Kindle Fire HD question

Liam

I know this is in gaming, but since you can play games on it.....there's a tenuous link!

Outside of naturally having more space to save things, is it really necessary to pick up a 32GB over a 16GB? How big are the files that you are likely to have on the system?

I think my Nexus is a 16gb, feels big enough for me with a fair few films etc on, plus GTA 3 and some odd smaller games. No photos or music mind, still use my phone for those. I bought a media importer app which allows me to shift stuff over from a USB if necessary, but I've never used it.

I guess it depends what you're going to be using it for. Having movies/tv on it would probably eat away unless you have them in some sort of file size saving format.

For games though, android stuff isn't usually that big so you'd need to have a lot of them combined to make any real dent on the thing. That is unless you're looking at any of the bigger names. Like, the latest Need for Speed on iOS is around a gig or two so I imagine android is fairly similar. Just looking at my phone, GTA III seems to be like 2gb. Other than that though, I'd say you're looking at probably tens of megabytes, maybe the early hundreds at most for most things.

Of course, as far as I can tell, you don't have the option of expanding it with a micro SD or anything so you can't help it that way. The 32gb is 'only' £20 more so I'd probably lean that way myself.

I don´t know about the Kindle Fire/Android, but i am very happy i picked up a 32gb iPad.

It´s based largely around what you want to use it for. If you are looking at surfing the web, streaming youtube/netflix/hulu and angry birds you will have no problem with the smaler device. - Now if you look at the bigger games (like Fifa, Baldurs Gate, Real Raceing on iOS ((no idea which of these games are around for kindle) you need to watch out. Because a 1,5GB Fifa is not only a 1,5gb FIFA, it´s also the download file and space required to unpack and move the installfiles around, so you roughly look at 3gb space needed to get the game installed. You can imagine how fast spaces fills up with big games like this and how fast you are at a point were you can´t install a game anymore because there is not enough buffer left. (this also needs to be kept in mind for bigger patches/updates)

Again, i don´t know about the Kindle fire, maybe it handles stuff different.

Might be worth bearing in mind you only actually get 12.9 gb due to the pre-loaded stuff. I got my girlfriend one at Christmas and I'd have got the 32 at that price difference.

Jetpack Joyride is really jumpy on it though so you might want to take that into consideration if you want it for 'proper' games.

Its not a Kindle Fire, but my girlfriend has a Nook, which plays games. She only has a 16 GB one, and it seems to be pretty good for gaming.

Personally, though, if the 32 GB isn't all that more expensive, I say go for it.