The Golf Club 2

Baddar

Must be cheating.

Is the issue that they don't promote fast enough? I'm curious to see how I place in the tournament this week. I've checked the higher up levels and like Baddar said, I've seen the winners shooting -44 or so, and I can't help but wonder, why are they not on the next level if they're shooting like that?

So, when playing the tournament, does it only show the Top-40 scores? I seriously hope I'm not dead last, while shooting even, in the next to last lowest league, but that's what the scoreboard is telling me.

Finished my first round at -1. Meh. I'm getting worse and worse the more times I play this course, unfortunately.

-6 on my second round. Should have been a -7, but the second to last put on the 18th really, really screwed me. I swear the ball went in and jumped out. -7 after two rounds. Have no idea if that's good enough to make the cut. Likely not after the horror stories I've heard from Baddar.

• Like 1

Have you checked the website? It'll only update scores for one round a day, but it'll show everyone who has submitted a score. 

I just looked. At the time of checking, you'll make the cut. 44th at the moment. :)

http://tgctours.com/Tournament/Leaderboard/487

And if you select scorecards, not only does it give each individual hole score, it now says if you got the FIR and GIR too, as well as the amount of putts. Nice.

Edited by Baddar
  • Like 1

I decided to give Hobble Creek a playthrough since you guys were on it for the tournament this past week. Not bad for a first outing. I took notes and everything! 

1st hole

Took driver, sliced slightly right and ended up in heavy rough. Recovery shot from 130 yards landed 14ft from cup, big break on it. Missed birdie attempt, tap in par. FIR no, GIR yes. Score: E

2nd hole

Overplayed fairway with the 3 wood, landing in heavy rough again. Recovery finished 12ft from cup, by no means an easy putt. Missed with inches to go, par again. FIR no, GIR yes. Score: E

3rd hole

First par 5, fairway hit! 220 left so went 5 wood, taking some off. Went past the hole and left myself around 15ft away for eagle. No real break on this, except it played downhill. Middle of the cup, eagle. FIR yes, GIR yes. Score: -2

4th hole

First par 3, missed the hole in one by a foot or so. Putt from 8ft goes in for birdie. GIR yes. Score: -3

5th hole

First shot straight down the middle, leaving 146yds. 8 iron into green leaves 12ft for birdie. Hits left edge and jumps out, easy par. FIR yes, GIR yes. Score: -3

6th hole

Second par 3, played from significantly higher than the pin. 8ft away and another difficult putt, but I sink it for birdie. GIR yes. Score: -4

7th hole

Short par 4, looks another birdie chance on first glance. Slight slice off the tee but comfortably in the fairway. Sand wedge in from 95yds leaves a 6 footer. Rolled in to go 5 under. FIR yes, GIR yes. Score: -5

8th hole

Narrow-ish fairway but I find the middle easily. Wind becoming a factor but pitching wedge is my friend, 7 feet away but as easy as they come with not much thinking required, just a straight putt. Another bird! FIR yes, GIR yes. Score: -6

9th hole

Another narrow one, and the 2nd par 5. Left 250 or thereabouts after the drive. Poor attempt to get it close as the bank at the front of the green saw my second roll towards the edge, leave a 40+ft putt. Under hit that to leave 11ft uphill, but like everything else so far, it falls to put me 7 under. Nice. FIR yes, GIR yes. Score: -7

10th hole

Playing the par 3's well so far, but this one drops 15ft short. No danger of a bogey but slight chance of a birdie if it's struck well enough. It is, but it creeps just left. Par, and the 4 hole birdie streak ends. GIR yes. Score: -7

11th hole

Another short par 4, driver the obvious choice here. Didn't connect well but fairway hit and 80yds to go. Poor judgement whilst trying to avoid the front slope and it goes 20ft past. It's turning near the hole but never troubling it. Par. FIR yes, GIR yes. Score: -7

12th hole

Short par 4 again but wind demands I drop to 5 wood. That leaves 138. 9 iron with slightly lower loft is pulled right and I'm a long way from the cup. I do well to get it within a few feet and tap in for par. FIR yes, GIR yes. Score: -7

13th hole

Third par 5 coming up. Tee shot leaves 185yds. Good shot here would yield an eagle attempt. 2nd isn't as close as I'd like but this is as easy a birdie hole as you could wish for. Or so I thought. Eagle putt downhill misses and rolls 10ft by. Putt back up the hill goes in, thankfully, and I'm 8 under par. FIR yes, GIR yes. Score: -8

14th hole

Another par 3 that looks easier than it is. I end up 14ft away but there's lots of break. Putt up the hill leaves 2ft left for an easy par. GIR yes. Score: -8

15th hole

Tee shot in fairway, slightly right. 2nd shot would have given me a birdie attempt but hooked right. Still on the green but the putt is left of the hole. Par. FIR yes, GIR yes. Score: -8

16th hope

Final par 3 on the course, and it plays at about 150. Wind says I should just use the 145 club and give it a go. Conservative approach due to the steep slope. I'll take par there. GIR yes. Score: -8

17th hole

Final par 4, 425yds. Purposely played right to have good angle on approach. Played it well but first putt was a shocker, a battle to get par now. And it misses. First bogey. FIR yes, GIR yes. Score: -7

18th hole

Par 5 to finish. Wide open fairway to smash into. 207 club is chosen for approach but it's nowhere near the hole.  Eagle attempt was more of a set up for a tap in birdie. Back to 8 under to wrap up. FIR yes, GIR yes. Score: -8

Total strokes: 63

A pretty straight forward one, providing the wind isn't too bad. Managed to hit every green, and as long as you aren't too far away, Par is achievable on each hole. Shame about that one bogey, but I was quite fortunate early on when I missed the first couple of fairways. Over four rounds I estimate I could probably shoot around 20 under. Walking away with less than 4 or 5 under from this one would probably feel quite disappointing. 

• Like 1

I'm thinking of entering the tournament the week after next. It's played on Gladstone Vale, the one the three of us played a few times. I shot 6 under on it yesterday. Only thing putting me off is that even with two rounds like that, 12 under probably won't even make the cut. :/

Yeah, I'd at least want to feel like I had a chance of making the cut in most tournaments.

I finished 65th overall in my first tournament, which I'm happy with but it could have been better if my third round didn't fall completely apart. I'd be happy to finish that high this week. Early practices have me on about par, hopefully improved club selection will help me score a couple under.

• Like 1