NFL Thread

Guest LdE1986

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Denver/Oakland had some SICK highlights including Wilson absolutely DESTROYING Wheatley in the hole on 4th and short, and that ridiculous one handed catch by Ronald Curry. That was possibly the greatest athletic move I've ever seen in any football game as the ball was tailing away from him, and he was at least 24 inches off of the ground.

Sauerbrun is a equal opportunity Gramatica hater. He hates Martin, Bill, and younger South Florida kicker brother Santiago. Martin and Sauerbrun almost went at it twice in 2002, one time after Santiago taunted Sauerbrun outside the Panthers locker room. He even went as far as to call the trio of Gramaticas, fucking greaseballs. Also a short while ago, he basically swayed management not to give Bill the kicker job for the injured John Kasay and even offered to kick himself, only if they refunded some of the $40K he lost in fines for being overweight.

What a feud between kickers and punters...so riveting...not.

Anybody think that Kelly Holcomb played himself into a contract somewhere next year through last week's game. Ron Jaworski thinks so and I kind of agree with him. He's never gotten a real fair shake to be the man in Cleveland and I think that a place like San Francisco would be an OK fit for him if they didn't draft a QB.

He's not going to San Fran...we don't have the frickin' cap to sign anybody. God has that team fallen from grace. But yeah, we'll get the top pick, so Matt Leinart, from what I see, is the future of the 49ers.

Holcomb, I could see, going to the Dolphins perhaps? Or another possibility a place like Indy or something, a place with a proven QB, but is looking for an insurance policy at QB so they wouldn't be TOTALLY lost without their proven QB. Whatever the case, Holcomb's always impressed me for some reason and I feel he should've gotten the chance to play earlier for the Browns than he did while Couch was suckin' it up.

Holcomb was in Indy, pre-Peyton. He wouldnt go there, their backups do nothing. Peyton his missed somethinglike under 100 snaps in his 7 years and has never been benched. Speaking of Indy, how bout Jim Sorgi. Jim Sorgi is from Fraser, MI.....about 15 minutes from and i know a ton of Fraser alumn and Sorgi (Along with Craig Krenzell) played in the very same Macomb Area Conference in which I did my high school footballing

FOXSports.com has learned that Davis has resigned as head coach and head of football operations for the Browns today, just one week after the team announced he would not be fired this season. The Browns are adamant that they have not fired Davis but this is completely his decision.

The Browns (3-8) lost their fifth straight game on Sunday, 58-48 at Cincinnati, and are in fourth place in the AFC North. The team went 24-36 and made the playoffs just once in Davis' four seasons as head coach.

Nearly two months ago the team decided to at the very least strip the Browns' top dog of his general manager duties — the two have since hired a head hunter to help owner Randy Lehrner and President John Collins do preliminary leg work on potential GM replacements.

The decision that Davis would be out as head coach after the year came soon after and nearly came to a head last Sunday night. However, no change was ultimately made — until today.

Davis and team brass met late last night and came to the agreement it was time to move on to pursue a college job.

Lehrner will meet with players today and then with the coaches before deciding upon the interim head coach. Defensive coordinator Dave Campo and offensive coordinator Terry Robiskie are both considered since they have already served in such a capacity once before.

Davis' resignation marks the final piece for removing the last remnant of the previous regime, a regime that never brought the Browns back to the prominence they had prior to moving to Baltimore.

Lehrner and Collins now have a clear pallet from which to work from in reversing the Browns' fortunes. The duo will look to hire a GM and a strong personnel department, something they've lacked since the Browns returned to Cleveland. They also plan to let the GM hire the next head coach.

The Browns job may be the most enticing for a GM candidate in all of football. They have a young owner who is willing to spend and is the opposite of Dan Snyder, Al Davis and the like and never meddles in the football aspect of the business. They have a president in Collins whose expertise is business and marketing and also has no aspirations to be a "football" guy. Thus, whoever moves to Cleveland to run the football side of the business will have no interference from top brass.

In addition, the city itself is a very attractive selling point to any GM candidate and coach. It's a pure football city with extremely passionate fans. While some cities are more baseball or NCAA basketball cities, Cleveland is all about its NFL team.

Davis' relationship with his players and the fans have grown increasingly tense in recent weeks. Prior to last Sunday's loss, fans were seen outside the stadium sporting t-shirts asking for his firing. Players are also said to have lost trust in their head man. Considering the tradition of one of the great football towns in the country, his relationship with both facets were deemed unacceptable by management.

Davis, who helped restore the University of Miami's program before joining the Browns in 2001, could be a candidate for the job opening at Florida.

Butch should take a year off then come back, give him some time to get all the bad shit out of his head before he regresses back to the college game. After that, he can throw his name in the fire and get pretty much any college job that becomes available and a good one seems to pop up every year as someone gets canned.

Yeah it was either gonna be him or Dave Campo. Campo was a less than mediocre coach with Dallas and Robiske has been an interim coach before in Washington when Norv Turner got kicked to the curb.

I don't think Butch Davis should have left in mid-season but I think he saw the Patriots on the schedule and just saved himself another beatdown.

Quick question, I saw on ESPNnews that Daunte Culpepper is leading in the Pro Bowl voting at NFC QB. Is there any place to find this cuz NFL.com and ESPN.com don't have it? Is ESPNnews just speculating? This crap annoys me.