NFL Thread

Guest LdE1986

They're comparing the two between the last two games because it's the playoffs, regardless of whether they did or not, the opposing time, your team as well, they gotta step up their game. And to completely dismantle the Rams like that when everybody thought it would be a shootout, proves to you and the rest of the people that think the Falcons and Vick are getting overhyped that Vick makes the ENTIRE team better. The D is absoutely ready for the Eagles.

And the fact is: it doesn't matter who they played, it matters as to who's going on to the next round, not who can throw more TD passes. Simply put, Vick's more valuable to the Falcons than Manning is to the Colts, but not by much. It was kinda evident when Sorgi was doing great with that offense until they started to pace themselves more and put the 2nd stringers in against the Broncos in Week 17. Last year, with like what 4 different QB's, the Falcons were one of the worst teams in football.

So get the bug out your ass about Vick, because nobody's overhyping the guy if he's in the NFC Championship game and Manning's on a plane back home. If he was overhyped, then he would be going home now wouldn't he?

And the conference thing, you don't know that Falcons can't beat New England or Pittsburgh, they haven't played yet. So save your assumptions on whether or not Vick can play against the so called super superior AFC teams compared to the NFC teams.

As much as I like Manning for the simple fact that he just goes out and works, I don't think he's going to win a championship anytime soon.

Edited by Livid

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He completely dismantled...an 8-8 team that didn't even win their division.

WOW.

Whats next for Vick? Shutting out the Cardinals?

You're a moron if you think a "stepped up" Rams are anywhere close to a "stepped up" Patriots team.

Lets look at it in Playoff wins this year...

Manning- 1

Vick-1

I'd say Denver is alot more comparable to the Rams than the Patriots are.

Lets see Vick beat the best team in his conference, then you can start giving him more credit than Manning.

Saw that Pats win coming from a mile away.

BTW, who else watched the post game show where Boomer Esiason called Manning this generations Dan Marino (since Manning will never win the big one) and then Dan Marino got extremely defensive and had this furious look on his face for the rest of the show. And then Shannon Sharpe started screaming about how the Colts got killed and Sharpe kept yelling over Marino and Marino looked super annoyed/pissed. High comedy.

Guest BacknBlackHoez

He completely dismantled...an 8-8 team that didn't even win their division.

WOW.

Whats next for Vick?  Shutting out the Cardinals?

You're a moron if you think a "stepped up" Rams are anywhere close to a "stepped up" Patriots team.

Lets look at it in Playoff wins this year...

Manning- 1

Vick-1

I'd say Denver is alot more comparable to the Rams than the Patriots are.

Lets see Vick beat the best team in his conference, then you can start giving him more credit than Manning.

Manning has played 2 games in the playoffs.

Vick is now preparing for his second.

Your point is void.

You can't claim Vick is a better QB than Manning if he's not playing against the same level of competition that Manning is. Currently, he's not.

With that said, I hope Vick tears the Eagles a new asshole and then, if the Pats cheat their way into another Superbowl, rapes them too.

I wasn't saying that Vick is a god because decimated a bad defense, I was giving kudos the D that held them to "The Greatest Show on Turf" to goose eggs in the second half.

It doesn't matter how many games they've played man, it only matters as to who's going on to the next round. The idea that they're not that good because their in an "inferior" conference is bullshit, because the Broncos won the Superbowl in a similar team to the Falcons right now, 6-7 years ago, beating the NFC, the superior conference.

All I'm saying is that to say that Vick isn't better than Manning isn't right, becuase they're completely opposite on the spectrum of QB's, but to say that he's overhyped when Manning was hyped to shit about he's the savior of the Colts to finally beat the Pats and he puts up 3 fuckin' points? Talk about overhyped. Until Manning can get past the Pats, he'll never be anything more than a statistical god, but guess what? Who's a better QB Joe Montana or Dan Marino? Montana because he has Superbowl rings and I feel that Falcons have a better chance to win the Superbowl sooner than the Colts do.

It doesn't matter if Manning threw for 55 TD's, it doesn't matter unless you can't go onto the next round, REGARDLESS of conference.

And to call me a moron for saying that a team is SUPPOSED to step up in the playoffs, when I absoutely know that the Patriots are a completely different team than the Rams, if you would read my other posts and not just the part where you're offended by. If you would have noticed, I'm picking the Pats to go to the Superbowl after getting past the Steelers.

And yeah, I concur with naiwf, please explain how the Pats "cheated" their way to 2 Superbowl victories?

Edited by Livid

Guest BacknBlackHoez

damn, everyone should cheat like the Pats.....if you can end up winning like that. Your whole arguement is void, cause your clearly just mad because your Colts cant beat the Pats....ever.

Vanderjagt out scored Manning in that game.... :o

Edited by BacknBlackHoez

SANTA CLARA, Calif. (Jan. 17, 2005) -- Baltimore  defensive coordinator Mike Nolan accepted the San Francisco 49ers' head coaching position and began to negotiate a contract to take over the team that had the NFL's worst record last season.

Nolan, a longtime coordinator for four teams who has never been a head coach, will replace Dennis Erickson, fired earlier in the month after going 9-23 in two seasons out of the playoffs. San Francisco went 2-14 this season.

After wowing 49ers owner John York in an interview, Nolan accepted the offer and flew to York's home in Ohio to work out a contract.

"(York) had a good strong list of candidates, and they felt that Mike was the perfect candidate to lead us into the future," 49ers spokesman Kirk Reynolds said.

Nolan earned the chance to follow in the footsteps of his father, Dick, who went 54-53-5 in eight seasons as the 49ers coach from 1968-75, winning three straight division championships and reaching two NFC title games while getting the first playoff wins in franchise history.

Mike Nolan, 45, has been in charge of the Ravens' powerful defense since 2001, following stints as the coordinator with the New York Jets (2000), Washington (1997-99) and the New York Giants (1993-96). Baltimore ranked sixth in the NFL in total defense last season.

General manager Terry Donahue was fired along with Erickson, and Nolan will have a hand in picking Donahue's successor as York rebuilds the once-proud franchise, which will have the top pick in the next draft.

York, who didn't return a call seeking comment, has said he planned to hire a coach with broad powers, supplemented by a general manager who concentrates on salary cap issues.

Nolan will be the 15th head coach in 49ers history.

Nolan was interviewed by York and two of the few remaining members of the 49ers' front office. He beat out four other candidates: New England defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel, thought to be Cleveland's top choice; Giants defensive coordinator Tim Lewis; and Tennessee coordinators Mike Heimerdinger and Jim Schwartz.

Southern California coach Pete Carroll, thought to be York's top choice after he fired Erickson, apparently was never contacted by the 49ers after initially saying he wasn't interested.

Nolan is a protege of Dan Reeves, who hired the former Oregon safety for his first NFL job with the Denver Broncos in 1987. He was a hot candidate for several head coaching spots in recent years, but his star had cooled slightly until the 49ers became interested.

Lets see...tuck rule, which up untill yesterday had only ever been called for the Pats

Last year, total abuse of wide recievers Vs The Colts and The Titans

The Pats secondary got away with multiple blatant pass interference calls, just ask Drew Bennett who was knocked out of bounds every time a ball came his way in that game.

The Pats have won both their superbowls cleanly, but to say they got their that way is bullshit, something even the new englanders I live with agree on.

Some of those like the "abusing of the WR's" is slightly true, but it's not cheating if the refs don't call it on them.

But the tuck rule thing is bullshit, because it's not like it wasn't a rule before that play happened, and it's a thing that doesn't happen much, but it's important enough to have called. Seriously, stop saying everything negative about the Pats just because they beat the Colts last night. Now enlighten me how they cheated last night? Perhaps it was using a WR as a CB. But seriously, I hope to god you stop whining about the Colts losing because if they really wanted to win, they would sacrifice some good players on offense and get better ones on defense.

But whatever, you're entitled to your opinion and I repsect that, I just happen to disagree with it.

You can't seriously be still bitching about PI calls. The league changed the rules so that the Colts could beat the Pats and they still blew their chance twice this year. Like Tedy said on SportsCenter what rules are you going to bitch about this year, they can't play in the snow?

As for the Manning/Vick argument, I don't know (or care for that matter) if my post was one of the ones you were offended by, but all I said was Vick suits my style better. If I were a coach I'd gladly give the difference between Manning's passing ability and Vick's for Vick's running ability. Let's also not forget that this is Jim Mora's first year as a head coach, Atlanta's first year running a West Coast Offense and only Vick's second healthy year in the league. And where are they? Playing for the right to go to the Super Bowl. To say that Mike Vick doesn't make a difference for this team is asinine. Not only does Vick make plays on offense he makes his whole team better.

Saw that Pats win coming from a mile away.

BTW, who else watched the post game show where Boomer Esiason called Manning this generations Dan Marino (since Manning will never win the big one) and then Dan Marino got extremely defensive and had this furious look on his face for the rest of the show. And then Shannon Sharpe started screaming about how the Colts got killed and Sharpe kept yelling over Marino and Marino looked super annoyed/pissed. High comedy.

I happen to agree with what Boomer was saying. You cannot rely on a QB to be perfect night in and night out to succeed. Every QB, great or not, has bad games, and if you have a horrible defense and a hit or miss running game, you won't win Super Bowls. Marino's Dolphins and Manning's Colts are built the same way, and will likely have the same result when it comes to hoisting the Lombardi trophy, ie. they won't, while a more balanced team, or dominating defensive team does every year.

Ok, I don't think Boomer was THAT bad, but yeah, he's not really the one to judge, but then again, that's his job. It's what he gets paid for regardless of whose toes he steps on. So to say that he has NO right to say that isn't right, because that's what he's supposed to do, analyze a game, a player and give his opinion. Hey, sometimes even Kiper Jr can be an ass, but he's still the best draft analyzer there is. Well known, at least.

As to who I would want on my team more, Vick or Manning, I would probably choose Vick, mainly because he changes a defense's gameplan more than Manning does. On any given day, Vick could decide not to run all that much, and pass and on that day, perhaps, he does a good job at doing that. Or, he could choose to run a lot, make plays with his legs, and make the team around him better. Manning, allbeit a great QB, doesn't exactly make his team better. Yes, he's great but Harrison, Wayne, Clark, Pollard, Edge, etc, etc. are good too. And on the Falcons they have Price, Dunn, and Ducket who are about average really, then probably the 2nd best best TE in football, Alge Crumpler (behind Antonio Gates, of course). So I would probably choose Vick over Manning, but close because of how you look at it and possible injuries and stuff like that.

The Peyton-Marino comparisons are spot-on, in my opinion. Both guys were the end-all, be-all for their teams, and would come up short at exactly the wrong times. Saw a USA Today article that compared the Colts to the Air Coryell Chargers of the 70s with Dan Fouts, Charlie Joiner, Kellen Winslow, etc. And as we all recall, the Chargers never did win a Super Bowl.

Now my question is this: I'm trying to remember if any dome teams have won the Super Bowl besides the Rams. And even when they did it, didn't they have home-field or play in someone else's dome?

My point there is that the Colts will never sniff a Super Bowl if they have to play a cold-weather game, because of the RCA Dome. Dungy's so clueless that he thought practicing in the dome would be a good way to prepare...if he left the stadium doors open. Simply put, teams hate to use the weather as an excuse, but it does make a difference...especially on an aerial team like the Colts. The cold makes it hard to throw the ball, catch the ball, you name it. If they ditch the dome and play outside, none of this retractable roof bullshit, they might have a shot.

And to all the "offense soaks up the payroll" arguments, I agree with that, too. They need to keep Peyton and Marvin together and build everything else around those two. Wayne and Stokley want too much cash? Bye. James wants to whine about going to Miami? Here, have a trade...you'll be the new Herschel Walker.

And all this coming from a lifelong diehard Colts supporter.

P.S. Michael Vick is the new Randall Cunningham...and Randall didn't win any Lombardi Trophies, either.

Yes, everyone's all like "OMG~! The Pats shut down the Colts offense!" meanwhile the Patriots didn't make it cold outside and make the Colts receivers be weak in the snow and not able to take a hit.

Although Belichick's such a genius...maybe it was all his doing.

Guest Bluesman

You cannot rely on a QB to be perfect night in and night out to succeed. Every QB, great or not, has bad games, and if you have a horrible defense and a hit or miss running game, you won't win Super Bowls.