Arsenal Thread

TMM

I'm just wondering, why is everyone creaming over Van Persie and Pennant? I mean sure they are both good talent, but it seems everyone is picking them over Pires.

Just seems weird to me because I have always seen Pires as the best midfielder that Arsenal have, heck for me he's one of the best players they have. It just seems weird to hear people not mentioning him in starting lineups.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just wondering, why is everyone creaming over Van Persie and Pennant? I mean sure they are both good talent, but it seems everyone is picking them over Pires.

Just seems weird to me because I have always seen Pires as the best midfielder that Arsenal have, heck for me he's one of the best players they have. It just seems weird to hear people not mentioning him in starting lineups.

Was weird seeing Bergkamp playing on the right, but he played well, putting in some decent balls. I think they should play Henry and van Persie up front, Reyes on the left, Pires on the right, Vieira and Freddy in center mid. And I cant wait for Campbell to come back, Toure has being playing well and the defence is so much stronger as Campbell and Toure as opposed to Cygan and Toure. And who was are third substitute, never heard of him before today.

Guest Pirate Chasin' Booty

You couldn't put Freddy in the centre, he's an attacking player, Vieira and Gilberto are defensive, an all out attack formation is asking for a fatal counter-attack. The worst part of this is, the media will kane Arsenal, speaking about fallen giants and all that shit, they need Campbell back, somehow he just makes the team work better.

Maybe sit him behind Henry and Piersie, I dunno. Yeah the media will be having a field day with the latest form, It's kinda like Owen, he went a bit of a slump, then scored 4 in 4, I think it will be like that for us. Once we get are next win there will be no stoping us.

I would hope a new central defender is high on Arsene Wenger's transfer list. We've been linked in the papers with Ledley King (again, it's paper talk for what that's worth), a lot of people think Wenger might buy another central defender and push Toure out to the right - wouldn't mind seeing that myself now.

We need to get over this slump. We miss Campbell but regardless of that we shouldn't keep letting leads go. It could just be a confidence thing, whatever it is they need to keep their concentration and discipline especially when leading the game.

Guest Pirate Chasin' Booty

Arsenal once again served notice of the blossoming talent present at Highbury as their youngsters saw off Everton 3-1 at Highbury to progress in the Carling Cup.

Despite falling behind, The Gunners were good value for their win over a full-strength Everton outfit, and triumphed courtesy of a second-half double from Italian youngster Arturo Lupoli.

Everton moved in front on eight minutes when Thomas Gravesen's low free-kick took a slight deflection off Jermaine Pennant in the Arsenal wall and skidded past Manuel Almunia who got a hand on the ball but could not prevent it going in.

Just a couple of minutes later most of the two sets of players squared up to each other in an ugly confrontation after Edu had caught James McFadden with a poor challenge.

Arsenal's first effort of note arrived on the quarter hour mark when Lupoli skipped past a couple of challenges before firing in a shot - but straight at former Gunner Richard Wright.

Quincy Owusu-Abeyie, a threat throughout, was the next to test Wright after some good individual work and, although he could not find a finish to match, he was not to be denied a minute later.

After Edu had won the ball in midfield, the lively Jermaine Pennant broke from midfield and slid into the path of Owusu-Abeyie who held of the challenge of Tony Hibbert and cut inside Joseph Yobo before drilling past Wright at his near post.

The Gunners almost made it two goals in two minutes, but Robin van Persie's goal-bound shot was deflected inches wide and into the side netting.

The Dutchman came close again on 38 minutes but, after another good run and pass from Pennant, dragged his shot wide of the target from the edge of the box.

Everton went even closer to regaining the lead on the stroke of half-time; McFadden slipped in Pistone who calmly cut past Justin Hoyte and seemed certain to score when he threaded his shot past Almunia, but the ball rolled against the post and bounced back to Johan Djourou who was happy to clear.

However, it was Arsenal who moved ahead seven minutes into the second period with Owusu-Abeyie the architect.

The 18-year-old effortlessly skipped past three Everton challenges before playing in van Persie who unselfishly squared for Lupoli to convert from six yards.

The Italian had a chance to grab his second from an astute Pennant pass, but Wright was out quickly to block at his feet.

With twelve minutes remaining van Persie saw a well-struck free-kick saved by Wright, but the game was put beyond doubt by Lupoli two minutes later.

Another slick move saw Mathieu Flamini feed Owusu-Abeyie who in turn waited before producing a accurate low cross which was swept into the bottom by Lupoli from 15 yards.

Frank McLintock was singing the lads praises during the coverage thingy on Sky Sports, and it's great to hear how well the kids did against the team 3rd place in the Premiership.

Plus, Everton had basiclaly same side that was played against Chelsea, their full strength side could only manage a 1-0 win. But our young guns could manage a 3-1 win B).

However, if we played out first XI, we probably would have drawn.

EDIT:

Fuck. Edu broke his foot. So that leaves us with Vieira, Fabregas and Flamini. We need Gilberto back, we miss him a lot.

Edited by Gooner4Life

Guest Reyes Henry

Gilberto always combined with Henry, Reyes/Pires, Viera, Ljunberg and Bergkamp to form a deadly counter attack. He stays back and thats a plus point, along with Cole and Campbbell. I don't like Lauren though.

Randomly, I went to the League Cup game yesterday. Just wanted to say that our youngsters were every bit as good as the press and Wenger has been billing them to be. Quincy Owusu-Abeyie was great from the moment he came on, Almunia made some good stops, Lupoli did really well, van Persie is near ready for the first team and Pennant is as ready as he'll ever be I think. Honourable mentions to everybody else who played, nobody let down the side.

Lauren has been one of our better players recently. I don't doubt there are better right-backs in the world, but I think he just fits in with the team and how we play. He's a midfielder originally, which suits out attacking and counter attacking game.