The Anime Thread

Ruki

First of all, I watched The Cat Returns on TV a few weeks back, then bought it on DVD and recently watched it again and laughed the whole way through at the weirdness of it both times. Anyone else seen it?

Also, are all other Studi Ghibli films just as good? I've seen Howl's Moving Castle, which I think was them as well, and I really liked the oddity of that.

Thirdly, please recommend me some good anime to watch.

Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away are good.

So as GoGo knows Lorina and I picked up on the Ouran Host Club recently... I just finished watching the series tonight.

OH GOD HOW DID SUCH A RIDICULOUS SHOW GET SO DAMN GOOD I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND IT BUT FOR SOME REASON I WISH IT DIDN'T END :crying:

*hugs*

Edit: Pandora Hearts episode 10, still only a Raw. I am not pleased.

Also, I am trying to download GTO, at a super slow pace sadly.

Edited by HiRuki Sugimura

The Gurren Lagann movies are/will be a condensed retelling of the original series. Exactly the same, other than the bits cut out.

I downloaded the first one (which runs through most, but not all, of the first half) a fair while ago...didn't bother to watch it because there seemed little point.

Also, given that the Ouran High School Host Club DVDs are ridiculously cheap (the two part sets of eps 1-13 and 14-26 are £12 each from Amazon), I'll be getting them for my birthday methinks. Sweet.

First of all, I watched The Cat Returns on TV a few weeks back, then bought it on DVD and recently watched it again and laughed the whole way through at the weirdness of it both times. Anyone else seen it?

Also, are all other Studi Ghibli films just as good? I've seen Howl's Moving Castle, which I think was them as well, and I really liked the oddity of that.

Thirdly, please recommend me some good anime to watch.

Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away are good.

This. I haven't seen much anime, and I haven't seen Mononoke, but Spirited Away was really good, imo. Get your hands on that if you can.

So as GoGo knows Lorina and I picked up on the Ouran Host Club recently... I just finished watching the series tonight.

OH GOD HOW DID SUCH A RIDICULOUS SHOW GET SO DAMN GOOD I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND IT BUT FOR SOME REASON I WISH IT DIDN'T END :crying:

Because it's fucking awesome?!?

Also, just finished watching the newest Haruhi episode. It was alright but I really want more. I hate having to wait... :(

For Studio Ghibli films, others I recommend you to look up include:

- My Neighbour Totoro

- Kiki's Delivery Service

- Spirited Away

- Laputa: Castle in the Sky

- Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro

- Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind

- Princess Mononoke

- Grave of the Fireflies

I've listed those on a rough order of "most innocent fun" (especially Totoro, which is the sweetest film ever) through "cool and a little more adult" (such as Mononoke) to "fucking depressing" (Grave of the Fireflies). Technically the Lupin and Nausicaa films were made before the Studio was formed, but they're both directed by Miyazaki so they're as good as.

Others I've seen, like Whisper of the Heart or Porco Rosso, are okay, but I didn't really care for them enough to feel it worth recommending them. Tales from Earthsea I thought was decidedly poor. Pom Poko just weirds me out with its abundance of raccoon testicles. :shifty:

Grave of the Fireflies was Ghibli? I didn't know that.

But yeah that's a pretty fucking depressing film. And to think that some people who are blind to the fact that "cartoons" can be adult as well put it in the Kids section at video stores.

Ghibli were hired by another company to do the production work, so it's sort of theirs and sort of not. It's not directed by Miyazaki though, which certainly sets it apart.

Did you know that in their original cinema release, My Neighbour Totoro and Grave of the Fireflies were screened as a double bill? How fucked up is that?

So, the series GTO better be good, I just spent a week downloading it. Stupid crappy torrents :angry: Anywhere from 6 hours to 2 days for it to be done, sigh.

But time to go watch episode 10 of Pandora Hearts!

It was reported that Warner Bros. was hoping to make two live-action Akira films. These films would have been based on three of the books from the Katsuhiro Otomo six-volume series, but with the action taking place in New York instead of Tokyo. Bloody-Disgusting is reporting that director Ruairi Robinson has left the project. The site says that as of now, the project is "dead as a doornail".

Noooooooo!!!!! :crying: But I didn't know it was based off of books. Interesting.

Also, Norro! Watch more Pandora Hearts! Let's talk about how awesome Echo is, how creepy Break is, and how much we want to kill Vincent!!!!

I am full of fail, I am on likely the last episode or two of GITS 2gig...and....I didn't burn those episodes to disk. And I deleted them. So, when I get some downtime, watching them at work.

Then I can watch the movies!

And I got a bunch of movies now! Totoro, Kiki, Mononoki, Grave of the Fireflies....gonna watch them all eventually.

So yeah, saw the trailer for the live action Avatar movie. Well, the teaser, rather.

... gotta say, it fills me with hope. That looked fucking incredible. Though the kid playing Aang... ehhhh, I dunno. He's just... I dunno, something about the kid is off and it's a stretch seeing him as Aang, but maybe if he acts the part well and isn't always SERIOUSFACEMCANGERPANTS then he'll do a good job with it.

On another topic: notes from Metrocon! That was the convention that I went to over the weekend. I'll go ahead and put up the little end-of-day notes I took about the event sometime this week. It was a lot of fun, albeit a little lacking in terms of interesting panels for me. Ah well, at least there was a lot happening to keep up my interest.

Plus I got some kickass swag from the thing so I can't complain, really.

Well, that makes one of us who thought the teaser trailer was visually impressive. What I assume was supposed to be the Air Temple looked decent, but nothing else impressed me in the slightest. For some reason the zooming out to reveal the Fire Nation ships almost made me laugh because it looked so goofy and I couldn't place my finger on why.

It's a teaser trailer, though, and I've already pretty much dismissed the movie as having any hope of being good, so really it was never going to change much.

Edited by GoGolina Love