When you find a new band with a large discography

VerbalPuke

So there I was fucking around on Spotify, looking for similar stuff to Gogol Bordello. They had the Electric Six as a "similar artists", not sure if they are but I figured I'd check them out.

They're very good. Really fucking good, in fact listening to them I thought "Hey, these guys do kind of remind me of the band that opened for Gogol Bordello, and that band was from Detroit. Oh hey, the Electric Six are from Detroit."

So far out. Good. They sort of incorporate a lot of stuff into their music, it's dancey but rocky but synthy but far out. Disco punk has been thrown out there.

So anyway, they have a large discography, so far I've listened to the beginning of each album. All so far so good, this is sort of overwhelming but worth the trouble.

The singer cited the Talking Heads, Freddy Mercury, Devo, Captain Beefheart, and some other band as an influence. It makes sense.

• Like 4

Electric Six's first album was a notable success in the UK, think it may have gone gold (100,000 sold) here. The singles embedded above got played all the time on Kerrang back in the days when people watched TV channels consisting of music videos.

Then they did a needless cover of Radio GaGa and thus came obscurity before album 2 even came out.

• Like 1

Man, being English, it's bizarre to think of people just finding out about Electric 6, they were EVERYWHERE for like a year.

Glad you're enjoying them though, they're super good fun party music.

• Like 3

Yeah, off the back of Gay Bar & Danger! High Voltage in particular they were a massive deal in the UK, but never really made an impact in the US, I remember several interviews with the lead singer about how he found it difficult to explain to his mother that being on the cover of the NME was a big deal to him. 

Prior to being Electric Six, they were The Wildbunch, and recorded some fun stuff then (a lot of it got re-recorded as Electric Six, but there are still some gems), and were birthed of the same weird "nu-blues" scene as the White Stripes (with Jack White singing the "female" vocals on "Danger! High Voltage", as much as the band tried to insist that he didn't). They're an interesting lot, though I don't know much about them after the second album - I vaguely remember Dick Valentine going a bit bonkers and either sacking half the band or the band quitting because they couldn't deal with him, and that being a large part of the reason they faded into relative obscurity after that.

As for the "needless" cover of Radio GaGa, I don't know how true it is, but I remember an interview with Valentine where he explained that the song was never a hit for Queen in the US, so when he first heard it he thought he'd stumbled on some rare gem and desperately wanted to cover it, not realising it had been a massive hit in the UK.

Anyway, Dance Commander is their best song.

Yeah, I noticed on Spotify the similar artists thing had the White Stripes and Raconteurs (ok, Detroit bands, fair enough). But then I saw Dandy Warhols, The Killers, Franz Ferdinand, and Weezer, The Hives, and all of that sorta garage/indie stuff from ten years ago I hate.  

A few years back Dan ran around posting "Danger! High Voltage" lyrics in practically everyone's profiles. That's how I first heard about them.

Also bruh The Hives were great for a period.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/27/2016 at 11:03, VerbalRick said:

So there I was fucking around on Spotify, looking for similar stuff to Gogol Bordello. They had the Electric Six as a "similar artists", not sure if they are but I figured I'd check them out.

They're very good. Really fucking good, in fact listening to them I thought "Hey, these guys do kind of remind me of the band that opened for Gogol Bordello, and that band was from Detroit. Oh hey, the Electric Six are from Detroit."

So far out. Good. They sort of incorporate a lot of stuff into their music, it's dancey but rocky but synthy but far out. Disco punk has been thrown out there.

So anyway, they have a large discography, so far I've listened to the beginning of each album. All so far so good, this is sort of overwhelming but worth the trouble.

The singer cited the Talking Heads, Freddy Mercury, Devo, Captain Beefheart, and some other band as an influence. It makes sense.

Oh, I forgot to say, check out Royal Republic. They're a bit Electric 6, a bit Hives, they're very, very fun

On 01/09/2016 at 00:32, VerbalRick said:

Yeah, I noticed on Spotify the similar artists thing had the White Stripes and Raconteurs (ok, Detroit bands, fair enough). But then I saw Dandy Warhols, The Killers, Franz Ferdinand, and Weezer, The Hives, and all of that sorta garage/indie stuff from ten years ago I hate.  

You are terrible.

• Like 1