Criminal on Netflix

K

I just finished watching the three episodes of Criminal (UK) on Netflix. And I absolutely loved it.

For the uninitiated, Criminal is a police procedural (The UK version stars David Tennant, Hayley Atwell, Clare-Hope Ashitey, and Youssef Kerkour.) There are versions set in four countries, filmed in the local languages (France, Spain, Germany, and the UK.) The episodes take place entirely within the interrogation room of a police station, and the corridor outside the room.

It's like 12 Angry Men or something. No flashbacks, no action scenes, no forensic stuff, just a police interview for forty-five minutes. Just a few people talking for nearly an hour. It was brilliant. Very refreshing.

Next week when I have a bit more time I'm going to watch one of the other ones (France, Spain, Germany) and see how it is. 

Anyone else watched?

I've scanned past it whilst looking for something to watch without actually stopping and looking. 

From what you've said, I'll add it to the list of things to watch over the next few weeks. Sounds intriguing. 

I'm guessing they don't overlap? Simply four separate episodes?

• Like 1

It's just three episodes, and you should watch them in order, because the interviewing officers are the same people each time, and there's the thinnest of threads running through their relationships that should be enjoyed in the right order. Other than that, the story of each episode is completely independent. You're literally just a fly on the wall for one interview per episode. They're all unrelated.

It's great.

I imagine the German, French and Spanish ones are the same. three different stories each, with a sliver of a storyline in the background.

I saw a headline about this show on AVClub the other night. I believe whoever did their pre-air review called it "Law & Order-like police procedural". The headline seemed positive though.

Watched the UK ones over the weekend. Really enjoyed them. Great scripts, well acted and the format means it's tightly paced and rewards you for paying attention.

• Like 1