Sean Connery has passed away at the age of 90

Hobo

I don't really see how Benj was misquoting anyone... in any sense.

Regardless of whether or not it was his partner, she was still a woman. His initial comments were about it being fine to hit a woman "just not in the same way you would hit a man" like it was some kind of gallant statement and it happened in the 1970s. It was in 1993 that the famous line came from, and that was based on the idea that women argue because they are asking to be slapped. There's nothing to misquote about what he said. He said it, that's about it. Gotta deal with it. I think we all understand why he believed that and why it isn't shocking that he did but at the same time, there were other men born in the 1930s that would never hold that opinion.

By the by, if you're going to bring up wives might want to talk to this one first.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, apsham said:

I don't really see how Benj was misquoting anyone... in any sense.

Regardless of whether or not it was his partner, she was still a woman. His initial comments were about it being fine to hit a woman "just not in the same way you would hit a man" like it was some kind of gallant statement and it happened in the 1970s. It was in 1993 that the famous line came from, and that was based on the idea that women argue because they are asking to be slapped. There's nothing to misquote about what he said. He said it, that's about it. Gotta deal with it. I think we all understand why he believed that and why it isn't shocking that he did but at the same time, there were other men born in the 1930s that would never hold that opinion.

By the by, if you're going to bring up wives might want to talk to this one first.

To be clear, I wasn't accusing Benj of misquoting anyone, just the stuff on Twitter which Hobo was referring to. His misogyny is undisputed.

I personally dislike being told I am "splitting hairs" when I am simply stating facts.

• Like 1

I doubt you meant to defend Connery @The Kraig but your initial post has some worrying wording and you do imply that it isn't as bad to hit a woman if they're your partner. You said it wasn't "much better" to hit your partner than (presumably) any other woman, so it's reasonable when others take offence to that.

Nobody should put their hands on their partner at all, it is abhorrent. Connery has said more than once that he advocated/condoned physical violence against his partner and allegedly carried that out in his marriage. That is disgusting and makes him a misogynist regardless of when he was born and how he was raised.

• Like 4

I was going to mention the whole thing about hitting women in the original post but I chose to leave it out. I wasn't quite sure how to put it really.  I then saw a tweet that I thought summed up my feelings on the situation. I then paraphrased that my post in case it comes across like I was just grabbing information from Twitter in a vaccum. It wasn't new information to me personally.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Adam said:

I doubt you meant to defend Connery @The Kraig but your initial post has some worrying wording and you do imply that it isn't as bad to hit a woman if they're your partner. You said it wasn't "much better" to hit your partner than (presumably) any other woman, so it's reasonable when others take offence to that.

Nobody should put their hands on their partner at all, it is abhorrent. Connery has said more than once that he advocated/condoned physical violence against his partner and allegedly carried that out in his marriage. That is disgusting and makes him a misogynist regardless of when he was born and how he was raised.

Yeah, sorry for upsetting anybody. I actually didn't even know he was married twice, I thought his wife now (Roquefort) was the wife he was referring to (I mean, it's still possible he was), so shows what I know. I think his alcoholism and extra-marital stuff is also quite well known, but the majority of people online are only just hearing about it now since it wasn't massive news at the time.

Times have changed and attitudes here have changed a hell of a lot since he was born, which was the point I was trying to make (poorly). I believe that's where his shitty attitude to women came from.

I'd just like to say sorry to @Benjaminfor not being as clear as I might have been. I don't want to trivialise domestic abuse, or gender-based violence to any degree and I am sorry for causing disgust by talking about it in that way.

• Like 3