Sean Connery has passed away at the age of 90

Hobo

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-54761824

Sir Sean Connery has died at the age of 90, his family has said.

The Scottish actor was best known for his portrayal of James Bond, being the first to bring the role to the big screen and appearing in seven of the spy thrillers.

His acting career spanned decades and his many awards included an Oscar, two Bafta awards and three Golden Globes.

Sir Sean's other films included The Hunt for Red October, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and The Rock.

He was largely regarded as being the best actor to have played 007 in the long-running franchise, often being named as such in polls.

His Oscar came in 1988, when he was named best supporting actor for his role as an Irish cop in The Untouchables.

He was knighted by the Queen at Holyrood Palace in 2000.

In August, he celebrated his 90th birthday.

For some reason one of my earliest memories is his face on the spine of a copy of the book of The Hunt for Red October.

Living to be 90 is a pretty good run.

• Like 1

• Hobo changed the title to Sean Connery has passed away at the age of 90

Just saw the news. Connery is one of those figures who is just so massive in terms of everything he was involved in and how often his face was, well, everywhere. Part of me thinks that won't ever make it feel like he's truly gone. People will be watching movies starring Sean Connery until the end of time.

90 years of a great life. RIP.

Can't remember who said it, but he had such a global impact on people that the default Scottish accent for impersonations/cartoons/etc was his accent (which is quite unique). He had a good run, especially considering his lifestyle. He was also a bit of a sneaky fellow, residing in the Caribbean to avoid taxes while at the same time supporting Scottish independence...but I'll leave that for the politics thread.

He is essentially the Scottish Clint Eastwood, a lot of old fellas in Glasgow are shedding a tear tonight.

Cheersh.

770c3866-0ca0-11e9-85d9-37db0e8cf837_ima

Ultimately, and I'm re-stating a tweet I saw, while I enjoyed his work I also can't really shake remembering he was on the record as being fine with hitting women.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Hobo said:

Ultimately, and I'm re-stating a tweet I saw, while I enjoyed his work I also can't really shake remembering he was on the record as being fine with hitting women.

This. I liked alot ofhis stiff but as a person, well, use whatever bad word you prefer for someone who thinks it's alright to slap a woman as par for the course. 

• Like 1

On 01/11/2020 at 12:18, Hobo said:

Not to be a pedant, but he stated in domestic arguments he felt it was fine to slap his partner. Not saying it's much better, it's clear he wasn't advocating beating women for sport. Obviously I don't agree with any form of abuse in case people think I'm defending his assaults. As awful as it sounds, that's quite radically improved behaviour for a Scotsman born in 1930. The history of domestic violence here is quite staggering, but since there's no statistics it's hard to visualise. I only learned this through gender-based violence conferences/training. He was also in a sexual relationship with a woman when he was 14 (i.e. raped), so perhaps that also has something to do with his "traditional" mentality.

As I kind of mentioned earlier, he is also a bit of a plaster saint, essentially hiding in the Caribbean to avoid taxation while simultaneously championing Scottish independence. So there's a lot about him that people don't like, but I don't think it's simple.

If you would prefer to hear his wife's opinion of him: 

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/sean-connery-death-dementia-wife-micheline-roquebrune-james-bond-b1525605.html