Anime Thread

gunnar hendershow

Just started season 6 of My Hero Academia a few days ago. Every episode has been great so far, with high stakes and just insane scenes. Episode 8 just started with...

Spoiler

Eraser cutting off his own fucking leg.

• Like 1

Watched Your Name yesterday evening and boy, it pretty much hit every emotional button I have in my soul.

Also an absolutely gorgeous looking film, with a phenomenal score. Fully understand the high praise it got, because it really managed to keep me hooked from start to finish.

• Like 1

• Lineker changed the title to Anime Thread
12 hours ago, JasonM said:

Watched Your Name yesterday evening and boy, it pretty much hit every emotional button I have in my soul.

Also an absolutely gorgeous looking film, with a phenomenal score. Fully understand the high praise it got, because it really managed to keep me hooked from start to finish.

So damn good! I actually have it on Blu Ray.

The blu ray for Your Name has sat on my shelf for months and I still do not yet feel emotionally resilient enough to watch it.

Not the first nor last anime movie I've face this conundrum with.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

So my favorite anime this season by far is Insomniacs After School. As the name suggests, the anime is about two high school students who both suffer from Insomnia. One day, Ganta Nakami stumbles upon the school's abandoned astronomical observatory. While trying to take a nap in there, he meets fellow insomniac Isaki Magari who has been taking naps there for a while. They both decide to turn the place into their personal sleeping spot at school. They eventually get discovered by a teacher and in order to continue to use the room, they have to resurrect the school's astronomy club together. It is really sweet. But in today's episode, one of two says something ominous:

Spoiler

Aside from studying the stars, Ganta has also been doing night-tome photography as part of club activities. He is taking pictures of the night sky and wants to submit the best one to a local photography contest. As is the norm for that kind of anime, he has developed feelings for Isaki and took some pictures of her as well. After meeting her for lunch and showing them to her, she tells him to continue to take pictures of her  and to "Leave a trace of me behind" as they are about to part ways.

She is going to die, isn't she? It is going to be revealed that her insomnia is the symptom of some kind of fatal disease and she will not live to see the end of the story, right? :crying: If so, I think I'm going to drop this because I'm not in the mood for a story like that.

Edited by Hellraiser
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I've not really watched masses of anime over the years but after coming across some live performances from the voice cast from BanG Dream! I've caught up on that with the latest series "It's MyGo!!!!!" being particularly good with the expected good music alongside a really good story. The lead vocalist not only has a beautifully soulful voice but the characterisation of someone on the spectrum is really well handled. One episode is near entirely told with and from a first person perspective which is really worth checking out.

The real reason I came into here though is the other series I've unexpectedly fell in love with. Umamusume : Pretty Derby, basically it's a series that tells the stories of great racehorses ups and downs while turning them into horsegirls and having them all go to school together.  It's a bizarre premise but I'm loving the little details from a horse racing perspective (did not expect a cutesy Japanese series to reference Eclipse!) and the heart and humour that it offers alongside it all that keeps me absorbed in it all. The third season is coming out now and has been great, it takes place more recently than the others so there's an element of familiarity with it that hasn't detracted so far but for unexpected gems it's worth checking out if you enjoy sports series'.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Was bored so decided to watch a couple of bits while multitasking. The first one was Akiba's Trip, which is far from high art but the over the top parodies of pretty much everything around all sorts of geek culture were really funny and it was better than I expected it to be. It's still got the "evil creatures that can only be defeated by removing their clothes" element as you'd expect but enjoyed it.

Other one I decided to watch on a whim was 16 Bit Sensation : Another Layer, it's about a games artist who feels constrained by the developer she works at just churning out cheap and easy visual novels. After visiting a mysterious games shop she finds herself travelling back in time (it's the title of the first episode, don't think it'd count as a spoiler!) and meeting up with a small development studio. It does switch as the series going on to being a bit... stranger... but found myself going along for the ride with all the twists and turns and really enjoyed it. Managed to keep the heart and humour as it got further out and while a couple of episodes took things out of the initial premise somewhat, it was enough to keep me watching. What impressed me most about it - spoiler for those who've seen it

Spoiler

I was anticipating in the end that it turned out the whole series was essentially her game idea , I was pleasantly surprised when this wasn't the direction they finished with.

I've been struggling to stay with any series for the past couple of years, not including MHA. I tried getting back into AoT but only got 4 or 5 in. I watched Bocchi The Rock and enjoyed it, but I got to the halfway point and fell off.

• 2 weeks later...

The internet seems obsessed with this Frieren anime, including apparently scoring it above FMA:B on something, and I know nothing about it except that the characters look profoundly uninteresting.

I would give it a try, but I'd need to work on shaking off my "pfft yeah right" bias first.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, stokeriño said:

The internet seems obsessed with this Frieren anime, including apparently scoring it above FMA:B on something, and I know nothing about it except that the characters look profoundly uninteresting.

I would give it a try, but I'd need to work on shaking off my "pfft yeah right" bias first.

Yeah I have been seeing a bunch of FB "anime group" posts about that in my feed lately. 

I have been delving into Attack on Titan and have been absofruitely loving it - it's so dang good. I also just started Dragonball GT as well because I've never watched it (but have watched maybe half of Super, so far). I wish I could get the Dub of it on Hulu but they only have the Sub so I have to focus while I watch lmao. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/03/2024 at 13:16, stokeriño said:

I know this was a week ago, but I watched the first 3-4 episodes. It's good, but nowhere near FMA:B. It's not an exciting anime by any stretch.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished Ya Boi Kongming! today, and for a show with such a dumb premise it really did manage to hit all the right notes to deliver a wholesome story from start to finish. Final episode actually gave me some goosebumps, too :D

Hope there'll be a second season, because there's definitely still room to explore the story.

• Like 1