PRESS START

probablyoliver

The idea of shadow drops is an interesting one, and bringing up Fallout, I know Todd said something along the lines of if he was allowed he would announce games much closer to the release than he did with Fallout 4. I know it's all about marketing etc but I do feel giving games a shorter hype time (assuming it's one highly sought after like Fallout was) is the better way of doing things since it keeps it in the public consciousness and you don't burn out waiting for it, like, say I am on Starfield.

9 minutes ago, 9 to 5 said:

The idea of shadow drops is an interesting one, and bringing up Fallout, I know Todd said something along the lines of if he was allowed he would announce games much closer to the release than he did with Fallout 4. I know it's all about marketing etc but I do feel giving games a shorter hype time (assuming it's one highly sought after like Fallout was) is the better way of doing things since it keeps it in the public consciousness and you don't burn out waiting for it, like, say I am on Starfield.

Agreed, I'm still very excited for Starfield, and I'm happy for them to take their time with it, but I'd love for them to have been radio silent on it until it was six months from release. I think shorter marketing cycles also gives people less time to speculate and allows folks to keep their expectations in check.

9 minutes ago, 9 to 5 said:

I'd love it if companies only revealed games when they were more or less finished. Obviously, keeping shareholders happy is why we don't see that very often with the biggest titles, but it's nice on the rare occasions when it does happen.

I think most publishers are starting to get a little better at focusing their showcases on games slated to release in the near-ish future, especially now that so many of them have their own smaller reveal events instead of doing one big blowout at E3. You'll still get the occasional "Here's a logo; pre-order now!" moments, but I haven't noticed as many as there used to be.

5 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

I'd love it if companies only revealed games when they were more or less finished. Obviously, keeping shareholders happy is why we don't see that very often with the biggest titles, but it's nice on the rare occasions when it does happen.

I think most publishers are starting to get a little better at focusing their showcases on games slated to release in the near-ish future, especially now that so many of them have their own smaller reveal events instead of doing one big blowout at E3. You'll still get the occasional "Here's a logo; pre-order now!" moments, but I haven't noticed as many as there used to be.

Ugh, the "here's a logo" thing annoys me every time.

It's been, what, five years since we saw the Metroid Prime 4 logo and we've never seen anything after that. I know sometimes it's used as a make good to get some positive press (Elder Scrolls 6 after Fallout 76, Skate remake after, y'know, everything EA ever did), but it's always just such a downer. If EA waited to show off Skate until there was something to show, they'd be a ridiculous amount of hype for that game. Instead we got nothing and now when there is something to show it'll be far less exciting.