Taking Back Sunday/Fall Out Boy

Guest Silver Bullet

Rum Is For Drinking Not For Burning is a rather funny song, but I don't really think you could call most of their other songs funny, on any playlist I usually have:

Buried A Lie

Bite To Break Skin

The Irony Of Dying On Your Birthday

But that's just right now, I pretty much have all of both their albums. Well, album and EP.

It isnt what most people expect, because Adam passes the mic out to the crowd the whole time. But, like he says, if you want to hear him sing then listen to the cd.

Admittedly, I haven't heard the band in question, but this strikes me as being uncommited, and well, lazy. If he's not going to bother singing his songs 'since they're on the CD', why have concerts? Like I said, I'm not familiar with them, so there may be something I'm missing here, but that just doesn't seem right to me. I know loads of people who think that the live performances are much more important than CDs, and I kinda agree. Anyone else get what I'm meaning or is it just me?

The first time I saw TBS perform live was a clusterfuck on video, some live bar and the song was "Cute Without The "E" (Cut From The Team)" Adam was running around the stage, and would sing just about every other word in his lyrics (it goes back and fourth between the two guys) and in the middle, he started wrapping the mic chord around his neck and sang something the whole time. The only parts I could catch were:

"Take this cord, wrap it around my neck..... i'm the..... and you're the whore who sits at home"

The song itself is quite a fast, pump up song. Then they ruined it by making an acoustic version, in which they sound high most of the time.

Guest Silver Bullet

If your a TBS fan, when you go the the concert, you know what to expect.

You know that the mic will be passed out and the energy in the room will be amazing. You know Adam wont sing 90% of the time, but you know that it wont take away from the experience. Of seeing him on stage with HIS band. You then feel like your part of the band while your screaming out the lryics while Adam encourages you.

It isnt what most people expect, because Adam passes the mic out to the crowd the whole time. But, like he says, if you want to hear him sing then listen to the cd.

Admittedly, I haven't heard the band in question, but this strikes me as being uncommited, and well, lazy. If he's not going to bother singing his songs 'since they're on the CD', why have concerts? Like I said, I'm not familiar with them, so there may be something I'm missing here, but that just doesn't seem right to me. I know loads of people who think that the live performances are much more important than CDs, and I kinda agree. Anyone else get what I'm meaning or is it just me?

When I saw TBS playing at the Warped Tour I don't recall them ever passing out the mic...

i believe i was pretty understandable when i said small venues

Wow, way to be a total asshole, he was just making a statement.

Taking Back Sunday is getting really big again, and going around the school. Then again every morning on the cafeteria jukebox all I hear is that fucking Gob song, the new Sum 41 song, a Dashboard Confessional song that I liked, but is overplayed and a whole shitload of Yellowcard.

And stupid shits change it everytime I put it on "To The 5 Buroughs" urgh.

Guest Silver Bullet

I agree with Malenko 100%.

As for TBS not passing the mic at the Warped Tour, WAY to big of a crowd to even attempt it.

But to be in a small venue and have the band so close to you and playing the music while you have a chance to sing the lyrcis is amazing.

I hate when i'm in a live show and the fuckin band just plays the songs without saying anything. If the only thing i wanted was to listen to the bands songs i would listen to the record. There was no need for me to pay the extra cash.

If I wanted to hear fans sing I'd go to a kareoke bar. Yeah it's a good way to get the crowd pumped but I like seeing artists actually deliver and prove themselves rather than just having a big energetic show. From my experience, the bands that rely soley on big pumped up gimmicks do so because they can't live up to the record. Sure, it might still be a good show and have fun (which is the main thing) but I like a little of both. There are those bands that can pull off a huge live show with alot of energy and still come off as great artists, but those are few and far between. Of the "punk" gigs I've been to that included this sort of handing-the-mic-out stuff, the actual band sounded like shit and the vocals were even worse seeings as the mic wasn't with anyone who could actually sing. Great energy in the crowd but sounded like absolute shit.

Anyway, I haven't seen either of these bands live (and I have no interest in seeing either of them as they're not really my thing) so I can't really say either way.

All pop-punk bands are good live. Then when you get to the CD...well, yeah.

I suppose Anthony's right on this. I was watching the Warped Tour '04 Reunion on FUSE this afternoon when I got home and Yellowcard etc. while I can't usually stand them actually sounded pretty decent.

I've only heard one Fall Out Boy song (I forget which, something about Mondays or something?) It was on FUSE's Rockzilla show I think. I've also only heard one Taking Back Sunday song, "A Decade Under The Influence", and it was okay. Usually I'm not a big fan of emo music (bleuch!) but TBS was alright. Didn't care for Fall Out Boy though..