A Question for the Brits

The InterKnight

English people have no patience. I really enjoy the sport, have done for a long time. Been to see two American Bowls, and I follow the British Senior League, thouhg my beloved Birmingham Bulls have fallen on hard times. I'm trying out for my uni team soon too. It's aweosme, I love the contact and strategy involved.

English people have no patience. I really enjoy the sport, have done for a long time. Been to see two American Bowls, and I follow the British Senior League, thouhg my beloved Birmingham Bulls have fallen on hard times. I'm trying out for my uni team soon too. It's aweosme, I love the contact and strategy involved.

Guest Locutus of Borg

Yeah, actually, they've got NFL Europe over there, which a lot of NFL players go to as a sort of summer "training camp". I think Berlin or some German city like that won the World Bowl last year.

I like watching it from time to time, but it just lasts too long. I cant devote that much time to watch something with so many gaps that over your end would be full of commercials, but over here are filled with nothing of value (some insight on a rubbish play that gained a yard or something). I used to really hate it, but playing Madden finally let me understand what the hell was going on which made it a lot better and I always watch the Superbowl now.

NFL Europe? Pah, may as well be NFL Deutschland. Rhein,Berlin, Frankfurt, Cologne , Scotland, Amersterdam. 4 out of 6 teams. London/England's franchise, the Monarchs folded 'cause the morons started travelling round the country rather than having a set base.

The organised game over here is merely amater, countries like Germany have semi-pro leagues (hence the four NFL Europe teams). Our amatuer league is struggling to be honest, there's not much interest, it's really quite sad for the hardcore fans, like myself,to see the teams play in fairly nice stadiums, to shabby stadiums, to plain fields now, no stands.

More info at www.gridionuk.com

I never realized you guys even had organized American Football on your side of the pond! While i'm not a football (meaning American football) fan myself, i'm very curious to know more about organized AF in the United Kingdom.

Fuck off. It was massively popular just a few years ago, and the Super Bowl is still the most watched sporting event (single day) over here. In fact, the American bowls of the late 80's early 90's actually sold out Wembley. Ok, so it's not quite got the hardcore support it once had, but there's still a solid fanbase, even if they tend to just watch the NFL on tv.

I tried out for my university team today (yeah, the british universties/colleges have a league, it's very successful), it's fun, I'm jsut useless :P

I've been to see the Claymores a couple of times but I always come away with a sour taste in my mouth. The Claymores always lose and some of the cheerleaders are kinda fat. It gets depressing seeing Hampden (Capacity 50,000) filled with about 2,000 fans if you're lucky.

For all the Britishers on the board, I'd just like to ask:

Have any of you ever gotten to see American Football?  And if you have, what is your general opinion of the sport?

BRITONS, jeez, if you're going to call us then call us by our correct names at least :P

I find American Football to be extremely dull, it's basically what WWE is termed as "Sports Entertainment", it seems more to be about the entertainment aspect than the achievements in itself. I can see the attraction, I do quite like it, but I'll not see it as a 'sport', if you will, until it removes the 'Americanized' feel.

Again you've lost me. American football should not be trying to be Americanized? I vaguely understand your point, but without the razzamatazz (best word ever) theres nothing left but empty pauses.

American football is what it is, you can't change and it won't change. If you don't like that, then you really don't like the game.

I said I don't like the fact it takes away from the sport, the sport in itself is great to watch, it's brutal oft times, but I just can't stand the times they take away from achievements by having a bunch of cheap bimbos dancing and a few cheap tricks to keep a crowd going. If I wanted to see that then I'd go mass dogging.