Most overated player in the world?

FLiam

Who is the most overated player in the world, in your opinion?  

43 members have voted

1. 1.

• Raúl
    • Roberto Carlos
    • Hernan Crespo
    • Paul Scholes
    • Freddie Ljungberg
    • Michael Owen
    • Wayne Rooney
    • Other (please say)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Raul is the most underrated player in the world. If he never wins the World Footballer Of The Year award, it will be a travesty. He isn't a flashy as Zidane or Figo, but is just as good, if not better. I wouldn't go for anyone on your list, so I'm going to say other, with Pippo Inzaghi as my choice.

Raul is the most underrated player in the world.  If he never wins the World Footballer Of The Year award, it will be a travesty.  He isn't a flashy as Zidane or Figo, but is just as good, if not better. I wouldn't go for anyone on your list, so I'm going to say other, with Pippo Inzaghi as my choice.

Pippo? I'm interested to know why.

And Raul may have had a bad season, but look at his past goalscoring tallys with Madrid. IMO, he's in poor form because of Ronaldo. Ronaldo is not the kind to set up his partner to score, he prefers to go for goal himself, hence, Raul has to play deeper, something he's not used to when playing alongside Morientes.

IMHO, the most overrated player has to be Alan Smith. The media just keeps going on about him, when he's not really that good. They should look at his goalscoring stats.

I went for Pippo because every time I see him, he just looks lazy and uninterested. And, has any striker been caught offside needlessly more often? It might just be because he's alongside Sheva, and most strikers would look poor compared to him, but I've just never been impressed. Also, it might be his transfer fee from Juve to Milan (£25 million wasn't it?), because for that, I'd want a bit more than a diving pretty boy who gets caught offside 9 times out of 10.

I'd say Roberto Carlos is the most over-rated defender. For starters he's not much of a defender and for some reason he believes himself to be the best free-kick taker in the world when in reality he hit a fluke against France about 6 years ago. 99% of his freekicks plough straight into the wall.

I really can't see why so many clubs would like to have him when there are far better and younger options.

Guest Pirate Chasin' Booty

Its usually the 'wonderkids' that are dreadfully overrated, people like Freddy Adu, granted its not his fault and theres a chance that he'll still be a brilliant player as he ages, but too much hype usually ends with the player breaking down and eventually turning shit.

I'd probably agree with Roberto Carlos though, he's not as good as everyone makes out, alot of Brazillian players are extremely overrated.

Rivaldo - Just incredibly over-rated beyond belief

Alan Smith - Decent. And thats it.

No-One on your list is overrated IMO. Raul is FAR from being overrated. He's a quality striker with a very good record.

Guest PacaVeli777

if ur gonna say most overrated player in the world, the add in some names people in america may notice....... but ill put other & say Kobe Bryant.....

if ur gonna say most overrated player in the world, the add in some names people in america may notice....... but ill put other & say Kobe Bryant.....

Were talking Football, not Basketball. But Kobe could probably get into the Everton team right now.

How that guy can say Inzaghi I dont know. You couldn't have hardly watched him play if you think that. I rarely see people going on and on about him either, all I hear is people on about Beckham, Ronaldo etc etc.

For me its Wayne Rooney. He scored one decent goal agains't Arsenal then apprently he was the best player in English football. For me he rarely does anything for Everton and England. Someone needs to replace this guy and find someone for Owen upfront for England.