The Transfer Thread

I know that Birmingham have signed Muzzy Izzet, Tottenham has announced Santini as their manager.

Mark Delaney may be joining Middlesborough, as will Mark Viduka

Danny Mills has apparently ended talks with Newcastle as they never wanted to pay the wages he wanted, so Birmingham is the likely option

On the Leeds front, we are interested in Paul Butler, Julian Joachim, Paul Gerrard, Steve Simonson, Dion Dublin and Danny Tiatto. We will be getting Barry Hayles too, if Dom Matteo completes the switch to Fulham although he said he wants to live in the North

I heard about a month ago that Celtic were interested in Ian Harte, and Jason Wilcox will be off to Derby or Burnley. All seem to not have been followed up. Danny Milosevic has joined Millwall on loan

Man United are being linked with Oliver Kahn too

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Birmingham City have confirmed the capture of Muzzy Izzet on a free transfer from Leicester City.

The Turkish international has long been expected to quit The Foxes when his contract expires at the end of June.

Midlands rivals Birmingham had been leading the hunt for the influential midfielder and have concurred on a three-year deal with Izzet.

The former Chelsea trainee spent eight years with Leicester but the club's failure to retain their Premiership status inevitably prompted his departure from The Walkers Stadium.

Blues boss Steve Bruce had been confident of signing Izzet since the season concluded and he has now snared his man.

Izzet will stake his claim for a place alongside former Foxes team-mate Robbie Savage in the St Andrews engine room next season.

Meanwhile, Trinidad & Tobago international Stern John has ended the uncertainty surrounding his future by signing a new one-year contract.

John had been concerned about his prospects with Birmingham, particularly following the acquisition of Emile Heskey from Liverpool.

But he has clearly been reassured by Bruce that he has a key role to play in the club's plans and has penned a 12-month extension.

Source

Tottenham Hotspur striker Helder Postiga has been offered to Portuguese giants Benfica on a year-long loan, according to director of football Jose Veiga.

The Portuguese international striker, who has been included in coach Luiz Felipe Scolari’s squad for Euro 2004, has had an indifferent first season at Spurs with only two goals in 12 starts.

Benfica are on the look-out for a striker and Postiga would initially arrive on a year-long loan, with an option for another season with both clubs negotiating a fee for the player thereafter.

Postiga has recently admitted that his future may lie away from Tottenham unless he is guaranteed more regular football under their new manager.

The 21-year-old was offered to Sporting Lisbon a few months ago and the only stumbling block would be his elevated wage demands.

Source

On the Leeds front, we are interested in Paul Butler, Julian Joachim, Paul Gerrard, Steve Simonson, Dion Dublin and Danny Tiatto. We will be getting Barry Hayles too, if Dom Matteo completes the switch to Fulham although he said he wants to live in the North

Your welcome to them. Infact, I will pay for their petrol money across the Penines, just take them both of our hands. Now. Please.

And Everton are interested in Dom Matteo.

Everton and Manchester City lead the chase for ex-Red defender Dominic Matteo, currently plying his trade with newly-relegated Leeds United. Fulham wanted him in part-exchange for striker Barry Hayles but Matteo apparently wants to stay up north, leaving the Blues of Merseyside and Light Blues of Manchester to duke it for the player who is valued at £750,000.

ToffeeWeb Rumour Mill

Southampton are reported to be close to signing Halmstads midfielder Mikael Nilsson.

The Sweden international is due to be out of contract at the end of the year and represents an attractive option in the transfer market.

Metz have also been trailing Nilsson but Paul Sturrock is believed to be keen to add the 25-year-old to his Scandinavian contingent at St Mary's.

The player shares an agent with Saints star Anders Svensson.

"My agent has received a contract proposal from Halmstads BK," Nilsson told Expressen.

"I know that some other clubs are interested.

"If everything is alright, and it is interesting, I would like to move."

Source

In the Mirror today it says that Spurs are interested in signing Sylvain Wiltord from Arsenal. Interesting.....

Also Veron has moved to Inter on a season long loan.

Blackburn Rovers have increased their offer for Norwegian talent Morten Gamst Pedersen just 24 hours after having their initial bid rejected.

The Ewood Park outfit moved in on the Norway international on Thursday evening, however their first approached was swiftly rebuffed.

According to reports in Norway, Rovers have tabled a new offer of £1.5 million for the Tromso winger, although £600,000 of the fee is appearance related.

Blackburn manager Graeme Souness is a big admirer of the Scandinavian talent, having watched him on a number of occasions.

It remains to be seen whether Tromso will accepts Rovers' improved offer with the side wanting around £2.5 million for the highly-rated star.

Gamst Pedersen is tempted by playing his football away from his native country, but until a fee is a agreed the decision whether to move or not is not his choice.

"It tempts me to play abroad," he said to Bladet Tromso. "If I go out it's to play football, not to sit on the bench or in the stands."

Source

Monday's rumours

Today's rumours found more in the barrel than they expected

Rob Smyth

Monday June 7, 2004

CarrGY2bg.jpg

Would you trust this man against Henry and Trezeguet?

The last time Jamie Carragher lined up against Thierry Henry, he looked like a jelly-legged rabbit caught in the headlights while being given three seconds to work out the square-root of 1747 or face certain death. So it doesn't bode too well for the Burberry massive that Carragher could be doing it all over again on Sunday - because, according to The Sun, John Terry is only 50/50 for the big game!

Terry has a niggling hamstring injury, and if he is ruled out England will have to choose between Carragher and Ledley King for the unenviable task of shackling Henry, Trezeguet, Zidane, Pires and friends. What price the Wes Brown Comedy Experience now?

Rafael Benitez will be unveiled as Liverpool manager in the next 48 hours, and he wants to bring his three most-trusted lieutenants with him. Leonardo, Michelangelo and Donatello - aka Roberto Ayala, Pablo Aimar and Santiago Canizares - could be on the move from the Mestalla to sunny Anfield.

Just across the park, Everton will have elephants on their shirts next season after they agreed a sponsorship deal with Thai firm Chang Beer. Insert your own joke here, etc.

David Moyes, meanwhile, is worried that Peter Kenyon may be oozing on the other end of a phone if Wayne Rooney manages to score some goals and not chin anyone at Euro 2004. "My belief is that there is only one club in the world that can afford Rooney at the moment, though that does not mean we want to sell him to that club," Moyes said, whipping Chelsea suits into a frenzy.

Like a fashion victim with a decision-making disorder, Blackburn have been looking for a new Duffer for nearly a year. Now they may have found one in the bargain bin: they will clinch a £2m deal for Tromso's Norwegian trickster Morten Gamst Pedersen this week.

Sir Bobby is willing to pay £4m to buy Alan Shearer a new best friend - Chelsea's groin-gashing German, Robert Huth.

Newcastle are also in for Marc Overmars, and have offered him £30,000 a week to provide a challenge to Laurent Robert and Hugo Viana for the privilege of doing naff all on the Newcastle left wing next season.

Leicester have offered £400,000 for some special Dundee-flavoured Nachos, while Juninho is staying at the Boro.

"Juninho is under contract at Middlesbrough and he will remain. If someone offers us £30m obviously we will consider it," said funnyman suit Keith Lamb, before launching into a rib-tickler about a horse walking into a bar.

source - football.guardian.co.uk

Just across the park, Everton will have elephants on their shirts next season after they agreed a sponsorship deal with Thai firm Chang Beer. Insert your own joke here, etc.

David Moyes, meanwhile, is worried that Peter Kenyon may be oozing on the other end of a phone if Wayne Rooney manages to score some goals and not chin anyone at Euro 2004. "My belief is that there is only one club in the world that can afford Rooney at the moment, though that does not mean we want to sell him to that club," Moyes said, whipping Chelsea suits into a frenzy.

Everton having elephants on their shirts would be pretty apt, because most of our defenders and half of our strike force have less pace than your average elephant.

Moyes said that Rooney is not going to Chelsea, Man Utd or anywhere else, and even if he was going Chelsea would be the only ones who could afford him, not that he was worried they were going to make an offer.

Instead, the Scot is under no pressure to accept any offers for the 18-year-old and hints at Chelsea being the only club capable of finding the funds to sign Rooney.

"If he does well, the surrounding hype will be inevitable," said Moyes.

"But it's my belief that only one club in the world can afford Rooney at the moment. That does not mean we want to sell him to that club.

"But I want to get the message across that if people are going to talk about buying him, whether he has a good Euro 2004 or a bad one, there is only one club who could do that.

"He is an Everton player and will remain that way and we have no intention of selling him."

Is what he actually said.

Everton have been warned they are almost certainly going to lose their inspirational Danish midfielder Thomas Gravesen.

On the day the Goodison club distanced themselves from claims they are in discussions with Thaksin Shinawatra over selling a stake in the club to the Thai PM, they were confronted with damning comments from Gravesen's agent about the player's future.

Gravesen, currently on Euro 2004 duty with Denmark and banned from their opening game with Italy next Monday, is considering walking away from the club on a free transfer next summer or opting for a move now.

Everton plan to have new contract discussions with Gravesen when he returns from the Portugal finals, but the player's agent John Sivebaek has hit them with worrying claims.

Former Manchester United defender Sivebaek had earlier said Gravesen would leave Everton if they failed to improve the squad during the summer.

But now it seems that the Dane is going anyway, either with a cut-price transfer fee now or on a free transfer when his contract expires next summer.

Sivebaek explained: "Thomas has no problem staying another year in Everton, but quite frankly I find it hard to think he is staying.

"It would be wise to sell him now and make some money. That is up to Everton, but we are also speculating in letting the deal expire next summer."

Sivebaek clearly has no problem upsetting Everton chief David Moyes with his claims.

He continued: "There's nothing wrong in saying you want to try something else.

"Maybe Everton won't get the improvements Thomas is looking for, because it is apparently not easy to get the huge stars to Everton.

"Hopefully something will happen around Thomas during the Euro 2004 finals.

"Everything will be open if he plays well, but on the other hand everything can also go wrong.

"Thomas is gambling under pressure, but he can handle that, and the finals in Portugal could be perfect for him.

"It could be an economic good solution to let the deal expire, but that is not our strategy.

"It could end like that, but we are not double-crossing Everton, because Thomas likes the club, and we want to be straight in our way to do business.

"I think the club understand that Thomas would like to try something else."

Everton, who installed owner Bill Kenwright as chairman last week as well as a new chief executive in Trevor Birch, desperately need cash to meet Moyes' plans.

That means bringing in players to impress the likes of Gravesen and persuade the midfielder to extend his contract.

Graveson's agent wants him to leave, as does 70 percent of the Everton crowd, but Moyes says he isn't going anywhere:

David Moyes has reacted angrily to the statements that John Sivebaek made over the weekend about Thomas Gravesen's impending avaliability. "Thomas has shook hands with me on an agreement, which we’ve reached in private," said Moyes, adding that “If players don’t want to play for Everton, then they won’t play for Everton, it’s as simple as that.  That suits me and if Thomas Gravesen tells me that himself, I will accept it — but I won’t accept that from someone I don’t know

Why is Robert Huth described as "Groin-gashing"?

And Robert Huth is described as groin-gashing because he nearly castrated Alan Shearer.

EDIT:

Southampton have completed the signing of Belgium international defender Jelle van Damme from Dutch outfit Ajax for an undisclosed fee.

The tall left-back underwent a medical before sealing the deal after agreeing terms and putting pen to paper with the St Mary's outfit on Tuesday afternoon.

The 20-year-old found first team opportunities scarce at the Amsterdam ArenA after failing to dislodge Brazilian Maxwell for the left full back role.

Skysports.com first revealed at the end of May that The Saints were tracking Van Damme and now the South Coast club have snagged their target.

"He is a tough character and a good player. We are delighted to have got him," said Saints chairman Rupert Lowe to the club's official website.

"He fits the mould of the kind of players we like to sign. He is big and strong and young.

"He has a fair amount of experience for someone of his age and he is already an established international with a big future. We think he will do well in The Premiership.

"It is a big signing for us and I would think the fans will love him as a player, as well as enjoying the chance to have the name Van Damme on their shirts!"

Source

Edited by evertonfan

Manchester United are expected to complete the signing of £6m-rated defender Gabriel Heinze on Thursday.

The 26-year-old Argentina international will arrive from Paris St Germain after an impressive season in France.

Sir Alex Ferguson has been looking to strengthen his defensive options with Rio Ferdinand receiving an eight-month ban for missing a drugs test.

Heinze's capture will take United's summer spending to £13m following the arrival of £7m striker Alan Smith.

Argentina have called Heinze into their squad for the World Cup qualifiers next month.

Before joining PSG, Heinze played for Valladolid in Spain and Sporting Lisbon in Portugal.

United would have no problems gaining a work permit for Heinze as he holds a German passport.

Chelsea reportedly made a £7m bid for the player in January, but PSG insisted Heinze would not be allowed to leave until the end of the season.

Source: bbc.com

GENOA PLAN SHOCK SHEARER BID

Genoa are reportedly trying to pull off an audacious swoop for Alan Shearer that would rock English football.

The Newcastle United captain is the top target for the Serie B side with president Enrico Preziosi believed to be offering the centre forward a lucrative three-year contract.

Genoa are keen to link Shearer up with Sasa Bjelanovic, who scored 11 goals last term, but the deal would be a major shock if it was to progress.

Shearer seems settled in the North East of England and has always insisted he will retire after next season.

Prolonging his glittering career by another two seasons would totally disrupt his plan, although he would no longer have the rigours of Premiership football to contend with.

Preziosi is believed to be a man on a mission but Shearer would need a great deal of persuading to head for Italy.

Any move would have to be considered extremely unlikely at this stage but reports in Italy are claiming Preziosi is bullish about his chances of landing the 33-year-old.

Shearer has even been quoted in local newspaper Il Secolo XIX, although the comments have yet to be verified.

"There are talks, I cannot deny that," he is quoted as saying.

"Genova is a place that attracts me and I don't consider them to be a Serie B side.

"I'd like the opportunity which I think is very important.

"I admire the Genoa people and their mentality, which is similar to mine."

Developments are anticipated in the near future.

Source

BWAHAHAHA!!! Because Shearer said that didn't he? Oh look...a responce from Alan...

SHEARER RULES OUT ITALY SWITCH

Newcastle United striker Alan Shearer has swiftly ruled out reports that he was on the verge of sealing a move to Italian Serie B side Genoa.

Media reports in Italy stated the former England captain was virtually signed and sealed, however the 33-year-old has denied this is the case.

Although the move seemed unlikely, Genoa president Enrico Preziosi was believed to have lined-up a lucrative three-year deal for the experienced hit-man.

Shearer did admit he may consider a move abroad, but that would only come to fruition should he be informed by manager Sir Bobby Robson that he was no longer in his plans.

"I have been made aware today of Italian press reports which say I have been in talks with Genoa. This is completely untrue," explained Shearer.

"I have just one year left as a footballer and the only target on my mind is to help Newcastle finally win some silverware as a thank you to the best supporters in the world.

"The only way I would consider anything other than this is if Sir Bobby Robson told me that I was not to be a first-team regular next season."

Source

BOLTON WIN BRIDGES RACE

EXCLUSIVE

Skysports.com can reveal that Bolton have signed former Leeds United striker Michael Bridges.

Bridges has penned a two-year deal at The Reebok Stadium after rejecting several other clubs to join Bolton.

The likes of Fulham, Leicester and Sunderland were keen on signing Bridges after his release by Newcastle.

Bolton have won the race for his signature with Bridges exclusively revealing to Skysports.com that he was delighted to be moving to the club after being impressed by Trotters boss Sam Allardyce.

"I am delighted with the move and it is a two-year deal," Bridges told skysports.com.

"I was impressed by everything at Bolton the gaffer, the stadium and the players at the club.

"I had a few offers from other clubs, but Sam's influence and their status in The Premiership was a major factor in the move.

Bridges is looking forward to the challenge at Bolton as he looks to get back playing regularly after an unlucky time with injuries.

"I am looking forward to playing at Bolton next season and with the likes of Jay-Jay Okocha feeding me the chances to score it is exciting," he added.

"It is a massive challenge and Bolton are on the way up considering how they finished last season and that was a big plus point for me."

Source

If Bridges avoids injury for the season and stays fit, this could be a good signing. If he can't, Bolton just got screwed.

GERMANY'S ZIEGE FINDS NEW CLUB

Germany defender Christian Ziege has joined Bundesliga outfit Borussia Monchengladbach on a two-year deal.

The 32-year-old left-sided player, who has been looking for a new club after failing to get a new deal at Tottenham, is Gladbach's fifth new signing for the coming season as they attempt to form a team capable of challenging for Europe.

"I'm delighted that Christian Ziege has decided to join us," beamed Foals' sports director Christian Hochstatter.

"He is an additional left-sided player, whose skill and experience will help improve our squad."

Ziege returns to Germany after a five-year stint in The Premiership at Middlesbrough, Liverpool and Tottenham, having previously starred for both Bayern Munich and Milan.

The experienced defender was a controversial late entry to Rudi Voller's Euro 2004 squad when Christian Rahn of Hamburg withdrew through injury.

Source

Thursday's rumours

Today's rumours: technically minded, apparently

Georgina Turner

Thursday June 10, 2004

mourinhoap128.jpg

Bye Mum, bye Dad. Oh, who am I kidding, I can't do it!

Fresh from telling everyone he was a boy who could happily venture off into the outback without his parents to wipe his nose for him (which loosely translated meant he didn't need familiar faces around him to settle in at Chelsea), Jose Mourinho is looking to hand over an £18m chunk of Roman's fortune for former charge Deco from Porto.

Yes, that's right, about 15 minutes after signing Paulo Ferreira. From Porto. And suited slimeball Peter Kenyon has even come up with a change of tack speech for him: "Of course I want players from Porto to follow me in this new adventure," he smarmed.

Bridge beancounters will be pleased to hear that £10m of that should be heading straight back into the coffers, about the same time as Adrian Mutu boards the plane to Atletico Madrid.

Jacques Santini has taken one look around at White Hart Lane and decided he'll be tugging at Daniel Levy's purse strings when he gets back from Portugal. "The midfield will be my priority," he said, shortly before circling ads for Lyon defender Patrick Muller and out-of-contract Arsenal striker Sylvain Wiltord and sliding them under Levy's door.

Juventus and Valencia have snapped out of it and denied any interest they might have shown in Mark Viduka. Steve McClaren has now taken to lurking outside his pad with 4m Middlesbrough dollars stashed in his back pocket and a maniacal grin on his face.

Bolton reckon they're on the verge of signing Aliou Cisse...

... while Everton are intent on nabbing Marseille's Mathieu Flamini for a mere £1.5m.

Meanwhile Iain Dowie is busy making eyes at Sunderland's Kevin Kyle, and there's talk that Tore Andre Flo fancies a season at the Palace too.

And Dwight Yorke, UAE collective Al-Ittihad, free transfer, it says here.

source: football.guardian.co.uk

--------------------------------------------------

I've also heard from a mate who claims to have an Anfield source that there will be an announcement regarding the Liverpool manager tomorrow.

I can't believe Chelsea are signing Deco - what will this mean for Lampard, surely they can't play in the same centre midfield?

Poor Frank, he has had a fantastic season, which will hopefully continue at Euro 2004, and he now has this to worry about.

Villarreal president Fernando Roig has confirmed Chelsea full-back Mario Melchiot is the club's number one transfer target, while also ruling out signing ex-Celtic star Henrik Larsson.

Dutch defender Melchiot was told he can leave Stamford Bridge after not being offered a new deal.

Larsson, meanwhile, is searching for a new club after ending his fruitful seven-year association with the Scottish giants.

'In the case of Mario Melchiot we are negotiating and we hope that this week we can have some new information,' Roig told the Villarreal website.

'What I can say is that after the signing of San Lorenzo defender Gonzalo Rodriguez our only objective is to incorporate a right-back.

'(Larsson) is totally discarded, though,' Roig added.

'We talked with Larsson but it is his intention to wait until after the European Championships and so we are no longer interested.'

Source

ADDICKS SET TO BAG GUNNERS ACE

Friday 11th June 2004

1188173.jpg

Charlton Athletic are reportedly set to sign Nigerian international striker Kanu from London rivals Arsenal on a free transfer.

The former Internazionale and Ajax star, who arrived for £4.5 million five years ago, is searching for a new club after failing to agree a Highbury extension.

Kanu is believed to have concurred a deal with Charlton and is set to earn a sizeable signing-on fee, to help offset a reduction in the £42,000-a-week deal he was on at Arsenal.

With the Nigerian keen to remain in London due to the variety of food on offer, Addicks' boss Alan Curbishley has ensured he remains in the capital.

"You can get Nigerian food like garri and okro, which is not the case in most of the other cities I've lived in. This is one of the reasons why I like London so much," said Kanu.

Charlton have the likes of Shaun Bartlett and Paolo Di Canio at The Valley, but after just missing out on Europe, Curbishley was keen to strengthen his attacking options.

Source

Well, he ain't going to be play if he did stay, so it's good he's leaving. He's just eating up the wages and doing nothing really in return. I hope he does good at Charlton though