The Transfer Thread

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kluivert to Boro?

Davids to Bolton?

I can't see them happening, but if they do, then.. well, I guess it'd be great for the teams.

On the Villa front, Robert Huth has stated he would like to move to Villa, for a season long loan, in his chase for first team football.

Gianfranco Zola's agent and club president have both dismissed speculation that the impish Italian is on his way back to Chelsea.

Reports have indicated that the Cagliari veteran has been offered a lucrative deal to return to Stamford Bridge, initially as a player but also with a view to becoming involved on the coaching side too.

The gifted former Parma star was voted Chelsea's best-ever player during a hugely successful stint in West London and only rejected the chance to stay at the club because he had already given his word to Cagliari before Roman Abramovich's takeover.

"Sincerely, we have never received any communication from Chelsea," his agent Flavio Marrucco told Corriere dello Sport.

Cagliari president Massimo Cellino has also stressed his determination to keep the player in Sardinia.

"He's our emblem and he will continue being it," Cellino stated.

"If we achieve promotion to Serie A, Cagliari will try to sustain the challenge with the other sides and, to do this, we will not be selling our jewels.

"So all the best players will stay, as will the coach."

Cagliari are still fighting for the right to play among Italy's elite next season

Source

Chelsea defender Robert Huth has revealed that the managerial uncertainty at Stamford Bridge has halted his plans to take a season-long loan with Aston Villa.

The big centre back, 19, is keen to take up a temporary move to Villa Park following an approach from manager David O'Leary for his services for next term.

However, the German Under-21 international has been told to wait on a decision of a move until The Blues resolve their ongoing managerial issue.

"Moving to Villa would be a good opportunity for me to get more Premiership football," Huth said.

"But I have to wait."

Source

Pompey sign Griffin from Newcastle

LONDON, May 26 (Reuters) - Portsmouth have signed defender Andy Griffin from Newcastle United on a four-year deal.

The 25-year-old, a free agent after his contract ended, played 90 games for Newcastle after joining from Stoke in January 1998.

'I've like Andy for some time and he has been affected by the competition there for places,' said Portsmouth manager Harry Redknapp.

'He had a time out with injury and it's always going to be hard to get back in a side with the calibre of Newcastle on a regular basis when you look at the competition.

'He's a good solid back and can push forward and he's what we've been looking for as a natural right-sided player.'

Portsmouth were this season's surprise package in the premier league following promotion in 2003, finishing a creditable 13th in the 20-team division after going unbeaten in nine of their last 10 games. Newcastle finished fifth.

Source

Guest OnlyOneKeano

Tottenham have reportedly offered Holland international Edgar Davids a £6m, two-year deal to ply his trade in the Premiership next season.

Midfielder Davids has been identified as the man to lead the Spurs midfield next season by new sporting director Frank Arnesen, who has scrapped plans to take PSV skipper Mark van Bommel to White Hart Lane.

Davids is available on a free transfer after failing to reach an agreement with Spanish giants Barcelona, with whom he was on loan for the second half of the season after leaving Juventus.

The player's agent, Robert Geerling, has revealed that a "huge" offer has been received from an English club - with Chelsea and Bolton also said to be in the running to sign the 31-year-old.

"There is no agreement with Barcelona. The offer did not interest him and no other meeting is planned. We have a great offer from England." Geerling said in the London Evening Standard.

That offer is believed to be around £60,000-a-week, which would make Davids the highest wage earner at Spurs.

Arnesen is already sounding out potential transfer targets, despite not officially beginning his new job until 1 July, and he sees Davids as the perfect player to inject bite into a lightweight midfield ahead of the new season.

We just dont get it maybe hes not fucking intrested . If Frank Arneson brings him in , Arney is a god !

Edited by OnlyOneKeano

Can't see Liverpool signing Neil, although it would prevent anymore broken legs.

What about training? ;)

And I hope we can get Pedersen. Maybe the fact we have been tracking and talking to him for a while will swing in our favour.

Wednesday, May 26, 2004

Kluivert keen on move to England

AMSTERDAM, May 26 (Reuters) - Dutch striker Patrick Kluivert has hinted he is keen to move to England after being told by Barcelona this week that he can leave the Spanish club.

'I played for six years now in Barcelona and both the club and I are going separate ways,' Kluivert told reporters at a Netherlands Euro 2004 training camp on Wednesday. 'I think it's a good time to look at other clubs.'

Kluivert said it had long been an ambition of his to play in the premier league.

'I have always said England would be one of the preferred countries I would like to play in,' he said.

'There a few clubs but no concrete clubs yet. I will first play the European Championship and after that we will see what is going to happen.'

The 27-year-old Kluivert has been linked with Manchester United and Arsenal in recent years, while Chelsea and Newcastle United are among other premier league clubs who could be interested in signing him.

He started his career with Ajax Amsterdam before spending one season with AC Milan.

Source

Birmingham City have confirmed they are interested in Crystal Palace winger Julian Gray, but have denied holding talks with the former Arsenal man.

It had been thought Blues were close to completing a deal for the 24-year-old, who is out of contract in the summer, but so far talks have not taken place.

While City have not yet moved in on the one time Arsenal man, they have confirmed they are interested in securing his services.

Should Gray join the St Andrews outfit he would become Steve Bruce's third acquisition this close season following the arrival of Emile Heskey and signed agreement with Muzzy Izzet.

"Birmingham City can confirm that Julian Gray is a player that Steve Bruce is interested in," read a club statement on the club's official website.

"However, no discussions have yet taken place between the club and the player and furthermore no agreement has been reached."

Crystal Palace could yet make a Premiership return when The Eagles take on West Ham in the First Division final, but Gray will take no part following his red card against Sunderland.

Source

Belgium international defender Jelle van Damme has revealed he is strongly considering a move to Southampton.

The Ajax stopper has also been targeted by Anderlecht but is keen to prove his worth in The Premiership after Paul Sturrock showed an interest in his combative style.

After growing tired of being used mainly as a substitute in Amsterdam, a move away from Ajax looks a formality.

Coach Ronald Koeman has already stressed he will not change his plans with Maxwell staying at the club for at least another season so the route to the first team looks blocked for van Damme.

"I can't say much about it," he told Gazet van Antwerpen. "I can only confirm Southampton want me.

"The English style of play suits me better so the choice would be simple."

Anderlecht were hoping they could persuade the 20-year-old to return to his homeland.

Source

Rivaldo is reported to be on the verge on completing a move to Scottish champions Celtic.

The Daily Record claims The Bhoys have invited the Brazilian star on their pre-season tour of America, and suggest he could make his Celtic bow against Chelsea on July 24.

The 32-year-old is a free agent having quit Cruziero in February and is also a target for Premiership outfit Bolton Wanderers.

However, as skysports.com exclusively revealed, the former Barcelona and Milan forward set his heart on a move to Parkhead because of the lure of UEFA Champions League football.

Rivaldo looks set to be joined at Celtic by compatriot Marcio Amoroso who is also a free agent having departed Borussia Dortmund.

A number of Premiership clubs were tracking the enigmatic striker, but he too appears to be ready to commit to the SPL giants.

Meanwhile, Bhoys midfielder Neil Lennon has warned the Glasgow titans that he wants assurances about the future of Martin O'Neill before he commits to a new contract at the club.

O'Neill has been linked with a summer move away from Celtic and is rumoured to be on Liverpool's short-list to replace Gerard Houllier.

Tottenham are also thought to be keen on the former Leicester City chief, and Lennon insists he will not ink a new deal at Parkhead until O'Neill's future is guaranteed.

"We are in discussions about a new contract but that will all be on hold until things are resolved with the manager," the 32-year-old stated.

"Obviously he is the gaffer at the minute and I'm talking with him.

"Things will change if he does go but I'm keeping my fingers crossed he doesn't.

"He is his own man and he is always going to be linked with every big job that comes along because of his record."

DAMMIT!!!

I was really looking foward to him paliyng for Bolton, that is a shame, it really is :angry:

Southampton striker James Beattie has hinted that he could be ready to quit St Mary's - if Newcastle boss Sir Bobby Robson comes calling in the summer.

The 26-year-old target man has suffered the disappointment of failing to make Sven Goran Eriksson's squad for Euro 2004 and Beattie is aware that plying his trade with a bigger club could improve his international chances.

Beattie could be seen as a ready-made replacement for St James' Park favourite Alan Shearer and the player has hinted he may be interested in a summer switch to Newcastle.

''I am more than happy at Southampton but if a big offer came in for me from them (Newcastle) - or anyone - I would have to talk to the chairman,'' Beattie told the Daily Mirror.

Considering his England prospects, Beattie admits he is frustrated by the sparsity of his opportunities.

''I haven't had many chances to prove myself at international level, but the main thing is I prove myself for Southampton,'' continued Beattie.

''As a sub, if you don't make an impression in an England game you get written off.

''People start saying you won't make any future squads.

''But it's not up to them. It's up to the England manager. He's the only one I am interested in impressing.''

I doubt they will go in for him, they look to be getitng Mido from Marseille at the moment. Would be a good move for Beattie though.

Edited by Gooner4Life

Porto playmaker Deco is hoping to continue his association with Jose Mourinho if the Champions League-winning coach is installed as the new boss of Chelsea.

Mourinho is expected to arrive at Stamford Bridge next week and Deco has revealed he would like to join his coach in London.

The 26-year-old told The Sun: 'Of course I'd like to go to Chelsea as he's a coach I know well. He's won everything here and now has other ambitions.

'I've a preference for the English league because of the way the play.'

Current Chelsea chief Claudio Ranieri last night revealed that he has been promised a decision on his future next week.

The Italian has held talks with Blues owner Roman Abramovich after maintaining his dignity and good humour throughout the season in the face of constant speculation that he would lose his job at the end of the campaign.

'It was a lovely meeting, and now I can only wait,' Ranieri told Sky Sports News.

'We talked about players, we talked about the future. Was Mourinho mentioned? No, no, no, because I spoke only about myself and my plans.

'Roman said `okay Claudio, next week I will give you the answer'.'

Should Ranieri be sacked, he will not be short of other offers, with Tottenham a possible candidate for his services.

However, it does not look like he will be returning to his home town club Roma as Cesare Prandelli has been appointed as the new coach of the Serie A side, according to Italian media reports.

The appointment of Prandelli comes after a dramatic day which had started with the announcement that Fabio Capello had defected from Roma to become coach of Juventus.

Source

Deco to Chelsea? I don't think we need him, unless Lampard doesn't feature in Mourinho's plans. If Deco comes to Chelsea, either him or Lampard will be benched, and I doubt either men will be happy about it.

PSV Eindhoven say they are now unlikely to succeed in their attempt to sign Polish goalkeeper Jerzy Dudek from Liverpool.

Dudek is playing a waiting game at Anfield, like many others in the squad, to see who will replace Gerard Houllier as the new manager.

Dutch side PSV were interested in bringing Dudek back to Holland, where he made a name for himself at Feyenoord.

PSV chairman Harry van Raaj says that they will not have the time to wait for a new manager to be installed at Anfield, and have all but given up on Dudek.

"We do not plan and do not have time to wait for that," van Raaj told AD Sportwereld.

"That is why in reality we do not count on the arrival of Dudek."

Source

Porto midfielder Costinha is keen to follow Chelsea-bound Jose Mourinho to Stamford Bridge.

Mourinho is expected to be confirmed as The Premiership's big-spenders' new manager in the coming days and will replace Claudio Ranieri at the helm.

He has been tipped to raid Porto for several of the players who helped the club to win the UEFA Champions League, with playmaker Deco believed to be the prime target.

But midfield anchor man Costinha has confirmed he wants to link up with Mourinho in London and is hoping a deal can be arranged.

Costinha, who has two years remaining on his contract, is a key figure for Porto and he is likely to cost in the region of £7 million.

"Do I want to follow Mourinho? Of course, why not?" commented Costinha in the Sunday Mirror.

"I have to be careful because I still have two years left on my contract at Porto but if I could choose of course I would like to go with him because I know if I go then I will have more success.

"My agent is taking care of it and I know there will be developments over the next few days."

Costinha also hailed the methods of Mourinho, whose success in steering Porto to European glory elevated him to the position of the most sought-after coach on the continent.

"He is probably the best trainer I've ever had," added the Portuguese international. "He knows how to prepare the players and how to speak with them.

"He thinks about football 24 hours a day. He is always wondering where he can improve his team, where he can make better use of a player.

"He is fair with everybody. He is not one way with the star of the team and different with a youth player.

"There are no superstars for him. The most important thing is the team."

Source

Barcelona have confirmed Chelsea have made an offer to Ronaldinho and have revealed Real Madrid may also lodge a block-busting bid for the Brazilian.

Ronaldinho is reportedly heading Chelsea's summer shopping list with money seemingly no object for The Blues' billionaire owner Roman Abramovich.

The Samba star enjoyed a magnificent debut season at Camp Nou but Chelsea are aiming to tempt him away from Catalunya just 12 months after his arrival from Paris Saint Germain.

Barca's vice president Sandro Rosell has revealed Chelsea have offered Ronaldinho a phenomenal salary to move to Stamford Bridge.

Rosell also stated that Real presidential candidate Lorenzo Sanz wants to take Ronaldinho to El Santiago Bernabeu if he ousts Florentino Perez in the elections.

"Chelsea have offered him a good contract," Rosell told Catalunya Radio. "Barca don't know anything but we know that the player will want to stay at Barca.

"On Wednesday (chairman) Joan Laporta will go to Brazil and I believe that will help to resolve everything.

"I insist that I feel optimistic and believe that he will stay and we will put the highest possible clause on him so that no club can pay it.

"Sanz, the ex-president of Real Madrid and a possible candidate for the elections, also wants him.

"He is obsessed and will use Barcelona, like Florentino Perez did, to win the elections and for that reason he wants to offer Ronaldinho a very great contract."

Rosell also confirmed the club are nearing a deal for Monaco midfielder Ludovic Giuly, with the sticking point being the length of contract for the France international.

"That is going well," he continued. "We are on the verge of reaching an agreement between the player and the club.

"While Barca offers him a contract for three years, he has requested four."

But Rosell was less optimistic of bringing David Trezeguet to Camp Nou, with discussions with Juventus proving to be problematic.

"The negotiations between both clubs are not ideal."

Source