Bookings for Goal Celebrations

Farmer Reil

I know it's a stupid rule, and whatever justification the FA have is probably completely rediculous, but what is the actual reason why you get booked for extravagant goal celebrations?

Naybet today for example. He scores his first goal for Spurs, in the North London derby, what kind of heartless fucking referee is going to book him for celebrating it?

Maybe they think over celebration might antagonise the opositions supporters so making players stop doing it might prevent crowd trouble.

Also I recall they orginally stopped players removing their shirts in case they had anything on vests/shirts underneath that might cause offence so that was probably the start of the rule.

Edited by King Ellis

I know it's illegal to take your shirt off, but I don't think it's illegal to put it over your head, Ravenelli style.

It's not just taking off your shirt though. I see people get booked just for running around a lot. It's hardly wasting that much time, since the clock is stopped until the kickoff anyway..

I know it's illegal to take your shirt off, but I don't think it's illegal to put it over your head, Ravenelli style.

It's not just taking off your shirt though. I see people get booked just for running around a lot. It's hardly wasting that much time, since the clock is stopped until the kickoff anyway..

I'm pretty sure that they do get booked for lifting the shirt but it will depend on the ref in charge I suppose. When Cahill scored his first for Everton I think he only lifted it but he got booked.

Just went to check whether Cahill lifter or removed the shirt and found this on the BBC site.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/3652132.stm

Anything above the head = booking

Although that is from September and I think Blatter had a go at that ref so maybe the rule got changed again.

Im bored so i'm now overlooking the rules on the FIFA website and this whole celebration could fall under a few categories in the misconduct section.

2. shows dissent by word or action;

4. delays the restart of play;

Edited by King Ellis

Guest Pirate Chasin' Booty

Its pathetic, if I scored a goal, I'd take off my shirt, wear an offensive vest and flip my opponents fans the bird, I mean fuck off, these rules are stupid.

We can blame Forlan not being able to get dressed fast enough for the shirt rule though.

Yeah, did forlan even get booked for when he couldn't get his shirt back on? I can't see the point in taking your shirt off but I still don't think its a bookable offense. Running into the crowd though is something I'd love to do if I scored for my club. Like what Hendrie did against pallace. Just scored an absoloute screamer and runs into the crowd, didn't hurt any one but gets booked. Andy Johnson though, scores past us, and takes the piss in front of the holte end and that wayne routledge rubs his nose to make the guesture of him being a blue nose, but the ref decides not to book him. His celebration could of led to a lot more grief than Hendries.

It doesn't stop, you know...otherwise, where does stoppage time come from?