Carling Cup?

Turbo Yannis

I'm not making this to brag about Chelsea's progress in the cup, but it's more of a question to all the fans of the teams that have been knocked out or are still in it.

Do you really care about how your team does in the Carling Cup?

For me, I'm torn about it. Yes, it's always good to see your team do well in any competition, but when it's one that the likes of Arsenal and Man United aren't taking all it that seriously. They can go on about all this giving youngsters a chance, and I'm sure that's part of it, but it merely comes down to not really bothering how far they get in the cup.

Last season, I really couldn't have cared about the Carling cup, before and after being knocked out by Leeds. I was even expecting have having Neil fucking Sullivan playing in goal. But with the new manager coming in, I feel a sense of giving a fuck after him saying that he takes every competition seriously. And it shows aswell with Robben, Duff, Drogba and Terry all starting, despite only one of them playing the whole 90 minutes.

Anyway, do you care how your team does in the Carling cup?

As a Spurs fan where we only have a chance in the FA and Carling cups, sure, I'm taking the Carling Cup seriously. It's a way into Europe afterall.

Exactly. People say it's pointless and not worth playing for, but if you're not doing particularly well in the league then this is a great way to get into Europe.

Guest Pirate Chasin' Booty

Its been a poormans FA cup for too many years, and I don't think anything other than all the big teams gunning for it with first team players will change that. As it is, its very important for the development of reserve and youth players.

I want the Arsenal youth team to do well, but I won't be bothered if they don't win it (which I suspect they won't).

If they made it a cup where no first team regulars could participate, it would mean more, IMO, because then it would be a measure of how good your reserve side were, instead of whether you could be arsed to play your first team.

I don't know how you'd define "first team regular" though. A team like Chelsea would be screwed :P

I support Southend so its always nice to win a match full stop. But we always go out within the first two rounds anyway.

We are however on our way to a second successive LDV Vans final.

Ahh, a Southend fan. One of Orients 'local' rivals :P

I take it seriously if we make it past the first round, which isnt often.

Edited by MDK

The thing is now the sides who do care about the Carling Cup are now getting whipped by the top sides second string so in a way it's kinda unfair for them that a team who doesn't care about it keeps progressing.

And Leeds seems to care about it, even the fans do. 30,000 in to see the first round. Though I guess most only came to have a go at the Huddersfield fans. :P

Edited by King Ellis

Well, after a matter of seconds Arsenal are losing to Man U. Mistake by one of the Arsenal defenders allowed the ball to get to Bellion and he shot at the 'keeper who completely fucked up and let it in.