EA Sports secure exclusive NFL and NFLPA license

Damian WayLNKe

EA Enters into Exclusive Agreements with NFL and PLAYERS INC to Expand and Integrate Customer Entertainment Experience

Monday December 13, 4:38 pm ET

REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Dec. 13, 2004--Electronic Arts (NASDAQ:ERTS - News) today announced exclusive licensing relationships with the National Football League and PLAYERS INC to develop, publish and distribute interactive football games. These five-year agreements -- which EA negotiated separately -- give EA the exclusive rights to the NFL teams, stadiums and players for use in its football videogames. Both agreements also include exclusive rights for console online features. Financial terms of the agreements were not disclosed.

For the first time, all aspects of the interactive experience -- including console-based fantasy football features and handheld game devices -- will be fully integrated with one EA game. This also provides the opportunity for new games and for EA to access both NFL Films and the NFL Network for use in the games.

"We are pleased to expand our agreement with Electronic Arts, the leading video game manufacturer and a valued NFL partner," said NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue. "We look forward to working with EA to continue to enhance the quality of NFL video games that our fans have enjoyed for many years."

"For more than a decade, EA has produced the most authentic football product for fans of the game," said PLAYERS INC Chairman Gene Upshaw. "This exclusive relationship will maximize the value of NFL players through EA's continued commitment to bring fans closer to the game."

"We are excited about the opportunity to further enhance our relationship with the NFL and PLAYERS INC," said Larry Probst, Chairman and CEO of Electronic Arts. "The five-year agreements will usher NFL fans through the console technology transition with new ideas and innovative game play experiences."

Both agreements are exclusive for action simulation, arcade-style and manager games on the PC, handheld game devices and consoles -- including console online features. The agreements do not include exclusive rights to other types of games or games accessible from the Internet or wireless devices, including cellular phones.

Madden NFL Football from the EA SPORTS™ brand has sold more than 42 million copies over the franchise's 15 year history. Madden NFL 2005, the most complete football game ever, is available for the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system, Xbox® videogame system from Microsoft, Nintendo GameCube™, Game Boy® Advance, the PlayStation® console and PC. NFL STREET 2 for the PlayStation 2 console, Xbox system and Nintendo GameCube will be on store shelves by December 26, 2004. Both games were developed by EA Tiburon, and rated "E" (Everyone) by the ESRB. The games official websites are www.madden2005.com and www.nflstreet2.com.

So does this mean that ESPN CAN'T use any NFL names or players at all or did I misread?

If they can't I hope Sega pull a Adam Jennings and change everyones name humorisly. Unless SEGA's license contract ran out this year(which I'm guessing it has) I doubt EA could stop that contract so SEGA could use it for a rest of their contract.

Seriously, Madden is good game, but they knew if ESPN stayed at $20 it would be hard to compeat with it. So what is EA to do? Why use there money. ESPN is just as good if not better and is $30 cheaper. ESPN had better online, cooler features and the whole ESPN trademarks. Madden had the better franchise and Mini-Camp.

And my answer to EA is stop hiding behind your money and make your game better to run out the competition.

Guest Bluesman

Well, I didn't see this thread before, so I posted in the one in entertainment. Here is my post from there:

Well this should really help motivate EA to do something with Madden and actually try and improve on it :rolleyes:

Regardless of which you prefer, the elimination of competition should be worrying given the fact that it doesn't benefit the game players. The heightened competition in the basketball game market allowed us to pick up two basketball games for a little more than we had to pay for one last year. There isn't the increased need to keep adding new features, as well as improving on those already in the game. You also have features that originate in one series, that then make their way to the other series the next year. All of these will be gone now.

I sincerely hope this does not happen with basketball titles. While I find Live to at least be playable, while Madden to be repetitive shit, I play basketball games far more than football. I'll be able to hold off on not getting new football titles every year (I wouldn't have gotten one except ESPN was $20), but not so with basketball.

A shining example of why the consumers lose in a monopoly economic state.

Bluesman is right (as usual)... this goes far beyond what game you prefer, this is about consumers getting screwed. This isn't like putting a game on one system, this is eliminating competition completely. Now EA can treat NFL games like THQ treats WWE games.

Guest Takayamanofear

Next years Madden will probably suck, it is going be the one before the release of the PS3. Next year will be a transition year for the Madden series.

"For the first time, all aspects of the interactive experience -- including console-based fantasy football features and handheld game devices -- will be fully integrated with one EA game. This also provides the opportunity for new games and for EA to access both NFL Films and the NFL Network for use in the games."

I do find that intresting though.

Edited by Takayamanofear