Magneto spin-off

BlackFlagg

http://www.comixfan.com/xfan/forums/showthread.php?t=31586

Variety reports that Twentieth Century Fox has set Sheldon Turner to draft Magneto, an action-thriller based on the villainous character played in the first two X-Men films by Ian McKellen.

The project represents the second extension of the studio's X-Men comicbook franchise. The move follows a Fox deal with Troy scribe David Benioff to write Wolverine, a film about the gruff mutant with the steel claws, played in the films by Hugh Jackman.

Turner recently scripted the Adam Sandler remake of The Longest Yard, rewrote The Amityville Horror and drafted a sequel to The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

He was drafted for the new assignment by 20th Century Fox president Hutch Parker and senior veep Alex Young, who are overseeing the spinoffs as they separately develop a third X-Men installment. Simon Kinberg is writing that film. The first two had a combined worldwide gross of $700 million.

The film most likely will be produced by the X-Men tandem of Lauren Shuler Donner and Marvel Studios head Avi Arad.

Turner said he wasn't a comicbook fanatic, but when he was asked to read back issues of the Marvel Comics franchise and see if any character was ripe for its own movie, he sparked to Magneto, a mutant whose power is the ability to manipulate and control metal objects.

The original X-Men film began with a prologue that showed his character as a child being led to a concentration camp by Nazis, and that is the period in which the Magneto film will take place. This setup will allow a future villain to at least flirt with the designation of protagonist. Since the character will be seen almost exclusively in his formative years, it is not clear whether McKellen will be in the film at all.

"I pitched a film that is almost The Pianist meets X-Men, about a guy who, after watching his family slaughtered, has an awakening of his powers and seeks revenge," Turner said.

Storyline will heavily involve Professor X, the wheelchair-using X-Men leader played in the films by Patrick Stewart. That character was a soldier in the allied force that liberated the concentration camps. The professor meets Magneto after the war, and while they bond over the realization that they are alike in their special powers, their differences soon turn them into enemies.

Turner said the film is one of several origin stories that Hollywood has grown sweet on telling. He wrote a backstory to The Texas Chainsaw Massacre that tells how Leatherface came to be, and Dino and Martha De Laurentiis are working with author Thomas Harris on Behind the Mask, a film and novel about the origins of Hannibal Lecter.

Guest Pirate Chasin' Booty

Wow, maybe they should just make a film about a bunch of people that are looking across the world for a comic book that hasn't yet been made into a film, in the end all the directors decide that they're unoriginal and they all commit suicide.

I don't care for Magneto a whole lot, but I'd see the Wolverine movie.

Trivial tidbit: Glenn Danzig was originally cast to play "Wolverine" in the X-Men movies, but due to scheduling conflicts (was recording a new album, iirc) he couldn't do it.

This could be really good/decent or just plain bad. It would be interesting, but I'm still waiting for who the hell is going to direct X3!!!

i'd have rather seen a Gambit solo movie...that way he wouldn't have to be thrown in X3 or future X sequels and he could get some recognition. Magneto is just a character I don't see the warrant/necessity to make a spinoff of. Wolverine I have been expecting all along, buit Magneto? Come on now....I like some comics,but this is truly getting stupid.

Personally I think the idea is brilliant. For once a comic book with an actual story. I think it could be made into the greatest super hero type movie ever.. if it's done right. I bet it'll have too many 'X-Men Innuendo's etc. But if it sticks to the story and concentrates on the time a little more than the actual mutagenics, I'll love the movie.

Guest raze0811

Personally I think the idea is brilliant. For once a comic book with an actual story. I think it could be made into the greatest super hero type movie ever.. if it's done right. I bet it'll have too many 'X-Men Innuendo's etc. But if it sticks to the story and concentrates on the time a little more than the actual mutagenics, I'll love the movie.