2004-2005 NBA Season Topic

Blitz

No matter how good a scorer you are, what T-Mac did against San Antonio is one of those moments that happens once in a great while. Similar to the Reggie Miller play against the Knicks from years ago, but T-Mac's was nastier in my opinion because so much just fell into place for him and he just nailed every shot dead on, no rattling it home.

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What level of stink do the New Orleans Hornets currently reside at? I am watching this game (Hornets/Wizards) because Brendan Haywood is on my fantasy team. All the shit I've talked about the Hawks and all the NBA analysts did about the Bobcats should be retracted. At this point in time, this is the WORST team in the NBA. They are brutal, and not having Baron Davis is just making them unbareable to watch.

Report: Raptors, Nets talk Carter trade

TSN.ca Staff with ESPN files

12/17/2004

ESPN reports that the New Jersey Nets and Toronto Raptors are in serious talks about a trade that would send Vince Carter to the Nets.

In exchange for Carter, the Raptors would receive Alonzo Mourning, Eric Williams, Aaron Williams and two first round draft picks.

Sources also tell ESPN that the talks have moved to the point that they could be finalized before the end of the day.

Carter was placed on the injured list with a strained left Achilles' tendon last Friday and is to miss at least five games.

Buh-bye Suck Suck. The real gain in trading Carter is that his mother leaves the city forever. I don't care if he's the best player in the league the day after he leaves, I'm glad to see him go. Whiny bitches don't go over well in T.O.

Edited by Jar Jar Beatnik

Friday, December 17, 2004

ESPN.com news services

The New Jersey Nets and Toronto Raptors are awaiting league approval of a trade that would send Vince Carter to the Nets, ESPN.com has learned.

Vince Carter

Forward

Toronto Raptors 

2004-2005 SEASON STATISTICS

GM  PPG  RPG  APG  FG%  FT%

20  15.9  3.3  3.1  .411  .694

The Raptors would acquire Alonzo Mourning, Eric Williams, Aaron Williams and two first round draft picks in exchange for Carter, ESPN Insider Chad Ford reported. The trade cannot be announced until the NBA approves it for salary-cap purposes, which could happen before the end of the day.

All trades must be approved by the league office and players must pass physicals before they can become official. Carter is currently on the injured list with a strained left Achilles' tendon suffered last Friday and is to miss at least five games.

If the trade goes through, it would be the most serious indication yet that the Nets want to keep Jason Kidd and are willing to build a championship contender around him. After the offseason trades of Kenyon Martin and Kerry Kittles, Kidd expressed his displeasure with the direction the Nets were taking. However, with Carter on board, the Nets have a shot at moving back into contention.

According to one source, Kidd was briefed on the trade and thinks Carter will be a strong addition to the team.

A backcourt of Kidd, Carter and Richard Jefferson is a highlight reel waiting to happen. However the Nets will be very thin up front. After the trade, the Nets would have just Jason Collins, Brian Scalabrine and rookie Nenad Kristic to play on the front line. The move has more interesting implications for the Raptors. Both Aaron and Eric Williams are the type of players that Sam Mitchell is after. They are tough, blue collar guys who will play their hearts out. Mourning gives them some size at the five that they desperately need. However, it will be interesting to see how Mourning reacts to the trade.

He's been asking out of New Jersey all season because he wants to play for a contender. Whatever you think about this trade for Toronto, it's tough to say that it turns them into a playoff caliber team. Instead, the Raptors are trying to surround their star young player, Chris Bosh, with solid, veteran players who play the right way. The two first round picks should help them rebuild.

The Nets currently have in hand their own first round pick, the Sixers first round pick (top 8 protected) and the Clippers first rounder (top 14 protected). It wasn't clear immediately which picks would be headed to Toronto in the trade.

Chad Ford covers the NBA for ESPN Insider. ESPN's Stephen A. Smith also contributed to this report.

Guest Bluesman

This is a GREAT deal for Toronto. They get some inside toughness, a good defender and leader, and 2 first round picks for a player who they actually played WORSE when he was on the floor. They now actually can be considered a legit playoff contender, because any team that starts Loren Woods is disqualified immediately.

This may be a horrible deal for NJ. They were on the brink of rebuilding, give up picks and some valuable contributors for Carter, who may not return to what he once was. I'd have to think he is licking his chops at the thought of playing alongside Kidd and Jefferson, but who knows...

Any word on what his achilles problems are? I had recently heard the possibility of a partial tear, which I'd have to think can't be true if the Nets are going to deal for him.

Guest BacknBlackHoez

Alonzo Mourning wont be happy about going there, and will request a release, or perhaps another trade. Eric Williams, Aaron Williams? please...... the draft picks are the high spot for Toronto.

J-Kidd, with RJeff & Vinsanity will bring excitment back, probably keep Kidd in town, and NJ looks to be a playoff team now, if they can bring in another big man.

If this goes down, I will be happy because then I will no longer have to listen to the Vince Carter to the Knicks rumors. As for the trade itself though, it helps Toronto because it will allow Chris Bosh move back to the 4 and give them a solid backup SF in Eric Williams. Aaron "Guess My Race" Williams hasn't played half bad this season either. For the Nets it provides a conundrum. Are you gonna move Vince to the 2 or Jefferson? Because one of them is going to have to play the 3 and neither will be coming off the bench. So.....look for Vince's stay in New Jersey to be short lived as they try to ship him off to a team with a surplus of big men, probably Chicago.

He's listed as a Forward on the All-Star ballot and a guard/forward on the Raptors roster and he does play SG sometimes but most of the times he plays the 3 because all of the Raptors coaches since he's been there have played a lot of small ball. He plays SG usually when Jalen Rose is on the floor but moves to SF all the other times because Morris Peterson for some reason cant guard people larger than him.

Guest BacknBlackHoez

now Stephen A. Smith is tlaking about, that if J-Kidd still wants out of New Jersey, the Nuggets would be happy to send Andre Miller out, so Kidd could play with K-Mart again, but who knows what else.

I could see Jersey wanting Nene.

Carter to Chicago seems unlikely like Rose returning.

Carter in NJ, its ok. But they gave up about 3 active players(mourning might not be that active but still) for Carter who is on the IR? Man, I think NJ got ripped off a new asshole again. But hey if Carter is activated soon, its gonna be interesting to see him play along Kidd and Jefferson.

Carter in NJ, its ok. But they gave up about 3 active players(mourning might not be that active but still) for Carter who is on the IR? Man, I think NJ got ripped off a new asshole again. But hey if Carter is activated soon, its gonna be interesting to see him play along Kidd and Jefferson.

Toronto fans have often theorized he embelleshes his injuries anyway. I wouldn't be shocked if he's activated within a week.

Guest Bluesman

I've felt that much of his injury problems were due to him not wanting to play. However, even if this were true, it's quite possible that the inital knee problems were serious enough to prevent him from completely returning to the "old" Vince Carter.

I still don't think this is the steal for the Nets that many people think it is. I'd really love to hear the specifics of the other deals that the Raptors turned down.