Sports Story of the Year

The Third Dukes

What was the world's biggest sports story?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. What was the world's biggest sports story?

• Boston Red Sox win first title in 86 years
    • Arsenal go unbeaten in EPL season
    • Greece wins Euro 2004
    • Michael Phelps gets six golds at Athens Olympics
    • Lance Armstrong sets Tour de France record
    • Kobe Bryant ousts Phil Jackson and Shaquille O'Neal
    • Jose Mourinho leads Porto to title, jumps to Chelsea
    • USA men's hoops underachieves at Athens Olympics
    • NHL season yet to start
    • Other (specify)

Man, it's been a busy year for sports, hasn't it? I had to cut the list down to 9, and there's still a bunch of stories I could put in there that didn't quite make the cut. You have Ron Artest's meltdown, Phil Mickelson's Masters win, the Ryder Cup blowout, Iraq's soccer Olympics run, the Connecticut men and women accomplishing an unprecedented double, the Patriots winning 21 straight NFL games... just a full plate.

So let's see what our EWB board thinks. I tried including headlines that the entire world would consider important, which explains the mix of sports represented. And yes, I'm well aware a lot of them are centered on Americans. I'm American. Deal.

So, let's start the bidding. :)

Boston, without a doubt. And before someone from outside the US and Canada comes accusing me being biased keep in mind that I watched Pakistan vs India happen in Cricket this year for the first time in years.

[Cheap Plug]I have a sports awards thread running....the link is in my sig[/Cheap Plug]

Yeah, as far as this question is concerned it's definitely Boston. If you had to wait 86 years for a championship in something you'd feel it. Heck, I'm not even a Red Sox fan and their run excited me (eventhough they took my Angels out along the way).

it´s baseball, no one cares about ti

from whats in the list you have to go with greece

you say noone cares about baseball, but then you mentuion some soccer stuff, LOL, like anyone cares about that!

But its Bo Sox no doubt.

Real football? Of course. I guess all that padding adds to the realism, right?

I chose the Arsenal going unbeaten one. To maintain there kind of form for an entire season (and about 15 games in the previous season as well) is amazing.

Edited by The Rock Box

Guest Muthafawkkinmatt

Steriods, Kobe and the NHL are my pick, only because people are still talking about it like crazy on every sports show you watch. I thought when the Redsox won it would be a huge deal but that kind of died down after a while and I thought it would last until opening day but I'm happy it hasn't as I am a Yankees fan :)

Guest Pirate Chasin' Booty

Thats not really much of a story though, especially when there are people who won more golds than her, her running technique just happens to make her look like a hero though.

Don't forget Japan is the second country after America to have a professional baseball leauge.

I would have to go for Arsenal's unbeaten run. I could not care less about idiots who only play three sports. Take a look at the world around you. Americans generally only think of themselves (I didn't say that, it was a quote from a newspaper report.).