Sports Story of the Year

The Third Dukes

What was the world's biggest sports story?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. What was the world's biggest sports story?

• Boston Red Sox win first title in 86 years
    • Arsenal go unbeaten in EPL season
    • Greece wins Euro 2004
    • Michael Phelps gets six golds at Athens Olympics
    • Lance Armstrong sets Tour de France record
    • Kobe Bryant ousts Phil Jackson and Shaquille O'Neal
    • Jose Mourinho leads Porto to title, jumps to Chelsea
    • USA men's hoops underachieves at Athens Olympics
    • NHL season yet to start
    • Other (specify)

How is NFL Football not a real sport? Have you actually played American football? It takes a hell of a lot more skill then you give it credit for. Maybe it isn't as rough as rugby, God forid the wear some padding, but it is brutal as hell and takes a physical toll like few other sports. Padding or not, when you get hit in football, you feel it.

And what is all this "real" sports bullshit? How is football not a real sport? Is it fake? What? I don't understand how American football isn't a real sport. Maybe I'm bias because I'm a huge American football fan and I can't stand soccer, but I think a lot of you are talking out of your asses without any proof that American football is any less of a sport than any sport played in Europe.

And shut the fuck up Matzat. When you play 4 quaters of American football in the NFL, escape without the injury free, feeling and looking like a million bucks, without a bump, bruise, or scratch, you can comeback and tell me football is rugby for sissies. Until then, keep your comments to yourself.

Just because one person is rubbing you the wrong way, doesn't mean you can call football less of a sport, because chances are you knowing nothing about the game, how it's played, how hard you need to train, the risk factor involved, how much of the game is in fact mental or anything. I don't go around bad mouthing soccer, because I don't understand it like you guys do, and you people should do likewise.

When you play 4 quaters of American football in the NFL, escape without the injury free, feeling and looking like a million bucks, without a bump, bruise, or scratch, you can comeback and tell me football is rugby for sissies.

But if it isn't, then why all the padding? Rugby is just as dangerous and brutal.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

Guest UmpireAJS

Maybe starting a Football vs Football/Baseball thread is a good idea.

I considered voting for the Greek Victory once,but since I am a very biased Arsenal fan I chose to win with them.Plus once in a while Outsiders create an impact,but it is really difficult for EVEN BIG TEAMS in leagues to go undefeated and Arsenal did just that,cause League is a long journey,you gotta deal with all sorts of injuries,fatigue,cards and moral issues and to deal with all those and STILL come out unscathed its really awesome.

Arsenal going 49 domestic games unbeaten will NEVER be replicated. Definetly not in my life-time, and I highly doubt any time afterwards.

Purely awesome stuff we produced, and nobody else even looked on our level throughout the season.

I agree that what Arsenal did was amazing. Certainly will be a record hard to break. And any other year it would be the biggest sports story in the world. Unfortunately, this is not any other year, and the Boston Red Sox winning the World Series takes it.

It's not just THAT they won it, though that in and of itself would make the story a contender (c'mon, it had been 86 years!); it's HOW they won it. They were down 3-0 in a best-of-seven to their hated archrival, the one team that lords it over them when they get the chance, the team everyone loves to hate, the team that won more than a third of the titles in this 86-year drought. Bad enough that no one had ever come back from 3-0 to win 4-3 in baseball before. It was the Yankees -- who loved to rub it in at every level, up to and including ownership -- that stood in their way. And yet, they accomplished what no team in baseball had done before, then steamrolled the World Series opponent in dominant fashion to win it all.

Boston's ALCS comeback win was Miracle-on-Ice level historic. It was the ultimate underdog beating the ultimate favorite in ultimate comeback fashion. It was the schaudenfreude of seeing the Yankees, with baseball's most obnoxious owner and most obnoxious fanbase, have to suffer the most humiliating choke in baseball history. Then, the near-century of frustration and waiting finally ended.

Sorry, Arsenal. Enjoy second place. I just can't vote for anyone else. Not this year.

If mods and admins can agree, we can make a thread like the No Spin Zone, just about sports. Because the argument between American sports and sports which the rest of the world play can't keep spreading to random topics. We can't have that, can we? So, everyone agree to do this thing?

Edited by ladydavinator

How the heck did that guy try saying no one never gets touched in football? He obviously hasn't the slightest of clues when people are injured in nearly every game. Footballs not supposed to be rough though, so why would you want to see people get thrown to the floor or something? Everyones allowed there own opinion, and mine is that Football is by far the most exciting sport.

Anyway moving away from that, I'm a little torn between Greece and Arsenal. The Arsenal run was amazing and ended in such an awesome way with like the team they literally hate ending the run which made it so much more exciting. It was so tense when it came to that game as to whether they could go to 50. Then again Greece winning the cup for me was a HUGE shock and I never expected it to happen in a million years.

Guest BacknBlackHoez

when those Dolphins, who have no running game, and basically no passing game, and have won only 2 games this year, can o and beat the defending champs, who have argueably the best "team" thats a story......but no, its not bigger than the Bo Sox.

If mods and admins can agree, we can make a thread like the No Spin Zone, just about sports. Because the argument between American sports and sports which the rest of the world play can't keep spreading to random topics. We can't have that, can we? So, everyone agree to do this thing?

No.

when those Dolphins, who have no running game, and basically no passing game, and have won only 2 games this year, can o and beat the defending champs, who have argueably the best "team" thats a story......but no, its not bigger than the Bo Sox.

Edited by sahyder1

Roethlisberger playing the way he has is a bigger story than the Patriots losing to the Dolphins. Peyton Manning's assault on Marino's TD record is a bigger story than that. Shit Terrell Owens getting hurt is a bigger story than that. The Patriots shit the bed once. Philly's main reason for winning has been put on the shelf. I don't think this taints the Patriots season at all, it hurts their chances of getting home field throughout but it doesn't taint their season. I think with this game though the Dolphins just played themselves out of the #1 pick in the draft.