Sports Story of the Year

The Third Dukes

What was the world's biggest sports story?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. What was the world's biggest sports story?

• Boston Red Sox win first title in 86 years
    • Arsenal go unbeaten in EPL season
    • Greece wins Euro 2004
    • Michael Phelps gets six golds at Athens Olympics
    • Lance Armstrong sets Tour de France record
    • Kobe Bryant ousts Phil Jackson and Shaquille O'Neal
    • Jose Mourinho leads Porto to title, jumps to Chelsea
    • USA men's hoops underachieves at Athens Olympics
    • NHL season yet to start
    • Other (specify)

I'm sorry but soccer is boring for 88 minutes a match. But that one or two times a match where everything comes together for a goal, I don't think there is a more rewarding time in all of sports. It's hockey on grass basically, players knock a ball (in hockey a puck of course) around for what seems like forever then one or two people make incredible plays and it results in a score. Soccer is one of the most grueling sports just for the sheer size of the field and the fact that the players are constantly on the move. Once again I relate soccer to hockey, I can't watch it during the regular season. When the games don't matter, I can't sit there for over two hours and watch a 1-0 game, I just can't. Basketball is my favorite sport because something is always happening, it's back and forth back and forth. I can barely watch baseball on TV unless I have a rooting interest. If I'm at the stadium that's a different story. Football, which I just call football not American football because that here in the states is called soccer so deal with it, is tough to watch when two horrible teams are playing. IN baseball, a horrible team can have a good pitcher go out there and have a good game every fifth day. In basketball, two horrible teams can throw up 110 points on each other cuz neither can play any defense. Every sport has their downside, their hardcore fan base, and their great moments. I picked the Red Sox for the moment, not because I am American and I don't watch soccer and I don't care. This marked the end of 86 years of futility, misfortune, bad luck, and just pure failure. What the Red Sox did allowed millions of people here in the USA to die in peace knowing that their team finally did it during their lifetime. Their parents and grandparents never saw it but now them and their kids can pass it on through the generations that they finally saw the Red Sox win the World Series. All of the other stories pale in comparison to this one.

Great to know so many hate me, because they try so hard to defend their game of soccer. :claps: by to this thread, my work here is done.

Fuck off. I don't like your american sports but I don't sit here calling them shit so please fuck off with your retarded statements about our real sports.

Fuck this shit, I'm trying to give my opinion as well as arguments for both sides of this little scuffle and that happens is people overanalyze stupid little portions of my entire schpiel. I never said that hockey and soccer had the same fucking rules but they play the same way. And I'd rather see a tightly contested basketball game then one that is ridiculously high scoring, I just said that a game like that could happen. READ what I write, don't just see one phrase and take it and go fucking nuts on it. I know soccer is 90 minute matches but the point I was trying to make was that 88 minutes of those 90 are boring. Sorry if you don't get my "American" writing. Get a fucking grip.