MLB Offeason Thread

sahyder1

How bout them Washington Nationals...nevermind that, has anyone heard the final number of what Beltran (aka Scott Boras) is asking for? I know it's 10 years but I've heard different numbers from 145-175 and in some places as low as 110. Ain't that some shit I just said $110 million dollars is low.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not that surprising to see Kapler leave, but he was a professional about wanting to start when he was in Boston. He knew his role with the team, if Trot was healthy, Trot played. He wanted to start like he has wherever else he played but shut his mouth and did the little things that helped the Red Sox to the World Series championship. Now maybe he can become the first person to win the World Series than go to Japan and win the championship over there in consecutive years. That would boost his stock substantially if he ever planned on playing in the Majors again.

Also Al Leiter is talking to the Marlins about signing there and as soon as he retires going into the booth. I think he can help the Marlins in both areas. During the playoffs he was surprisingly bareable compared to the rest of the idiots Fox trots out there to call playoff games. Plus I think Al needs to get out of NY, seeing how he's only probably gonna play 2-3 years more maximum.

Guest Bluesman

Kendall dealt to the A's...

PITTSBURGH (AP) - Jason Kendall was traded Saturday from Pittsburgh to Oakland, giving the Athletics one of baseball's best top-of-the-lineup hitters and most durable catchers and partly freeing the Pirates of their biggest financial burden.

The Pirates get left-hander Mark Redman to stabilize their oft-shaky rotation and left-handed reliever Arthur Rhodes for Kendall, a three-time All-Star and .306 career hitter.

It's the first career move for the 30-year-old Kendall after nine losing seasons with the Pirates. The Athletics covet him mostly for his career .387 on-base average - third-best all-time among catchers with 1,000 or more career games caught - though he has only 12 homers in three seasons since tearing a thumb ligament.

Kendall will probably bat second for Oakland, in front of Eric Chavez, after hitting .319 mostly as leadoff hitter last season. Kendall waived his no-trade clause to play for a team closer to his Manhattan Beach, Calif., home.

"I'm just happy I have an All-Star catcher in the prime of his career who was dying to come to California," Oakland general manager Billy Beane said. "We feel like we're getting a guy in the prime of his career who's really motivated and who's never played for a team in contention before."

Redman, 31 in January, gives Pittsburgh a second left-hander alongside the fast-developing Oliver Perez (12-10, 2.98 ERA, 239 strikeouts). Redman was 11-12 with a 4.71 ERA last season after going 14-9 with a 3.59 ERA for World Series champion Florida in 2003, when he was 0-1 with a 6.50 ERA in four postseason starts.

Rhodes, 35, lost his closer's job last season while going 3-3 with a 5.12 ERA, but will be a setup man with Pittsburgh. The Pirates hope he can turn his career around the way Jose Mesa did with 43 saves last season following a poor year in Philadelphia.

The trade, made Wednesday but held up so both teams could run physicals on the newly acquired players, will save the Pirates about $15 million. They owed Kendall a budget-busting $34 million through 2007, an amount nearly equal to their 2004 payroll.

"The formula of one player eating up a significant portion of the payroll just doesn't work," Pittsburgh general manager Dave Littlefield said. "The easiest example and most recent is A-Rod (Alex Rodriguez) in Texas. When one player makes up a significant portion of payroll, it's not a formula for long-term success."

Littlefield initiated the trade talks with Beane on the final day of the recent general managers' meetings.

Pittsburgh gets a minimal amount of money from Oakland, about $1 million during each of the next two seasons, and will send Oakland about $5 million in 2007 to partially pay the $13 million Kendall makes in the final year of his $60 million contract.

Still, the Pirates substantially weaken their offense by losing Kendall. His .306 career average trails only Mickey Cochrane, Mike Piazza, Bill Dickey, Ernie Lombardi and Ivan Rodriguez among catchers who have caught more than 1,000 games.

"We'll appreciate Kendall when he's gone, playing for as well as he did for as long as he did," But to get to where we want to go, we need more players and some financial flexibility," said Littlefield, who wants to add more offense and sign a catcher to supplement backup Humberto Cota.

The Athletics shed two of their highest-paid players in Redman and Rhodes, who are owed about $15 million over the next two seasons compared to $21 million to Kendall ($10 million in 2005, $11 million in 2006). Redman has two seasons and $8.75 million remaining on an $11 million, three-year contract, while Rhodes has two seasons and about $6 million left on his $9.2 million, three-year deal.

Redman may be replaced in Oakland's rotation by prospect Joe Blanton (0-0, 5.63 ERA in three games last season). Redman has pitched recently for contenders, but isn't discouraged at joining a team coming off its 12th-consecutive losing season.

The Pirates' youth movement showed some promise in 2004 despite a 72-89 record with good seasons from Perez, All-Star shortstop Jack Wilson, NL Rookie of the Year Jason Bay and rookie second baseman Jose Castillo.

"Look at Florida in 2003, we were coming off a .500 season and no one was expecting much," Redman said. "Anything can happen. If the Pirates can go out and do well, maybe by midsummer we'll put some pressure on Dave Littlefield to get some guys over there (for the stretch drive)."

The Pirates also designated left-hander Frank Brooks for assignment and have 10 days to trade or release him or send him outright to the minors.

Is Pittsburgh paying any of that ghastly contract at all cuz that may have been a reason why they got him because in Oakland, Adam Melhuse and Damian Miller ain't gonna cut it. But if not, this is a dumb deal even if Arthur Rhodes is garbage and got replaced by the equal-meltdown that is Octavio Dotel.

Guest kijlhumt

The Pirates end up eating some of the salary and with Rhodes/Redman off the payroll, Kendall isn't that much of a hit.

Clip from an article I found:

"According to several reports, the A's will send Pittsburgh $1 million in each of the next two seasons, and the Pirates will send Oakland $5 million in 2007, when Kendall is scheduled to make $13 million.

If those numbers are accurate, the A's essentially added $6.4 million in payroll over the next two seasons -- Kendall's $21 million, minus the $16.4 owed Redman and Rhodes, plus the extra $2 million to Pittsburgh -- and will be on the hook for $8 million for Kendall in 2007.

Guest kijlhumt

Highest OBP of any catcher since the expansion era, which was almost 30 years ago says that he's pretty fucking good. He posted an almost .400 OBP, he hits for average, and he plays good-great D. Plus, he has speed from the catchers spot, which is rare, and he has intangibles (hustle, mental toughness, etc.).

I'd say he's one of the top 10 catchers in the game.

How can you possibly not like Kendall? He's played for a dreadful team for years and has put up good #s for a catcher. You put him in the AL, give him a few extra games in the lineup at DH and around some actual hitters and in no way shape or form can you call him a bad pickup.

I never said I didn't like him, just that hes not "fantastic". Theres a difference between a top 10 catcher, and a fantastic catcher. I mean, he has a career high 14 HRs, and has hit 12 in the last 3 seasons combined. Not exactly "fantastic" stats. He is a good catcher, and possibly in the top 10, but hes not great by any means. Certainley not worth what hes getting paid...

Sometimes stats isn't what a player is worth. Kendall is a guy who can help young pitchers and old pitchers will like. He'll fit in with Oakland's pitching and maybe the AL will help his bat produce more too. He's a great catcher and to say that he isn't just because he has a combined 12 HR's in the last 3 years when he's been injured and on the Pirates for christ's sake, isn't exactly doing him justice. But to each their own, I suppose.

I, for one, find it to be total BS that Bonds won another MVP. Sure he had a lot of walks and all that hub-ub, but people like Rolen and Pujols took their team to the World Series and I know it's not supposed to be based on who goes the playoffs, etc. but it should be a factor if the team didn't even make the playoffs.

Kendall's Pros

- High OBP

- Very Durable

- Consistent

- Gritty, hardnosed

- Leader

- Very solid defesivly

Kendall's Cons

- Big Contract

- Little power

- Playoff inexperience

- Hasn't proved to be a "clutch" player

When you compare the Pros and Cons I'd says Kendall comes out as an excellent catcher. Only a handfull of guys are better then him in the league. However he is more of a $5 or $6 mill player, not double figures. He should hit well in the AL.

Pirates traded off their franchise guy (in a position where there are few franchise players) for a decent started and an over the hill reliver. The only negative to Kendall is his salary, which has to be the only reason the Bucs dealt him. His power isn't good either but he's never gunna be batting 3, 4 or 5. I just pray to God they give House the nod over the awful Cota. Opens up alot of holes for Pittsburgh - have to now rely on Tike Redman as the lead off (who draws fuck all walks and doesn't play decently until the second half of the year) and have to put one of two unproven guys in to catch. Not to mention he was one of our best offensive tools (even if he wasn't a home run hitter he could always be counted on to get on base, and he has had some clutch home runs ie. grand slam in the 9th earlier this year). Redman I think will fit into the Pirates rotation as a good #3 started ahead of Fogg. A rotation with Perez, Wells (assuming he's healthy), Redman, Fogg & Burnett would be fantastic after Burnett returns. There's no way the Bucs needed to add Rhodes though... they already have a ton of great lefty relievers like Mike Gonzalez (star of the future), Mike Johnson, Dave Williams (will probably start this year with the injuries but should probably be in the pen), John Grabow... hopefully they trade off Rhodes at the deadline when contenders are trying to bulk their pens up.

If they trade off Rhodes for a decent RF, CF or C with power the trade would be a success but at the moment I think it's opened up a few holes for the Bucs. Still, early days yet. Got a while to fix those up.

Edited by Underage Politician

Guest kijlhumt

I never said I didn't like him, just that hes not "fantastic". Theres a difference between a top 10 catcher, and a fantastic catcher. I mean, he has a career high 14 HRs, and has hit 12 in the last 3 seasons combined. Not exactly "fantastic" stats. He is a good catcher, and possibly in the top 10, but hes not great by any means. Certainley not worth what hes getting paid...

*sigh* I'm going to have to sit through another year of crap from my two favorite teams:

The Cubs will likely do the same as they did this past season, namely start off good then be eliminated with a couple of months to go.

The Reds will absolutely suck, unless Griffey suddenly retires (which I don't see happening) so they can free up some cash to spend on pitching and an outfielder who doesn't spend almost as much time on the DL as he does playing.

(I actually liked Griffey, until he signed with the Reds)

He has never been called upon to have power because he is a leadoff hitter. Name another catcher that hits leadoff, that's part of where his value lies. He has no pop but he gets on base and plays good defense and doesn't strike out, he always puts the ball in play and still has decent enough speed to beat the DP out. I don't think he's worth what he's paid in baseball terms but I've seen worse contracts for much worse players.