2005 NFL Draft : The Build Up

Guest BacknBlackHoez

Guest BacknBlackHoez

This thread is basically for the college football and professional football fans, that want to elaborate about this march's NFL draft. In hopes that people will discuss the draft, team needs and perhaps mock draft.

Right now, I think its pretty difficult to make out a mock draft, due to the fact that we dont know if Leinart will come out or not.

I think the 1st overall RB taken should be Cedrick Benson, but will Miami at the #2 pick, want to allow another powerful,RB from Texas with alot of hair, on their team? or will they be too cautious because of the similarities between Benson & R.Williams.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leinart will more than likely be the first pick in the draft (barring bad combine stuff) if he enters. It could get a whole lot more interesting if the Niners decide to pursue Carroll as their new head coach.

Speaking of which, couldn't we just make this the NFL Offseason Thread once the playoffs are done? It would just make more sense than creating a new ctopic later on.

I think that the Dolphins will go after Benson at #2. When I first saw him I almost thaught it was Ricky Williams. He looks like him and he rumbles like him. They need a HB and Benson looks to be the best in the draft. Although, I think Cadillac Williams will aslo end up in the top 10.

Miami should trade down a few spots to a team looking for a quarterback (Tennessee or Arizona) and pick up Cadillac or Ronnie. I don't think Benson is going to be as good of a pro as Cadillac or Ronnie will end up being. Plus, Miami can pick up a player, cash or another draft pick to slide down a few notches.

If the Bucs use one of their third rounders for Jason Campbell, I will cream myself..

First Round wise, I'd like to see the Bucs trade down and get Heath Miller or Carlos Rogers, or keep the pick and get Mike Williams or Derrick Johnson. Then use Second round pick on Vernand Morency.

Edited by Javs

Guest Takayamanofear

I am hoping the Lions Trade Harrington and draft Alex Smith. Besides Maybe some lineman I can't think of anything else the Lions can draft that they haven't already got.

The bears should try to pick up a Running back or Wide Reciver, WR would probably be best it would be a good gamble to pick up Mike Williams and they need to get a 3rd round back up or a Free Agent QB we don't have any one for that right now.

If Leinart comes out, he'll go number one. Dorsey's chance to start is out the door with Erickson.

Benson goes to Miami. Cadillac and Ronnie Brown split time and while they'll both go high, neither will go above Benson, who was the featured back on his team. CM, the draft is so deep, I doubt anyone's going to trade up too much. There's not a lot of clear cut top choices like there were last year.

Browns take Aaron Rodgers, sorry Spanktooth. With Garcia bitching already, they'll probably look to move him (Chicago's expressed interest) for other draft picks.

Chicago, hopefully addressing their QB situation via free agency/trades, take Mike Williams to replace what was lost in the Marty Booker trade. A gamble, yes, but could pay off.

Caddilac Williams goes to Tampa Bay. He fits what Gruden's looking for in a back out there and adds an element of toughness. To me, Morency, even in the second round, isn't going to be worth it. If they go defense and Derrick Johnson here, then I'd look for Faison from Florida to be their choice later on.

Tennessee's able to replace Miller on the line with Ferguson.

Oakland grabs Ronnie Brown to re-build their running game.

Arizona gets Derrick Johnson, my personal favorite pick in the top ten. Sorry Numbahs, but that offense didn't look too terrible. A lot of playmakers at wideout will allow McCown to continue his development while Shipp returns at running back, hopefully without Emmitt around.

Washington grabs Braylon Edwards.

Detroit beefs up the defense with Erasmus James on the line, possibly Dan Cody instead. You should never hope for Alex Smith in the first round if you're a Lions fan. If you dislike Harrington, hope for McMahon, he's a great athlete.

Arizona, IMO, just needs a QB. They have a great young WR corps, and a surprisingly good defense. Maybe they need an O-Line too, I haven't seen them play much. But if they could get Drew Brees (never happen), they might be a playoff team sooner rather than later.

Guest Takayamanofear

Detroit beefs up the defense with Erasmus James on the line, possibly Dan Cody instead.  You should never hope for Alex Smith in the first round if you're a Lions fan.  If you dislike Harrington, hope for McMahon, he's a great athlete.

Edited by Takayamanofear

I'm just curious...Does anyone think that the 49er's would take Mike Williams with the 1st pick? They lost Owens and need another big Playmaker and I think that Williams would slide right into that spot. They need alot of help in alot of other places, but that could be a start.

From the things I read, this is how people see it so far, without any workouts or games like the Senior Bowl, Blue/Grey, etc. This also implies that certain players leave college early as well.

I got the whole first round covered:

1. San Francisco- Matt Leinart, QB(USC)

2. Miami- Cedric Benson, HB(Texas)

3. Cleveland- D'Brickashaw Ferguson, OT(Virginia)

4. Tennessee (from Chicago*)- Aaron Rodgers, QB(Cal)

5. Tampa Bay- Cadillac Williams, HB(Auburn)

6. Chicago (from Tennessee*)- Alex Barron, OT(Florida State)

7. Oakland- Braylon Edwards, WR(Michigan)

8. Arizona- Ronnie Brown, HB(Auburn)

9. Washington- Erasmus James, DE(Wisconsin)

10. Detroit- Thomas Davis, S(Georgia)

11. Dallas- Antrel Rolle, CB(Miami,FL)

12.San Diego (from NY Giants#)- Mike Williams, WR(formerly USC)

13. Houston- Rodrique Wright, DT(Texas)

14. Carolina- Derrick Johnson, OLB(Texas)

15. Kansas City- Mathias Kiwanuka, DE(Boston College)

16. New Orleans- Ahmad Brooks, OLB(Virginia)

17. Cincinatti- Travis Johnson, DT(Florida State)

18. Minnesota^- Marcus Spears, DE(LSU)

19. St. Louis^- Pac-Man Jones, CB(West Virginia)

20. Dallas (from Buffalo##)- David Pollack, DE(Georgia)

21. Jacksonville- Dan Cody, DE(Oklahoma)

22. Baltimore- Mark Clayton, WR(Oklahoma)

23. Seattle^- Justin Tuck, DE(Notre Dame)

24. Green Bay^- Alex Smith, QB(Utah)

25. Denver^- Shaun Cody, DT(USC)

26. N.Y. Jets^- Carlos Rogers, CB(Auburn)

27. Atlanta^- Marcus McNeill, OT(Auburn)

28. San Diego^- Channing Crowder, ILB(Florida)

29. Indianapolis^- Justin Miller, CB(Clemson)

30. Arizona (from Philadelphia**)- Heath Miller, TE(Virginia)

31. New England^- Marlin Jackson, CB(Michigan)

32. Pittsburgh^- Craphonso Thorpe, WR(Florida State)

*,**- speculated trades

#- Eli Manning trade

##- J.P. Losman trade

As a Steeler enthusiast, I don't know if I see them drafting a WR in the 1st round. I'd say either a CB (since the draft is supposedly deep in that area this year) or the Bill Cowher favorite BPA (best player available). But we'll see, maybe Thorpe will be the BPA.

I am hoping the Lions Trade Harrington and draft Alex Smith. Besides Maybe some lineman I can't think of anything else the Lions can draft that they haven't already got.

The bears should try to pick up a Running back or Wide Reciver, WR would probably be best it would be a good gamble to pick up Mike Williams and they need to get a 3rd round back up or a Free Agent QB we don't have any one for that right now.

So you want to just forfeit next season? If we get rid of Joey, then where does that leave us at QB? We can't wait another three years for another guy to develop. We give Joey a fourth year, and beef up the secondary or offensive line in the first couple of rounds. I can see you are one of many Lions fans down on Joey, but you can't deny he drastically improved his statistics this season. Add to the fact that our team lead the league in dropped balls with (40). A good veteran needs to be signed on as a back-up, keep Joey as your starter, and draft a late round QB to groom as Joey's future back-up.

A stud defensive end might not be a bad option, but with Hall having a breakout year and Redding looking poised to do the same, we find ourselves with other pressing needs. The O-Line had trouble opening holes for Kevin Jones in the early part of the season, and didn't keep Joey protected as well as they did last year. As for our starting safeties this year, both were old and broken down, and lacked range. Next year is Terrence Holt's time to start, and I'd also like to see another young guy added alongside of him. I also wouldn't be opposed to another WR in the later rounds. Hakim and Streets were dissapointments and could potentially be gone. Charles Rogers hasn't proven he can stay healty for a full season, possibly leaving us with only Williams. Yet another option is a big-time TE, the Lions obviously didn't get much production out of Alexander/Fitzsimmons this year. I was really dissapointed in Alexander, but he fit the mold of a typical Lion wideout, bad case of the drops. Fitzsimmons on the other hand maybe deserves a chance at starting, he has shown soft hands, and an ability to get open if given playing time.