NME Awards

Different Cloud

As everyone parties late into the night, the SHOCKWAVES NME AWARDS 2005 are drawing to a close.

However before we hit the after-show to dance the ‘Hokey-Cokey’ with Liam Gallagher and mix cocktails with everyone in Razorlight except Johnny Borrell – gotta rest that throat sir – it’s NME.COM’s great pleasure to unveil the ultimate rock n roll list on planet earth right now.

So ladies and Gentlemen, here are the ShockWaves NME Awards 2005 winners:

* Best British Band – The Libertines

* Godlike Genius Award – New Order

* Best Album – Franz Ferdinand’s ‘Franz Ferdinand’

* Best Event – Paul McCartney/Glastonbury 2004

* Best Live Band – Muse

* Best New Band – Razorlight

* Best Solo Artist – Graham Coxon

* Best Track – Franz Ferdinand’s ‘Take Me Out’

* Best International Band – The Killers

* The Phillip Hall Radar Award – Kaiser Chiefs

* Best Video – Green Day’s ‘American Idiot’

* Best Music DVD – Oasis’ ‘Definitely Maybe’

* Best Film – ‘Shaun Of The Dead’

* Best TV Show – ‘Little Britain’

* Best Radio Show – Zane Lowe

Along with the prizes handed out tonight, your votes have also been totted-up for all the awards on offer and NME.COM can now reveal the following winners:

* Best Dressed – Brandon Flowers, The Killers

* Worst Dressed– Britney Spears

* Best Live Venue – London Carling Brixton Academy

* Best Website – NME.COM

* Hero Of The Year – John Peel

* Villain Of The Year – George W Bush

* Sexiest Man – Brandon Flowers, The Killers

* Sexiest Woman – Gwen Stefani

* Worst Album – Busted’s ‘A Present For Everyone’

* Worst Band – Busted

Everything looks really groovy, except for two things.

1.) What the fuck is so great about The Libertines? Seriously.

2.) Best Website just happens to be their own website? I don't know if they had fill in the blank answers, or poll options, but that just seems terribly fucked up.

Other than that, looking good. I actually like Muse now, so that's cool. The Killers are okay I guess.

[cue Reily bitching]

I agree with Tristof, what is it with the Libertines? People say Muse are over-rated....fucking hell, at least they've done some work for what they've got (four albums, and touring endlessly), whilst the Libertines are an OK band who get where they are due to Pete Doherty's constant drug problems in and out of the band.

These "awards" seem like crap, it's pretty much a list of any indie band that got media exposure. The Killers are annoying, With the exception of one or two songs Muse still blows, and villain of the year was pretty predictable.

I always hate this idea, but as Muse do something different, you either "get it" or you don't. Seemingly, most people on this board don't. At least they are a little unique, unlike The Libertines.

And btw, Ringmaster, The Libertines were shit live when I saw them. And I mean, REALLY shit. The only band that has been worse was the Lostprophets, and thats more due to my disgust for them, then them being bad ..... If I'd have been a fan, I probably would have appreciated the effort.

Killers = great

Razorlight = great

Muse = great

Franz Ferdinand = great

Shaun Of The Dead = great

Green Day = great

Libertines = alright but nowhere near best British band.

Did anyone watch the C4 segments each night this week where they talked about the nominees? Monday night was best group and Pete Doherty was there and slagged off every other group then when it came to Libertines everyone was suddenly "These are soooo cool, like sooo cool" and they managed to get something negative out of every group except them...Arse licking....

Their biggest problem with Muse? "They're good but I can't see working class kids on estates playing the CD loudly"....Hmmmmm

I love the Libertines, though they are an aquired taste, they're the kind of band you love or hate, there's no happy medium. Personally i'm a huge fan, Up the Bracket is an amazing album. I've said it numerous times, even if he is a smackrat Pete Doherty is a truly amazing songwriter.

Everyone moaning about the answers, the whole thing was a public vote and NME.com is pretty shit hot anyway.

Don't really agree with Libertines as best band this year, especially with the fact they effectively didn't exist post-summer, but the argument that they weren't something very special indeed is bollocks. Up the Bracket is probably the best album so far this decade and having seen them live five times they certainly aren't shit in that respect (note: I'm not a fanatic, just caught them a lot of times. Supporting the Strokes March 02, Leeds Festy 02, gig in Boro late 02, supporting Supergrass end of 02, gig in Boro early 04), in fact they're stunning. Unfortunately The Libertines couldn't live up to Up the Bracket in the bands state at the time and it looks like one of the biggest talents of their generation may have slipped away. Pete on his own doesn't have it, neither does Carl. So maybe the Best Band award is a parting thank you from the huge number of fans they built up in the space of 3 years.

Everyone moaning about the answers, the whole thing was a public vote and NME.com is pretty shit hot anyway.

Which doesn't mean anything at all. MTV was "pretty shit hot" at one time and allowed public voting on their awards, it doesn't mean they're any good.

Don't really agree with Libertines as best band this year, especially with the fact they effectively didn't exist post-summer, but the argument that they weren't something very special indeed is bollocks. Up the Bracket is probably the best album so far this decade and having seen them live five times they certainly aren't shit in that respect

Thier second album (which I have) is turgid wank (apart from a few songs), and if Up The Bracket is the best album so far this decade in your opinion, then no wonder music doesn't seem as good as it used to be. And I normally just relate the love for Libertines to the hate for Muse.....how do Muse get hated for being "over-rated", when they have done a lot more stuff (and a lot better stuff) than the Libertines, who have produced one half decent album, and one pile of wank, yet people still love the Libertines?

*somewhere in there is code for "There are much better albums out thier then "Up The Bracket"*

I don't understand the hype behind the Libertines, but I don't think they're bad either. And I thought that the guitarist was the talent behind the band, rather than Pete, or so I'm led to believe by some of my friends who are big on the Libertines.

Yay for Muse, Greenday and the Killers. Meh for pretty much everything else.