Final Star Wars Trailer to primeire during The OC

Laice07

I gotta admit, I am in a minority with these things. I love the original trilogy, I own the digitally restored VHS boxset (the one that came out shortly before the special editions were released in theaters). And, much like HT, I can recite the films by heart. But at the same time, I really don't care about them that much. I was excited about Phantom Menace and I thought it was decent. I was excited for Clones, and I liked it. I'm excited for Sith as well.

I think the big reason behind this is I just don't buy into hype. In fact, I haven't watched a single trailer for the new movie. I'm surprised I even came into this thread because I usually go out of my way to avoid ANYTHING Star Wars related until I see the new movie. I hopped in hear simply to share my opinion on the series as a whole. I think this is the reason I really don't get disappointed with the new movies, I don't hype myself up with impossible expectations only to feel that George Lucas just raped me of my childhood. They're good for what they are, fun movies.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion i never felt George Lucas was much of a writer/directer. He's a great storyteller though with a wild imagination but it's better when others interpret his story and write they're won scripts based on that. Yes THX 1138 was really skillfully directed, and yes American Graffiti was really clever for it's time, but I knw it's weird but his filmography is so small, he hasn't experienced directing anything outside of those two, the original Star Wars and now the prequels. Take for instance The Empire Strikes Back, argueably the better film in the original trilogy, was written by two other screenwriters and directed by a different directer. Sure George was there telling what needs to happen here and there but they still didn't havw to include his extremly dumbed down dialogue. Like if you watched the commentary for Empire, Irvin Kershner said that he wanted Solo to tell Leia "I love you too" before being frozen which is really cheesy. So Harrison and Kershner decided on the set (probably when George wasn't there) that they were gonna try something different, and it worked better. The problem with the prequels is that everyone thinks of Lucas as some god that no one will go Harrison Ford's approach and try to make the character they're own by truning the words into something they're character would say, instead they all just read the lines straight from the page and because the dialogue is so wooden, they seem wooden. I don't know if it's because Lucas is relying too much on CGI for the prequels that the actors are trapped with the words on the page or what. I just know that when you can make Ewan McGregor and Liam Neeson seem like terrible actors then there is something wrong.

end of rant

They're good for what they are, fun movies.

Personally, I really enjoyed the prequels. Although they aren't anywhere near the quality of the original trilogy, they are good I think. If you try watching it as a seperate entity from the originals, it's pretty fun I think.

And I can't fucking wait for this film to come out. There's two films I can't wait and am absolutley dying to see, and that's this and Serenity.

On the subject of the Special Edition original trilogy there are only two things I hate about his alterations. The scene where Jabba is first seen, and the seen with Greedo and Han in the cantina. Hate them both now.

Personally I'm one of those people who used to love the first trilogy(the special edition really messed it up for me) and is somewhat dissapointed in the prequels. To start off on the special edition I do believe there were some places that were ok to do the CG(obviously the hangar bay sequence when the Falcon is tractored into the Death Star), where as the entire ride through CGI Mos Eisly is pointless to the overall storyline to the film.

Now onto the thing I love most out of the Star Wars movies: the lightsaber fights and the battles. If I had to rank the battles it would go like this.

1.Battle of Hoth(Empire Strikes Back)

2.Assault on the Trade Ship(The Phantom Menace)

3.The trench sequence(A New Hope

4.Battle of Endor in space(Return of the Jedi)

100(I know it's supposed to be 5, but hey it really sucked)-Attack of the Clones Ground Battle

I of course will go see Revenge of the Sith, particulary because I heard the space battle is supposed to be good(and viewing a couple of the battle pictures from the trailer, I have to say I will be entralled by it). That's my spiel on Star Wars for now.

I don't why weveryone disowns Esp. 1 and 2. They both good Star Wars flims. Sure Jar Jar was a waste of CGI's but at least we got to see kick some Sith ass in Esp. 2

Back on Esp. 3 why did Gary Oldman pull out of playing Gen. Girevous. Something to SAG I think.

Guest Brady_3for3

I don't why weveryone disowns Esp. 1 and 2. They both good Star Wars flims. Sure Jar Jar was a waste of CGI's but at least we got to see kick some Sith ass in Esp. 2

Back on Esp. 3 why did Gary Oldman pull out of playing Gen. Girevous. Something to SAG I think.

Now onto the thing I love most out of the Star Wars movies: the lightsaber fights and the battles.  If I had to rank the battles it would go like this.

1.Battle of Hoth(Empire Strikes Back)

2.Assault on the Trade Ship(The Phantom Menace)

3.The trench sequence(A New Hope

4.Battle of Endor in space(Return of the Jedi)

100(I know it's supposed to be 5, but hey it really sucked)-Attack of the Clones Ground Battle

I of course will go see Revenge of the Sith, particulary because I heard the space battle is supposed to be good(and viewing a couple of the battle pictures from the trailer, I have to say I will be entralled by it).  That's my spiel on Star Wars for now.

Bah:

1. Hoth

2. Ender (space)

3. New Hope

...I've only seen the prequels once, so can't remember the battles clearly enough.

As for lightsaber battles (again, not being able to remember the prequels):

1. Luke vs. Vader II (Death Star)

2. Luke vs. Vader I (Cloud City)

3. Obi-Wan vs. Vader (Death Star)

*everything else*

Bottom of list: Yoda's one in Episode II. <_<

Seriously, it was an awesome moment when he just goes to reach for his lightsaber because everyone who's watching it goes "ooooh..." in a kind of expectant hush. But the actual fight itself with all the flippiness just ruined Yoda's mystique for me. Damn jumpy little bastard.

Guest Bluesman

Ugh...so in order to see the trailer I'll have to sit through that horseshit known as the O.C.? PASS

I never did see the first of the prequel trilogy, and the second wasn't half bad. I'm interested to see how this one looks, as this is one I think both the fiancee and I may want to see.

Yesterday on ET they revealed the offiical Poster for Episode III, it may contain some spoilers, so I'll just post the link if anyone's interested.

Poster.

Click on the poster for a larger image.

The artwork is wonderful, the layout seems weird though, its a good poster, but not as good as AOTC, but better then TPM.

Yesterday on ET they revealed the offiical Poster for Episode III, it may contain some spoilers, so I'll just post the link if anyone's interested.

Poster.

Click on the poster for a larger image.

The artwork is wonderful, the layout seems weird though, its a good poster, but not as good as AOTC, but better then TPM.

This must be a big week for you
Edited by Laice_

you know I wouldn't mind dying January 1st 2006.  :P

oh no it's an internet suicide plot someone call 9/11

Anyway, the poster is so/so. I'd like to say it's in the vein, but more then anything it just seems derivative. Lackluster at best.

Trailer

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/topnews.php?id=8705

Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith director George Lucas was interviewed by CBS' 60 Minutes and says the third and final prequel will not likely receive the PG rating the previous five films have received.

"I don't think I would take a five- or a six-year-old to this," says Lucas, "It's way too strong."

Lucas is referring to violent scenes in the film and also to Anakin Skywalker's journey to the dark side in the climax of the 30-year-old

series. "We're going to watch him make a pact with the devil," Lucas tells the program.

He says Skywalker will be descending into Lucas' frightening vision of Hell, a mythical planet composed entirely of erupting volcanos. "Yes...the lava at the end...it ends in hell."

"[The film] is much more dark...more emotional. It's much more of a tragedy," adds Lucas. "My feeling is that it will probably be a PG-13, so it will be the first Star Wars that's a PG-13."

The interview will be broadcast on Sunday, March 13 from 7:00-8:00pm, ET/PT.