ATP Masters Series in Miami Thread

FLiam

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That rally was great, 45 shots and it had it all. Hewitt was pegged back early on just not getting any depth and then he suddenly upped it, getting Federer off guard and had him in his hand from then on but Federer is just so damn quick. Expected Federer to kill it when he ran in but it was a good reach by Hewitt.

Best point i've seen talent wise.

Paradorn Schricipan's round the net post was bloody amazing though, I think that's the one you see on the highlights before the clip where he does the splits. Always good to see a point like that in a tennis match, makes it all the more worthwhile.

On another note, my mate said that Pete Sampras is the best tennis player ever.

I still think Roger Federer is a better player, and will be definatley if he keeps up his form for the next 5 years or so, what do you all think.

Or Malenko and Ace and naiwf.

Edited by Gooner4Life

On another note, my mate said that Pete Sampras is the best tennis player ever.

I still think Roger Federer is a better player, and will be definatley if he keeps up his form for the next 5 years or so, what do you all think.

Or Malenko and Ace and naiwf.

Edited by naiwf

Another question. Do you think Federer can stay number 1 for that long and win that many more Grand Slams. I can see him doing that personally, I just think he is fucking awesome, he is the reason that I really started to get into tennis.

Another question. Do you think Federer can stay number 1 for that long and win that many more Grand Slams. I can see him doing that personally, I just think he is fucking awesome, he is the reason that I really started to get into tennis.

My best guess right now is Federer will have at least 8 Slams at the end of his career barring a monumental injury/premature retirement. I'd also say he's got another 2 years of weeks at #1 minimum. Whether they're all consecutive or not I don't know. The fact that Hewitt & Roddick can't seem to beat him helps his cause. When you toss in that Safin's a complete headcase who can win a Slam and then lose 3 out of 5, I don't see anyone threatening the # 1 ranking until at least 2006 or 2007.

Edited by Malenko

Schedule of Play for Thursday, March 31, 2005

Stadium: 1:00 PM Start

Women's Singles: Semifinal

1. Venus Williams (USA) [8]  vs.  Maria Sharapova (RUS) [2]

Men's Singles: Quarterfinal

2. Roger Federer (SUI) [1]  vs.  Tim Henman (GBR) [6]

Stadium: 7:00 PM Start

Men's Singles: Quarterfinal

1. Taylor Dent (USA) [31]  vs.  Andre Agassi (USA) [9]

Women's Singles: Semifinal

2. Amelie Mauresmo (FRA) [1]  vs.  Kim Clijsters (BEL)

So, 1pm is about 7pm UK time right?

So that means Henman will be on around 8.30-9pm my guess would be. There are 4 very good matches in prospect for tonight, I am looking foward to the Dent/Agassi one, I would love for Dent to pull off an upset, but I don't think he will.

I believe it's 6pm UK. New York's time is -5 hours than Portugal and Miami is also on the East Coast, so they should have the same time. I also think the UK has the same time as Portugal. Unless those have changed with the Summer time changes.  dunno then.

Federer will retire the greatest player ever. I can see Nadal pushing him in a few years. There are those coming up through the ranks from Serbia and Montenegro etc. but right now Federer is too good and the slight slip he's had recently is only that and nothing more.

Whether Federer retires with more or less Grand Slam wins than Sampras, Federer will still be the best.

That was a really good match between Sharapova & Venus. I still think it showed why Venus will never be an elite level player (#1 and/or Slam winner) again though. Her consistency just isn't there for two or three big matches in a row anymore. I think she pull off the odd upset now and then, but I just can't see her being a major player at the Slams these days.

On a bit of an unrelated note, it's still kind of funny to see how Sharapova & Federer both choked at the Aussie Open when the titles were theirs for the taking, but have rebounded in really strong fashion as a result. I hope to see them both repeat (3-peat for Roger) at Wimbledon, and I'm going to guess that they will be the # 1 seeds at that time. Davenport & Mauresmo will find a way to let Maria take the top spot some time in the next two months or less.

The thing with Federer is, he really doesn't look like stopping this form any time soon.

I mean, he has been in this form for ages and there are no real signs of him stopping, every match I see him play, he is better than the match before. Quite scary really. He is a tennis machine.