NARC...

Dyko

I picked up the PS2 version of NARC recently, and I have to say it is a pretty decent game in my opinion.

My assessment, which a friend said should be the tagline on the box was that it is way better than a $29.99 Canadian game has any business being.

I'd describe it as a combination of True Crime: Streets of LA and Spiderman 2, but without being nearly as detailed. Again, at $29.99 ($19.99 US, or probably something like 0.013 pounds for the UKers with the exchange), I think the game has more than enough fun value to warrant at least trying it out. The graphics are nothing special at all, and the mechanics have a few issues, but over-all, I think it is a solid enough bargain title.

The voice acting is pretty great, and definitely gives it a solid "cop drama" feel. There isn't much of it, but the licensed music in the game is perfect for what it is (the music and graphics changes from doing some pot is perfect, and walking around as an undercover cop to "Pusherman" is just great).

There are a few camera and aiming issues that have showed up and caused some problems, and even though they tried to make a solid good cop vs bad cop mechanic to the game, it is just way too easy to move from one alignment to the other. I would have prefered if there were more benefits and detriments to the way you acted (like maybe more cooperation from criminals while bad, but also having to deal with other cops keeping an eye on you or something).

Over-all, I'd probably give this game a 6.5/10...it's been fun so far, but I can definitely see it getting to a certain point before hitting the repetative wall, but, again, for the price of going to the movies twice, I think picking it up is more than justifyable (though renting is probably more than enough).

Yeah, you can take drugs that you get off of criminals to do things like slow the world down, give you a speed burst, increase accuracy, etc., which last for a little while, but eventually you start developing an addiction if you do it too much, so you end up having to go into a sort of fight-the-addiction-mini-game, where you have to press certain buttons to fight the craving, and if you lose, you end up blacking out and ending up in a random part of the city.

I haven't had that happen to me yet, but that's pretty much the jist of what I got from the instruction book.

Guest Crimson Nightmare

Good to see positive response towards NARC, I thought it was a great modern re-make of the "classic" arcade game. I thought the voice acting was awesome. Michael Madsen's lines had be rolling sometimes, and he has a great voice in the first place. and Bill Bellamy in another role as a cop gave me great Fastlane flashbacks. I loved the fact that hey, you could use drugs for a powerup, but don't abuse the ability because there WILL be consequences. I'm currently having trouble with the first assignment in China where you have to come to Marcus' rescue, but I haven't played the game for a while now. The soundtrack was good, but repetetive at times. I really enjoy the free-roaming parts where you can walk around and bust up crimes in progress (although I NEVER catch a suspect who opens fire on someone and runs for some reason), over at gamefaqs (I don't post there any, but I do read opinions on games and such) alot of people had naggings and stuff about the game, but I'm convinced that most of the people there would bitch about the tiniest flaw in something just because they can. NARC's sweet. For the price, you can't go wrong. Great action game that actually manages to stand out in a sea of them.

• 3 weeks later...

I've rented the game a for a week and so far its decent , graphical glitches , camera and aiming problems are teh biggest drawback.

I'm stuck on a mission and need help .

The part where you have to sneak on the rooftop and eliminate the guys so you can get close enough to take the pictures of the guys at the meeting. I can get all the pics except for the bottom guy on the left. I cannot find a good place to get a clean pic. Can anyone help ?

I'm thinking of getting this. Most reviews give it around a 6.5, and say its a pretty fun game, in thr short term, abliet with a few glitches.

For £12.99, you can't go wrong for a bit of short term fun.