Under the Radar...

JStarr

I'm not sure Katamari Damacy qualifies as a "sleeper" anymore, so I won't mention my addiction to that one, but...

I've been spending obscene amounts of time on Amplitude lately after finally finding a cheap copy at my local EB. The diversity of music on this one (Pink, Garbage, Weezer, David Bowie, P.O.D., Run-DMC, and muchos otros) totally sets it apart from its predecessor Frequency, which was all techno-driven. Don't get me wrong, I like me some electronic music, but I like variety more. And "Cherry Lips" by Garbage may be the single most infectious song I've ever heard in a game.

Also, did anyone try out Project Eden in PS2's early days? I have some strange soft spot for that one, even though I hit a dead end and haven't picked it up in over a year.

So anyway, what are some of the games you've checked out and enjoyed that most others might not have caught?

Hearts of Iron. WW2 strategy game using the Europa Universalis engine.

You've gotta play as Germany...I mean, the whole fun of being the antagonist is that you're *supposed* to go out there and stir shit up...not just wait around for people to attack you like the US.

It's currently April 1941, and I'm nearly at the end of my 12 month military build-up on the Eastern front before I launch my invasion of the Soviet Union on May 1st (in my last game I waited until 1942 to try this...never doing that again). Then, just as everything was falling into place, the British decide to try something in Greece. The Italians, being useless, flop. I have to divert two Panzer armies at the last second (including Rommel) to save the situation - but damnit, OPERATION BARBAROSSA GOES OFF WITHOUT A HITCH, YOU HEAR ME?!?

Yeah...I may be taking this a little too personally. :shifty:

Edited by stokeriño

Way Of The Samurai 2 on PS2.

Annoying story (at times), repetitive, constraining...

But all the swordplay, different sword fighting styles (two swords, ninja, heavy, katana etc) and the odd moment of storyline freedom and freshness keeps me addicted after nearly a year...Also it has 30 different endings...Doh...

Guest Mr McFarlane

You've gotta play as Germany...I mean, the whole fun of being the antagonist is that you're *supposed* to go out there and stir shit up...not just wait around for people to attack you like the US.

It's currently April 1941, and I'm nearly at the end of my 12 month military build-up on the Eastern front before I launch my invasion of the Soviet Union on May 1st (in my last game I waited until 1942 to try this...never doing that again). Then, just as everything was falling into place, the British decide to try something in Greece. The Italians, being useless, flop. I have to divert two Panzer armies at the last second (including Rommel) to save the situation - but damnit, OPERATION BARBAROSSA GOES OFF WITHOUT A HITCH, YOU HEAR ME?!?

Hearts of Iron II > *

Yes...but I don't own that do I? <_<

I'm tempted to buy it for £17.99 from Play.com right now...only the amount of money I've already spent unnecessarily in recent days boggles the mind. >_<

Edit: Fuck it. I'm doing a War Studies degree. These sort of games fall under the catagory of "academic expenses".

Edited by stokeriño

I picked up Fight Night Round 2 and haven't been able to play anything else. This has to be one of the best boxing games ever. The graphics are great, the cutman feature is great and I love the haymaker punches.

Hearts of Iron II > *

• 2 weeks later...