The Official Blackburn Rovers Thread

9 to 5

Guest Pirate Chasin' Booty

There was definitely a bias in the refereeing, he seemed quick to flash the yellow card for commiting the same offence a Blackburn player committed 5 minutes earlier.

Its not as if I'm bitter and blaming the referee because we didn't lose, but its still something everyone noticed.

I can't wait for 2020 when we have robo-refs.

EDIT: The highlight for me was the 43 passes we managed to make, reminded me of watching the Harlem Globetrotters.

Edited by muddatrucker

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stuart Pearce takes his Manchester City side to Blackburn Rovers.

Manchester City and Rovers are both safely nestled in mid-table, but neither manager is likely to let his side coast towards the end of the season.

City could still be in with a shout of making Europe, as they sit four points behind seventh-placed Tottenham with four games left to play.

Pearce has impressed as City boss since taking over from Kevin Keegan, and the fierce competitor will not want his men to show any signs of complacency at Ewood Park.

The former Nottingham Forest left back is also looking to earn the City job full time and prove himself with a late run of form.

Jon Macken could return for City at Blackburn should he come through a late training session without any reaction from his troublesome hamstring.

Paul Bosvelt is back in the squad after being dropped for City's 3-0 win over Birmingham at Eastlands on Wednesday.

Rovers boss Mark Hughes is also determined to keep his side going, despite pulling clear of the relegation zone in recent games.

Hughes' side have come in for severe criticism over the heavy-handed tactics, but they have been grinding out the results to ensure relegation is no longer a threat.

Rovers will not be changing their style and the hosts will ensure it is a testing trip for Pearce to remain in good form as City boss.

Hughes will, however, be without the services of livewire striker Paul Dickov, who will miss the match due to a knee injury, while Robbie Savage is also a doubt with a groin problem.

The loss of Dickov and Savage makes the job of 3 points alot harder, but I can see us gutting it out for a draw.

• Admin

I don't think the loss of Savage is a particulary big blow, he really hasn't done much for us yet, expect some really wild lunges. Reid & Flitcroft / Tugay / Thompson can fill in no probs.

And though Dickov has been getting us goals, our 4-5-1 system plays better with Stead up on his own, so I'm not to concerned about that either.

I think we might sneak a 1-0 or 2-1 win today.

Also in an interesting fact, the goal last night was the first one we have conceded in the league for 7 hours and 19 minutes. Totally unthinkable we could do anything like that back in October and November when our defense was a complete joke. Just shows what an impact Mark Hughes has made to our club so far with regards to smart ceahp buys and boosting the confidence of some of our players, Flitcroft and Todd especially.

• Admin

Decent draw tonight, considering WBA have everything to play for. Shame Stead didn't knock his effort in but these things happen. Your lover scored a decent goal RW. >_>

Whereas your boy sat on the bench and did sod all again :P

• 3 years later...

It said in the paper here in BlackBurnk, that if Rovers would have got the take over money that was meant to go ahead sometime last season, then Hughes would have stayed with us.

I really don't want Big Sam coming to BlackBurn. I also want to hear your rant Dave, I'm also pissed off. :angry:

Well let's see. Mark Hughes wanting to move on to a bigger and better club is just natural. I don't think anyone who is a fan can begrudge him too much there and Man City does have a bigger fanbase, resources, pulling power etc than we do. However, the leadership at Manchester City is almost beyond words. The chairman ruined his own country with his appalling human rights record and funding the club with such dirty money, how is that a desirable boss? Let's sayby remote chance he is clean, he is still a shit boss. Sven was asked to get top half and European football at the start of the season. Sven did very well re-building the team and was 1st choice for the job. His reward? The sack.

Short of Hughes winning something and finishing top six, he could well be out of a job. He must have some real confidence about taking that job which is admirable but this could really define his management status within the footballing world. He should of stayed on or tried to work in a deal to get to Chelsea. Roman might not be a great chairman but he does understand football a bit. He would have been better off there if he really wanted out of Ewood Park.

As for the people in the race for the job?

Big Sam would be a deeply unpopular choice, but a good one. He will keep us in the league for sure and make us competitive. Plus we have a better squad of players than Bolton have ever had plus some money to spend. It could be alot worse.

Speaking of which, if Steve McClaren gets anywhere near the job I will be forced to dis-band and join another club and burn down Ewood. Don't grass me up.>_>

Paul Ince would be a bit of a risk but so far he is showing he can be a great manager and maybe Blackburn will be the making of him? I wouldn't cry if he got the job but I wouldn't be over-joyed/

Alan Shearer? YeaaaaaaaNo. He has no expericne whatsoever in management or coaching and only in the running because he once won something here. Just a shame he seems to have forgot he ever played for us. Not for me at all.

My choice is someone who didn't get it last time. Dick Advocaat. Won leagues in 3 different countries, just won the UEFA cup with an unfancied side and has stated recently he would love to manage in England. What could be a better realistic choice?

I was going to say Souness, but he would probally fall out with most of the current squad. He was a good manager when we had him, promotion back to the Premiership and then a League Cup, but I'm still on the fence with him at the moment as well.

Its clear that most people in and around Blackburn at the moment want Shearer, but its a long shot.

Edit: Its time like this that we need a Blackburn thread, I think Dave had one *hint...hint*.

Edited by Lex Luther

Time has passed Souness by now. He was good during most of his reign, won more than Hughes too. ;)

It does grate me a bit when people suggest Souness, Shearer, Dalgaish etc. It seems only a former player or manager is well liked by a sizable part of the fanbase to get the job. I understand people wanting an instant emotional attachment to the new boss but we should look for the best, realistic replacement, not someone who hasn't been in a manager's job in 10 years and quit when the pressure got too much in this day and age.

• Admin

In all seriousness...

Allardyce - would prob. do a good job, but still doesn't stop me fearing he'd re-sign Kevin Davies :shifty:

McClaren - NO NO NO NO NO FUCK NO

Jewell - Ahahahahahahah, no. At least Billy Davies managed to win a game with Derby.

Shearer - Like 925 says, he seems to forget he ever played for us, so I doubt it somehow. Not that I'd want him especially anyway.

Ince - could be good, but I'd rather he had one or two more years experience first.

Some other outsiders...

Avram Grant - I think he'd do a great job, but probably not the sort of club he's looking for at the mo.

Henning Berg - Hey, he's a legend! Plus he's not doing too badly with Lyn!

Thanks for reminding me of a few guys in the race.

Grant would be a decent choice I reckon but I can't see him coming to us. A shame, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Ten Cate has been mentioned in some circles and whist I think he is a decent manager I don't think our club is to his suiting and he does like falling out with players.

Henning Berg? Doing well, knows the club well and the Englih market. Ah fuck it, we will have him!