The Official Blackburn Rovers Thread

9 to 5

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Especially without Hughes the amazing, truly fabulous God of all cheap signings right?

If you got Advocaat, I'm sure he'd able to bring in a couple of players from Zenit etc.

If you sold Samba, Pedersen, Santa Cruz and Bentley you'd have enough money to cover the positions with good enough players.

People are saying £30m for SC and Bentley. Plus maybe like £4m for Gamst. Then how many for Samba? It's enough to cover the positions with good enough players.

• Admin

I'm not even sure we'd need a new centre back - I never understood what Zurab did to get dropped in the first place. Our defensive record with Nelsen & Zurab as centre-backs is a lot better than when it's Nelsen & Samba are playing. Sure, Samba is huge, but he don't half make a lot of mistakes. There's also Ooijer, or Eddie Nolan could be given a go.

Especially without Hughes the amazing, truly fabulous God of all cheap signings right?

If you got Advocaat, I'm sure he'd able to bring in a couple of players from Zenit etc.

If you sold Samba, Pedersen, Santa Cruz and Bentley you'd have enough money to cover the positions with good enough players.

People are saying £30m for SC and Bentley. Plus maybe like £4m for Gamst. Then how many for Samba? It's enough to cover the positions with good enough players.

Why tear apart a good team when you don't need to? Likelihood is Bentley and Santa Cruz are off, Pedersen will stay as I can;t see anyone any better than us wanting him and nor can I see Samba moving on just yet.

Hughes knew a fucking bargain when he saw one, who else could build his first choice pairing for centre back for 400k? Or buy two strikers in two years who both hit 20+ goals for the season both bought for 3m or less? But credit also has to go to the scouting system in place to find the players in teh first place.

Yes, Zurab was dropped unfairly for me as was Ooijer to an extent at the tail end of the season. My Samba love does blind me a bit but he is prone to mistakes. Still, he has the potential to be a pretty fantastic defender. For a big centre back, he can't half dribble! :P

I never said tear them apart, ever. I never said they should all be sold. People have said that they think they might go, all I said is it would be easy enough to replace them should they be sold. I only realistically see Bentley and Santa Cruz going, I don't believe there will be an exodus at all.

Hughes is in a position surrounded by massive amounts of money and obviously a lot of expectations on his shoulders. He's going to be looking at bigger and better things than Blackburn Rovers players if he wants to achieve what is undoubtedly expected of him so I don't believe for one second he'll be raiding Blackburn like so many have said.

• Admin

So, according to the papers this morning, these are the candidates for the job;

- Alan Shearer (with the club delegates alledgedly flying out to Switzerland to discuss it with him)

- Sam Allardyce

- Paul Ince

- Henk Ten Cate

- Dick Advocaat

- Steve McClaren

- Avram Grant

- Roberto Mancini (lol, nice one journos)

I feel slightly better now than when it was Allardyce, McClaren & Jewell. But Mancini? Really? Just reeks of "well, he hasn't got a job at the moment, so let's link him to a vacant post". High class journalism.

Advocaat is my preferred choice, would make me quite like Blackburn if he went. I don't know HTC will be a great manager or not at Blackburn, he's more a second in command/coach to me rather than at the head of it all. Ince needs a bit more time. Allardyce, McClaren, Mancini all lol. Grant would be alright but I don't know if he's going to rush back into a managerial position, and I don't see him coming back to England when he does.

Advocaat w/ Henk Ten Cate to me would be lovely. I could see Blackburn improving rapidly with that, but I'm not sure if they could stretch those kind of resources to get them both. But it's certainly a nice thought.

Hughes is in a position surrounded by massive amounts of money and obviously a lot of expectations on his shoulders. He's going to be looking at bigger and better things than Blackburn Rovers players if he wants to achieve what is undoubtedly expected of him so I don't believe for one second he'll be raiding Blackburn like so many have said.

New Manchester City boss Mark Hughes is planning to raid his old club Blackburn Rovers for giant defender Christopher Samba. (Daily Mail)

And...

Ex-player Henning Berg has emerged as a front-runner for the vacant manager's job at Blackburn. (The Times)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/g...ers/7445431.stm

• 1 month later...

Hardly wanking myself off about that news, but if used as a back-up and a sort of striking coach/adviser then I am not too bothered assuming his wages are small. I just don't like Fowler for some reason which doesn;t help.

I love Fowler, being a Liverpool fan and all but I doubt he'll be signed by Blackburn. He's better off either retiring or going to some lesser league.

I thought he was off to play in Dubai.

Could be, I thought Rovers where going to play in Germany for something, I could be wrong.

I hope they don't offer him a contract as he won't add anything to club, he could be a good coach or something but thats all I could see him doing and being a sub or something in the last 20 minutes or so.

If Ince wants to offer a contract to someone then that someone should be Matt Jansen, he could still play and be good.

• Admin

First friendly tonight against Macclesfield - and David Bentley has a "calf injury" and isn't playing. Matt Derbyshire starts on the right instead, with Steven Reid at right-back (Ooijer, Emerton, Mokoena & Santa Cruz still on extended break for their international duties over the summer)