Screenplay writing

Docpepper

Hmmm...I probably should have come into this topic when I had to right a scene from A River Runs Through It (the book) into script form. Damnit, oh well.

I might get into this, as the writing of the script for the project I had to do was pretty nice, but then again this might be different.

Actually that is wrong, there is the "acadamy"style where you are taught to use exact font, etc, etc but most people prefer to use their own writing style rather then adapt to something that doesn't come naturally

That's all good, but don't expect to sell your script if you are going to use your own writing style.

Precisely. Screenplays have an industry standard, or "academy" style as you put it, for a reason, and in 99.9% of cases a movie mogul wouldn't give you the time of day for a script in anyother format, explaining why your "most people" probably don't get anywhere in the film industry.

Guest The Psychotic One

Amazon.com is your friend. Buy scripts of real movies (American Beauty, Adaptation, Shawshank Redemption, Pulp Fiction, that sort of thing) - they are available and they're not expensive. I also recommend "How NOT To Write A Screenplay" by Denny Martin Flinn - gives some nice examples of easy mistakes to make, and how to avoid looking like a complete amateur and dork.

Okay, I don't want to start a new topic for this. I writing a TV Show for my own amusement, and I was wondering. About how many pages is a 30 minute show(Which is about 22 minutes with the commercials) and how many pages is a 60 minute show(44 minutes I believe.) And help will be greatly appreciated.

Also how many scene changes do you think would be good to have in a 30 minutes show and a 60 minute one.

As a general guideline, I've always been taught that a page is roughly equal to a minute. That's not always true, obviously, it depends on how much occurs in that minute, but for basic scenes, that's generally the case.

Okay, I don't want to start a new topic for this.  I writing a TV Show for my own amusement, and I was wondering.  About how many pages is a 30 minute show(Which is about 22 minutes with the commercials) and how many pages is a 60 minute show(44 minutes I believe.)  And help will be greatly appreciated.

Also how many scene changes do you think would be good to have in a 30 minutes show and a 60 minute one.

Scene changes, in modern times, is anything goes, it depends on the TV show. Instead of scene changes, use Acts.

In your TV shows that are 30 minutes, you have 3 acts, one the introduction. The other two are the regular scenes.

In TV shows that are 60 minutes, 5 acts, one the intro.

Skumfrog is right, 1 page = 1 Minute, generally.