Screenplay writing

Docpepper

I'm wanting to try my hand at screenplay writing but have no idea where to start does anyone have a site with either tutorials or descriptions of the format I need to use ? thanks

If you've ever seen a script beforte that's where I'd suggest starting.  Copy that format but be more descriptive about scenes.

Not true at all. One of the worst mistakes to make in a screenplay is to be overly descriptive. Just give the basics and stage directions, leave the detailed description for storyboards. A full-length screenplay will take a good hour or two to read, so it's best not to make it overly wordy.

http://www.screenwriting.info is a fairly good website to start with, and if you've got the cash, I heartily suggest The Guerrila Film-maker's Handbook and The Guerrila Film-maker's Blueprint, which cover every part of the film-making process from screenplay-writing, storyboards, directing, filming, post-production, even catering.

Get Final Draft.

Listen to her.

I'm a screenwriter myself, and I always used Word.

However, I recently had a chance to use Final Draft...and I think I've switched over to it.

Ahem...if you PM, I can uh....show you...something about it......ahem.

If you've ever seen a script beforte that's where I'd suggest starting.  Copy that format but be more descriptive about scenes.

Not true at all. One of the worst mistakes to make in a screenplay is to be overly descriptive. Just give the basics and stage directions, leave the detailed description for storyboards. A full-length screenplay will take a good hour or two to read, so it's best not to make it overly wordy.

I've never looked into screenplay writing that much, however, if you aren't actually making it into a play, and just want to do screenplay writing and they're will be no storyboard etc., then i see no reason why not to add a bit more description than usual.

If I tried it i'd end up going too far into detail :P. Any story i write during creative writing for English has very little dialogue and lots of detail :P

EDIT: What do you mean Lanky? :huh::P

Edited by IAceI

Guest Grapehead

I think there is a difference in the pace... but I could be horribly wrong, but I thought dialogue was exchange between characters, whereas speech would be more one sided.

Edited by Grapehead

I've read and worked with my fair share of both, Screenplay's tend to be far more descriptive. Mainly because with a play the directions are more or less solely down to artistic interpretation. Screenplays are more one persons vision.

The descriptions are very neccisary, because in certain situations, you need to provide visiual clues as to who that person is.

EXAMPLE:

The Royal Tenenbaums. Wes Anderson and Owen Wilson did an amazing job, because if you just look at all the minor little details that were thrown in, eg a ton of National Geographics in Angelica Houston's study, the books of plays in Gweneth Paltrow's room, it just shows more and more about the characters.

Another example, why write into a story that a person is a contract killer, when you can just show a couple little things that might hint at it. Military medals displayed, a katana, etc. It's all called show, don't tell.

Final example, Star Wars: ANH. Luke sits playing with his little toy before he says "Oh, it just isn't fair".....shows he's a dreamer, and wants nothing more to fly (Well, this was a good 5 minutes before he changes his mind and finds out about the Jedi...)

Regardless of who the screenplay is for, you need the description. It's a silent friend.

As far as dialogue goes...face it...you need good dialogue. It can make or break movies. Episode II would've been far better if GL had used better dialogue in it, then the way it was written out "This is a shortcut...I think". Bad dialgouge made it dissapointing. Too much dialgouge can kill a movie, like Matrix Revolutions "Maybe you made those cookies, maybe you didn't, but if you did........" etc.

Isn't dialogue the same as speech?

No.

Speech is how you say something, dialogue is the words.

I've read and worked with my fair share of both, Screenplay's tend to be far more descriptive. Mainly because with a play the directions are more or less solely down to artistic interpretation. Screenplays are more one persons vision.

There is no set way to write a script, most writers have there own format for writing.  I suggest you take a look at some scripts and blend different styles together to make your own format.

Er...no. There is a globally recognised template for scripts and screenplays. Margins, fonts, font size, layout all has to be exact...

Complete Book of Scriptwriting

Can't recommend this book enough. It has some sad, ugly truths to impart, but a little reality check never hurt any prospective writer.

Agreed.

I got a copy of it for my 18th birthday, and it has helped my writing gone from shit to crap.

Also, for you dreamers out there like me...

This has some good stuff on it, including margins and such.

That helped me get my format down.