Underground...

Dr. Rated-R

Okay, I'd like to start by saying that I've never really got to enjoy anything from the 'underground' rap scene. The only underground stuff I've heard are some tracks from 50 Cent's 'Power of the Dollar' CD, which is alot better than his current stuff, IMO.

Anyways, I'm just wondering where I should start, who I should listen to, etc.

Immortal Technique. He's the underground's current poster boy. Bit too political for my personal tastes, but he has skills.

Songs: Freedom of Speech, The Poverty of Philosophy

MF Doom AKA FM Mood AKA DM Food AKA Viktor Vaughan AKA King Gheedorah. He's got a very weird style, kind of making-up-as-he-goes-along, free association speech kinda thing. Very cool, though.

Songs: Strange Ways (as MF Doom/Madvillainy)

Canibus is borderline, you should have heard of him. If not, get the following:

Songs: Poet Laureate II, Master Thesis, Second Round K.O.

Talib Kweli. Got a little radio play a couple of years back. You might know him.

Songs: Get By, The Blast, Lonely People

Jean Grae. With the possible exception of Lauryn Hill, the best ever female emcee.

Songs: God's Gift, My Crew, No Doubt

Also: Murs, Swollen Members, Jedi Mind Tricks, Del tha Funky Homosapien, Tech N9ne, Ras Kass, Pharoahe Monch

I like Twista alot these days, but he's not exactly underground, now is he?

Damnit. Jimmy took my Canibus suggestion. It's my turn to preach the gospel that is Canibus, Jimmy! MY TURN.

Jimmy has said some really nice Emcees I was gonna say (punk :angry: ) like Immortal, Canibus, Monch, Ras, N9ne, Murs. I suggest Crooked I (he's fire), Thirstin Howl III, Chino XL, Louis Logic, Brother Ali, Pace Won, Planet Asia, Jeru the Damaja, Last Emperor.