We Built This Forum (On Our Diaries)

Here is my backstory. Fear it's awesomeness:

World Champion: Hulk Hogan

IC Champion: The Ultimate Warrior

Tag Teag Champions: The Colossal Connection: Andre the Giant and Haku

Million Dollar Champion: Ted Dibiase

I only posted that because I think I remember someone wanting to know who my champs were. Anyway first show should be up tonight.

Worldwide Power Wrestling

Airing in syndication from Sunday December 31, 1989 to Saturday January 06, 1990

Announcers: Gordon Solie and Bob Caudle

Taped from the WCW Studios and Fayetteville, North Carolina

The show opens with clips of NWA stars from today such as Sting, Lex Luger, Ric Flair, Terry Funk, Arn Anderson, The Steiners, The Midnight Express, and James E. Cornette hitting The Dynamic Dudes with a tennis racket, before the new Worldwide Power logo hurtles at the screen. It explodes and the scene cuts to Gordon Solie and Bob Caudle in a newsroom type setting, standing and holding WCW microphones.

Solie: Welcome to a new year here for World Championship Wrestling and a new look for Worldwide Power Wrestling. I am Gordon Solie, and for the next sixty minutes I will be joined by my colleague Bob Caudle.

Caudle: Thank you Gordon. We’re just a few days into 1990, and already things are happening fast and furious within World Championship Wrestling. Perhaps the biggest news of the year already is the match that Jim Herd and the NWA Board Of Directors have signed to main event Clash Of The Champions X: Texas Shootout coming to you LIVE on TBS on Tuesday February 6.

Solie: We’ll be dealing with that as the hour progresses to be sure, as well as show you what happened in the Tag Team Iron Man Tournament at Starrcade last month with exclusive clips you won’t see anywhere else. But first, let’s head to Fayetteville, NC and a match between…

Flyin’ Brian Pillman and The Z-Man vs. The Flamingo Brothers

The music of Flyin Brian hits and he and Z-Man come from the back in their new matching red and silver jackets, slapping hands on the way to the ring. The fans show their love for this team, cheering them on even more once they enter the ring. Pillman and Z-Man remove their jackets and hand them to referee Tommy Young, who hands them to a lovely young ring attendant, as the announcer walks to the center of the ring once more.

Announcer: And their opponents, weighing in at a combined weight of …uh…242218.3416 grams and hailing from Miami Beach Florida, they are Scott The Stud and Scotty The Body…The Flamingo Brothers!

With that some Miami Sound Machine rip off music begins to play and two men walk from the back slowly to little crowd reaction at all. Scott The Stud is about 6’6" and has greasy, stringy, black hair. He is wearing a gold chain around his neck and a pair of pink wrestling trunks. He smirks, removes his sunglasses, and saunters to the ring. At his side is Scotty The Body, standing 6’1" roughly and wearing sunglasses, a denim jacket with pink and gold patches on it, and a pink singlet. His long black hair is curly. The two get into the ring, look at their opponents, and laugh amongst themselves as they point. Pillman shakes his head then exits the ring as Z-Man and The Stud start things off.

The match is slow to start, a feeling out process between the two teams with plenty of tags. Every time a Flamingo Brother starts to get a little momentum, they back off and tag out, laughing as they do so. The fans quickly start to turn on these two, booing a bit here and there.

Pillman soon locks up with The Body and grounds him with a leg sweep that excites the crowd as they cheer. He tags in Z-Man, who climbs the ropes and comes off the turnbuckle only to meet a foot to the jaw, dropping hard to the mat. For the next five minutes, it’s all Flamingos, who tag in and out rapidly, working over the neck of Z-Man in the process.

Caudle and Solie discuss the Tag Team Division a bit, mentioning how the long inactive NWA US Tag Team Titles are rumored to be making a comeback soon, and how many new Tag Teams will be debuting within the next few weeks to months as well, such as the newly debuting Flamingo Brothers.

Scott The Stud gets Z-Man on his shoulders in a crucifix like position and proceeds to walk around the ring with him. This waste of time is apparently all that Z-Man needs to recover, as he slips out and leaps to his corner getting the hot tag to Pillman, who leaps over the ropes and hits The Stud with a boot to the side of the head. The Body attempts to enter the ring, and he is met with an Enzuguiri by Pillman that sends him rolling under the ropes to the floor. Pillman climbs up to the other turnbuckle, and when The Stud turns to face him, Pillman flies with a Cross Body Block that sends The Stud to the mat. Referee Tommy Young counts the 1-2-3 pinfall to give the win to Pillman and Z-Man.

Scott The Stud rolls to the floor next to his brother and the two make their way up the aisle, looking unhappy and confused as they do. In the ring Pillman and Z-Man celebrate to the cheers from the crowd.

WINNERS: Flyin’ Brian Pillman and The Z-Man

WORKRATE: 93

CROWD: 61

OR: 77

commercials

Solie: Welcome back. At this time we’re going to show you exclusive clips from Starrcade and the Tag Team Iron Man series of matches between The Steiner Brothers, The Wild Samoans, Doom, and The Road Warriors.

The Iron Team Is…

The Starrcade 1989 logo is shown then it cuts to footage of Doom 1 and Doom 2 walking off from the ring with Woman and her bodyguard Nitron, as the announcer says that Doom have been counted out and The Steiners win this match. This cuts to footage of Animal pinning Doom 2. Woman is shown looking less than pleased, as we cut again to a shot of Woman and her bodyguard Nitron looking on into the ring where Fatu is pinning Doom 1. The voice of Gordon Solie is now heard over the regular audio as he says that Doom ended the night with zero points. We move along to The Steiners and The Road Warriors, where random moves and holds are shown before ending this part on Scott pinning Animal. The next cut is to The Wild Samoans and The Steiners, where The Steiners get DQed when Rick tosses Fatu over the top rope to the floor. Cut again, this time to the final match of the Tag Team part of the night, as Hawk flies off the top rope with a Flying Clothesline onto Fatu and a 1-2-3 to win the match, and the Tag Team Iron Man series.

OR: 69

Cut back to the studio, where Solie and Caudle turn away from a monitor and back to the cameras.

Solie: Now we have words from the NWA World Tag Team Champions, The Steiner Brothers, regarding the future of their belts.

The Steiner Brothers Have A Bit Of An Attitude

We cut to Rick and Scott Steiner standing before the generic WCW Logo Banner all alone. Rick makes his famous howling/grunting noise, as Scott slaps him on the back and begins to speak for the team.

Scott: Here we are Ricky, the NWA Tag Team Champions, and not a solid team of contenders on the horizon. It’s kind of sad, we beat Doom at Starrcade, we beat The Road Warriors at Starrcade, the only team we didn’t beat were The Wild Samoans, and the NWA Board Of Directors and Championship Committee won’t even give them a title shot. So here we are, Ricky, as I said, and we don’t have anyone to beat up on anymore.

Rick: That is kinda sad, Scotty.

Scott: I know. This is why I have a great idea. Forget the NWA Board Of Directors, their Championship Committee, and their rankings. This Saturday on World Championship Wrestling on TBS we’re going to come out to the ring, bring these belts, and defend them against any team. Any team in the world that shows up, Ricky, who gets in the ring with us, they’ll get a shot at the biggest prize in Tag Team wrestling in the world.

Rick makes his trademark noise again then smiles a big smile.

Scott: Whoever you are, we'll see you Saturday

OR: 66

The scene cuts once more to the studio.

Caudle: That is huge, Gordon, absolutely huge.

Solie: All I can say is that this will be interesting to watch, although I’m going to wait and see if any word comes from Mr. Jim Herd, the NWA Board Of Directors, or the NWA Championship Committee regarding this open challenge The Steiner Brothers have laid out here tonight. Coming up next, we’ll tell you about the Main Event made for Clash Of The Champions X this past week, as well as see Sting in singles competition.

commercials

Sting vs. the Cuban Assassin

Sting’s music hits and he comes to the ring as per usual, lighting up the Fayetteville fans who are happy to see their hero, and one fourth of The Horsemen, here in action tonight. Already in the ring, the Cuban Assassin paces back and forth, a look of supreme confidence on his face. Sting enters the ring, removes his jacket, then hops on the far turnbuckle and OWWW’s to the crowd, who OWWW back at him. As Sting is doing this the Cuban Assassin speeds across the ring and lays an Axe Handle Chop to the lower back of Sting, dropping him to the mat. The Assassin lays boots to Sting’s back as the referee calls for the bell. The fans boo a bit, but only halfheartedly, then settle back for the match. Sting makes his way to his feet, no selling the remainder of the attack, then turns to face the Assassin, who doesn’t seem to get that his time here in control is done.

The Assassin swings a big right, but Sting blocks and Chop’s the Assassin down to size, sending him into the corner. Sting whips him across the ring to the other corner, then runs and flies with a Stinger Splash that crushes the Cuban into the corner. Sting pushes him out face first, OWWW’s for the crowd again, then applies his finisher, the dreaded Scorpion Deathlock. The Cuban Assassin is in the hold for under ten seconds before he is audibly submitting to the pain. Sting releases the hold as the Assassin rolls to the floor and crumples to the mat outside the ring, as Sting smiles and OWWW’s some more to a semi appreciative crowd who saw this result coming from the moment the match began.

WINNER: Sting

WORKRATE: 56

CROWD: 53

OR: 54

Once again we cut back to the studio, where Solie is now alone. Behind him on a monitor is the logo for Clash of The Champions X: Texas Shootout.

Solie: Welcome to the NWA World Championship Wrestling Control Center for Clash Of The Champions X: Texas Shootout, coming to you live on TBS Tuesday February 6 from Corpus Christi, Texas. Tickets are still on sale for some spectacular seats at The Memorial Coliseum. Please contact the ticket office for details. Now, as we mentioned at the top of the show, the Main Event has already been decided and signed. It will be The Four Horsemen meeting Gary Hart’s J-Tex Corporation. This should be a match to end all matches between these two groups who have had their fair share of problems over the last few months. Well, it all comes to a head at Clash Of The Champions X in the most barbaric match in the history of wrestling, a Steel Cage Match. In just a few short moments we will see one member from both groups going one on one as The Great Muta defends his NWA Television Title against The Enforcer of the Horsemen, Arn Anderson, in what I am sure will simply be a prelude to the exciting Cage Match we will see at Clash Of The Champions X: Texas Shootout in just over a month. However, as exciting and big as this news is, it’s just the tip of the iceberg as far as The Clash goes, as we here at The Control Center have learned that this coming Saturday on World Championship Wrestling on TBS Jim Herd will be present to announce a potential major Title Match for The Clash as well. We have no other details as of now, but so far from what we know it looks like the first Clash Of The Champions for 1990 will be a big event. That’s all for now, I am Gordon Solie coming to you LIVE from the NWA World Championship Wrestling Control Center, and we’ll see you again next week.

commercials

NWA Television Title Match: The Great Muta© (with Gary Hart and The Dragonmaster) vs. The Enforcer Arn Anderson

We come back from commercials and go immediately to the arena, where Gary Hart and The Dragonmaster lead The Great Muta, the reigning NWA TV Champion, to the ring. Hart looks a little unhappy as he turns and verbally berates Muta as they walk. Before Muta enters the ring, Hart smacks the rolled up papers in his hand over Muta’s head and almost seems to be yelling something to him. During this The Dragonmaster simply stands back, his arms folded, and watches.

The music of The Four Horsemen hit, and the crowd in Fayetteville erupt with cheers as Arn Anderson walks out, alone, gives the four fingers high, then marches to the ring with a look of determination on his face. Caudle wonders why Arn would come out alone, since we all know Sting is in the arena, and presumably the rest of The Horsemen are as well, but Solie reminds him that The Four Horsemen never travel alone and where one is you are sure to find more. Arn keeps a wary eye on The Dragonmaster and Hart as he slowly climbs in the ring and walks right up to Muta, getting nose to nose with him. Referee Tommy Young holds the TV Title high in the air, then hands it to a ring attendant, who carries it over to the official Time Keeper, who rings the bell.

As Arn says something to Muta, the two still face to face, Solie reminds the fans of the NWA and WCW that all Television Title Matches have a ten minute time limit. Muta then unexpectedly slaps Arn across the face as the fans boo. Arn rubs his jaw, spits onto the mat, then lays into Muta with lefts to the temple that sends Muta staggering backwards towards the ropes. Arn Irish Whips Muta across the ring and comes off the opposite rope with a hard Lariat that sends Muta to the canvas. AA walks around for a few seconds, seemingly not noticing the fans in attendance who are cheering him on, then pulls Muta to his feet, where Arn once again lays closed fists to the temples of Muta. Referee Tommy Young admonishes Arn on the closed fist, but Arn pays no heed as he nails Muta once more, then whips him into the ropes again, this time catching him and delivering the patented Spinebuster that he is famous for. The crowd goes nuts as Arn hooks the leg while Gary Hart is livid on the floor, screaming. Muta kicks out at two and three quarters, barely missing being pinned and losing his title. Arn shakes his head as he sits on his knee, and then slowly climbs to his feet.

On the floor Hart can be seen whispering something to Dragonmaster, who stands by shaking his head in agreement. At this time as well, as Arn is working on the lower back of Muta, Bob Caudle announces that the match has reached the five minute mark. Arn Irish Whips Muta to the ropes again but this time he simply catches him and holds in the air with a slightly a modified Bear Hug. Muta is obviously in pain, but he holds on, not answering Referee Tommy Young who is right there to ask if he wants to quit. Hart looks worried, then throws his papers on the ground, which is apparently the signal The Dragonmaster was waiting for, as he rushes under the ropes and nails AA with a boot to the kidneys. Referee Tommy Young looks perplexed, then angry, as he calls for the bell and the immediate DQ of Muta.

Hart enters the ring and screams at Dragonmaster, who applies a Dragon Sleeper on Arn on the canvas. The fans are going nuts, booing, chanting for The Horsemen, Flair, and Sting, all the while Hart is pointing to Dragonmaster and yelling at Muta. Muta gets to his feet, noticeably holding his back, and he motions for Dragonmaster to pull Arn up. Dragon releases the hold on the nearly out AA then hoists him up in the air. Muta raises his hands to his throat, as the fans explode again, this time for Ole Anderson who comes running down the aisle, a steel chair in hand. Gary Hart bails from the ring quickly as Ole enters with the chair. Dragon drops Arn to the mat and Muta spits the red mist at Ole, who uses the chair to block the spray, much to the fans delight. Ole then swings the chair at Muta, who bails from the ring. Dragon kicks the chair into Ole’s head, and he drops the chair and falls to one knee, which allows Muta to return to the ring, size up Ole, and deliver a killer looking kick to the head of Ole. Ole falls down hard onto the mat next to Arn, as Hart claps and roars his approval before calling his men from the ring.

The crowd boos as The J-Tex Corporation members walk towards the back, Gary Hart now very pleased with both of his charges, while the camera goes to the fallen Horsemen inside the ring. Arn is crawling towards the downed Ole, and his words can be heard as Solie and Caudle sign off and the trademark and indicia’s of the NWA and WCW pop into the corner of the screen.

Arn: Where’s Sting? Ole, where’s Sting at?

WINNER: The Enforcer Arn Anderson by DQ

WORKRATE: 83

CROWD: 90

OR: 87

OR: 73

Television Rating: 0.05

Fayetteville, NC Attendance: 3510

Edited by thegarvincomplex

Syndication is my friend... Allows me to catch up on the new year's new direction for WCW...

The Flamingo Brothers... Scott and... Scotty. Ooookay. Fun little debut, and I like the foreshadowing setting up a revitalized tag team division in the new year. Nothing bad about that.

Didn't much care for The Steiners calling out the challengers, but that DOES make them picture-perfect fighting champions. We'll see if it comes back to bite them in the ass.

Sting's squash was perfect, and the 53 Crowd Rating is of course due to The Cuban Assassin's weakness. :(

The main event was class, and a real treat. Ole's failed save was a particularly marktastic moment. I'm sure we'll get a rematch in short order, but Arn's question was a great note to end the show on. This being syndication, tho, I'm sure we'll get more of this set-up before it heats up too much.

In all, a short and sweet show. Definitely looking forward to more. :thumbsup:

For TRS, your show was a good start. It set down the groundwork for the teams and their history. The LarryLand segment was great, but I personally can't see a Zbyszko promo without him mentioning something about the human game of chess. I still highly enjoyed it though.

For TGC, I am already hooked and can't wait to find out what is going on with Sting. Also, how did you get a .03 rating? Seems like WCW could manage a better tv spot then a place where they would get a .03 rating.

For ACS, fabulous backstory, by far the best :shifty:

Of course this is all good, you guys knew that.

I'm just pointing out that, unless memory fails me, Muta wasn't using the Shining Wizard back then. He still had only the moonsault and the mist. Then again, you could just be debuting it about ten years before it was ever brought out. In that case, then go right ahead.

Great show TGC.

I'm interested to see where The Horsemen will go from here. I agree with Arn, where was Sting? He should have been out there to help out his buddies. I smell a stable heel turn, much like what actually happened in real life. Hopefully this time Sting won't blow his knee out!

I like you spicing up the tag division. Scott Hall and Scotty Flamingo make an interesting combination, but with there Miami tastes they instantly have me as a fan. I hope they get the US Tag Titles once they come back, even if they lost to Pillman and Z-Man.

Great effort, I'm looking forward to World Championship Wrestling.

WWF Primetime Wrestling January 1st 1990

Gorilla Monsoon and Bobby “The Brain” Heenan are your announce team with contributions from Lord Alfred Hayes, Sean Mooney, Jesse Ventura, and Vince McMahon

We start the show off this week immediately with a match. Bad News Brown is in the ring and he raises his fist in the air to some disapproval from the crowd. The disdain changes to applause as the familiar Boat Whistle fills the arena and out comes Tugboat.

Mooney: Well Lord Alfred we should be in for a great match. Here comes the massive superstar Tugboat.

Hayes: Yes here comes the Tugboat. He looks very ready for battle Sean.

Tugboat vs. Bad News Brown

Tugboat climbs into the ring and Brown ambushes him with a series of forearms. Tugboat goes down to one knee as Brown continues the attack.

Hayes: Look at Bad News Sean he is not at all afraid of this big man.

Mooney: I don’t think Bad New Brown is afraid of anyone Lord Alfred, but Tugboat is no average man.

Bad News lets Tugboat get to his feet and makes the mistake of trying to go for a body slam. Tugboat’s feet don’t even come off of the mat and Brown comes away holding his back and in a large amount of pain. Tugboat shows him how it’s done and body slams Brown down to the mat. Brown gets back up and Tugboat clotheslines him back down to the mat. Brown rolls to the outside to regain his composure.

Mooney: It looks like Bad News needs a little break your Lordship.

Hayes: Brown is a master tactician Sean and he knows his strategy here.

Tugboat turns his back and plays to the fans much to their delight. This allows Brown to sneak in and charge at Tugboat! Tugboat is ready for the attack and catches him with a POWERSLAM! Tugboat bounces off the ropes and hits the BIG SPLASH! 1…2…3!

Hayes: Well it appears that strategy was not quite effective.

Mooney: Certainly not Alfred. A big win here by the big sailor Tugboat!

Rating: 57/56/59

We go to the studio with Gorilla and Bobby sitting behind the big primetime desk with the video monitor on the wall between them. The studio is decorated with confetti and streamers. Gorilla looks ready for the broadcast, but Bobby is slumped on the desk with a cardboard party hat on.

Monsoon: Hello everyone and welcome to Primetime Wrestling. Happy New Year to everyone out there and Brain… Bobby it’s time for the show.

Heenan: Leave me alone Monsoon. You handle it.

Monsoon: It’s too late for that Brain we are already on the air. Look at yourself. Were you out all night?

Heenan: (sitting up) I’ll have you know that The Heenan Family and I were invited to The Million Dollar Man’s Florida estate for a huge New Year’s party. And when you party with Mr. Dibiase it’s all top notch.

Monsoon: You were out all night and we’ve got a job to do!

Heenan: (plugs his ears) Keep it down Monsoon my head is pounding.

Monsoon: Speaking of head pounding let’s take you to a match involving The Powers of Pain. Do you want some Coffee Bobby?

The Powers of Pain with Mr. Fuji vs. The Young Stallions

Both teams are already in the ring for this one. The Young Stallions are jumping up and down hyping themselves up as Fuji talks over strategy with his men.

Mooney: We have got quite a mismatch here Alfred. The Young Stallions are both out weighed and underpowered in this one.

Hayes: Yes I agree Sean, but they are much quicker. However The Warlord and Barbarian have Mr. Fuji in their corner and he can out smart any man in wrestling.

Warlord starts the match off against Jim Powers. Powers fires off a series of very ineffective punches and connects with an equally worthless dropkick. Warlord just roars at him and nearly turns the poor kid inside out with a clothesline. Warlord continues the punishment with a series of stomps before picking him up and slamming him right back down to the mat. Warlord drops and elbow and then quickly follows up with another one. Warlord picks his opponent up and hits a press slam! He makes the tag and Barbarian comes into the match. Barbarian pounds away on Powers for a bit and then tosses him into his corner. He pounds his chest and points at Roma.

Mooney: I don’t know if this was such a good idea. They had Powers under control and now he wants Paul Roma in the ring?

Hayes: Mr. Fuji trains his men to be very tough Sean. The Barbarian just wants a challenge. Let us see if Paul Roma can give it to him.

Roma makes the tag and enters the ring. He charges at Barbarian and slides between his legs. He comes up behind the big man and hits a dropkick! Barbarian stumbles forward and Roma is quickly back up. Barbarian turns around and gets hit with another dropkick. Roma goes for an Irish Whip, but Barbarian reverses and sends Roma in. He ducks his head and Roma leapfrogs over. Roma bounces off the opposite side and comes back at Barbarian. Barbarian turns around to meet him and Roma eats a BIG BOOT! Barbarian whips him into the corner and hits a running avalanche before tagging back in the Warlord. Warlord picks up the prone Roma and puts him on his shoulders as Barbarian climbs the turnbuckles.

Hayes: Here comes their finishing move Sean. No one has escaped this move.

Barbarian hits a FLYING SHOULDERBLOCK! This knocks Roma off of The Warlord’s shoulders and he lands head first on the mat. Warlord covers as Barbarian knocks Powers off of the apron. 1…2…3!

Hayes: These two men are looking unstoppable. Demolition may very well have a run for their money when they finally meet up.

Mooney: I’ll be looking forward to that one Alfred, but for now The Powers of Pain can celebrate another victory.

Rating: 54/55/53

Back in the studio and Bobby is looking a little more with it now. This could be explained by the WWF coffee mug that is now sitting next to him.

Heenan: Monsoon those two are going to give Demolition a run for their money.

Monsoon: Well what about your men Brain? Do you think the Colossal Connection can keep the belts against them?

Heenan: Well obviously Monsoon. I mean they aren’t THAT great.

Monsoon: Oh? Well maybe I’ll have to pass that message onto the devious one.

Heenan: (back pedaling) No need for that Gorilla. Fuji is busy he doesn’t need you bothering him with stuff like this.

Monsoon: (chuckling) I’ll bet. We need to step out for some commercial, but when we come back it will be for one of our two feature bouts of the night. The Barber will be taking on The Canadian Strongman Dino Bravo.

A Poem from The Genius

We come back from commercial with The Genius standing in the interview studio. He is dressed in a powder blue cap and gown and his logo is displayed behind him.

Genius:

Greetings from The Genius,

a mind without compare.

With finely sculpted muscles,

and long, lustrous hair

I am the smartest man in wrestling;

my wit is world-renowned.

Despite your constant heckling,

a Champion I shall be crowned.

Question my credentials and

I’ll deem you all insane.

I’m stronger than The Hulkster

and smarter than The Brain.

I’m ever kind and humble,

but please make no mistake;

at the Royal Rumble

I shall destroy The Barber Beefcake.

Rating: 77%

Brutus “The Barber” Beefcake vs. Dino Bravo with Jimmy Hart

Dino Bravo is standing in the ring getting some last minute instructions from Jimmy Hart. The arena fills with some familiar music and out comes The Barber! The crowd cheers as he proudly displays his big shears and makes his way down the aisle.

Monsoon: Listen to them cheer for The Barber! They are really behind him Brain.

Heenan: The humanoids sure love this guy that’s for sure. I don’t see why.

Monsoon: I think the fans really like his style Bobby.

Heenan: Style? It looks like a grenade went off in his closet!

Beefcake climbs into the ring and Bravo attacks while he is playing to the crowd. Bravo hammers away with forearms knocking Beefcake down to the mat. Bravo kicks him causing him to spill out to the floor and then does a bicep pose for the unappreciative crowd. Beefcake stumbles to his feet and quickly rolls back into the ring. Bravo tries to continue his punishment, but Beefcake fires back with a right hand. Two more stagger Bravo and Brutus whips him off the ropes and puts him in the SLEEPER HOLD!

Monsoon: The Barber is going to put him out in a hurry here Brain.

Heenan: Way too early Monsoon.

They call him The Brain for a reason. Bravo backpedals and rams Beefcake into the corner to break the hold. Bravo hits a series of closed fists and then slams Beefcake to the canvas. He drops an elbow and goes for the cover 1…2…KICKOUT! Bravo grabs a side headlock and begins wearing down The Barber.

Heenan: It doesn’t even look like Beefcake is going to make it to The Royal Rumble. His head is going to pop like a grape!

Bravo works the headlock for nearly three minutes before Beefcake rolls him over onto his shoulders. 1…2…SHOULDER UP! Bravo keeps the hold clamped on and Beefcake rolls him back over again 1…2…SHOULDER UP! Bravo breaks the hold and gets to his feet. He tries another elbow drop, but Beefcake rolls out of the way. Up to his feet and Bravo goes for a right hand, but The Barber blocks and comes back with one of his own. Jimmy Hart is screaming through the megaphone, but Beefcake is in full control. A series of punches and then Bravo is whipped into the ropes. Beefcake goes for a clothesline, but Bravo blocks and comes off of the other side. Beefcake catches him with a flying knee taking him down. Beefcake signals that it’s time for a little nap for Bravo.

Monsoon: Looks like the beginning of the end for The Canadian Strongman!

Bravo stumbles to his feet and Beefcake catches him with an Atomic Drop! Bravo staggers into the ropes and falls back into the SLEEPER HOLD! Bravo flails for air as Jimmy Hart jumps up on the apron. The referee tries to get him down as Brutus keeps the hold locked on. Finally Beefcake relinquishes the hold and hits Hart with a big right hand! Bravo is up and rolls him up in a schoolboy. He has the tights! 1…2…KICKOUT! Back to their feet and Beefcake gets a small package 1…2…3!

Monsoon: He got him! What a big win for The Barber.

Heenan: He won’t be that lucky against The Genius!

Rating: 66/68/64

Hacksaw Jim Duggan vs. Tim Hall

We go straight from that match to our next contest as both Duggan and Tim Hall are in the ring. Hall keeps playing to the crowd instead of looking at Duggan.

Mooney: I don’t think Tim Hall should be ignoring his opponent Lord Alfred.

Hayes: No Sean you do not turn your back on a man the stature of Hacksaw.

Duggan gets down in his Three Point Stance and when the bell rings Hall turns around and gets clobbered with a RUNNING CLOTHESLINE! Hacksaw drops a knee and makes the cover 1…2…3!

The show goes to commercial.

Rating: 44/42/47

We come back to the studio and Bobby is now surrounded by all the new WWF Action figures. He is situating them on the table as Gorilla interrupts.

Monsoon: What are you doing? Were back on the air. Get yourself together.

Heenan: These toys are really great Monsoon. And don’t act like you weren’t still stuffing hot dogs down your throat as we were coming back.

Monsoon: I was not! Let’s get focused back on the great action we’ve got going tonight. We just saw an impressive win before the break by Brutus “The Barber” Beefcake.

Heenan: He got lucky tonight and he wont be lucky against a man as smart as The Genius. (he picks up the Brutus figure and positions it near the end of the table) I have a feeling at The Royal Rumble old Brutus is in for a great fall. (Bobby presses down on the figures back causing it to “jump” over the edge)

Monsoon: Give me a break. Let’s take you to the feature match of the night with our colleagues Jesse Ventura and Vince McMahon.

Big Bossman with Slick vs. Dusty Rhodes with Sapphire

“Jive soul bro” begins playing and Slick makes his way into the arena leading his man down to the ring. Bossman threatens members of the audience with his nightstick on his way down the aisle.

McMahon: Vince McMahon alongside Jesse Ventura and look at The Bossman disrespecting these fine fans Jesse it’s just ludicrous.

Ventura: He’s just trying to keep these people in line McMahon. We need more people like The Bossman around here. I for one am glad that Slick brought him here to the WWF.

McMahon: I should have expected that sort of response from you Jesse.

Ventura: Hey I tell it how it is. Hey look at The Slickster dance! He can really move.

In the ring Slick is dancing to his fine entrance tune until the music abruptly changes. AMMMMMMMMMEEEEEERRRRICAAAAN DREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAM! The crowd cheers as the common man himself makes his way out accompanied by Sweet Sapphire. They slap hands with the crowd and are all smiles as they make their way down to the ring. The Bossman looks on with disdain as the polka dotted duo make their way up the steps into the ring.

Ventura: Dusty better watch out because with those big hips Sapphire might just knock him right off the apron.

McMahon: Jesse be serious!

The bell quickly rings and the two massive athletes walk out to the center of the ring and face off. The Bossman looks deadly serious, but Rhodes has a goofy smile on his face. Bossman says something to Rhodes and for some reason Dusty begins jiving and getting funkay like a munkay if you wiiiiiillllll. Bossman shakes his head and stomps the mat as the fans cheer The Dream’s crazy antics. We see a shot of Sapphire and she approves as well and decides it’s time to shake her booty.

Ventura: This is ridiculous.

Bossman has seen enough and goes for a right hand, which is blocked by Rhodes. Dusty comes back with one of his own. One more and the Bossman is staggered. Dusty twirls his arms and unleashes an ATOMIC ELBOW! Bossman falls to one knee, but is quickly back up so The Dream puts some stank on it and unloads with the ATOMIC ELBOW WITH EXTRA STANK! This of course sends Bossman flying through the ropes and out to the floor.

McMahon: What power by Dusty Rhodes! What power!

Slick tends to his man on the floor as Dusty plays to the crowd. Bossman finally gets to his feet and makes it in just in time to beat the count. He shakes out the cobwebs and calls for Rhodes to meet him in a test of strength. Dusty looks to the fans and they cheer him on so he makes his way to the middle and they lock up with one arm. Rhodes holds up his other arm, but Bossman kicks him in the gut instead. He quickly follows that up with a body slam and an elbow drop! Cover 1…2…KICK OUT! Bossman grabs a rear chinlock and clamps it on tight.

Ventura: Good strategy here by the Bossman. He can catch his breath and he’s still wearing this big idiot down.

McMahon: All your weight is being carried by your opponent in this hold and you have to expel zero energy.

Ventura: Now didn’t I just say that McMahon?

The announcers continue to argue as Rhodes is getting the life drained out of him in the Bossman’s mighty grip. Rhodes finally makes it to his feet and plants an elbow to the stomach to break the hold. Rhodes pounds away with a series of punches before planting the Bossman with a scoop slam. Rhodes bounces off the ropes to drop the big elbow, but Bossman rolls out of the way! On the outside Slick is approaching Sapphire and putting the moves on her. Bossman is up and waiting for Rhodes. He kicks him in the stomach and hooks him up for a suplex. Dusty blocks with his foot and Bossman attempts it one more time. Dusty blocks again and this time he takes Bossman over with the suplex!

McMahon: What a maneuver! Go on and get the pin Dusty! He’s gonna get the pin! Oh what is this?

Rhodes has spotted Slick gyrating around Sapphire and goes over to the ropes to yell at him. The referee comes over to admonish Slick as well and as all this is taking place Bossman crawls over and grabs his nightstick. Rhodes turns around and catches a shot right between the eyes! Bossman tosses the evidence just as the referee turns back around!

McMahon: No! Come on referee!

Rhodes collapses to the canvas and Bossman hooks the leg for the 1…2…3! Bossman quickly slides out of the ring and celebrates with his manager.

McMahon: What a travesty of justice in this one Jesse Ventura!

Ventura: It’s only cheating if you get caught.

Rating: 62/70/46

Back to the studio and Heenan looks really pleased.

Heenan: He sure dimmed The Common Jerk’s headlights eh Monsoon?

Monsoon: You’re really pleased with this aren’t you?

Heenan: Ha Ha! Anyone who is proud to be an average Ham an Egger deserves whatever he gets. Oh what are you disappointed? Does it bother you that he got socked right on his big schnozz?

Monsoon: I’m about to sock you if you don’t cut it out. Let’s go back to the arena as the massive Earthquake is ready for action.

Heenan: You wouldn’t hit a man with glasses with you? (Bobby fumbles around knocking papers over) Where the heck are my glasses?!?

Earthquake vs. Chris Walker

Both men are already in the ring. Walker looks very apprehensive to be in this match up as the Earthquake hops up and down shaking the ring. The bell rings and Walker actually tries to run away, but gets caught up in the ring ropes allowing Quake to grab him by the tights and pull him into the ring. Quake clubs him down to the mat and there is no escape now.

Ventura: Poor kid never had a chance.

McMahon: No one has put up much of a fight against this massive behemoth yet Jesse.

Earthquake pounds him for another minute or so and then realizing he is not getting paid by the hour slams him down in the center of the ring. He begins jumping up and down and bounces off the ropes before crushing Walker with the AFTERSHOCK! 1…2…3!

McMahon: There you have it. Another impressive victory for Earthquake!

The show goes to commercial break.

Rating: 51/46/56

Monsoon: And now for my least favorite part of our broadcasts. It’s time once again for…

Heenan: The Brother Love Show! Take a look humanoids you’re sure to enjoy it.

The Brother Love Show: Tonight’s Guest: Rugged Ronnie Garvin

The Brother Love theme begins playing as we slowly zoom in on Brother Love standing behind the podium on his bright Pink set.

Love: Greeting Brothers and Sisters and welcome to another edition of the Brother Love Show. Before I bring out tonight’s guest I just need to say one thing. (the camera zooms in) I LOOOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVVEEE YOOOUUUUUUUU!!!!!! I really do. I love each and every one of you because that’s just the type of person I am. Unlike my guest tonight. My guest has no love in his heart. He is not a kind and loving man. He is a Rugged man. Say hello to Brother Rugged Ronald!

Garvin makes his way out from behind the set looking a nice mix of embarrassed and annoyed.

Love: Brother Ronald I just have one question for you. Why do you have to be so mean?

Garvin: Brother you have to be mean to get as far as I’ve gotten in this business. And Greg Valentine is going to see just how mean I can be at The Royal Rumble in the I Quit match.

Love: (smugly) Oh is that so? Well I heard…

Jimmy Hart sprints out from the back and interrupts.

Hart: I apologize for crashing your show Brother Love, but I just had to confront this man here. I hope you’re happy with yourself Garvin! That little sneak attack you pulled on The Hammer in Syracuse really paid off. He won’t be able to make it to the Royal Rumble now. I don’t even know when he’ll be back in action.

Garvin: This is a trick right Hart? Or has Valentine turned coward? (Garvin takes a step forward)

The crowd begins making noise as sneaking up behind Garvin is THE HONKY TONK MAN! Honky has a guitar and is ready to swing.

Hart: The Hammer is no coward. And don’t worry. You’ve got a match baby!

Hart points over Garvin’s shoulder and like a moron Ronnie turns right around into a GUITAR SHOT! Ronnie’s head is stuck in the guitar so Honky just lets go as both the guitar and Garvin fall to the ground.

Hart: At the Royal Rumble Honky is going to play one of his greatest hits on you Garvin! The I Quit match is still on. Let’s go Honky baby!

Love: Wonderful! Just wonderful!

Rating: 67%

The Rockers vs. Bob Bradley and Reno Riggins

We go quickly from the Brother Love show to our next match. Bradley and Riggins are in the ring and The Rockers theme tune hits and they sprint down the aisle. Their opponents try to attack, but The Rockers slide in between their legs. They connect with a series of right hands to their opponents. Stereo Dropkicks! Riggins falls to the outside leaving Bradley alone with both Rockers. The stereo offense continues with Double Superkicks, a Double Hip Toss and then Double Elbow Drops! They look to opposite corners and begin to climb.

Heenan: They will never be able to hit him from there.

The Brain is wrong as The Rockers fly and connect with the DOUBLE FIST DROP! Cover by Michaels 1…2…3!

Rating: 51/44/58

Monsoon: An impressive win by those young fun loving Rockers! What do you have to say about that Brain?

Heenan: They are no match for my men and that’s all that matters.

Monsoon: Perhaps someday we’ll see about that, but for now we’ll take you to Mean Gene in The Royal Rumble Control Center.

The Royal Rumble Control Center with Mean Gene Okerlund

Some cheesy music plays with a Royal Rumble graphic on the screen and then the Graphic dissolves into a shot of Mean Gene sitting in a newsroom.

Gene: Hello everyone and welcome to The Royal Rumble Control Center. The show is in just 13 days and my friends tickets are sold out. So the only way to see this happening is on Pay Per View! Let’s run down the card.

A graphic flashes up on the screen showing The Genius and Brutus “The Barber” Beefcake.

Gene: This one should be a real barnburner. The Genius thinks he is above everyone here in the WWF and Brutus wants to cut him back down to size!

The graphic changes to The Bushwhackers and The Rougeau Brothers.

Gene: These two teams have had issues for quite some time and it’s all going to come to a head in 13 days. Can The Bushwhackers overcome the wily Rougeaus?

Next up is Hacksaw Jim Duggan vs. Dino Bravo.

Gene: This match up was just added this weekend and it should be a power display to say the least. Can the All American Hacksaw overcome The Canadian Strongman?

A graphic comes up with Ronnie Garvin and a big question mark next to him.

Gene: And as we just found out it will be The Honky Tonk Man facing Ronnie Garvin in the submission match. Garvin is going to want revenge after that attack on The Brother Love show. We’ll have to wait and see if he gets it.

The Final Graphic is just The Royal Rumble logo again.

Gene: And finally the main event. The 30 man over the top rope Royal Rumble. This is the match everyone will be waiting to see. Anything can happen in this one there are no friends in this one. Every man for himself! Here is a list of everyone involved in this match up.

The Rockers

The Hart Foundation

Akeem

The Big Bossman

Bad News Brown

Barry Horowitz

The Brooklyn Brawler

Mr. Perfect

Tugboat

THE ULTIMATE WARRIOR

Demolition

The Powers of Pain

ROWDY RODDY PIPER

Dusty Rhodes

Jimmy Snuka

ANDRE THE GIANT

Haku

The Million Dollar Man Ted Dibiase

MACHO MAN RANDY SAVAGE

Jake “The Snake” Roberts

Koko B Ware

Tito Santana

Red Rooster

EARTHQUAKE

The Mighty Hercules

And…

World Wrestling Federation Champion HULK HOGAN!

Gene: That is quite the field of competitors. We will have comments from some of them next week as well as some of the other competitor on the big broadcast next week. We’ll see you then!

Rating: 84%

Monsoon: The Royal Rumble is sure shaping up to be a real blockbuster Brain.

Heenan: The WWF always goes top notch when it comes to the pay per views. And since were on the subject it’s going to be great when one of my men in the Heenan Family wins The Royal Rumble match.

Monsoon: Brain the Heenan family is pretty sparse now a days. Don’t you only have two guys left?

Heenan: It only takes two Monsoon. Especially when those two are the tag team champions.

Monsoon: I can’t argue with that Bobby. Fans be sure to tune in next week as we have a rare treat. The Hulkster will be in action! (Bobby makes a gagging motion) You think there is anything better than watching the champion in action?

Heenan: I do and lets go to it right now. (nothing happens) Let’s go to it right now… (nothing happens and Bobby looks flustered) Play the match dummies!

Monsoon: (chuckling) We’ll see you next week.

The Colossal Connection vs. Barry Hardy and Duane Gill: WWF Tag Team Titles

Both teams are in the ring and Hardy and Gill look to not even equal The Giant in weight let alone Haku. Andre goes to the apron as Haku calls out the opponents. Gill charges in and gets caught with a stiff kick. Haku dominates Gill with a series of martial arts moves as Andre leans against the turnbuckle casually and watches his partner work.

Hayes: Sean it looks like The big giant is confident that Haku can do the work here tonight.

Mooney: With a partner like Haku he can afford to be confident. Haku is easily man handling his opponents.

Haku continues the onslaught even when Gill manages to make a tag. The camera pans over to Andre in the corner, but quickly pans away when it appears Andre is asleep. This match could easily put anyone to sleep however as it’s nothing more than Haku chopping and kicking the crap out of his two poor opponents. The match finally ends with Haku slamming Gill to the mat and flying off with a head butt for the 1…2…3!

Mooney: Another impressive win by the Tag Team Champions. For Lord Alfred Hayes I’m Sean Mooney and we’ll see you next week.

Rating: 47/46/48

Overall Card Rating: 59%

T.V. Rating: 5.47

A new year for Srarry to play with is like learning that we get to celebrate X-Mas twice a year now. Let's see what 1990 WWF is looking like.

I loved the overall show as a whole. It was realistic for the period, meaning mainly SQUASHES! with a few "featured matches" as Monsoon would say. While the winners of the "featured matches" was never in any real doubt, you simply can't go wrong in terms of getting the fans hyped by seeing Dusty take on The Bossman and seeing the WWF Tag Team Champs in action. Quality matches all around, even if they weren't all flippy floppy crazy action style.

As perhaps the ONLY Ron Garvin mark on this entire board, a fact and a honor I hold in high regard, I was pleased to see that he will still be a part of The Royal Rumble. However, while I have no problem with Jimmy Hart and Honky making Garvin their bitch, I do have a problem with

Hart points over Garvin’s shoulder and like a moron Ronnie turns right around into a GUITAR SHOT! Ronnie’s head is stuck in the guitar so Honky just lets go as both the guitar and Garvin fall to the ground.

Boooooo and hissssssssssssss at calling a great wrassler like Garvin a moron. If I were grading this that would cost you dearly.

As I said, I loved the show overall. Your Genius, Monsoon, Brain, McMahon, and Jesse were spot on as per usual. I laughed out loud on more than one occassion over the commentary.

Good job srarry, and I look forward to more.

TGC

Something tells me that that was just for you, TGC. I'm surprised ACS didn't throw in a :P just for good measure.

I, too, enjoyed the Genius poem...and I know that it's not really kind to make fun of the afflicted (which Andre was by this time), but I nearly fell out of my chair laughing when the camera caught Andre sleeping on the apron. Some solid matches lined up for the Rumble, but I'd rather see Garvin/Valentine than Garvin/Honky any day of the week.

I'll edit this to incorporate TGC and Ray's shows after I get home from work. You've got an excellent start going here.

Good job to ACS and TGC for their shows...Ray's show was also good but I wasn't really interested. I'm really reading to see WCW/WWF so I'm happy with the job ACS and TGC did. The shows have been well written and realisticly booked.

Keep It Up All.

ACS is a liar... a FIBBER... because she said I'd hate her show.

She couldn't be more wrong.

Of course, as per usual, the highlights for me were the LOL commentary, especially the exchanges between Gorilla and The Brain which I recall from my youth with everlasting fondness. Great stuff.

Looking at the matches, I liked the characterization of Tugboat as a Big Friendly Giant and loveable rube. Here's hoping you don't go the historical route and turn him heel before you can get your full $$'s worth out of the silly ass Popeye gimmick.

I used to like The Young Stallions back in the day, but they were glorified enhancement talent, so seeing The Powers of Pain just toy with them isn't a big surprise. I imagine Demolition will be putting them in their place when they collide, especially with the tag straps on Andre & Haku.

Beefcake vs. Bravo was better than it had any right to be, and the sleeperhold teases were well done. Nice finish to this one even tho I loathe Beefcake under any gimmick. I'm hoping The Genius outsmarts him at The Rumble, but I'm somewhat worried that the stanza about "long, lustrous hair" might be a little more important than it would appear at first glance...

Duggan running a jobber over is never very offensive, especially when the "Hoooo!"-ing is kept to a minimum. Bravo getting put away by Beefcake doesn't really do much for his chances against Duggan, but then again Dino doesn't exactly have to be The Genius to outwit "Hacksaw."

The write-up for Dusty vs. Bossman was amusing as hell, even if the resulting match would've been less so. I don't quite know what the deal with Slick and Sapphire was, but I don't know if I'm willing to chalk it up to pointless nonsense just yet. And, much like garlic, you can never have too much STANK.

Unlike Duggan's squash, Earthquake's WAS mildly offensive in the dull department, but mostly because I don't quite know yet where you're headed with him. Good job establishing his rather unchallenged run thus far. I'm fairly certain that's about to change and a face will step up to become his first major obstacle.

We go from bad to worse with The Brother Love Show. Man, I don't know what's worse, listening to Brother Love talk or Ron Garvin. Still, your Garvin was pretty spot-on, and I have to laugh at the mental image of him standing there for a split second with a guitar wrapped around his mug before falling unconscious. I'm going to make TGC hate me and root for Honky, who I've always had an inexplicable soft spot for. Must be the total ludicrousness of the gimmick.

You're right. I pretty much described The Rockers match before reading it. That being said, it was a great showcase for their style of the era. I'm curious what you do with them as well, since the WWF route is very well known but clearly not the only way you can go with them. Color me very curious.

The Royal Rumble Event Center was clear and concise. Strange that I have to wrap my brain around the notion that this was before the automatic title shot era, but there still seems to be little purpose to the Rumble itself other than to be a big showcase of talent and an opportunity to start feuds and break alliances. I'll be interested to see what you do with it, especially with some big names in there like Andre, Piper, Warrior, Macho, and Hogan. Seems to me like you might start paving the Road to Wrestlemania...

Our main event, as it was, was a real snoozer, but of course you knew that. I don't know how much longevity Andre has left in him, but I'm hoping we get to see him ride off into the sunset with at least a shred of dignity.

In all, it was a lot of fun to read, much more than you let on, and I hope it was enough fun to write that we'll see more soon. Thanks!

Edited by TheRaySays

You know with this diary, we actually get three retro diaries sorely needed by this board. It's obvious that you guys have studied tapes of the promotions during this time because you've got the AWA, NWA, and WWF down pat.

TRS's AWA

I'd be lying if I said that I'd ever seen an AWA show in my life. I haven't. The closest thing would be the highlights from it on that ESPN Cheap Seat's show. But I have to say that I loved your All Star Wrestling show. Your utilization of pictures definitely helped myself and I'm sure many others in having a better understanding of the product. I'm still trying to figure out where you got those screencaps from.

I've read the TCS in wrestlecrap but I like how your going forward with it because it gives a lot of the wrestlers something to do and gives you some direction.

I liked the Putski squash and how Ivan Putski was used. But everytime i see the Polish Hammer now, I think of Chris Masters. Thankyou WWE.

Larry Land was probably the best part of the show. Zbyszko is a guy who I really like because he did retire Sammartino and Bockwinkle which helped him so much in becoming a mega heel. Him and Sarge are really the only main event worthy guys in the company and it's good to see you building up Nikita Koloff so that Larry has credible challengers. I expect him to go over Ox Baker before moving on up.

I felt like the Lumberjack Match should've been the main event but it's a small gripe.

Overall, you took all the crap that was AWA in 1990 and made it entertaining in one show. It's still has a long way to go before returning to glory but was a promising start.

TGC's NWA

I like the J-Tex Corporation vs. 4 Horsemen feud in TGC's NWA. I had forgotten that the Horsemen were faces. Who is the 4th member of J-Tex? I know Dragonmaster and Muta were as well as Terry Funk even though he wasn't mentioned but who was the 4th? Enjoyed the Muta/Anderson match because I never recall them facing each other so it was fresh battle. Muta was really underutilized by the NWA and should've been in the World Title picture. I have a feeling after reading your BS that you will use him well. But still, it's not easy to buy the Horsemen as faces. And it's not easy to buy Sting as a Horsemen even though both things really happened.

Didn't like the Scotty the Stud and Scotty the Body team. I think having both partners of a team with the same 1st name could be confusing and it would be easier to just call them the Body and the Stud.

Nice to see the Steiners portrayed as fighting champions because it puts more emphasis on the Tag Straps. I personally would like to see them feud with the Road Warriors because it's a feud that was never really tapped into. They did have the Starrcade match and WCW did some matches with them in 96 but it was never really taken advantage of. I mean the Road Warriors were the team of the 80's and Steiners started out as the team of the 90's so it just seemed like such a natural feud. Looking forward to whoever answers their challenge.

ACS's WWF

Very realistic first show. Mucho squash matches isn't a bad thing, it's a good thing. Many diary writers often forget that Crash TV didn't come into play until really 1997. I didn't think your WWF would be as good as your WCW but I was pleasantly surprised.

My favorite part of the show was the Bossman/Dusty match. Bossman was always better as a heel and you portrayed him exactly as he was during this time. Dusty Rhodes wasn't used well at all in the WWF. But I've watched the tapes and even with the stupid Polka Dots he got huge pops up North. I liked the beatdown.

So it was Valentine who your were talking about in the Vault. Well I think that HTM is a more than suitable replacement. I think that I could enjoy any feud involving Honky because that's how great of a heel he was. And TGC, your not the only Garvin mark. I've said it before and will repeat it here, the Garvin Stomp was years ahead of it's time.

You put in a control center segment, that's realism. Very few writers would do that. But it really adds to the show in my opinion.

Heenan/Monsoon were down to a T, as were all the show's commentators for that matter.

And lastly no Hogan. Another realistic move. He was the star of the promotion but when you look back he rarely appeared on TV. I can remember him doing Brother Love segments but I can't think of a single TV match he had before 1995.

-----------------------------------------

:thumbsup: Thumbs Up to all three writers and their respective shows. I'll say it again, three great retro diaries for the price of one. Possibly a fourth pending syco's show. My new favorite diary of the dome. :D

WWF Wrestling Challenge January 6th 1990

Gorilla Monsoon and Bobby “The Brain” Heenan are your announce team with Vince McMahon in the studio

The Bushwhackers vs. The Bolsheviks with Slick

We start Wrestling Challenge in the arena as The Bolsheviks who are standing in the ring are introduced and Nikolai demands the microphone so he may perform The Russian National Anthem. He gets it but before he can start singing The Bushwhackers theme music begins playing and they make their way down the aisle.

Monsoon: Welcome to Wrestling Challenge and right off the bat I have to thank Luke and Butch for saving us from having to hear Nikolai sing.

Heenan: Very disrespectful on their part Monsoon.

The Russians attack right as the bell rings, but get sidestepped. Butch grabs Luke in a headlock and hits Nikolai with THE BATTERING RAM! Nikolai falls out to the floor. Boris charges them and also gets hit with THE BATTERING RAM! Luke makes the cover 1…2…3!

Monsoon: It’s over! Brain that has to be a record of some sort.

Heenan: Yeah… real great.

Rating: 50/58/33

We cut back to the studio where Vince McMahon informs us that we have a great show ahead of us. The Hart Foundation is in action as well as The Red Rooster vs. Bad News Brown. And in our feature bout The Ultimate Warrior will take on The Brooklyn Brawler! Next up however is The Mighty Hercules.

The Mighty Hercules vs. Butch Stanley

Both men are in the ring and Butch Stanley looks to outweigh Hercules by at least 150 pounds. Luckily that 150 pounds is mostly fat as to say Mr. Stanley is a little flabby would be a kind understatement.

Monsoon: Hercules is next up in action this week against this massive man by the name of Butch Stanley.

The bell rings and they lock up. Hercules grunt and powers Stanley down to the mat with a mighty shove. Stanley falls backwards a few steps and looks angry. Hercules pounds his chest and Stanley does the same. So Hercules pounds his chest with both hands. For some unknown reason this infuriates Butch so he bounces off the ropes and attempts a shoulder tackle. Hercules doesn’t move an inch, which just infuriates the big man even further. He tries one more time and Hercules doesn’t move again.

Heenan: Try something else you dummy! Monsoon where do they get these guys?

Unfortunately Stanley doesn’t heed the Brain’s advice and goes for a third shoulder tackle! This time Hercules springs forward and takes him down with a shoulder tackle of his own!

Heenan: I told you stupid. Hercules is dumb, but he’s stronger than you.

Stanley makes his way up and Hercules slams him back down. Hercules follows that up with two more big body slams and a BIG backdrop! Hercules calls for his finisher as Stanley begins to stagger to his feet.

Monsoon: Here it comes Brain!

Heenan: No way. This guy is way too big.

Hercules proves Heenan wrong and locks in the FULL NELSON!! He wrenches it in tight and Stanley has no choice but to quickly give it up. Hercules drops him to the mat and raises his arms in victory.

Rating: 40/34/46

Monsoon: What a great win by The Mighty Hercules! I bet you’re cursing the day you dropped him from the Family eh Brain?

Heenan: Not really Monsoon. I only employ class acts in my organization. Look at this buffoon. He may be strong, but he has absolutely no class.

Monsoon: Heh and we all know Haku and The Big Guy are full of class.

Heenan: At least they don’t leave Banana peels all over the announce table. Come on Monsoon this is ridiculous!

Monsoon: Give me a break!

Heenan: No class.

Monsoon: You resemble that remark that’s for sure. Now let’s take you to some remarks from a guy with plenty of class. He is in action next. The ULTIMATE WARRIOR!

The Ultimate Goal

Ultimate Warrior is pacing back and forth in front of his multi colored Ultimate Warrior logo screen. He has his light blue colored Intercontinental Title around his waist. He stops in the middle of the scene and begins snarling and snorting before finally speaking.

Warrior: IT IS ONLY 8 DAYS AWAY MY WARRIORS! 8 DAYS UNTIL WE MEET OUR DESTINY! WE HAVE GONE THROUGH MANY ROUGH BATTLES! TOGETHER MY WARRIORS WE HAVE defeated all OBSTACLES! BUT MY WARRIORS we come upon a different challenge. For we do not face a mere one man. We face 29 MEN WHO WOULD HAVE NOTHING MORE THAN TO KEEP US FROM OUR ULTIMATE GOAL!

The Warrior begins pacing again and looks to be getting even more worked up than he already was.

Warrior: You men will not rob us of what is ours. You will not STEAL OUR DESTINY! FOR I AM THE FUTURE! THE WARRIORS ARE THE FUTURE! THE ROYAL RUMBLE WILL BE OUR FIRST STEP… the first leap towards OUR ULTIMATE GOAL!

Rating: 74%

The Ultimate Warrior vs. Brooklyn Brawler: WWF Intercontinental Title

The Brawler is in the ring trying to rile up the crowd when the Warrior’s theme music hit and they all rise as one! Here he comes! The Warrior begins sprinting down the aisle.

Monsoon: Here we go Bobby! This young man is just full of energy. Look at him run down the aisle.

Warrior leaps up onto the apron and begins shaking the ropes and waving his arms.

Heenan: This idiot runs down to the ring at 200 miles an hour like it’s on fire or something. One of these days that’s going to come back to haunt him. I have a good feeling that won’t be today though.

Bobby proves once again why he is called The Brain as The Brawler gets in one very ineffective punch before The Ultimate Warrior takes over for good. Much to the delight of the crowd Warrior gets in all his signature spots including the jumping shoulder block, Gorilla Press Slam, and finishing with the ULTIMATE SPLASH! 1…2…3!

Monsoon: The Warrior is on a tear heading into the Royal Rumble Brain!

Heenan: I don’t know if anyone can slow this guy down Gorilla.

Rating: 63/57/70

Hard Times for The Warrior

As if on cue we go to a pre taped interview with The Big Bossman and his manager Slick.

Slick: Brutha…Brutha Brutha Brutha! Let me tell you how things are goin to go at tha RO YAL RUM BULL! We goin to strut on in Akeem The Afican Dreem and The Big Bossman and we goin to tear that mutha down. In 8 days it’s time to Par TAY! Tell em all about it Bossman.

Bossman: Royal Rumble. Lot of no good punks going to be in the same place at the same time. Time for me to lay out my own brand of justice on 29 men. One of those men deserves it a little more than the rest. Ultimate Warrior you been running lawless through the WWF for a long time now. But when I get a hold of you my friend you’ll be serving hard times and experience just what Jailhouse Justice is all about.

Slick: In 8 days War YA! Turn out the lights… The padays ova!

Bossman grins evily and smacks his nightstick into his hand as the interview ends.

Rating: 77%

Back in the studio Vince shows shock and disdain at the comments from The Big Bossman. He shills for The Royal Rumble before informing us tonight that we still have The Hart Foundation and Ted Dibiase in action, but up next it’s The Red Rooster one on one with Bad News Brown!

The Red Rooster vs. Bad News Brown

Both men are in the ring and Brown attacks before the bell to take control of this one early on. He hits a series of punches and kicks before slamming Rooster to the canvas and delivering multiple elbow and fist drops.

Monsoon: Bad News Brown is in a foul mood here tonight Brain.

Heenan: This man is always in a foul mood. You couldn’t exactly be pickin daisies and skipping down the street to survive in Harlem.

Bad News just continues to lay in the punishment and the poor Rooster is all but out of it. Brown raises his fist in the air and signals that it’s time to go ahead and put Rooster away. Rooster claws his way to his feet and Brown goes for the GHETTO BLASTER! It’s ducked and Rooster starts to get fired up! He hits a series of dropkicks and forearms. Brown charges in and Rooster hip locks him over.

Monsoon: Looks like The Rooster has some life left after all.

Rooster tries a suplex, but Brown goes over the top and rolls him up 1…2…KICKOUT! Rooster is up and Brown unloads with a vicious closed fist left hand blow. He drags Rooster up and whips him off the ropes. Brown ducks down for a back body drop, but Rooster goes over the top with a SUNSET FLIP! 1…2…3! The fans are in shock as The Rooster rolls quickly out of the ring to celebrate his victory.

Heenan: I can’t believe it! This has got to be an upset!

Monsoon: Upset city indeed Brain! This has got to be one of the biggest wins in this young man’s career!

Rating: 67/54/81

Vince McMahon also seems incredibly shocked at The Rooster’s victory. He says that it’s always exciting like this in the WWF. He then goes on to talk about a big live event taking place at Madison Square Garden tomorrow night. This ties into our next contest as he informs us that The Hart Foundation will be getting a shot at the WWF Tag Team Championships!

The Hart Foundation vs. Kevin Krueger and Porter Bailey

Hitman and The Anvil look to be fired up for their match against The Colossal Connection as they take it right to their opponents in this one. They isolate Bailey from his partner and Hart begins wearing him down with a series of technical holds.

Monsoon: They are looking awfully sound in there tonight Brain. Are you sure your men are ready for The Hart Foundation tomorrow in The Garden?

Heenan: My men are always ready Monsoon. I always prepare them with all the strategy they need.

Bret is in full control until Krueger comes in illegally and takes him down from behind with a clothesline. Bailey makes the tag to his partner and they work over The Hitman with some impressive maneuvers. The Anvil is fuming on the apron waiting for the tag. That chance finally comes after Krueger attempts a top rope splash and Hart rolls out of the way. Bret rolls all the way to the corner and tags in Neidhart! He comes into the ring a house of fire and unloads on both men! He is pounding the faces of both men with his big right hands. Bailey stumbles against the ropes so the Anvil clotheslines him over the top and to the floor! Krueger tries to attack, but Neidhart catches him in a big POWERSLAM! He makes the tag to the Hitman and lifts Krueger up for Bret to hit him with the HEART ATTACK! Bret covers for the 1…2…3!

Monsoon: You better prepare them with some more strategy there Brain because the Heart Foundation look to be red hot.

Heenan: We’ll see about that tomorrow Monsoon. We’ll see.

Rating: 58/44/73

Vince once again shills how exciting and thrilling the show at MSG will be before throwing it to our final match of the evening and signing off.

Ted Dibiase with Virgil vs. Chris Walker

Dibiase offers Walker three hundred dollars to go ahead and just head to the back as he doesn’t feel much like wrestling here tonight. Walker refuses and throws the money to the ground. Dibiase just clocks him with a right hand causing the referee to call for the bell. This match is nothing, but a pure squash. Walker gets in absolutely no offense as Dibiase just toys with him even allowing Virgil to get in a few shots on the outside. After a few minute Dibiase finally locks on The Million Dollar Dream for the win.

Heenan: He just toyed with him Monsoon. A real thing of beauty.

Dibiase grabs a microphone from the ring announcer.

Dibiase: I’ve always said that everyone has got a price for The Million Dollar Man. This is what happens when you don’t take the money. (Virgil picks this idiot up. Virgil drags him up and holds his hands behind his back as Dibiase picks up one of the discarded bills) You wouldn’t take the money when I handed it to you? Well you’ll take it now! (Dibiase shoves one of the bills in Walker’s mouth)

Rating: 68/57/80

Dibiase slaps him across the face and Virgil lets him collapse to the mat.

Monsoon: This is just a disgusting display. Who does he think he is?

Heenan: There is only one rule you should live by in this business Monsoon. Take the money!

Dibiase: You know I don’t think you peons understand yet. Perhaps another lesson is in order? Pick him up Virgil!

Virgil picks him up and Dibiase drops the microphone. But before they can dish out any more punishment Jake “The Snake” Roberts runs out from the back and chases them off. Dibiase yells angrily at Roberts as the show goes off the air.

Overall Card Rating: 62%

T.V. Rating: 4.08

Edited by Adam Copeland's Stalker

user posted image

New American Television

Saturday 6th, 1990

Matches Taped January 3rd, San Diego, California

Show opens with The Final Countdown by Europe playing over a series of clips of NAPW wrestlers, executing their signature moves, and showcasing some of the exciting action from the company. It ends with a quick run through of the three matches to be shown tonight, 'The Love Machine' Art Barr going against Rey Mysterio Jr. in the NAPW Junior Heavyweight Championship Tournament, The Pegasus Kid against Sabu from that same tournament, and Tony Atlas teaming up with The Bayside Bombers, Wolfe and Durante, to take on Sam Houston and The Blackbirds, Brickhouse Brown and Iceman Parsons.

We go from this footage to the studio setting, where Mike Tenay sits, attired in a suit. The backdrop for the desk is a banner featuring the NAPW logo, which is a take off on the New Japan logo, but with an eagle replacing the lion.

Mike Tenay: ' Hello, and welcome fans, to the first ever broadcast of New American Television, the flagship program for the last bastion of the sport of professional wrestling in the United States, New American Pro Wrestling. We might not have a milkman, or a million dollar one, nor a 'Stinger', but we have something they don't have. We have honor, we have competition, we have...wrestling!'

Tenay adjusts his suit jacket, as Rush's Tom Sawyer kicks up.

Tenay: ' And to prove that, I'd like to welcome my broadcast partner for the night, the FIRST EVER New American Pro Wrestling Heavyweight Champion, and arguably the greatest world champion in wrestling history... BOB BACKLUND!'

And indeed, Bob Backlund steps out from the back, in a nice suit himself, with the shiny new belt slung over his shoulder. He shakes hands with Tenay, and settles himself down into the guest host seat.

Bob Backlund: ' Its great to be here tonight, and to represent such a fine company, not only on air, but where it really matters, in the ring.'

Tenay: ' Now, Mr. Backlund...'

Backlund: ' Please, call me Bob.'

Tenay: ' Alright, Bob, I am to understand that you won this belt in a tournament in Japan, although, due to agreements with promoters there, we're unable to show stills or footage from it.'

Backlund: ' Yes. It is a shame that we can't bring that to the fans, but I aim to make it up to them, and to do that, I'm laying out an open challenge. I plan on being a fighting champion, and any man that wants to step up and take a shot, this is your chance.'

Tenay: ' Fans, thats quite a revelation for our first show! Now, Bob, we're about to go to our first match, between 'The Love Machine' Art Barr and the youngest member of our roster, at only sixteen years of age, though he's already made a name for himself here in San Diego, Rey Mysterio Jr. Have you any thoughts on these two men?'

Backlund: ' Well Mike, as champion, its my job to make sure I'm prepared for anyone in this company, because any man can earn a shot at this belt through hard work and sacrifice, just as I did. I've seen both these men in action, and I can tell you that though unorthodox, Rey Mysterio Jr has an intriguing and exciting style, a combonation of both the lucha libre style popular in Mexico, and our own American style. As for Art Barr, I can say that I don't admire his usual tactics, but no one can say that he and his partner, War Machine, are anything but effective.'

Tenay: ' Indeed. Fans, we're going to go to that match, right now!'

[tape feed]

The Beastie Boys No Sleep Til' Brooklyn kicks up for the young masked local phenom Rey Mysterio Jr.. Mysterio bounds out of the entrance, and runs to the ring, slapping hands along the way, and alone. He slides into the ring, and his small stature can be seen compared to the turnbuckles, which he leaps upon to pose, getting a small reaction from the hometown crowd.

Girls, Girls, Girls by Motley Crue is the theme for 'The Love Machine' Art Barr, as he confidently struts out from the back, with his tag team partner, and second for the match War Machine at his side. The two are a strange team, as Barr is far more laid back then the serious War Machine, but their effectiveness in and out of the ring has been proven in NAPW.

Barr climbs into the ring, and stares down the much smaller Mysterio, as War Machine takes his place at ringside. The referee checks both men, before the bell is rung.

Rey Mysterio Jr. vs. Art Barr w/ War Machine

Barr called for a lockup with Mysterio, and got it, manhandling the smaller man, and pushing him back into a corner. The referee called for a clean break, and admonished Barr when he took liberties, pushing Mysterio's head back into the turnbuckle as he moved backwards.

A second lockup, with a similar result to the first, except 'The Love Machine' ignores all attempts at a clean break, and lays a punch into Mysterio's jaw. He nails him with a few more, then whips him across the to the oppisite corner, and charges in, only to get caught with a nice second rope springboard hurricanrana! Mysterio immediately attempts to capitallize, leaping to the second rope, but the leg drop misses as Barr rolls out of the way. Crowd is solidly behind Mysterio by this point.

Art Barr is instantly on top of Mysterio, punching away, then showing his dickish side by boot scraping the youngster, before taunting the crowd. He turns back around right into a suprise dropkick, and stumbles against the ropes, where Mysterio crossbody blocks him over! The two tumble to the floor, where Mysterio pops up immediately, sliding back into the ring. War Machine moves over to check on Barr, and argues with the ref about what just happened, before helping Barr back into the ring.

Mysterio is quick to the offensive, but gets caught with a sweet belly to belly suplex that nearly drops him on his head, and seems to spell the end for the youngster, as Barr is back in control, and draws more ire from the referee for tossing Mysterio shoulder first into the turnbuckle. Barr turns to argue with the ref, drawing his attention, and allowing War Machine to choke Mysterio out in the corner, before Barr takes back over with yet another boot scrape, followed by some stomps.

The end is swift in coming, as Barr pulls the wobbly Mysterio up, and then plants him on his head with a Tombstone Piledriver! The cover is academic, as Art Barr advances in the NAPW Junior Heavyweight Tournament.

Winner: 'The Love Machine' Art Barr

[end feed]

Back in the studio, where Mike Tenay is still with NAPW Heavyweight Champion Bob Backlund.

Mike Tenay: ' I hate to say it Bob, but that match seemed to simply be a case of a boy among men.'

Bob Backlund: ' I'd have to agree. Rey Mysterio Jr. is a heck of a talent, but at such a young age, to go up against someone like Art Barr, he just wasn't ready. It dosen't help that War Machine was at ringside as well, taking advantage of some rather shady tactics.'

Tenay: ' Indeed. Speaking of War Machine, we have some footage of him and Art Barr, which we are going to show to you after this commercial.'

[Commercial]

Instead of going back to the studio, we see War Machine and 'The Love Machine' Art Barr standing in front of a plain white brick wall. War Machine has a fierce, determined look on his face, and a black towel covering his head, obscuring his face, while Barr seems to have just come from his match, as he's sweating, but has a cocky grin, having advanced.

user posted image

War Machine: ' What'chu saw right there was jus' anotha example of some poor kid that got put in tha' ring with one of tha' two bes' wrestlas' in all of New American Pro Wrestlin'. Rey Mysterio, no hard feelins', its dog eat dog, kid.'

Art Barr: ' Damn straight WM. I ain't got nothin' against Rey Mysterio, he was just another victim, another notch on the belts of the best damn tag team in this company, and of the best lookin' wrestler in the business. We're headed straight to the top, and he's just another one of the little people.'

War Machine: ' Speakin' a' headin' straight ta' tha' top, right now I'd like to lay a fair warnin' ta' everyone in NAP-Dubbya. Tha' Love Machine and War Machine are gonna make an impact, and we're gonna make it soon!'

Art Barr: ' Thats right WM. It might be tonight, it might be next week, it might be when you least expect it, but the two biggest, brightest, and newest stars in the sport of wrestlin' are here, and we're gonna make sure everybody knows it. Tell 'em what they can do WM.'

War Machine: ' Beat us, if you can... survive... if we let'chu!'

Fade back to the studio.

Mike Tenay: ' Strong words by those two young guns right there Bob. I'd have to say that, judging by Art Barr's performance against Rey Mysterio Jr., they're more then capable of backing it up.'

Bob Backlund: ' Oh, absolutely. Every man in NAPW is capable of bringing it on any given night, its what makes this the best company in the world. There ain't no gimmies in the ring around here.'

Mike Tenay: ' Which is exactly why our fans should never miss an episode of New American Television. You never know when you're going to see the next great match, or the next big star. Remember fans, we're here every Saturday, check your local listings.'

Bob Backlund: ' Mike, I'd just like to take this moment to re-iterate my open challenge. Any wrestler, anyone at all, who wants a shot at this title belt, step up and sign your name on the dotted line. I'm not going to run from anybody.'

Mike Tenay: ' I don't think anyone thinks you would. Speaking of titles fans, what we have for you next is yet another example of the fine junior heavyweight action you can only find here in New American Pro Wrestling, as we showcase two more of the world's brightest young stars in our continuing coverage of the NAPW Jr. Heavyweight Championship Tournament. We've got The Pegasus Kid of Canada going up against the always exciting Sabu! Let's go to that match now.'

[tape feed]

The ever popular Guns N' Roses' hit Welcome to the Jungle heralds the entrance of The Pegasus Kid, who, unlike his name may suggest, does not wear a mask. The young Canadian has truly shown himself to be a grappler worth watching, as his intensity and determination, as well as wide array of suplexes and technical holds, have begun to make a name for him not only in North America, but Japan as well. He steps out from the back in a simple pair of red tights, with 'Pegasus' written across the back, and makes his way to the ring. He ignores the crowd, seemingly focused intently on his task.

The music changes, to a vaguely Indian sounding theme, appropriate for the 'Silent Highlight', hailing from Bombay, Sabu. Sabu hits the curtain a bundle of energy, rushing to the ring, and getting right in Pegasus Kid's face, before backing off to pose on the turnbuckles, pointing to the sky with an outstretched arm, then tossing his headress to ringside, as we get ready for the start of this match.

The Pegasus Kid vs. Sabu

The two meet back in the center of the ring for a staredown, which ends with Pegasus Kid slapping Sabu in the face. Sabu responds in kind, and that gets answered with a stiff chop from PK, who follows up with another, and yet another, welting Sabu's chest. The stiff barrage puts the 'Silent Highlight' up against the ropes, where he's then whipped across, and caught with a nice neckbreaker when he comes back. Pegasus goes for a cover, but only gets a quick one count. He moves into an cross arm breaker, but Sabu fights up, and takes him over, reversing the move! PK powers out, and both men are to their feet, holding their arms a bit.

The two lock up, and Pegasus gets the advantage, ducking under and taking a waist lock. He goes for a suplex, but Sabu blocks, and rolls through, catching him with a headlock. The two fight for position, and end up on their feet, with Sabu still holding the headlock. Pegasus Kid bounces off the ropes, and sends Sabu to the far side, hits the mat as Sabu comes back over, then catches him with a back body drop that puts Sabu in the lights! Another cover, and another one count.

Pegasus pulls Sabu up, and hooks him up for a suplex, but Sabu counters, rolling through for a suprise two count! Pegasus escapes, and is irate, slapping the ropes, giving Sabu the chance to dropkick him out of the ring, before running the ropes, and... PLANCHA SUICIDA! Both men are down on the outside! Sabu is up first, and he lays a few punches into Pegasus Kid's head, before sending him into and over the guardrail, then leaping over himself to lay a flying clothesline on his opponent!

The two battle in the crowd for a bit, before TPK gets the upperhand, and sends Sabu back over the guardrail to ringside, and then follows. He smashes him into the steel post,then rolls him back into the ring, heading up top, but missing the headbutt attempt as Sabu rolls out of the way. Pegasus lands hard, and Sabu takes the oppurtunity to leap off the second rope, landing a leg drop, then go for a cover, but TPK is out at two. Sabu can't believe it, and argues with the ref, which only serves to give the Kid time to get to his feet, and nail him with a weird forearm/shoulderblock style move, then clamp on a rough leg lock. Sabu struggles, and after nearly three minutes in the hold, he gets the rope break.

Pegasus jumps to his feet, and pulls Sabu up with him, sinching him up, and taking him over with a snap suplex, before getting a nice bootscrape, and then picking him up again. He sends him off the ropes, and Sabu is noticeably limping, but still pulls out a SWEET Second Rope Moonsault Press that suprises Pegasus, and gets two. Both wrestlers are back up quickly, but a lock up results in Pegasus Kid ducking under, and securing a waistlock, which results in a series of three German suplexes, that surely spells the beginning of the end for Sabu.

Pegasus would continue to work the neck and shoulder area, softening it up with a strange armlock, then stomping on it, before nailing Sabu with a shoulder stunner for good measure. A fourth German suplex in the match got a two count, before Pegasus Kid decided he'd had enough, and nearly dropped Sabu on his head with a modified Fisherman's buster, before adding insult to injury by heading up top, and finishing the match off with a nice Swandive Headbutt! The Pegasus Kid advances.

Winner: The Pegasus Kid

[commercial]

Back from break, and Tenay is alone in the studio, which know looks disheveled, and Tenay looks a bit shooken up.

Mike Tenay: ' Fans, as you can see, NAPW Heavyweight Champion Bob Backlund is no longer with me in the studio, and thats because he's been taken for medical attention after he was savagely assaulted by the man who will apparently be challenging for his title. All this happened during the airing of the last match, and we're going to show it to you now.'

[tape feed]

Bob Backlund and Tenay are bantering back and forth, while watching the airing of the match between Sabu and The Pegasus Kid on the desktop monitors. Suddenly, there's a commotion from the side, and Backlund turns, only to get nailed in the face with a forearm from STAN HANSEN!

user posted image

Hansen punches away at Backlund, spitting and slobbering all over him as he does, before smashing his head into the table. He pulls Backlund onto the ground, and picks the NAPW Heavyweight Title up off the table.

Stan Hansen: ' You want a challenger Backlund? Looks like you got one!'

The short statement by Hansen was driven home by a shot of tobacco juice, and a few more stomps, before Hansen picked Backlund up, and sat him in the chair, only to viciously take him out with the infamous Lariat! By this time, officials had finally gotten the courage, or rather, the numbers, to take on the maurading Texan, pulling Backlund to saftey, and forcing Hansen off stage.

[end feed]

Tenay: ' Fans, that was a revolting attack, and it is my sad duty to inform you that, despite his actions, Stan Hansen has indeed been named the first contender to the title, and that match will be taking place in three weeks when New American Pro Wrestling hits Los Angeles. Tickets are on sale now.'

Tenay shuffles a few papers on his desk, trying to get reorganized.

Tenay: ' Right now, we're going to bring you a preview of the last of the NAPW Junior Heavyweight Championship Tournament matches, which we will be showing next week, between 'The Iceman' Dean Malenko and Black Tiger. After that, we'll be going to commercial, and coming back with our main event, a six man tag team match up pitting the team of The Bayside Bombers, Durante and Wolfe, along with Tony Atlas, against The Blackbirds, Brickhouse Brown and Iceman Parsons, and Sam Houston. Remember to tune in next week, when we'll have that match up in the Junior tournament!'

[tape feed]

user posted image

What we get is a simple video, showcasing the masked luchadore Black Tiger, with his unique style, a mix of the Mexican lucha libre, and the more familiar American style. Some exciting moves of his are shown, but also some clips of his technical work, to show he's well rounded. He seems to be enjoying himself in the clips, as he plays to the crowd, and slaps some fans hands. Next up is the near polar oppisite, as we see 'The Iceman' Dean Malenko, who is every bit his nickname, with his uncaring and vicious style. He is shown dropping several opponents straight on their heads with various suplexes and busters, as well as his vast array of technical holds and counters. Its going to be a great match up next week in Dana Point, don't miss it!

[commercial]

Back from commercial, and we immediately go to ringside, where, with limited television time remaining, we're joined in progress.

The Blackbirds & Sam Houston vs. The Bayside Bombers & Tony Atlas

JIP with The Blackbirds double teaming Durante of the Bombers, until a double clothesline has all three men down in the ring. While we wait for some movement, it should be acknowledged that these are some truely strange teams, with the Texas native Sam Houston, always true to his western roots, teaming up with the street wise Blackbirds, and the San Francisco bikers, the Bayside Bombers teaming up with the 'All-American' strongman, Tony Atlas. Wrestling, like politics, makes for strange bedfellows.

Durante is able to make the tag, as does the legal man on the other side, Iceman Parsons, so we have Tony Atlas and Sam Houston in the ring. Houston tries a shoulder block, but it has little affect on Atlas, who shrugs it off, and runs Houston over with one of his own. Brickhouse Brown tries to interfere, but gets taken down with a clothesline, and then one for the entering Iceman Parson's too. Atlas tosses The Blackbirds over the top rope, then slams a running Houston into the mat for a two count, as a brawl erupts on the outside between the two tag teams!

The commotion on the outside distracts Atlas, but its not enough, as though Houston tries to get a quick roll up, Atlas is out instantly, and angry. The two teams on the outside brawl into the crowd, and eventually out of the arena, apparently, leaving the two men in the ring as the only competitors, and thats a bad thing for Houston, who finds himself on the wrong side of a Gorilla Press Slam from Atlas, and staring at the lights.

Winner(s): Bayside Bombers & Tony Atlas (Atlas p. Houston)

Houston is helped out by the ref, as Atlas takes a moment to celebrate, posing on the turnbuckle. This turns out to be a mistake, as he's interrupted when Metallica's One hits, being the entrance music for War Machine, who's accompanied by 'The Love Machine' Art Barr! It looks like War Machine is wasting no time in looking to make his impact, as he puts the bad mouth on Atlas from the ramp. Atlas challenges him to come to the ring, and the duo oblige, surrounding the larger Atlas!

War Machine fakes a charge, which holds Atlas long enough for Barr to jump him from behind, but Atlas just shrugs him off, then press slams him over the top! That was a huge fall for the 'Love Machine'! Unfortunately, its all the opening War Machine needs, as he grabs Atlas from behind, and takes him over with a nicely executed suplex, then rolls to the outside. He searches under the ring for something, and apparently comes up with a length of cord!

Back in the ring, Atlas tries to fight off War Machine, and succeeds for a moment, having the size advantage, but thats all for naught, because Barr is back in the ring, with a steel chair! A massive swing, and Atlas is down, and what follows is almost enough to get New American Television thrown off the air in several markets, and our ending moment, as War Machine begins to choke Tony Atlas out with the cord! The last image is of this, with several NAPW officials rushing to the ring in the background, being held off by a chair weilding Art Barr! This is a heinous attack, and we'll have the aftermath for you next week, only on New American Television!

user posted image

1. Art Barr over Rey Mysterio Jr. (56,34,79) *1/2

2. Barr/War Machine promo (58)

3. Pegasus Kid over Sabu (71,42,100) ***3/4

4. Hansen/Backlund Segment (65)

5. Tiger/Malenko Video (59)

6. Tony Atlas/Bayside Bombers over Sam Houston/Blackbirds (51,36,67) 1/2*

Ovr: 55

Rating: 1.07

Edited by sycodmn

Two new shows from my comrades in arms.

First srarry's Wrestling Challenge. Again, a good representation of what the era was for the WWF. Loved the Red Rooster upset win here over Bad News Brown. I'm sure BNB will want/get a rematch, and I for one will be looking forward to it. I liked the Warrior promo too. It wasn't totally over the top, but it was almost there. You have him down pat, as if I should be surprised. Do I sense a feud coming between The Waaarrrriiioooorrrrrrr and The Big Bossman? I hope so, as that could be huge. Finally,The Hart Foundation make short work of...errr...whoever, leading them to thier MSG match with Andre and Haku.

Good show srarry, very good show.

Next we have syco's New American TV. Very blase name for a blase company? Just kidding. Man, you nailed Mr. No Charisma Bob Backlnd very well from this time period. All of your flippy floppy matches were gold, as well as the preview of Tiger and Malenko, what should be off the charts next week, but I think my favorite moment was seeing Hansen decapitate Backlund. Way to make an impact. I was loving it all, aside from Atlas being WM's bitch. I expect Atlas to get some retribution very very soon.

Good shows guys.

TGC

Edited by thegodcomplex

Awesome! Coming into work on a Monday morning and finding two new shows by your split partners is like finding money you forgot you had in a coat pocket. Lemme get a cup of coffee and get right into them...

WWF Wrestling Challenge:

I understand the nature of squashes, but DAMN The Bolsheviks went under quick. And to The Bushwhackers no less. I can see the unsavory nature of writing Bushwhacker antics, but they did often spend more time mugging with fans than wrestling, and I thought that was kind of curiously absent here.

The Mighty Hercules was more like it. Those strength displays really were a tried and true method for getting a powerhouse over.

Oh noes, an Ultimate Warrior promo. Knowing ACS, I need to be sure not to have a mouth full of hot coffee when I read this. Wow, that was surprisingly lucid, but not in a bad way. Looks like Warrior is ready to make a run at the World Title. If that's where this is headed for 'Mania, t'll be interesting to see how you put your own personal spin on it.

The Bossman promo was perfect. I especially love the transition "Tell em all about it Bossman," because that was a staple of 80's and early 90's promos, the verbal handoff. The Horsemen used it all the time, as did The Road Warriors. It was a quick and easy way to identify the speaker. Slick's jive-talking was great, and I look forward to seeing Warrior eat a nightstick.

The Red Rooster getting a victory was a pleasant surprise, and I see Operation: Bad News Jobber is in full swing.

The Hart Foundation squash was a good display of their tag team chemistry, but it reminds me of a simple fact. When other feds were still going with the over the top rope DQ rule, the WWF built one of their big events around a battle royale and had folks dumped over the top all the time, perhaps in spite. The times, they were a-changin'. Back to the match at hand, I'm kinda curious how in the world The Hitman and The Anvil will pull off a Hart Attack on EITHER Andre or Haku? :crying:

Jake "the Snake" vs. "The Million Dollar Man"?! This has LOTS of potential. With big $$$ involved, I doubt things will go according to Hoyle, however, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a swerve or two in this program as it develops.

Great stuff. The RO YALL RUM BULL is shaping up to be a CULL ASS ICK!

New American Television

Before I even start this one, I'm kinda unsure if it's easier to do a retro created fed or harder. I mean, syco can blaze his own trail, but is still constrained by the standards of the time period. This first show will really set the tone for where he intends to go, so let's have a look.

I liked the introduction with an extra helping of kayfabe. Tournament in Japan, eh? That's right up there with "Ancient Chinese Secret."

The first match was a good one to establish The Machines as solid yet distinct heels. Rey Mysterio here reminds me of a young Sam Houston, who was always billed as a protege of Dusty Rhodes and always ended up getting his ass kicked. Ironic that Sam's on your roster as well, with a little bit of seasoning behind him now.

The Machines promo was decent as War Machine's style of speech was verrrry familiar, but I was left kinda cold by him just trucking out the familiar old catchphrase slightly changed up for tag team usage. I'm looking forward to seeing you develop The Man Who Would Be Taz in a different way rather than just plugging him fully-formed into 1990 with different opponents. Still, it's a nitpick, and way too early to criticize too heavily.

Man, I can't believe Backlund said "Gimmies"... For a cutting edge promotion, your first World Champ's squarer than Gumby. :lol:

The Pegasus/Sabu match was nice, but I fear it relied too much on what we, as readers, know about the two. I know this is a workrate-based promotion, but neither man was really established in that match as anything more than a solid in-ring competitor.

I'm also concerned that the clock is ticking on a face Sabu. Sure, he's billed as from Bombay, India and his high spots are impressive, but we are about to enter The Gulf War in the coming year, and a guy who comes to the ring in a headdress isn't likely to draw cheers. Might be a bit premature for that worry, but just a reminder that it's there.

That being said, the cut from that to a behind-the-scenes attack really makes for some good contrast and shows that a workrate-based fed, even in 1990, doesn't have to completely dispense with drama.

Here, everything I said about Pegasus/Sabu is 180 degrees in the opposite direction. Backlund's open challenge and forthright manner show his roots in legit competition and no-frills style. Hansen, in his brief bit of screentime, is characterized as a ruthless opportunist with no sense of protocol or decorum. We learn everything we need to know about this feud in that short snippet (including Hansen's finisher of choice) and there's still plenty of room to develop it further. Great job! :thumbsup:

The tag team schmozz was a fun little cluster and shows that sometimes even the in-ring action can get out of control. The heinous attack on Tony Atlas shouldn't go unpunished nor unavenged, and it'll be interesting to see if he secures a partner of his own or if another team steps up to rival The Machines.

In all, an entertaining first outing with the groundwork laid for more.

Thanks, y'all. I suppose we have an NWA Saturday show up next and then Sunday shows? I almost feel guilty only having the one Monday night show... almost. B)

user posted image

New American Television

Preview

Its been a wild two weeks in New American Pro Wrestling, and New American Television is here to bring you all the action from Dana Point, and all around the NAPW world!

In action we'll have Axl Rotten taking on T.D. Madison in a 'No Disqualification' match, and trust us, this one got down and dirty, and went all over the arena! These two men put it all on the line, as they try and get their name into the hearts and minds of you, the New American fans!

We'll also have the last match in the first round of the NAPW Junior Heavyweight Championship Tournament, as Black Tiger will be going one on one with 'The Iceman' Dean Malenko. These two men have trained around the world, and you'll only be able to see them on New American TV!

And in our television main event, we'll have a preview of the rest of the Jr. Tournament, as the man who got a bye in the first round, Mexico's own Konnan, takes on the Englishman Johnny Smith. The Pegasus Kid will be sure to have an eye on this one, as he gets a chance to scout his second round opponent!

But thats not all, as we have some amazing footage involving Tony Atlas, a heinous attack on The Bayside Bombers, and the New American Pro Wrestling Heavyweight Champion Bob Backlund has some words for his attacker, 'Cowboy' Stan Hansen! You won't want to miss a minute!

New American Televison airs Saturdays, all up and down the West Coast. Check your local listings for time and channel!

user posted image

Edited by sycodmn

World Championship Wrestling

Airing on TBS Saturday, January 06, 1990

Announcers: Jim Ross and Terry Funk

Taped from WCW Studios

The show opens with a montage video, not all that dissimilar to the one used on Worldwide Power Wrestling, featuring Ric Flair, Arn Anderson, Ole Anderson, Sting, The Great Muta, The Midnight Express, Doom, The Road Warriors, and ends with a shot of Flair strutting in the ring before the NWA World Championship Wrestling logo comes to the screen. From there, the scene cuts to Jim Ross and Terry Funk at the announcer’s position as the fans in attendance can be heard cheering.

Ross: Welcome to 1990 and World Championship Wrestling here on TBS. I am, as always, your host for this evening, Jim Ross. The man on my left needs no introduction but…

Funk: I need no introduction and you’ll give me no introduction Ross. If they need to know who I am they obviously haven’t been watching World Championship Wrestling for a long time…

Ross: I apologize for interrupting you, Terry, but I can see the Steiners are already in the ring with Lance Russell.

The scene shifts to the ring immediately, where indeed Lance is standing with Rick and Scott, the NWA World Tag Team Champions.

Lance: The Steiners asked me to come out here now with them, so here I am. Gentlemen?

Rick hops around the ring like a fool grunting as Scott looks on amused. Finally Scott steps towards Lance, who is holding his mic out.

Scott: We made the announcement this past week on Worldwide Power Wrestling that ANY team in all of professional wrestling could show up tonight, come out here, and challenge for our Tag Team Titles. Well, the NWA Championship Committee frowned upon this, due to their “rankings”, but in the end myself and The Dog Faced Gremlin won out. So here we are Lance and the challenge sta…

Scott is cut off as music begins to play, very familiar music, and the opponents walk from the back.

NWA World Tag Team Titles Match: The Steiners© vs. Flyin’ Brian Pillman and The Z-Man

The fans erupt in cheers as the fan favorite team of Pillman and Z-Man walk from the back slapping hands and smiling big. Lance is already gone from the ring as Rick and Scott stand smiling, still wearing their Michigan jackets and Tag Team Belts. Pillman and Z-Man get in the ring, take off their jackets, as The Steiners do the same, then all four men stand face to face. Referee Tommy Young is now in the ring, and The Steiners hand the titles to him. He holds them high, then hands them off. The four combatants shake hands as Young calls for the bell and we’re underway.

Scott and Pillman start off, and it’s a quick pace right off the bat. Pillman gets the better of Scott, using a Flyin’ Brian Head Scissors Take Down, as Funk calls it, sending Scott through the middle and top rope and to the floor. Scott gets to his feet at the six count, looking visibly upset. He climbs back in the ring and tags in Rick, while Pillman tags in Z-Man. These two slow things down considerably, as Rick locks in an Abdominal Stretch, which Z-Man soon counter with a Hip Toss. Z-Man bounces off the ropes looking for a Splash, but Rick gets the knees up and then tags Scott back in. Scott, still glaring and not looking pleased at all, is quick to turn this wrestling match into a brawl as he jumps on Z-Man and starts laying in rights and lefts to his face. The fans reply with some mild booing, as Referee Young gives the mandatory five count, then Scott is up and he pulls Zenk to his corner where he “asks” rather loudly for Pillman to get back in here.

Pillman tags back in, and Scott immediately asks for a Test Of Strength. Pillman obliges, and the two lock up. Steiner has the advantage immediately, until Pillman kicks up and flips Scott over into a pin attempt, never letting go of the hands. Steiner breaks free quickly, and lays into Pillman with lefts and rights that garner him more booing from the spectators in attendance.

Jim Ross expresses his surprise and shock over Scott acting this way, but Funk likes it, saying these two need to get tougher if they expect to keep those belts.

Steiner tags Rick back in, and for the next several minutes it’s quick tags in and out and keeping Pillman separated from Z-Man. Rick Body Slams Pillman to the mat, grunts to the crowd, then bends over to pick him up and Pillman counters with a Small Package. Referee Tommy Young makes the count and one 1-2-3 later Pillman and Z-Man have won the NWA World Tag Team Titles.

Z-Man is shocked. He rushes into the ring to help his partner up as the fans cheer and Referee Young awards the new champions with their titles. Rick is sitting on the mat still in shock, while Scott is burying his head in his arm against the turnbuckle. Ross and Funk hype this as absolutely unbelievable, as they tell us not to go away.

WINNERS: Flyin’ Brian Pillman and The Z-Man

WORKRATE: 96

CROWD: 78

OR: 87

commercials

The Beginning Of Something Not So Beautiful

Lance Russell is standing in the interview area with a happy and amazed Pillman and Z-Man. Pillman kisses his newly won title.

Russell: Who would have thought prior to today that not only would…

Russell is cut off, however, as The Steiners walk up. Scott looks absolutely livid, while Rick just looks stunned still.

Scott: Excuse me Lance, but this is crap and you both know it. You two aren’t even RANKED, but now you’re the new NWA World Tag Team Champions. Well guess what, we want our rematch.

Pillman and Zenk look confused, as Lance moves the mic over to Pillman.

Pillman: When, now?

Scott smiles and nods.

Pillman: Scott, Rick, we just won the belts, we can’t do that I mean…

Scott yanks Russell’s arm back towards him.

Scott: I figured that’s what the answer was gonna be. You two lucked out once here tonight, but you know you can’t possibly do it twice. Especially not twice in one day. Fine, we’ll petition the NWA Championship Committee, and we WILL get our rematch. If not here on World Championship Wrestling, if not in some arena on the road, then at Clash Of The Champions, but we will get our belts back very soon. Count on it.

Scott and Rick walk off, amid boos, as Pillman and Z-Man look stunned, then turn and walk away.

Russell: Well, there you have it, a sudden and unexpected turn of events, and an even more sudden and unexpected change in The Steiners.

OR: 66

commercials

Dr Death Steve Williams vs. Wildfire Tommy Rich

When we return from commercials, both competitors are already in the ring. They shake hands and the referee calls for the bell as Ross and Funk discuss the happenings thus far as well as do a little hype duty for the remainder of the show, including the Main Event rematch from WorldWide Power Wrestling as The Great Muta defends his NWA TV Title against The Enforcer Arn Anderson.

Williams and Rich start slow, feeling each other out as well as demonstrating respect for each other. As Ross and Funk detail not only Wildfire’s previous reign in the 1980’s as the NWA World Heavyweight Champion but also Dr. Death’s recent impressive wins, Williams misses an attempted Running Shoulder Tackle, ramming his left shoulder into the ring post. Rich is quick to capitalize, as he rolls Williams up from behind and gets the 1-2-3 to win the match. The fans are shocked, although there is a small amount of cheers, for what is deemed by Ross and Funk as a bit of an upset win.

Rich stands tall, waiting on Williams to get to his feet. Finally Dr. Death does, and he looks Rich squarely in the eyes before slowly extending a hand. The fans cheer a bit more as the two wrestlers exit the ring separately and head to the back, while Ross surmises that there will likely be another meeting between these two another day.

WINNER: Wildfire Tommy Rich

WORKRATE: 72

CROWD: 50

OR: 61

commercials

Mad Dog Buzz Sawyer(with Gary Hart) vs. Ranger Ross

Ranger Ross is in the ring, an American Flag on his shoulder as he salutes the fans in attendance, when the music of The J-Tex Corporation hits and Gary Hart leads Mad Dog Buzz Sawyer to the ring. Sawyer looks a little maniacal here tonight, as Hart pumps him up verbally, before slapping him across the face three times and telling him to do it. Sawyer runs into the ring and attacks Ranger Ross from behind, and that’s all she wrote. The next five minutes are neither pretty nor classic, but the beating that Sawyer lays on Ross is brutal. With the American Flag draped in the corner, and the fans showing their dislike for Sawyer, he scoops Ross up and delivers a thunderous Power Slam on the American Hero that garners the easy 1-2-3 victory. Hart calls Sawyer to him, to which Sawyer scampers across the ring on all fours, as Hart whispers something into his ear. Sawyer gets a sick smile and glazed look in his eyes, before he rushes back over to Ross, drapes him in his own flag, then comes off the middle rope with a Flying Head Butt to his prone opponent. This garners Sawyer a bit more heat from the crowd as he and Gary Hart walk off and Funk says this is why Hart has Sawyer in the J-Tex Corporation to begin with.

WINNER: Mad Dog Buzz Sawyer

WORKRATE: 53

CROWD: 57

OR: 55

The J-Tex Corporation Have Big Plans For The Horsemen

Gary Hart leads Sawyer straight over to Lance Russell and the interview area of World Championship Wrestling. Hart motions for Sawyer, who snatches the mic away from Russell.

Hart: Say what you will, but The Four Horsemen are having a bit of trouble, and everyone can see it. We all saw this past week when Arn Anderson and Ole Anderson fell to the superiority that is The J-Tex Corporation. Where was Sting? Where was The Nature Boy? So soon after reforming this classic foursome already the foundation is starting to crack. That’s why At Clash Of The Champions in a month’s time it’s going to be nothing for Buzz Sawyer, The Dragonmaster, The Great Muta, and the fourth and newest member of The J-Tex Corporation to walk into that Steel Cage and then walk out of that Steel Cage victorious. The Four Horsemen are a thing of the past, we are the wave of the future, and we plan to prove it. Once again The Great Muta will meet The Enforcer here tonight for the coveted NWA Television Title and he will be successful in defending his belt. Then next week the Mad Dog wants you Ole Anderson. One on one, we plan to lay into and lay out The Four Horsemen in the weeks leading up to Clash of The Champions. Accept the challenges Horsemen, we dare you.

Hart tosses the mic at Russell, who backs away from a “growling” Sawyer as the twosome walk off amid some mild booing.

OR: 52

commercials

The Cuban Assassin Ricky(with the Cuban Assassin Fidel) vs. Sting

We return from break to find The Cuban Assassins Ricky and Fidel in the ring with the referee. Funk talks about Fidel’s losses to Sting as of late and how this has prompted him to bring his cousin Ricky up from Cuba to help him out. Ross continues the sell of this tale as Sting comes out. Ross says Sting could have trouble with both Assassins at ringside. However this theory is quickly put to rest when once Sting is in the ring The Nature Boy, The Enforcer, and Ole come from the back and walk down to the ringside area. Fidel looks worried now as he backs away from The Horsemen and the ref calls for the bell.

This encounter between The Stinger and Ricky isn’t that much different from the one Sting had with Fidel on WorldWide Power Wrestling, except that the two start off face to face this time. Sting controls the entire match from opening bell to closing bell, while The Horsemen look on with stoic faces and Fidel stands by looking irritated and upset. Sting finally ends this match with a Stinger Splash and then The Scorpion Deathlock, to which Ricky, who is in the center of the ring, quickly submits verbally. The Horsemen clap, slowly, as Fidel, who seems to have had enough, enters the ring and lays into Sting From behind. The Horsemen simply stand by and watch as Sting absorbs the blows, then whips Fidel into the opposite corner and hits a Stinger Splash on him as well. The fans cheer as The Cuban Assassins roll to the floor where Arn and Ole “escort” them to the back as Flair enters the ring. Funk says this could get good, and leaves the announce position quickly.

WINNER: Sting

WORKRATE: 65

CROWD: 55

OR: 60

The Horsemen Summit

Arn and Ole soon join Flair, Funk, who has a mic, and The Stinger in the ring. The fans cheer The Horsemen as Funk puts the mic in front of Flair’s mouth.

Flair: Stinger, nice job. You made quick work of those two, proving once again that we made the right decision by offering you a spot in The Four Horsemen. However we have some problems. Tell him, Ole?

Ole steps up and points a finger in Sting’s face, to which he responds by looking less than thrilled.

Ole: There’s just one little problem Sting, and we’re going to get it sorted out right here and right now. You see Sting, The Horsemen, we’re a unit. We’re a family. We’re more than The J-Tex Corporation or any other group can ever be. Where one Horseman is, there’s more. When one Horseman has an issue, we all have an issue. When one Horsemen is going for the gold, we’re ALL going for the gold. Now, I’m not even going to ask you what you were doing this past week when Arn was wrestling The Great Muta and getting double teamed, because frankly we don’t care. We only care that you missed the ball, and that, Sting, is strike one.

Sting looks very confused and attempts to speak, as Arn circles his way behind Sting unseen.

Ole: No, no Stinger, now isn’t the time to talk, now is the time to listen. You got invited into The Horsemen because of this man, The Champ, and that’s fine. Me and Arn, we didn’t disagree at all, but now you ARE a Horseman, and being one holds a lot of responsibility…

Ole stops and looks at the entrance where suddenly Jim Herd, World Championship Wrestling Vice President, and three men in suits are making their way to the ring. They all step inside and Funk is quick to put the mic in front of Herd as Ross says that he was rumored to be making an appearance here tonight.

Herd: Gentlemen, I apologize for the intrusion, sincerely, but I had planned to do this now before I knew the four of you were going to conduct private business in the ring. Myself, the NWA Board Of Directors, and the NWA Championship Committee have been working hard and very long hours to ensure that the upcoming Clash Of The Champions X: Texas Shootout here on TBS on February 6 is a success in the tradition of the NWA and World Championship Wrestling. With that in mind, we have already given the fans and you what everyone wants to see, and that is The Four Horsemen meeting The J-Tex Corporation inside a Steel Cage. But that’s not enough obviously. Now what I am about to say will potentially affect that match, but we can and we will deal with that at a later date. Sting, at Starrcade on December 13, 1989 you were able to win The Iron Man Series. That is an impressive accomplishment to say the least, made even more impressive by the fact that you defeated this man, The Nature Boy Ric Flair, the reigning NWA World Heavyweight Champion.

Arn makes his way back over by Flair, even stepping a bit in front of him and blocking Sting as he looks at The Champ and the belt secured around his waist.

Herd: You were the only man in that match that did not walk in a champion, as The Great Muta was and is the NWA TV Champion and The Total Package Lex Luger was and is the NWA United States Champion. With that all in mind, and because you deserve it more than maybe any other man in this business today, we have decided to grant you a title shot at Clash of The Champions.

The fans go nuts at this announcement, while Flair looks a little shocked, and Arn and Ole block him off from Sting even more.

Herd: And the title is up to you. Before the end of the night all we ask is that you come see us and tell us which champion you want to face at The Clash, and that match is yours. Sound good?

Sting shakes Herd’s hand and OWWW’s for the crowd as Funk puts the mic in front if him.

Sting: Sounds good, Mr. Herd? This sounds G-G-G-G-RRRRREAT! But I don’t think I need to make you or these fans wait a second longer. This one is easy for me. So Ole, Arn, and especially you Ric…

Sting is cut off as Ole grabs Funk’s hand and brings the mic towards him.

Ole: Kid, you don’t want to do this. This would be the biggest mistake of your short and young career. I just got through telling you The Four Horseman are a unit, and as a unit we have a match against The J-Tex Corporation at Clash. That’s what’s the most important thing, not your title shot. Title shots will always come your way Sting, you’re good and you do deserve them, but not now, and not like this. Now, tell Mr. Herd thanks but no thanks if you know what’s good for you.

With that The Horsemen walk off and start walking up the aisle towards the ring. Sting looks shocked and bewildered, as Herd, the suits, and Funk stand by waiting for a response. Flair turns and looks at Sting, then turns back around and he, Ole, and Arn are gone.

Sting: I think you guys had the wrong idea. Mr. Herd, at Clash of The Champions I’d like to…

Sting pauses and looks back at the entranceway, then shakes his head and continues.

Sting: …I’m going to go after the NWA United States Title. I’ll face Lex Luger.

The fans cheer this announcement, Ross puts it over as a monumental match, Funk shakes his head with a look of disgust, and Herd shakes Sting’s hand. Sting smiles, but has a small look of worry on his face.

OR: 94

commercials

The Junk Yard Dog vs. The Hustler Rip Rogers

With The Hustler Rip Rogers already in the ring, JYD makes his way down to some mild applause from the fans. Meanwhile Ross and Funk over argue what just transpired. While Ross puts it over as a big match, a great opportunity for Sting and The Horsemen, and potentially the biggest night in Horsemen history at Clash Of The Champions X: Texas Shootout, Funk disagrees on all points. He states that while he may have had some serious issues with both Flair and Sting this past year, he walked away from their meetings with respect for one of them. Flair. He says Sting is not now nor will he ever be Horsemen material, and that this selfish decision on Sting’s part was proof positive of that fact. Ross tries to argue with him, and while they converse this match begins and thankfully ends.

JYD takes control from the opening bell and proceeds to SQUASH! the living daylights out of The Hustler, both figuratively and literally. The end comes after a few Doggie Head Butts, the lifting of the leg, and The Thump on The Hustler that gets the rather academic 1-2-3. JYD celebrates, doing a little dance and a little bump and grind combo with his steel chain leash, then heads off to the back amid some startled, and disgusted, fans who make a little noise for the legend.

WINNER: The Junk Yard Dog

WORKRATE: 57

CROWD: 35

OR: 46

commercials

Doomed

Once the commercials are over Lance Russell is at the interview area with the unlikely duo of Woman and Teddy Long.

Lance: I am here with Teddy Long, the manager of The Skyscrapers, and Woman, the manager of Doom. I can only guess that you are out here now as a result of the tumultuous night we’ve had in regards to the NWA World Tag Team Titles,

Woman: Then I’d suggest you quit guessing. No, at this time I am here to announce that I have sold the contracts of not only my former personal bodyguard Nitron, but those of Doom as well.

Russell: Wait that’s, that’s simply astounding. Why would you do that I mean it’s…

Teddy Long interrupts Russell.

Long: You need to calm down. You act is if this here white woman selling a few black men is something unheard of here in the South.

This draws some heel heat to Long, as Woman stands by looking dead serious and Russell looks shocked at that statement too.

Long: Woman did what she did cuz she wanted to, and her loss is hopefully my gain. I didn’t want that Nitro, Nitron, Nitrate, whatever his name is, but Doom, well, as soon as Woman made it clear to me who those two were under those masks I was right on top of it. Teddy Long, the NEW Manager of Tag Teams. Has a nice ring to it, doesn’t it?

Woman: Yes it does, so, I’ll leave you to your charges, as I see them coming this way now, and I’ll be around.

Woman exits the scene, rather quickly, as indeed Doom 1 and Doom 2 make their way over, looking rather angry, or at least as angry as two masked men can look. Teddy Long steps in front of them, blocking their attempted pursuit of Woman.

Long: Not so fast gentlemen. You now work for me, not the skirt, and as such we have some things to discuss. Namely, getting you two proud black men out of masks.

Doom 1 looks down at Long and mouths “what” as Long rips the mask from his head. The fans cheer while Lance Russell again looks shocked to see the man before him.

Russell: Butch Reed? Doom 1 was Butch Reed all this time?

Reed is simply livid and shocked, but Doom 2 holds him back as Long reaches up and rips his mask off too. Again the crowd cheers. Again Russell is beside himself.

Russell: Butch Reed is Doom 1 and Ron Simmons is Doom 2? I can’t believe this at all I’m…

Long: Lose the attitude Doom Reed and Doom Simmons, or you might be finding yourself having a talk with my other Tag Team.

Doom Reed and Doom Simmons turn around to find Dangerous Dan Spivey and Mean Mark Callous, The Skyscrapers, now behind them. Spivey smiles a maniacal smile as Mean Mark just glares.

Long: Now, my good men, let’s head to the back so we can discuss the future After you?

The Skyscrapers part and usher Doom Simmons and Doom Reed towards the back with a smug, arrogant, and extremely confident Teddy Long walking behind them head held high.

OR: 63

commercials

The NWA World Championship Wrestling Clash Of The Champions X: Texas Shootout Control Center with Gordon Solie

Gordon Solie is standing in the Control Center while behind him, on a monitor, is the logo for Clash Of The Champions X: Texas Shootout.

Solie: I am Gordon Solie and welcome to the NWA World Championship Wrestling Control Center for Clash Of The Champions X: Texas Shootout, coming to you live on TBS Tuesday February 6 from Corpus Christi, Texas. Tickets are still on sale for some spectacular seats at The Memorial Coliseum. Please contact the ticket office for details. Now, as we learned just moments ago here on World Championship Wrestling, we now have a Double Main Event to headline Clash Of The Champions, as we will see The Total Package Lex Luger defend his NWA United States Title against Sting, while we will see the remaining members of The Four Horsemen meeting Gary Hart’s J-Tex Corporation in the most barbaric match in the history of wrestling, a Steel Cage Match.

The monitor shows clips of all the names mentioned as Solie mentions them.

Solie: Both of these matches will be joined by a third match just signed here today moments ago, as we will see the new NWA World Tag Team Champions Flyin’ Brian Pillman and The Z-Man defending their belts against the former champions The Steiner Brothers. However, as exciting and big as this news is, it’s just the tip of the iceberg as far as Clash Of The Champions X: Texas Shootout goes. Many more matches are expected to be announced in the weeks leading up to the first Clash Of The Champions for 1990, an event that is already shaping up to be stellar. That’s all for now, I am Gordon Solie coming to you LIVE from the NWA World Championship Wrestling Control Center, and we’ll see you again next week.

OR: 89

commercials

NWA Television Title Match: The Great Muta©(with Gary Hart, Mad Dog Buzz Sawyer, and The Dragonmaster) vs. The Enforcer Arn Anderson(with Ole Anderson)

Ross and Funk talk a little about COTC and the matches announced as Gary Hart leads the entire J-Tex Corporation, to date, to the ring with The Great Muta for his defense. Once they are all at and around ringside the music of The Four Horsemen hits and Ole accompanies Arn to the ring for this rematch from last week. Funk says that while he may despise the man now, he knows Gary Hart quite well, and this show of team unity tonight is a sign to The Horsemen, who are now minus one man in the Steel Cage Tag Team Match at COTC.

The briefest of clips is shown of the encounter Arn and Muta had on WorldWide Power Wrestling, before coming back to the “live” studio, where Arn and Ole talk for a second, before Arn gets in the ring and walks right over and lays a left fist to the jaw of Muta. Referee Tommy Young calls for the bell and these two great athletes begin the match with a brawl that Referee Young doesn’t seem sure how to get under control. They exchange lefts and rights, with Anderson getting the upper hand rather quickly and significantly. Muta is backed into the ropes and Anderson Irish Whips him out and into the far ropes. Anderson seems poised to go with a Spinebuster, but he changes and attempts a Clothesline that Muta ducks under. Muta stops dead in his tracks and nails a weak looking Reverse Neckbreaker. As if he senses this wasn’t performed up to par to get the three, he comes off the ropes with a Running Leg Drop onto the throat of The Enforcer. He hooks the leg but only gets a long two for his efforts. Sensing himself to be firmly in control one would assume, Muta spring up and stands ready. As AA gets to his knees Muta goes for a swift kick to the head, but AA grabs his leg and trips him up, rolling over him and applying an Arm Bar that keeps Muta on the ground, at least temporarily.

Meanwhile on the floor Hart whispers something to both Sawyer and Dragonmaster, then hits both on the back. They begin to slowly walk in opposite directions around the ring. Inside, Muta frees himself from the Arm Bar and gets to his feet only to be taken back down with the abused arm wrenched behind his back in a modified version of a Power Slam. Arn then goes for another cover attempt, but Muta, although obviously in great pain, is able to kick out at two. Dragonmaster makes his way towards Ole who notices him, but not Mad Dog creeping up behind him. Ole steps up and makes a move against Dragon, but it is Sawyer who levels him from behind with a massive forearm shot. Ole goes down at Dragon’s feet, who backs off, as Sawyer lays boots to the back of Ole. Arn has Muta in a Sleeper Hold at this point, his back turned to the commotion on the floor, as Referee Tommy Young raises and drops Muta’s arm for the second time. Dragonmaster enters the ring at the command of Hart, and as the arm is raised for a third and potentially final time he grabs Arn from behind and nails a Reverse Neckbreaker of his own, which sends Arn, still holding onto Muta with the Sleeper, down to the mat. It also sends Referee Tommy Young scurrying to call for the bell and the DQ win for the second time for AA.

Of course with the bell sounded, and Ole on the floor laid out, this means that Sawyer enters the ring and lays boots to the face and head of Arn. Referee Young is scared out of the ring by Dragon, who helps a dazed Muta to his feet. Sawyer delivers a Flying Headbutt to Arn, then Hart motions for Muta and Dragon to go back to work. This doesn’t occur however as the fans erupt and The Nature Boy, minus his expensive suit coat, rushes to the ring and slides in. He Chops Sawyer down to size, hits the old trick left foot on Dragon who was attempting to Belly To Back Suplex him, and then Chops down Muta to a great ovation. However as he’s cinching Dragon’s leg to apply what would appear to be The Figure Four Leg Lock, a big man in leather pants, a leather vest, and no shirt comes into the ring from virtually nowhere and grabs Flair by the throat and Choke Slams him down hard to the mat. Hart laughs evilly and points to The Enforcer, and the big man slams him down as well. Hart grabs the big guy’s arm and holds it high, screaming that The J-Tex Corporation’s fourth and final man is here now.

WINNER: The Enforcer Arn Anderson by DQ

WORKRATE: 84

CROWD: 87

OR: 86

Ross: I know him. That’s Nitron, that’s Woman’s former bodyguard. She said she sold his contract already and now we know who to, The J-Tex Corporation.

Funk: She sure did, and he’s done a number on The Enforcer AND The NWA World Heavyweight Champion, Ric Flair. But the bigger issues here, Ross, the biggest issue in fact, where’s Sting THIS time?

And with those words and three of the Four Horsemen laid out in and around the ring with the J-Tex Corporation standing tall, World Championship Wrestling goes off the air for the evening.

OR: 70

TV Rating: 3.03

Edited by thegarvincomplex