Having a game collection

Your Mom

I got to thinking about this while playing Jade Empire the other day. I was thinking about what I was going to do when I finished it. Because while it's cool it's one of those games you probably wont go back and play later. So I was thinking if I could beat it within the next month or so I could get a good trade in for it. But then I realized I dont really tend to trade in games that much and we have built up a collection of alot of stuff I am done with. So all you other gamers out there do you keep your old games so you can be like "Oh yeah I own Metal Gear Solid 1." Or would you rather finish a game and quickly trade it in towards the next one? To sum up is having a collection of games cool? Or is it better to keep yourself in more games by trading them in while you can?

There are *very* few games that I will retain upon completion. Usually, I will only keep a game of a certain genre if it is still my favorite of said genre. For instance, I've held onto Devil May Cry 3 due to it being my favorite of the action genre (and to beat it on Heaven or Hell mode, which I only recently did), Tekken 5 for being my favorite of the fighting genre (Virtua Fighter my aysssss), and Need For Speed Underground 2 for the racing genre.

Don't get me wrong, I love to thoroughly play games like Gran Turismo 4, God of War, Dyansty Warriors, etc. etc., but they only stay in my collection if they're my favorites.

The PSP, on the other hand....well, I'm a little packwhore for mah baby. Metal Gear Acid, Ape Escape, Wipeout Pure, NFSU: Rivals, & Lumines.

Wub to mah baby.

Doublewub to Lumines.

I usually keep them, never know when you get the urge to go back and play them. Like, for instance, Prince of Persia: Warrior Within. I beat it in under a month and then just the other day I went back and started a new game, or like Xenosaga, I needed a refresher course on the awesome Xenosaga plot so I went back and played it not long ago..

It's one of those things that once you say to yourself "I won't bring it back for a tradein just yet, I still have to _____", then you're screwed, because the longer you wait, the less you'll get from a tradein. Sports games especially. They get decent tradein money until the next season is released, and by then you'll be lucky to get 1/10 of the purchase price back.

I've never traded in a game , if I buy a game I buy it to keep even if I beat it when I'm bored i can go back and play through the said game again.

I shouldn't do it because I'm running out of room on my walls to hold all the games I'll have to build another shelf soon

Guest Pirate Chasin' Booty

Its great thinking about old games, but then you bother to play them again and realise how crap they are, or look. Outrun use to be a classic, I played it again and now its just ruined.

EDIT: Most of my games are illegal copies aswell, so the game shops aren't keen on buying them.

Edited by muddatrucker

I've never traded in any old games. I always like to keep mine. I might possibly consider trading in ones like Fifa 2004 since I have 2005 and they're practically the same but one is more out of date. I don't think it'd be worth it though.

I've taken to eBay recently to expand my collection. I have about 43 PS2 games. None of them are platinum, I hate platinum games, why do they even exist? They just make you look cheap and scruffy.

I have a Megadrive, Saturn, Gameboy and Gamegear in the loft all with game collections of their own.

I almost never trade in copies of games, if only because I buy very few games, and those I do buy I inevitably end up replaying. If you think you might want to play through a game a second time, hang on to it. You'll be glad you did when the craving for it hits.

Edited by Heel Turn

Other than the annual EA Sports Recycling Deathmarch, I almost never take a game in for trade. I've got 30 PS2 games, and enjoy them all. But, then again, I'm also the guy who once had a CD collection numbering in the 700's, so collecting anything is hella cool with me.

I keep my games. The only games I've really ever traded in are the games I've hated like The Sims: Bustin' Out. I still cherish having copies of all the major 2D Sonic games on Genesis and my copy of games like Goldeneye and Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Sure, it means I'm not a real game buyer as I haven't bought brand new games in a long while, but I feel I bought my games to keep, not to trade in two months later. If I wanted to play a game for a temporary time, I suppose I'd just rent them.

I usually keep my games, unless it's something like Smackdown! since the next game is pretty much the same with extra bells and whistles on. I learned my mistake when I thought the same of GTAIII and Vice City, and actually went as far as to buy GTAIII back. I've also taken to expanding my PS1 collection for some strange reason as of late. Just recently I bought Ridge Racer Type 4, Future Cop LAPD and Final Fantasy 7.

I kinda agree with what Mudda said since it's one of the reasons I've not touched games like Pandemonium or whatever, but having played Future Cop, I think it doesn't always apply. The graphics might be shit but the game was awesome :P

I remember trading in Secret of Mana about 7 years ago, (when I was 12) and 2 years later I started to really want to play it again. The place I traded it into had obviously sold it, so I had to track down a copy (I didnt have the internet 5 years ago) in a huge games store and had to buy it for like 10x what I sold it off for. I was pissed, but I had my baby back.

I learned the same lesson Robster did, except I didn't re-purchase the game.

Never sell a game back to a game store.

Sell it to your friends, a family member, a co-worker, put it on eBay, etc.

One thing that really pissed me off: When I traded in GTAIII midway between VC and SA releases, they were like "we'll give you $10 for it" and I say ok, and then he takes the game and hits a few keys, and I look...the guy's printing out a $34.99 price tag for the game.

I know that's what usually happens, but it just seemed like a slap in the face to offer somebody $10 for something, and then less than 10 seconds after you make the trade you're selling it again for $25 more.

Selling to people you know, or even on eBay, is my preferred method. You'll get more money for them than you would trading them in, and the person that buys them gets them cheaper than they would ever find them in a store.

I really see no point in keeping games that I dont really like. I only have 7 games for my xbox, but the thing is that I like every single one of the games. I usually borrow games from blockbuster or someplace like that, try it out and if I like it then I buy it.

I learned the same lesson Robster did, except I didn't re-purchase the game.

Never sell a game back to a game store.

Sell it to your friends, a family member, a co-worker, put it on eBay, etc.

One thing that really pissed me off: When I traded in GTAIII midway between VC and SA releases, they were like "we'll give you $10 for it" and I say ok, and then he takes the game and hits a few keys, and I look...the guy's printing out a $34.99 price tag for the game.

I know that's what usually happens, but it just seemed like a slap in the face to offer somebody $10 for something, and then less than 10 seconds after you make the trade you're selling it again for $25 more.

Selling to people you know, or even on eBay, is my preferred method. You'll get more money for them than you would trading them in, and the person that buys them gets them cheaper than they would ever find them in a store.