NFL Draft 2005

livid

I figured we'd get a topic going about the draft, seeing as how it's tomorrow and everything.

I really do not know, as a 49ers fan, who they're going to pick. I don't know if it's going to be Smith because of Rodgers and not being able to be signed, or if it's going to be Rodgers, or maybe it could be Braylod Edwards. Hell, all I know is that they need help.

This draft has no true no. 1 picks, so it's going to be hard to choose which player would serve the team the best for the future, or even the present.

Definitely going to be an interesting day tomorrow.

For those of you who don't know..

Draft Order:

1 - 1 San Francisco

1 - 2 Miami

1 - 3 Cleveland

1 - 4 Chicago

1 - 5 Tampa Bay

1 - 6 Tennessee

1 - 7 Minnesota (from Oakland)

1 - 8 Arizona

1 - 9 Washington

1 - 10 Detroit

1 - 11 Dallas

1 - 12 San Diego (from N.Y. Giants)

1 - 13 Houston

1 - 14 Carolina

1 - 15 Kansas City

1 - 16 New Orleans

1 - 17 Cincinnati

1 - 18 Minnesota

1 - 19 St. Louis

1 - 20 Dallas (from Buffalo)

1 - 21 Jacksonville

1 - 22 Baltimore

1 - 23 Seattle

1 - 24 Green Bay

1 - 25 Washington (from Denver)

1 - 26 Oakland (from N.Y. Jets)

1 - 27 Atlanta

1 - 28 San Diego

1 - 29 Indianapolis

1 - 30 Pittsburgh

1 - 31 Philadelphia

1 - 32 New England

Guest Bluesman

I truly hope the Vikings trade down. As you mentioned, there isn't any true number 1...this draft really seems to be short on top tier, blue chip talent. I think we're in a perfect situation to stockpile a bunch of young talent, with our 2 first rounders. I'd like to see them get Mark Clayton with the 18 pick, I think he's going to be a good WR.

I forget his name, but there's this 6'4" reciever at USC that makes (Tampa Bay Wide Reciever) Michael Clayton look like a joke.

It'd be pretty sweet if the Bucs drafted him, and got another threat in the receiving corps, seeing how the three receivers that were pretty much crucial in there Super Bowl run (Keyshawn, Joe Jurevicius, and Keenan McCardell) have all gone packing.

My board was dependent on no trades. So it'll be wrong but you can have a look

Smith goes One

Miami trade down. I'm guessing with the Bucs

Browns will probably get either Rodgers or Edwards

Chicago plugs with Cedric Benson

If Bucs stays here they'll go for Ronnie Brown

Rolle gets the first Defender title by going to the Titans

Vi-Queens get Mike Williams

I think the Cards will opt for D first and Pac-Man Jones with a plan on getting Arrington second round

Carlos Rodgers becomes a Skin

Derrick Johnson goes to the Motor City

Take a plug on Ware for the Cowboys

Chargers either take Troy Williamson or Trade down

Cadillac drops into the Texans lap

Alex Barron gets the First OT drafted honor and a Panthers jersey if they can't trade up

Merriman becomes a Chief

Thomas Davis goes to New Orleans

David Pollack or Heath Miller go to Cin City

Vi-Queens use their second first rounder on Erasmus James

Jamaal Brown goes to the Rams

Marcus Spears falls into Parcells lap at 20 (If he's on the board they're NOT trading this one)

Khalif Barnes goes to the Jags

Mark Clayton flys with the Ravens

Fabian Washington goes to Seattle

Martin Jackson goes to the Pack

Justin Miller to the Broncos

Heath Miller to the Jets if Cin City don't nab him.

Shaun Cody to the Falcons

Dan Cody to the Chargers (If they don't trade the pick)

Travis Johnson to the Colts

Matt Jones becomes the Steelers latest Wideout Project (Cause the Eagles will take him if they don't)

Philly will probably move up but if they can't swing a deal look for Roddy White to go here

Channing Crowder goes to the Patriots

Edited by Troy Maskell

I cant wait, its only a couple minutes away! I've got no idea who the Patriots are going to take, same as most of the other teams, as the draft is full of good, not great, players.

Well the first round is almost over, I'm hoping that the Pats take Matt Roth, who will hopefully still be available. I got my fingers crossed :)

Edited by Hellfire

As a Niners fan, I'm pleased with the pick of Alex Smith. Although there were other options, the need for a QB was too great. Rattay, so far, has dissapointed many as the starting QB and he is quite injury-prone. Hopefully, with Smith the Niners can get some other players around him and get a good, young core of players going into training camp this season. WR is also a major need, as nobody's proven themselves, but then again Erickson didn't play Rashaun Woods at all last year.

Ronnie Brown to the Dolphins is a good pick for them, as they needed a good, solid RB.

I predict that the Browns take Aaron Rodgers with the next pick, as they need a QB to get behind for the future.

I am glad that the Browns took Edwards. I see them either taking a DL man in the 2nd or Frye if you is still around at the beginning of the secound. The Browns offense seems as though it may be vastly improved with the Oline signings, getting a vetern QB who hopefully wont be like Garcia, and also the will have Edwards and Winslow back from injury going out for passes.

Guest Bluesman

Dammit...it looks like Williams will fall to the Vikes, which means they'll take him and not Clayton...dammit...

Edit-Dammit, they took Williamson...maybe they'll still take Clayton at 18 <_<

Edited by Bluesman

oh shit....Lions take Mike Williams?!> Joey Harrington must have just orgasmed, as they now have Charles Rogers, Roy Williams and Mike Williams...thats just insane.

Guest Bluesman

Not terribly pleased with the Vikes, especially Williamson...we couldn't have dealt down, especially with the Titans taking Jones (as everyone expected Rolle)? The guy we took in the 2nd round is supposed to project as a T (why not draft Khalif Barnes, a prospective 1st rounder then?), and the CB we got in the 3rd is the 21st ranked CB according to nfldraftcountdown.com. Ouch.

I am very pleased with the days that the Ravens, 49ers and Lions have had.

Baltimore Ravens:

Round 1 (22nd Overall): Mark Clayton (WR) - Great addition to the WR core that is headed up by Derrick Mason. We needed another WR to compliment Mason and Clayton should work out well. Boller's gonna have a pretty good time (hopefully) in the O this year with the additions they've made, and with Jamal Lewis comeing back.

Round 2 (53rd Overall: Dan Cody (DE) - What a steal, I think. On Mel Kiper's board, he was 19th overall as a prospect and he ends up falling all the way down to the 53rd overall pick. While there are some questions about him and his personal problems, basing by the stuff on the field, this is a complete steal.

Round 2 (64th Overall): Adam Terry (OT) - While I don't know much about this guy, from what I've heard it was a good pick for them. They needed some help on the O-Line with "Zeus" underachieving a bit. Perhaps, if anything comes out of this guy, is that he pushes "Zeus" to improve his play and work harder.

San Francisco 49ers:

Round 1 (1st Overall): Alex Smith (QB) - Great pick that I think will turn out well for the team in the future, if not in the present. He's a mobile QB, but not a straight-up running QB. I think, perhaps, a comparison in QB style could be made with Steve Young, only that he's a little taller, etc.. I really hope that this is the guy that leads the team in the future, as he seems to be a bright kid and seems to like what he's getting into with the Niners.

Round 2 (33rd Overall): David Baas (OG/OC) - I don't know much about him, but he looks like a true football player. From what I've heard, it looks like it adds more talent to the interior line of the Niners. With Justin Smiley on the other side, Newberry in the middle, this O-Line is slowly taking shape as a solid one.

Round 3 (65th Overall): Frank Gore (RB) - With the likelihood of a Kevan Barlow cap casualty this summer, a pick-up of Gore is good. He's got potential to be a playmaker. We were in need of a RB in a way and this pick looks good for the future.

Round 3 (94th Overall): Adam Snyder (OL) - He's listed as both a guard and a tackle, which we could use some depth at. With no REAL playmaking Wideouts or Safties out there, this seems like a good pick.

Detroit Lions:

Round 1 (10th Overall): Mike Williams (WR) - I think that he was one of the best players in the draft this year and was surprised to see him drop down to this spot. He's a good, tall WR with solid hands and should work well as a counterpart to Roy Williams. Should be a good tandem, and even trio if Rogers comes back healthy. Merrill Hodge is an idiot for projecting him in Round 4.

Round 2 (37th Overall): Shaun Cody (DL) - Much like the other Cody, this one fell into the 2nd round and wasn't expected to. This is a steal for the Lions, who need help on D and this is one of the areas on D that they needed help on. He's a soild player and should help the team pretty soon, maybe even right away.

Round 3 (72nd Overall): Stanley Wilson (CB) - I don't know much about this guy either, but it looks like the guy might be able to help the secondary a bit, which would add a little bit to it. May even get moved to Safety if needed and could be a solid pick.

Analysis of my favorite teams = Over. :P

Guest Captain America

The Lions got the best out of this draft in my opinion.

The Packers got a steal with Rodgers. A good QB to replace Farve.

My favorite team The St.Louis Rams fixed their holes on offense and defense.

So the draft went good in my opinion.

Guest Bluesman

Yea, the Ravens did very well. I think Clayton is going to be a very good WR, perhaps the best in this class. The only knocks on him seem to be 'well he isn't that tall, he isn't that fast', nit-picking things. He is ahead of other WR's in the draft at things like blocking, route running, running after the catch, etc. At first my dad thought we took Cody at DE (he was working all day so I had to tell him the picks) at 18, it's amazing how far that guy fell.

Clarrett was taken with the last pick in the third round by Denver, as I predicted he'd go in the last few picks of the third round. I just knew someone would take a chance on him before the second day and with Denver, I think Shanahan wants to prove he can turn anyone into a 1,000 yard rusher in Denver.

Clarrett was taken with the last pick in the third round by Denver, as I predicted he'd go in the last few picks of the third round. I just knew someone would take a chance on him before the second day and with Denver, I think Shanahan wants to prove he can turn anyone into a 1,000 yard rusher in Denver.