Chelsea thread

G-O-D

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I swear when I watch Chelsea that time stands still. It doesn't seem to move, I look at the time it says 34:45. The next time I look up which seems like 20 minutes later it says 35:41.

Can't argue with the results - I'm sure the performances will come, but right now Chelsea are the viable opposition to Arsenal. Well drilled, skilled and playing as a team - they could win it all. And their performances in Europe have been extremely good, a stark contrast to Arsenal's :P

their European performances have been professional and easy on the eye.

Of course, we (and by we, I mean I) will never get to see them on ITV1, ohhh no. Can't show an English team on a terrestrial channel unless they're playing in red.

Yes I'm bitter. I was bitter in 1999 when I was forced to resort to watching Chelsea lose in the quarterfinals to Barcelona 6-4 on aggregate in extra time on Ceefax. I have been bitter ever since. They didn't show a Chelsea group game on ITV1 last year, and they're blatently not going to this year either. :angry:

• 3 weeks later...

Great game for Chelsea today. Eidur gets his first ever hat trick, and Robben makes an impressive debut.

Still boring, boring Chelsea?

In a word; yes. One game this season you've managed to play attractive football and really dominate a game to the point they never had a chance.

Dutch winger Arjen Robben is ready to replace shamed striker Adrian Mutu as Chelsea wait for the return to full fitness of Didier Drogba.

Robben made a stunning debut for Jose Mourinho's side after coming on as a second-half substitute in the 4-0 demolition of Blackburn on Saturday.

Mourinho believes that Robben is capable of playing anywhere in attack and is prepared to use him in such a role until Drogba is fit again.

Mutu is still waiting to be hit with a Football Association charge for his drug test failure.

The Romanian skipper insists he did not take cocaine but a substance aimed at improving his sex life.

The disgraced player could face a six-month ban or a period of counselling and treatment without any suspension.

However, such a move would incur the wrath of sports minister Richard Caborn, who yesterday called for the FA to crack down hard on the Romanian by handing him a two-year ban.

Mutu and his entourage of advisors are understood to have met FA officials yesterday and the player is expected to be charged this week.

But Robben will grasp the chance to replace Mutu with Mourinho down to just two recognised strikers in Eidur Gudjohnsen and Mateja Kezman.

Robben said: 'What I have already is a sense of confidence in me from the manager. He told me he wants to go in a new direction. According to him, he can use me in every position across the front line, not just on the left.

'He feels I'm not only a winger but that I can also play on the right or through the middle as a second striker.

'It's been a very difficult time for me, so I badly wanted to get out and play for the club.'

The former PSV man, who joined the club for £12million, had been sidelined since the pre-season with an ankle injury.

But he was an instant hit with Chelsea fans as they tore struggling Rovers apart in the rain at Stamford Bridge.

Edited by G-O-D

Kezman scored his first goal (ignoring the half dozen he scored in the friendlies) against West Ham in the Carling Cup yesterday, woot.

We're away to Newcastle in the next round. Since Mourinho actually appears to give a damn about the competition, it should be a good match.

Chelsea legend Zola awarded OBE

Chelsea legend Gianfranco Zola is to be awarded an OBE in a special ceremony in Rome on Monday.

The British embassy described Zola as "the most enduring and popular foreign player in the history of Chelsea" and praised his support for charities.

Zola played for the Blues for seven years but returned to Italy to finish his career with Cagliari in 2003 and will retire at the end of this season.

The Italian international, 38, moved to London for £4.5m from Parma in 1996.

Zola scored 80 goals and helped the club win six trophies during his seven seasons at Stamford Bridge.

"The 2002-2003 season was his last with Chelsea, and he left the club with style, scoring 16 goals," the embassy said.

"Despite the pleas of fans to remain with the team, he decided to return to his native Sardinia in 2003, having made a remarkable contribution to English football."

I post this from bbc.co.uk merely to say...

Wooo! :D

Whee, loads of thing to talk about tday :D

The Mutu drug stuff

I've always thought that he was a waste of money. It became aparent very early on that his priority was only to go out and get off his tits rather than play football. I honestly can't remember a time when Mutu really worked hard in a game. Good ridance to him, maybe now we can get a decent 4th striker.

Today's Game

Fucking superb. I think it's brilliant that we can lose a game and bounce back so well to score eight in two games. And with Robben, I can see it getting even better and better.

Arsenal

Now, I can really see the Arsenal heads going down. After the United loss and 2-2 with Southampton, I think the next couple of weeks are going to be vital in the title race. And in all honesty and in a non bias way, I think Chelsea are going to come out the best.