World Cup of Baseball

sahyder1

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anything it would be giving the other countries more of a fighting chance. The only places Baseball is big is in Southeast Asia, North America and that is pretty much it in other world cups they dont just throw in terrible teams, so why should this be any different. It would be all right if the US had more then one team this time around but as Baseball popularity in other countries increases then it will be able to go to World Cup like other sports where all teams are qualifing to get in.

I suppose you have to keep the fans interested. Seems to me American fans aren't that up on internationals and rather concentrate on the club aspect of the sport. Which really makes sense since the sports they play are predominantly played by them in comparison to say soccer/football so if you want to get this thing off the ground you'd need as much interest as possible.

I suppose you have to keep the fans interested. Seems to me American fans aren't that up on internationals and rather concentrate on the club aspect of the sport. Which really makes sense since the sports they play are predominantly played by them in comparison to say soccer/football so if you want to get this thing off the ground you'd need as much interest as possible.

Baseball isn't big enough internationally to field 16 great teams, so why should they have a horrible tournament the first time around simply to accomodate the idea that we need 16 individual teams? Sounds like a good way to kill off interest in my mind.

It's called the World Baseball Classic. Teams from around the World are competing, so they're not lying. I honestly don't see the problem. Stop being so rigid with your thought process that it's baseball's version of the football/soccer World Cup, and you shouldn't have any problems either unless you think they should also ban multiple teams/athletes from individual countries competing at the World Championships.

What's it called shouldn't matter, because there is not definitive definition to the term World Cup. You're completely basing it off the soccer/football world cup, mainly because it's the only other one. So to say that it has to be exactly the same as the scocer/football one is just not right, because they're two completely different sports.

World Cup is the name of various high-profile international competitions in a variety of sports, particularly team sports. In most parts of the world, the unqualified name usually means the association football (soccer) World Cup.

Some of these tournaments are listed below:

* FIFA World Cup (association football/soccer)

* FIFA Women's World Cup (association football/soccer)

* Cricket World Cup

* Rugby League World Cup

* Rugby Union World Cup

* Alpine Skiing World Cup

* Freestyle Skiing World Cup

* Cross-country skiing World Cup

* Volleyball World Cup

* American Football World Cup

* Golf World Cup

* World Cup of Hockey (ice hockey)

* World Hockey Cup (field hockey)

* Basketball World Cup

Now I don't know if the American Football World Cup has more than one team from America or not, but just saying that Soccer isn't the only other world cup.

There isn't an American Football one. Europe has the euopean Championships and Eurobowl though.

I wasn't basing my thoughts purely off the world cup of football, like IaceI said, there's LOADS of world cups that work as I've suggested. Don't be so ignorant.

He's just saying that it shouldn't be called "World" when half the world aren't involved most likely, what's so wrong with that.

We might as well say Soccer is the World's Greatest Sport, the whole World isn't involved in it, but that doesn't matter.

Wow, we Brits do know how to beat things to death.

If it's a tournament aimed at deciding which country is the best at baseball, then the organizers shouldn't take steps which compromise the idea of 1 country, 1 team, just so as to make it more media savvy. It's not like the Americans are certainly going to field the best single team anyway; giving them 2 teams just gives them 2 chances to win.

If it's a tournament aimed at deciding which country is the best at baseball, then the organizers shouldn't take steps which compromise the idea of 1 country, 1 team, just so as to make it more media savvy. It's not like the Americans are certainly going to field the best single team anyway; giving them 2 teams just gives them 2 chances to win.

That's my point exactly, but some people can't seem to comprehend that that's not fair.