Give me some new bands to listen to

Gongsun Zan

Hm, I'm getting quite bored of my current music collection, so I figured I might as well check some new stuff out. If posible, it would help if you could provide a quick paragraph as to why I should pick up a CD, since I'm kinda reluctant on wasting any more cash this month.

If it helps, here's the stuff I got on my playlist:

AFI

Audioslave

Beastie Boys

Breaking Benjamin

Dream Theater

Eminem

Garbage

Gorrillaz

Green Day

Metallica

Muse

Outkast

Rage Against the Machine

BTW, I'm not really looking to pick up anymore rap/hip hop stuff, but anything else is fine.

Edited by Gongsun Zan

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Black Dice's Beaches & Canyons

Why should you, a modern rock fan, listen to a band like Black Dice? I don't know really. I like everything from rock, to pop, to rap, to country, etc. If you're the same way, I don't see why you can't give this CD a chance. It's likely to be cheap, or so I hope, because quite frankly no CD like this is worth anything more than $10. It's atmospheric/noise/ambience music. No vocals. Can be a bit harsh at times when it comes to the noises. Sometimes it's beautiful music, and other times it's harsh and violent. I like it, but then again, I also like Justin Timberlake. Only suggested if you really want to try something new, and not branch out onto another branch of the rock genre.

Buckethead's Giant Robot

It's half instrumental guitar rock, and the other half has lyrics from Les Claypool of Primus fame. It's a good rock CD. Don't expect it to have emotional lyrics and whatnot. It's Buckethead + Les fuckin' Claypool. It serves it's purpose well enough, and that's to make you laugh a few times (Onions Unleashed, I Come In Peace), and hear one of the most talented guitar players out there doing his thing. Like Black Dice, only buy/download if you want to listen to a new type of music, and not just another branch of the rock genre like many are suggesting.

The Von Bondies,

The Velvet Underground,

The Subways,

Gwen Stefani,

The Suffrajets,

Auf der Maur,

Patrick Wolf.

I like a lot of stuff on that playlist, GZ, and I also enjoy these bands as well, so take that for what it's worth I guess. If you like Garbage, you'll like AdM. If you like Muse, you might like Patrick Wolf. They're not too similar, but most people I know who like one like the other, so...

RK/ZB!

Spock's Beard (It's the shit)

Opeth (Heavier than Dream Theater, more like prog-metal or something.)

Strung Out (I know I whore these out a lot but the new album reminds me slightly of AFI. The sort of darkness surrounding it whilst still being punk/rock)

I second Buckethead, get some Primus too it's fucking awesome

THere's loads more I can recommend but that wil do for now.

Check out Liquid Tension Experiment... it is all instrumental stuff and is akin to some of the stuff Dream Theater does. Basically they sit around and think up music that is considered impossible to perform and then perform it.

Check out Liquid Tension Experiment... it is all instrumental stuff and is akin to some of the stuff Dream Theater does. Basically they sit around and think up music that is considered impossible to perform and then perform it.

It's probably similar due to it having several members from Dream Theater in it.

Loathe as I am to pimping out Nerdrock bands, Dragonforce rule, and should be checked out, if just to hear Herman Li wank that guitar....

I strongly suggest Painkiller, Jazz Death Metal and fairly abysmal, but I love it all the same.

I'm also going to suggest Baby Dayliner, my current favourite band. Fairly obscure, but excellent all the same. They're kind of synthpop/electronica and fronted by someone who sounds like the bastard offspring of Adam Green and Ian Curtis, with some hip hop influences too, and fairly surreal lyrics. They're excellent in every way.

I strongly suggest Painkiller, Jazz Death Metal and fairly abysmal, but I love it all the same.

I'm also going to suggest Baby Dayliner, my current favourite band. Fairly obscure, but excellent all the same. They're kind of synthpop/electronica and fronted by someone who sounds like the bastard offspring of Adam Green and Ian Curtis, with some hip hop influences too, and fairly surreal lyrics. They're excellent in every way.

I know I just keep tagging on bands to the end of people's lists, but Ephel Duath are a good example of the Jazz/Death Metal mix, and well worth checking out.