WCW 2000

user posted image

"Sometimes, you have to take a step backwards before you can move forward."

It was early April of the year 2000 and WCW was in a state of panic. Business had been bad, the booking decisions were being questioned left and right, and the locker room morale was at an all time low. I stood in the middle of the room, looking at five very familiar faces. Vince Russo, the former head of WWF's creative team, the supposed genius, and generally an asshole. Next to him sat Eric Bischoff, the man who was responsible for WCW's incredible success, but ultimately, the man also responsible for it's inevitable demise. To say he was egodriven is like saying Andre was just a tad oversized. Then there was Kevin Sullivan, who may have been the worst of the bunch. Besides being arrogant, his ideas stemmed from the old days of wrestling and you couldn't convince him to change for anything. Bill Banks wasn't bad, he kept fairly quiet and didn't seem to mistreat anyone. He hadn't come up with anything great, but he also didn't cost himself a job by being an idiot, like Ed Ferrara. To me, the savior of the group was Terry Taylor, who despite having some horrible times as a wrestler, kept his head high and managed to come through it all as a well respected associate. Very polite and pretty intelligent, I was hoping he'd get a chance for more power in the near future. They were all there, looking at me, wondering what this was all about. My boss, Ted Turner, had me type up an official notice for everyone on the committee. I held it in my hands and I knew as soon as I put the copies down on the table....things were going to get very interesting.

To All Staff Members:

The current condition of World Championship Wrestling is unacceptable.  After much deliberation and after consulting those around me, I feel that there is no solution in sight.  Therefore, drastic measures must be taken.  Effective Monday, April 10th, WCW will be officially starting over.  All champions will be stripped of their titles and those wrestlers who need to be re-packaged, will be.  While I do expect an outlash from the fans over this initially, I believe in the long run, they will appreciate that we're doing what we need to do in order to better the product.  At this point in time, it's too late to cancel the upcoming pay per view event, Spring Stampede.  Therefore, it must go on as originally scheduled.  This leaves you with one week's worth of shows to set it up with.  I know it seems impossible, but you're the best of the best, now it's time to start proving that.  Eric and Vince will head up the creative process and my assistant, Damian, will be present at every meeting, every event, pretty much everywhere.  His detailed notes will get back to me on a daily basis and I will make changes as I see necessary.  Gentlemen, understand that the future of an entire company is now in your hands. 

Ted Turner

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

April 10th Edition of Monday Nitro from Denver, Colorado

The first image you see is the empty ring with seven gold belts hanging on the top rope closest to the camera. The WCW World, US, TV, Hardcore, Cruiserweight, and Tag Team Titles are all hanging there, leaving everyone in the Denver crowd to wonder why. The music of Vince Russo hits and the man who's been responsible for the consistent demise of WCW since his arrival steps out from behind the curtains to a less than pleased crowd. Russo doesn't care what they think, waving them off and making record time getting to the ring. He steps in and picks up a microphone, walking along the belts, looking at each one, stopping at the World Title in the middle.

Russo: Why are all tha belts hangin in the ring? Because nobody deserves to have them, not one damn person. So I took em away. I stripped every damn belt in this company, they're now vacated and will be that way until one of those jokes in the back earns one.

The boos are still coming from the crowd. Not sure if it's because they liked the champions or they don't like Russo badmouthing the talent. Maybe they just hate Russo. That's understandable.

Russo: As of right now, WCW is starting ova! And we're gonna do things my way, the only way.

Russo stops for a minute to yell off mic at one of the fans, drawing more heat.

Russo: Ya see, there's only one man with powa aroound here, only one man who makes the decisions, and that's me. I can do what I want, when I want-

Russo's egoboosting speech is interrupted by semi-familiar music and much to my surprise, Eric Bischoff is greeted with cheers when he steps out on stage and starts his walk to the ring. Russo doesn't look happy, but he's definately not surprised either when Bischoff takes the microphone out of his hand.

Bischoff: Now I know you're not the brightest crayon in the box, but even you know that you're not alone here Russo. Nobody would ever leave you in charge by yourself. You were in the same meeting that I was in last week, you heard the same announcement. Me and you Russo, we're in this together, fifty-fifty.

That prompted a cheer from the crowd, which is still a surprise to me. When did Bischoff become a fan favorite?

Bischoff: You may have managed to strip the titles without me knowing, but I'll be damned if you make these people wait to see a new champion crowned.

Russo picks up another mic that was slid into the ring. Great, now we can have dueling mics with our new co-leaders.

Russo: What the hell are ya talkin bout Bischoff?

Bischoff: Well, I just finished making my first decision. I've created a tournament, with sixteen men. The winner of this tournament will become the new WCW World Heavyweight Champion. And when I say that we're not wasting any time, I mean it.

Russo: What?! You can't crown a champion tonight!

Bischoff: No, I can't. The champion won't be crowned until Spring Stampede on Sunday. But the tournament....it starts tonight!

Another huge reaction from the crowd, but Russo's furious.

Bischoff: I'd recommend finding a good seat Russo because the first match, it's next!

More screaming from the fans prompts a smile from Bischoff and the show heads to it's first commercial break.

~~~COMMERCIAL BREAK~~~

Coming back from commercial, there's a sign that says "I'd Rather Be At Raw". That's what we're up against folks, things aren't getting any easier. Eric Bischoff and Mark Madden make their presence felt for the first time. How exactly did madden end up on Nitro anyway?

Tony Schiavone: Welcome everybody, to a very special edition of WCW Monday Nitro, live from Denver, Colorado! I'm Tony Schiavone alongside Mark Madden. Mark, we have no champions.

Mark Madden: Who needs em! I'll be champion Tony.

Tony Schiavone: Well, I don't think that's gonna happen, but we will have a new one by next Sunday.

Mark Madden: C'mon, me and you, tag team champs.

Tony Schiavone: You do what you want, but I'm not going anywhere near that ring.

Mark Madden: This whole no champions thing, I don't know what brought it on, but if it shakes things up, I'm all for it.

Tony Schiavone: We don't have to wait long to get our first participant for Spring Stampede. It's Sting taking on Dustin Rhodes and it's right now!

Sting vs. Dustin Rhodes

The bell rings and the two lock up, Sting backing Rhodes into the ropes. Sting manages to get out of the lock up but it's not a clean break. Rhodes' right hand connects with Sting's head, then Rhodes grabs Sting, turns and sends him through the ropes to the outside. Rhodes slides under the bottom rope, pounding Sting in the back of his head, then pulling him to his feet and resting him against the guardrail. Rhodes yells out to the crowd, getting some boos, then charges for a clothesline but gets nothing except the cold steel of the guardrail. Sting rolls Rhodes back into the ring, sliding in himself. Sting with an atomic drop on Rhodes, then lifts him back with a side suplex! Sting back to his feet, extending Rhodes' leg so he can drive his boot to the inside of his knee. Sting with another kick, then twists Rhodes' leg around his own, putting pressure on the kneecap. Sting lets Rhodes get to his feet, then goes for a vertical suplex. Rhodes blocks the attempt, then reverses it, taking Sting into the air before letting him drop to the mat. Rhodes delivers an elbow to Sting's chest, gets up and does it again. Before the third, Rhodes bounces off the ropes and goes for a jumping elbow. Sting's able to roll out of the way and Rhodes gets to his feet, holding his elbow. Sting with a kick to the midsection, then a right hand, a back chop, and another right hand. Sting sends Rhodes hard into the corner, then waits for the fans anticipation to build up before delivering a huge stingers splash! Rhodes falls face first to the mat and Sting's right there to lock him up in the scorpion death lock. Try as he might, Rhodes has no chance of escape and immediately taps out!

Winner: Sting

Sting celebrates while Nitro fades to the back where a loud banging could be heard from outside a door in the hallway. When Mean Gene Okerlund, being the brave little man that he is, opened the door and found Sid Vicious slamming his hand into the steel of the locker. He sees Okerlund and stops, turning and staring a hole through his bald head.

Okerlund: Sid, I know you've got to be upset by the actions of one Vince Russo-

Vicious: Upset? UPSET?!

Vicious clenches his teeth and smiles through them.

Vicious: Oh, I'm not upset....I'm FURIOUS! Vince Russo wants to screw....with me? I've beat everyone that stepped up to me, I became the champion and he just strips it. HE TOOK MY TITLE!

Another chuckle as the voice goes quiet.

Vicious: But I'm not upset Mean Gene Okerlund, I'm not upset because vengeance...will...BE MINE!

Vicious squints and clenches his teeth, then turns and punches the locker again while the scene fades back to commercial

~~~COMMERCIAL BREAK~~~

Coming back from break, Schiavone and Madden get us ready for the next match, a non tournament tag match.

Three Count (Karagias/Moore) vs. Harlem Heat 2000

These two teams couldn't possibly be any more different, could they? Evan started off locking up with Big T, who shoved him to the ground and laughed. Evan stood back up, pretended to charge Big T, then slid by him. When T turned around to catch him, all he caught was a dropkick that sent him stumbling. Evan thought he had momentum and went for a cross body, but T caught him and fell forward, squashing him. T stood up and watched while Evan tagged in Shannon Moore. Moore motioned for T to bring it, then dropkicked him in his kneecap. Moore followed that with a diving clothesline that knocked T to the mat! Moore quickly went up to the top turnbuckle, but by the time he got there, T was getting to his feet. Moore flipped off the turnbuckle and kinda crashed into T. T stumbled back into his partner, who tagged himself in. Moore stood up kind of woozy and Stevie Ray hit a full nelson slam on him, driving him seat first into the mat. He went for the pin, but Karagias came in and hit an elbow drop on Stevie. Stevie stood up and Karagias went for a hurricanrana. Stevie held onto him, then turned and drove him into the mat with a piledriver. Stevie turned back around and tagged in Big T, then grabbed Moore. He sent him into T, who lifted Shannon for a spinebuster. Stevie came off the ropes, kinda jumped, and turned it into a combination clothesline/spinebuster, Stevie providing the extra force to drive Moore to the canvas. The three count was inevitable.

Winner Harlem Heat 2000

In their dressing room, Kidman seems visibly upset while Torrie is playing the role of listener.

Kidman: Can you believe that? Sixteen wrestlers. Not four, not eight, but sixteen and I don't even get one of the spots. They don't think I'm one of the top sixteen in WCW? This is ridiculous.

Wilson: I know it babe, you definately should be out there.

Kidman: And what's worse is the guys they put in there instead of me. The Harris Brothers? Brian Knobbs? The Artist? I beat these guys while sleeping, they're not championship material.

Wilson: I'm sure you'll get another chance.

Kidman: ANd then, to put the icing on the cake, they give a spot to that damn sunburnt dinosaur, Hulk Hogan. He's afraid to even face me, but they give him a chance to win yet another belt? He's had chances since before I was born.

Wilson: But what can you do Billy?

Kidman: What can I do?

Kidman pauses and smiles.

Kidman: I'll show you what I can do.

Torrie looks at him, questioning what he might be up to while the cameras fade to commercial.

~~~COMMERCIAL BREAK~~~

As if Kidman was scheduling the show, The Wall stood in the ring and his opponent, Hulk Hogan, was making his way down the aisle. Amazing how conveniently that works out, isn't it?

Hulk Hogan vs. The Wall

Wall attacked Hogan while he was playing to the crowd, hammering him in the shoulderblades, but Hogan being Hogan, he shook it off and turned to The Wall, shaking his finger in his face. Wall went for a punch, but Hogan blocked it and fired back with consecutive right hands of his own, backing Wall into the ropes, then using one final one to send Wall flipping over the top to the outside. Hogan ripped off his shirt and played to the crowd while Wall made his way back inside. Hogan took control of him, running Wall face first into the top turnbuckle. Hogan with an irish whip sent Wall to the opposite corner, Wall hitting back first. Hogan made sure he stayed there, opening his palm up, then slapping the chest of Wall. Wall's eyes went wide on impact and Hogan hit him with another open hand slap to the chest, which Wall smiled at. Hogan's eyes went wide as he was grabbed around the throat by Wall. Wall used his other hand and lifted Hogan into the air with a gorilla press, holding him before dropping him side first to the mat. Hogan clutched at his back, even though he landed on his side, and Wall pulled him to his feet, putting Hogan face first in the corner. Wall bent down and drove his shoulder into the small of Hogan's back, backed up and did it again, then backed up and did it again. Wall kept his shoulder in the small of Hogan's back, but now lifted him up so Hogan was actually laying across his shoulder with Wall pulling him down for extra pressure. Hogan was screaming out in pain but wouldn't give up, so Wall dropped him to the mat. Wall saw Hogan laying on the mat and went for Hogan's patented leg drop. Hogan rolled out of the way and Wall hit the mat hard. Hogan got to his knees and started to hulk up. He got to his feet, but as he did, Billy Kidman was making his way down to the ring. Kidman went straight to the ring announcer, grabbing his chair. Hogan noticed him by now and when Kidman slid the chair into the ring, both Hogan and referee Mark Johnson came over to Kidman, stopping him from entering the ring. But while they were pre-occupied, Wall picked the chair up. Hogan turned around and got crowned. Kidman hopped off the apron while Wall tossed the chair. Johnson turned around and found Wall laying across Hogan. He had no alternative but to make the three count and let Wall advance.

Winner: The Wall

Schiavone talked about how this just isn't right, but what isn't right is that we still have to listen to him and Madden on Nitro. Another commercial break saves my ears.

~~~COMMERCIAL BREAK~~~

Back again and "Mean" Gene Okerlund's keeping busy in the back. First, Sid Vicious. Now, the former United States champion, Jeff Jarrett.

Okerlund: Jarrett, they made you surrender the US Title-

Jarrett: Let's get thangs straight right there baldie. Nobody, and I mean nobody, makes Jeff Jarrett do anything. They asked me to give up the United States championship in order to become the next WCW World Champion.

Okerlund: They asked you?

Jarrett: That's right. When you're born as the golden child, that's the kind of respect you get. And when they know that you can be the savior of the company, they treat you right.

Okerlund: Well, you don't have a match tonight but on Thursday, you've got an interesting match up when you take on the hardcore, Brian Knobbs.

Jarrett: Hardcore? You know that means to me baldie? That just means the idiot doesn't know how to wrestle, so he relies on weapons.

Okerlund: Like a guitar?

Jarrett: Watch it.

Okerlund: In your opinion, who's going to be the toughest to beat in this tournament?

Jarrett: Me.

Jarrett looks at Okerlund, fakes like he's going to hit him, then laughs and walks away while the scene fades to the ring.

Vampiro vs. Sid

Vampiro got a decent crowd reaction, but it was obvious that Sid's the fan favorite. Vampiro stalked Sid, looking for an opening, but when he stepped in, Sid brought a forearm down on Vampiro's back. Sid shoved Vampiro to the ground and Vampiro rolled under the bottom rope, trying to put together a plan to overcome the size of Sid. Vampiro rolled back in and Sid went to grab him. Vampiro managed to duck under Sid's arm, then kicked him in the midsection when he turned around. Vampiro with another kick to the midsection, then backed into the ropes, came off and drove Sid's head to the mat with a facebuster. Vampiro backs into the ropes again, comes off and takes to the air with a splash, landing on the chest of Sid. Vampiro stays in place for the cover, but Sid's able to power out just as the ref's hand hits the second time. Vampiro stood back and watched Sid get to his feet, then tried to bodyslam the former champ. He couldn't get Sid off his feet, but Sid was able to land another forearm, then picked Vampiro high into the air and slammed him down. Vampiro gets back up, clutching his back, and Sid rammed his knee into Vamp's midsection. Sid picked Vampiro up and delivered a sideslam, staying put for the pin but only getting a two count. Vampiro scurried to his feet and Sid attempted to grab him, but Vamp ducked away. Vamp jumped on Sid's back, but Sid just turned around and backed himself into the corner, sandwiching Vampiro. Sid fired Vampiro into the opposite corner and when he came stumbling out, Sid grabbed his throat, lifted Vamp into the air, then drove him to the ground with a vicious chokeslam. Sid made the cover and easily got the three.

Winner: Sid Vicious

Cameras go to the back and a trashcan comes flying across the scene, followed seconds later by Hulk Hogan, who picks up a chair and tosses that too. He's screaming the name of Kidman over and over, but other than that, he's just tossing things around left and right. A commercial break interrupts the mess.

~~~COMMERCIAL BREAK~~~

And there they are, the two braintrusts behind this whole starting over gig. Vince Russo and Eric Bischoff are sitting in the back, each with a cup of coffee.

Bischoff: Ya know, you really stirred things up with this whole belt stripping thing.

Russo: Yea well, you were right there with a plan, weren't ya? As usual.

Bischoff: Someone's got to keep you in line.

Russo: So what else you have planned boy genius?

Bischoff: What do you mean?

Russo: Well, there's six titles, you've only solved one of them.

Bischoff: Oh. Well, I figure we'll probably work the US Title into this same tourney.

Russo: And the tag titles? Cruiserweight titles? Hardcore Title? TV Title?

Bischoff: I tell ya what Russo. On Thunder, I'll make an announcement at the beginning of the show and let you, along with everyone else, know what the plan is for every single belt.

Russo: Thunda, huh?

Bischoff: Thunder.

Russo: Can't wait.

With that, the scene fades to the main event.

Ric Flair vs. Booker T

A lock up gives Flair the advantage once he raised his knee to Booker's midsection. Flair with a quick vertical suplex, then gave his usual shout as he pulled Book to his feet. Flair held Book's head in place and delivered a straight right jab to the face. Flair with another right, then sends Booker into the ropes, putting his head down for a back body drop. Booker grabs Flair and drives the back of his head to the mat. Booker up to his feet about the same time Flair is and runs him over with a clothesline. Flair back to his feet and Book whips him into the corner so hard that Flair flips up and over the top turnbuckle, landing on the apron. Flair runs to the adjacent corner and climbs up to the top, but before he can execute anything, Book lifts him into the air and tosses him to the middle of the ring. Booker T goes for the pin, but Flair's able to kick out. Book and Flair both get to their feet. Booker T with a scoop slam, then comes off the ropes, looking for a falling knee. Flair moves and Book knees the mat. Flair to his feet and drives a boot to the back of Booker's knee, then again, and again. Booker finally stays on one knee and Flair knees him in the back of the head, knocking him down completely. Flair works over Booker's kene on the mat, twisting it and putting pressure on it, then watches as Booker tries getting to his feet, a slight limp noticable. Flair stops him from hobbling around by slicing his chest with a back chop that prompts the entire crowd to whoooo. Flair with two more, then sends Booker into the ropes, locking in a sleeper hold on his way back. Booker didn't give the move time to take effect, backing up into the corner until Flair finally released it. Flair charged at Booker in the center of the ring and got a samoan drop for his trouble. Booker T got back up, waiting for Flair. When Flair got to his feet, Book tried to decapitate him with an axe kick, then dropped to the mat with a cover. The crowd counted along to three, meaning Booker T has advanced to Spring Stampede.

Winner: Booker T

Nitro fades out.

I enjoyed your AWA diary, and this one seems to be off to a great start.

I was suprised at the calmness of the first meeting, but it had a nice flow. The tournament is a good idea, and I agree with most of the choices, although obviously some champions are just out of places (See: Knobbs, Brian). I exspect one or two to get an upset, so hopefully they can. A nice shock is always good.

Show seemed pretty well focused on the WCW world title tournament, aside from a filler tag match, but it's good as that is the biggest part of the show. Glad to see all the people I wanted go over (Yes, even Sid :shifty: ) and hopefully some good booking can continue.

Artist for champion :pervert:

April 12th Edition of Thunder from Colorado Springs, Colorado

The opening montage plays and then the music of one half of the men in control, Eric Bischoff, hits. He said he'd have an announcement regarding the title situations and it looks like he's holding true to his word. He gets a small pop from the crowd as he steps into the ring, straightening out his gray suit and picking up a microphone that was left for him.

Eric Bischoff: As promised, I'm here to fix the mess that Vince Russo created when he vacated every single title belt we have. We've already got a tournament in place for the WCW World title, that much you know. But what you don't know is that the third and fourth place finishers in this World Title tournament will wrestle in next Monday Nitro's main event for the WCW United States Championship!

A pop for the mention of the US Title and the fact that they know when it'll be decided.

Eric Bischoff: Also next Monday, the night after Spring Stampede, there will be an eight team match where as soon as one team is eliminated, another team will take their place and the last team left in the ring will be crowned the new WCW World Tag Team champions. But Nitro isn't getting all of the excitement. Next Wednesday on Thunder, there will be both a Cruiserweight battle royal as well as a hardcore invitational, where each respective champion will be crowned.

More cheap pops for the mentioning of titles being decided.

Eric Bischoff: And last but not least, the WCW Television title. The title that was once de-activated, then resurrected out of a trash can. The WCW TV Title will be decided after a series of round robin matches. The participants have not been determined yet, but the title will be awarded at our May pay per view event, Slamboree. Now, I do believe we have a World Title tournament going on tonight, let the games begin!

Bischoff drops the mic and Thunder fades to it's first commercial.

~~~COMMERCIAL BREAK~~~

Coming back from commercial, Scott Steiner is stepping through the ropes, wearing his chain link suit and shades.

Mike Tenay: Scott Steiner, one of the most dangerous men in the business today. How in the World did he get matched up with the Artist?

Bobby Heenan: It's called bad luck Tenay. And Artist obviously has it.

Mike Tenay: And what Scott Steiner has is a temper. He looks like he has something to say.

He demands a microphone and you'd have to be a fool not to give him one.

Scott Steiner: Listen up! That idiot Vince Russo wants to put all titles up for grabs? To me, he might as well just hand the *beep* World Title to the Big Bad Booty Daddy. He wants to make me go through each one of these *beep*es, then that's what I'll do. Bring this little piece of crap out here to get his ass kicked.

Steiner does his usual warm up routine, push-ups, jumping jacks, all while watching The Artist slowly walk to the ring, accompanied by the lovely Paisley. He slides in and sizes up his opponent before the bell rings.

The Artist vs. Scott Steiner

Artist locks up with Steiner and gets put on his backside, nearly out of the ring. The crowd seems to have all taken a bathroom break at the same time. Can't really blame them though. Artist again to his feet and tries to surprise Steiner by charging at him, but Steiner just absorbs the barrage of right hands before hitting Artist with one of his own, knocking him down again. Paisley gets up on the apron, yelling at Steiner, which is enough of a distraction for Artist to kick Steiner in the back of his knee, then uses his newfound height advantage to punch Steiner in the side of the head a few times. Artist quickly up to the second turnbuckle and when Steiner gets to his feet, Artist comes off with a double axe handle, taking him back down to his knees. Artist in position to DDT Steiner and has his head held, but yells to the crowd and winks at Paisley, allowing Steiner to lift Artist into the air, then run him back first into the corner. Steiner stays there and drives repeated shoulders into Artist, then sends him hard into the opposite corner. Artist hits and the impact bounces him back out, where Steiner catches him in a spinning belly to belly suplex, planting him hard. Artist barely able to get to his feet, even with Steiner just watching him and waiting. Artist gets sent into the ropes and Steiner delivers a stiff clothesline, kisses his bicep, then drops an elbow. Steiner gets a two count, then pulls Artist up, not wanting it to be done just yet. Steiner picks Artist up with a gorilla press, then starts his workout, lifting Artist up and down six times before letting him fall to the mat. Steiner finally locks in the Steiner Recliner and Artist wastes no time in giving it up.

Winner: Scott Steiner

Steiner looks Paisley up and down, then shows himself off while she attends to Artist. Steiner steps out of the ring and the show goes to the back where both of the Harris Brothers are in the back, playing rock, paper, scissors.

Ron: I win.

Don: What? Rock beats scissors.

Ron: But I'd stab you and you'd drop the rock.

Don: You don't win.

Ron: Why can't we both wrestle tonight? We each had a belt, we should each have a spot.

Don: Yea, but they don't see it that way. At least one of us will get a chance.

Ron: That's not good enough. We're twins, we shouldn't be seperated.

A light bulb flashes over Don's head, cartoon style. Obviously, he has an idea.

Don: You're right Ron. We're twins.

Ron: Duh, we've known that for a while now.

Don: Shut up you fool. Listen...

Don starts to whisper in Ron's ear and the scene fades to commercial.

~~~COMMERCIAL BREAK~~~

Thunder fades back into the announce crew as Jim Duggan's making his way down to the ring.

Mike Tenay: One of the true good guys in the business, Hacksaw Jim Duggan.

Bobby Heenan: But this dummy should never be competing for the World Title. That belt's for the elite.

Mike Tenay: Duggan's been around a long time and has won a lot of matches.

Bobby Heenan: Eh, he's an idiot Tenay and if you think he belongs, then you're an idiot too.

Jim Duggan vs. Ron Harris

Duggan plays to the crowd before turning towards Don Harris on the outside, pointing at him in such a way that I'm sure Don's trembling. The bell rings and Don attacks from behind, hammering Duggan's upper back. He sends Duggan into the ropes and Duggan comes off with a full head of steam. The two run into each other, neither man moving. Harris motions for Duggan to bring it on and after a quick "Hoooo" to the crowd, Duggan bounces off the ropes, this time knocking Harris backwards when he runs into him. Duggan follows that up with his clublike right hands, Harris' head being rocked to the side by each one. Duggan's feeling froggish and decides to leap. He steps back to the ring, raising his hand and giving another "Hooo" to the crowd, then turns and charges at Ron right by the ropes, looking to clothesline him over. Ron moves out of the way and Don pulls the top rope down from the outside. Duggan can't put on the brakes and goes sailing over the top. Billy Silverman scolds Don, but only until Ron pulls Silverman aside, complaining about something. Well, pretending to anyway. Really, he's distracting gullible Billy while Don puts in work on Duggan, stomping him, running him into the guardrail, then finally sliding him back into the ring. Ron goes for a pin, but Duggan's able to kick out at two. Harris pulls Duggan to his feet, delivering a shoulderbreaker, then trying for a pin again and again coming up one second short. Harris sends Duggan into the corner, no, Duggan reverses it and sends Harris into the corner. Ron bounces off hard and Duggan lifts him up and down with a back body drop. Harris back up and Duggan bodyslams him to the mat, shouts out "Hooo", then grabs the two by four from the corner. Silverman rushes over, telling Duggan he can't use it. While this is going on, Ron Harris is rolled out of the ring by his brother and Don takes his place. Duggan drops the two by four and gets down in his three point stance. As soon as Don gets to his feet, Duggan charges but Don, being fresh, puts his foot up and takes Duggan down with a big boot! Don pulls Duggan off the mat and picks him up, planting him into the ring with a piledriver, then making the cover. Silverman's right there for the three count and the Harris' pull off some tricky stuff.

Winner: Ron Harris

Backstage, the camera starts on Diamond Dallas Page, eliciting a pop from the crowd. As the pan continues, Jeff Jarrett comes into the picture with his guitar in hand, walking right up to Page.

Jeff Jarrett: You're wasting your time even stepping in that ring Page. That title belongs to me, everyone knows that.

DDP starts to stretch side to side before responding.

DDP: That so?

Jeff Jarrett: Yea, that's so.

DDP: Listen clownboy, I've got a match coming up. You got beef, then settle it with me in the ring.

Jeff Jarrett: Suit yourself Page. Just don't get in my way.

DDP: No Jarrett, you don't get in my way, or you just might feel...the....bang!

DDP breaks the diamond shape of his hands and Jarrett walks off with a scowl on his face while Thunder heads to commercials.

~~~COMMERCIAL BREAK~~~

Thunder fades back into the announce crew.

Mike Tenay: According to Jeff Jarrett, this title's already his.

Bobby Heenan: According to him and anyone else with a brain. Jarrett's polished, he's been groomed for this. This is his time.

Mike Tenay: Brian Knobbs will provide a challenge with his unorthodox style.

Bobby Heenan: Unorthodox? Or sloppy?

Jeff Jarrett vs. Brian Knobbs

Jarrett goes to lock up with Knobbs and Knobbs forces him back into the corner, where he then rapidly delivers forearm after forearm into the chest of Jarrett. Very unorthodox, but gets a good reaction from the crowd. Knobbs walks to the middle of the ring, turns, and charges Jarrett only to have Jarrett lift his knees up and spin Knobbs around on impact. Jarrett with a shoulderblock to the back of Knobbs' knees to take him down, then puts the boots to the hardcore champ, stomping his entire body. Jarrett lifts up one of Knobbs legs, then slams it knee first into the mat. Jarrett lifts up Knobbs leg again, then again drives the knee into the mat. Jarrett drags Knobbs over to the ropes, then slides under the bottom. He pulls Knobbs leg over the bottom rope, but Knobbs was able to kick Jarrett off, sending him stumbling into the rail. Knobbs rolls outside and joins him, running Jarrett's head into the top of the guardrail, then sending him into the ringsteps. Knobbs is definately taking the hardcore approach to this one, ignoring the warning from the man in stripes. Knobbs picks Jarrett up, striking him with right hands before rolling Jarrett into the ring. Jarrett stops Knobbs attack with a kick to the midsection, then lifts Knobbs into the air and falls back, Knobbs face hitting the mat first. Jarrett can't get the pin and lets Knobbs back up to his feet. Knobbs with a thumb to the eye, then rolls back outside, grabbing a folding steel chair and sliding back in. Jarrett stumbles over to his corner. Mark Johnson fights with Knobbs for the steel chair, turning Knobbs around so he's back to Jarrett. Johnson finally gets the chair and turns to hand it to someone outside the ring, but that allows Jarrett to grab his guitar and smash it over the head of Knobbs! Jarrett throws the evidence out and Johnson turns back around, seeing Jarrett hooking Knobbs' leg. Without seeing the guitar, he can't do anything else but count Knobbs down for the three count.

Winner: Jeff Jarrett

Jarrett wins and the scene fades to commercial.

~~~COMMERCIAL BREAK~~~

The camera starts off zoomed in on a very luscious looking calf. As it works it's way up to the knee , then the thigh, you see a black skirt and as it continues, you finally see the beautiful face of Miss Hancock. As the camera pans out further, you see Kid Romeo and Elix Skipper walking up to her, both wearing matching red tights. She looks them both up and down with a smile.

Miss Hancock: Can I help you boys?

Romeo smiles himself as he addresses her.

Kid Romeo: We need your help.

Miss Hancock: Oh?

Elix Skipper: We saw what you did for Los Fabulos, you got them to win and Miss Hancock, we want to win.

Miss Hancock: And you think I can make you boys winners?

Kid Romeo: Or at least look good trying.

Miss Hancock: Well, you have a match tonight, right?

Kid Romeo: Yea, against those psychos David Flair and Crowbar.

Miss Hancock: I'll be watching that. Let's consider this...your audition.

She walks away, knowing both of them are watching her ass as she does. She turns back to them and they pick their jaws up off the floor.

Miss Hancock: And good luck.

She smiles one more time, then the scene fades to the ring.

Shannon Moore vs. Juventud Guerrera

Moore and Juvi circle each other. The lock up leads to Juvi kneeing Moore, then executing a snap suplex, Moore landing stiffly on the mat. Juvi lets Moore to his feet, then plants him with a scoop slam before bouncing off the ropes and landing a sliding leg drop across Moore's throat twice. Juvi goes for the early pin, but only gets a two count. Juvi sends Moore into the ropes, lifting him into the air with a release gorilla press, but Moore twists it in the air and turns it into a dropkick, knocking Juvi backwards to the ropes. Moore follows up with a flying clothesline and both men go over the top rope. Moore's up to his feet and uses the guardrail as a springboard for a moonsault, but he misses the moonsault and Juvi rolls back into the ring. As soon as Shannon gets up, Juvi lifts himself over the top again with a corkscrew plancha, taking Moore down. Juvi rolls Shannon into the ring, then slides in himself. Shannon's barely to his knees when Juvi nails him with a running dropkick to the side of the head. J uvi makes another pin attempt, but only gets a two. Shannon starts a comeback when Juvi whips him into the corner. He runs up to the second, then turns and catches Juvi with a crossbody. Moore hooks the leg, but can't get the three on just that. Moore watches Juvi get to his feet, then drives him headfirst into the mat with an implant DDT, not going for a pin this time. Instead, Shannon goes up top and attempts a senton splash that misses by only a few inches. Moore slowly gets back to his feet and Juvi kicks him in the gut, then finishes him off with the Juvi Driver. Juvi hooks the leg and gets the three count.

Winner: Juventud Guerrera

Scene fades to commercial.

~~~COMMERCIAL BREAK~~~

Tenay and Heenan's conversation is interrupted by Thunder returning to the air.

Mike Tenay: This next match isn't for any titles, it isn't for respect, but Romeo and Skipper can definately benefit from a win.

Bobby Heenan: That's putting it lightly. If they win, they could get the services of the beautiful Miss Hancock. I know what I'd do with her services.

Mike Tenay: Yea yea, why don't you get out there and compete then?

Bobby Heenan: I leave that to those who need to prove themselves.

Kid Romeo/Elix Skipper vs. David Flair/Crowbar

Romeo starts things off against David Flair. Flair wins the lock-up, putting Romeo in a side headlock. Romeo's able to use a go behind and puts Flair in a hammerlock, then uses a seated dropkick to the back of Flair, driving him chest first into the corner. Romeo quickly climbs up top for the ten punch, but Flair's easily able to shove him off, then spreads his legs and drives an elbow to the inside of Romeo's thigh. Flair bridges over Romeo, pulling his legs but Romeo's able to roll out before the three count. Flair tags in Crowbar, who's eyes go wide as he stepped into the ring. He bounces off the ropes and looks for a flying spin kick, but Romeo's able to duck it and Crowbar lands awkwardly. Romeo dives over and makes the tag to Skipper, who springboards off the top rope and dropkicks Crowbar. Skipper tries to follow that up with a leaping legdrop, but Crowbar rolls away from that, stands up, and kicks Skipper in the midsection. Crowbar drops a legdrop over the middle of Skipper's back, then pulls Skipper to his feet. Crowbar hooks Skipper, then bends backwards and puts him on the mat with a bridging northern lights suplex for a two count. Crowbar sends Skipper into the ropes and Skipper comes off the ropes, surprising Crowbar with a head scissors takedown, Crowbar sliding to the outside but tagging Flair on the way. Skipper never saw the tag and leaped to the outside with a springboard crossbody. Crowbar turned it into a powerslam, then rolled Skipper back in. Kid Romeo, thinking he was doing good by keeping Crowbar on the outside, lept off the apron and hit a crossbody of his own. In the ring though, David Flair locked Skipper in the figure four leglock, nowhere near as good as Ric's, but it was good enough. Kid Romeo slid in and tried to elbow Flair, with Flair moving out of the way. Flair and Romeo traded right hands with Flair winning, then using a knife edge chop to the chest. Flair tosses Romeo to the outside and Crowbar's back on the apron. Crowbar comes over the top rope with a flip, landing on the chest of Skipper. Flair's right there to make the cover and get the win.

Winner: Flair/Crowbar

Scene shows Miss Hancock in the back, watching the match on a monitor. She shakes her head in disappointment at the outcome, but watches Skipper and Romeo, thinking over their request.

Miss Hancock: Maybe they're worth a shot.

She stands and heads off, presumably to meet the duo as the scene fades to commercial.

~~~COMMERCIAL BREAK~~~

Again, back to the announce booth.

Mike Tenay: Perhaps the most anticipated match of the qualifying round, Lex Luger and Diamond Dallas Page. Both men have what it takes to be champion, but only one will make it to Spring Stampede.

Bobby Heenan: Lex has been there and done that, held World Titles before. He'll get it done again.

Lex Luger vs. Diamond Dallas Page

Luger wins the lock up, backing Page up, then slapping in a side head lock. Page pushes Luger off into the ropes but Luger knocks him down with a shoulderblock, then slaps in a basic armbar on the mat. Luger pulls and twists on the arm, putting his hand on Page's shoulder to increase the pressure. Page starts getting to his feet and Luger goes along, twisting the arm of Page, then pulling him into a shoulderblock, not releasing the arm. Luger drivers his shoulder into Page's again, then uses a scoop slam to put Page on the mat. Luger drops down to the mat, this time putting Page in a reverse chin lock. The crowd's less than thrilled at this point, so Luger releases the chin lock and now drives right hands into the side of Page's neck before pulling him to his feet. Luger with a hammerlock on Page, but Page spins out of it, turning face to face with Luger, then delivering an awkward belly to belly suplex with a little bit of a jump for extra impact. Both men stay on the mat, Luger being the first to move after a few seconds. He gets up just as Page does, swinging a right hand. Page gets his knee up into Luger's midsection before the punch connects and then Page rocks Luger with a right of his own, another right, then a spinning clothesline that drives Luger into the mat! Page slowly gets to his knees, then uses the top rope to pull himself up. Luger's up at the same time and Page with an inverted atomic drop followed up by a DDT and a cover. Luger barely kicks out before the three count and Page is back on his feet, pulling Luger up with him. Page backs Luger up into the ropes, then sends him into the opposite ropes, taking him down with another clothesline. Luger gets back up and Page sends him into the corner, then charges in. Luger moves out of the way, then drives a forearm into the back of Page's head, pushing Page's face into the top turnbuckle. Luger lifts Page into the air and brings him over his knee with a gutbuster before attempting a pin and only getting a two. Luger back to his feet and sigals for the torture rack. Page stops Luger from pulling him to his feet by using a chinbreaker. Page is quick to hop back to his feet and with Luger's head already hanging forward, he's set up perfectly for the devestating diamond cutter! Page delivers and falls on top of Luger, getting the easy three count and moving onto Spring Stampede.

Winner: Diamond Dallas Page

Thunder ended with Page playing to the crowd.

WCW Saturday night had been postponed for the Braves home opener, so Spring Stampede was our next event. I knew the two shows going into Spring Stampede had been mediocre, but it was all part of the re-grouping process. Spring Stampede was where we would make our mark and then from there, we had to put our absolute best forth. It was now or never for WCW. The one night tournament featured the four guaranteed matches: Sid vs. Sting, The Wall vs. Booker T, Harris Bros vs. DDP, and Steiner vs. Jarrett. Who emerged at the end of it all, only time would tell.

Edited by Typical Phenom

• 3 weeks later...

April 16th- Spring Stampede live from Chicago, Illinois

The standard pyro is followed by a clip from last week's Monday Nitro where Russo announced that all titles were being stripped and that WCW was essentially starting over. Clip goes on to show Sid beating Vampiro, Sting beating Dustin Rhodes, The Wall beating Hogan with help from Kidman, Booker T going over on Ric Flair, The Harris Bros. pulling a switch-a-roo on Duggan, DDP beating Luger, Scott Steiner destroying The Artist, and Jeff Jarrett pinning Brian Knobbs. The clip shows the match-ups for the night, followed by an image of the WCW World Heavyweight Championship. It breaks up and the camera pans around the arena, getting various shots of the crowd, different signs, then at a front row seat where Shane Douglas is seated. After that, it moves onto the announce crew of Tony Schiavone, Mike Tenay, and Mark Madden.

Tony Schiavone: We always say to expect the unexpected, but I didn't expect Shane Douglas to be sitting front row.

Mark Madden: Think he had to pay full price for that or does he get a discount?

Mike Tenay: You've gotta remember, Shane wanted out of his WCW contract and then when that was granted, he decided he wanted to come back. The powers that be haven't let it happen yet, so right now, he's a man without a country so to speak.

Mark Madden: He may not have a country, but he's got a great seat.

Tony Schiavone: We'll have to see if we can find out what he's up to.

Mark Madden: He might just be here as a fan ya know. Everyone's dying to see this starting over thing work.

Tony Schiavone: It has been the talk of the wrestling world, but I have a hard time believing Shane Douglas is here purely as a fan.

Mike Tenay: I'm with you Tony. Wherever he goes, trouble seems to follow.

Tony Schiavone: Let's go ahead and take it to the ring, get this night of great action started and we'll send Mean Gene to try and catch a word with Shane Douglas.

Diamond Dallas Page vs. Don Harris

Ron Harris accompanied his brother down to the ring, which earned an early warning from Mickey Jay about interference and how it won't be tolerated. The crowd exploded when "It's Me, It's Me" came over the loud speakers and Diamond Dallas Page came out absolutely jacked, highfiving everyone on his way to the ring. He tosses his vest into the crowd and was ready to go. The two lock up and big Don Harris shows his strength advantage, backing Dallas up into the ropes. Mickey Jay makes sure Don has a clean break, but while he does, Ron punches through the ropes, hitting DDP in the back. DDP turns to yell at Ron and that allows Don to drive his shoulder into Page's back, then run his head right into the top turnbuckle. Page turns around and is met with a bodyslam from Harris, who follows it with a stiff elbow drop. A cover only gets a one count. Ron locks in a chin lock, but Dallas is able to get his foot on the ropes to break it. DDP stands up. Ron sends Page into the ropes, looking for a clothesline but Page ducks it! Page hits the opposite ropes with a full head of steam, but Don trips him up from the outside and DDP hits face first. Ron capitalizes, grabbing DDP by the head then suplexing him over for another one count. Mickey Jay checks on Page and Ron rolls to the outside of the ring. Ron and Don talk, Don rolls back in, unbeknownst to everyone else. DDP to his feetand locks up with Don, Don’s knee hits so hard that it lifts DDP into the air. Another major knee from Don, followed by an axe handle, knocking Page to mat. Page keeps fighting his way up though, so Don tosses him into the corner back first. Don moves slowly towards Page and is caught off guard when DDP grabs him and turns it around, putting Don back first in the corner. Page unloads right hands, then Ron jumps up on the apron and pulls him to the mat by his hair. Referee admonishes Ron, then checks on Page. Ron slides in, Don slides out. Page with a right hand followed by another quick jab and a third, then Page spins around and drives Ron to the mat with a clothesline. Thunderous ovation. Ron gets back to his feet and Page with more right hands, then sandwiches him into the corner with a clothesline. Don’s seen enough and slides in, ignoring the warnings of the ref. Don gets caught with a spinning right hand from DDP, then Page with a huge hip toss elevates Don. Don wants more and gets another hip toss for his trouble but now it’s Ron who’s able to drive his shoulder into DDP’s kneel DDP clutches it immediately but Ron and Don both put in work, stomping his knee from every angle, no longer caring about the match. Mickey Jay calls for the bell, but the Harris Bros. are obviously doing someone else's bidding tonight. They continue to stomp away at Page, making sure he's less than one hundred percent for the rest of the night. The Harris Bros. finally roll out of the ring, leaving Page coughing while Mickey Jay checks on him.

Tony Schiavone: We knew that Don Harris was a long shot to win the title tonight, but they took themselves out of the competition, why?

Mark Madden: They did what they do best Tony, they beat someone up. Jarrett, Steiner, someone in the back, someone hired them and told them to just make sure Page can't go on.

Mike Tenay: The only people who might want Page out of the tourney are other competitors in the tourney. If I had to stake a guess, I'd say Jeff Jarrett Tony.

Tony Schiavone: If Jarrett's behind it, I'm sure he'll fess up later on. Right now though, Mean Gene Okerlund has Shane Douglas and it's time for us to get some answers.

The cameras pan over to Okerlund, standing on one side of the guardrail. On the other side, standing in front of his front row seat, is Shane Douglas, who gets a mixed reaction from the crowd.

Shane Douglas: Love me or hate me, at least you all know me.

Okerlund pulls his mic back and looks at Douglas.

Gene Okerlund: Shane Douglas, we all want to know, what are you doing here tonight?

Shane Douglas: What? A guy can't just come to Chicago and enjoy a pay per view event?

Gene Okerlund: A normal guy, sure, but not you Shane Douglas. What are you up to?

Shane Douglas: WCW doesn't want to re-instate my contract, that's fine. I don't need a contract to be here and I'll show them that I don't even need a contract to get things done.

Gene Okerlund: But what are you trying to get done?

Shane Douglas: A message will be sent tonight Okerlund. I may just be a fan, but there's someone else who's under a brand new WCW contract.

Gene Okerlund: Someone else? Who is this someone else Shane?

Shane Douglas: You'll find out soon. Right now, all you need to know is that he may be under contract to WCW, but he's most definately working...for me.

Shane turns slightly, grabbing a beer a fan was holding for him.

Shane Douglas: Now if you'll excuse me Gene, I'm just another fan trying to enjoy the show.

Douglas sits back down, sipping his beer and the cameras go back to the announce team.

Tony Schiavone: Someone else? Who could Shane have working for him?

Mark Madden: As influential as Shane can be, he could have anybody.

Mike Tenay: Exactly. Shane has a way of convincing people to do things and I can almost guarantee, it's going to be a major player. He's not going to settle for just anyone.

Tony Schiavone: So we don't know what he's up to, but we do know he's hired someone to do his work for him.

Mike Tenay: And that's all we're going to know until he wants us to know more.

Tony Schiavone: Our second match may be the most anticipated match of the night. Scott Steiner and Jeff Jarrett will both sell their souls to win. Who has more to offer though?

Mike Tenay: I'm not sure Jarrett can overcome the strength of Steiner.

Mark Madden: But Jarrett's guitar can. Or, if he is the one paying off the Harris Brothers tonight, they may come into play.

Scott Steiner vs. Jeff Jarrett

Neither man got cheered coming to the ring and you had to wonder if the crowd would be able to get into this one without someone to get behind. Steiner and Jarrett yap back and forth with each other, each warning the other, Steiner pointing to the guitar and telling Jarrett it better stay where it's at. They lock up and Jarrett puts Steiner in a side headlock. Steiner uses his strength to lift Jarrett into the air and down with a back suplex. Both men end up back on their feet, face to face, and Steiner shoves Jarrett to the mat, Jarrett staying there kneeling as he looks at the physical specimen posing, taunting him. Jarrett gets back up, pretending to lock up with Steiner, then going behind him and putting a forearm into the back of Steiner's head. Another forearm and Jarrett spins Steiner around, hooking his head and using a vertical suplex to put Steiner on the ground. Jarrett gets up and wipes his hands clean, but Steiner's up too and when Jarrett turns, Steiner drills him with a clothesline, then flexes before picking Jarrett up, sending him into the ropes. Steiner does his gorilla press routine, benching Jarrett three times, then steps forward and Jarrett lands on the mat hard. Steiner drops an elbow to the back of Jarrett's head, then locks in a chin lock, slowing the pace down and keeping Jarrett grounded. Steiner yells at a fan in the front row, telling him to shut his fat mouth. Steiner releases the chin lock and hits Jarrett with a forearm. Steiner pulls Jarrett to his feet lifting him up to the top turnbuckle. Steiner climbs up top with him, Jarrett responding with a right hand to Steiner's midsection, followed by two more before Steiner used a right of his own to keep control. Steiner hooks Jarrett but can't get him up for a superplex. Jarrett keeps fighting it off and is finally able to shove Steiner to the mat. Jarrett lowers himself, then clutches at his back before going to work on Steiner, putting the boots to his back and neck region, not taking any chances that Scotty might make it to his feet. Jarrett drags Steiner over to the ropes, twisting his leg over the bottom rope, yanking on it, extending it, then jumps and comes down seat first on the knee of Steiner. Steiner instinctively pulls his leg away and Jarrett pulls him to a standing position, keeping his head in his grasp. Jarrett attempts a vertical suplex, but can't get Scotty up. Another attempt, same result. Finally, Steiner reverses it and holds Jarrett upside down, letting the blood rush to his head, letting him get a little woozy and then finally letting him fall to the mat. Jarrett stumbles back to his feet and Steiner hooked him with a spinning belly to belly suplex. Steiner picks Jarrett up and Jarrett pokes him in the eye, then stumbles backwards into the referee, who hits his head on the turnbuckle and crumples to the mat. Jarrett eyes the opportunity, bending down and grabbing his guitar. Steiner, still holding his eye, conveniently stumbles into the perfect position for Jarrett to smash the guitar over his head. Jarrett follows it with a cover and Robinson gets himself into position, slowly making a three count. Steiner's unable to kick out and Jarrett moves on.

Winner: Jeff Jarrett

The cameras cut straight from the ring to the backstage area where Billy Kidman walks up to Mean Gene Okerlund, nearly pushing him out of his seat. Okerlund's shocked and Kidman demands Okerlund grab his microphone. Okerlund does and re-groups himself.

Gene Okerlund: Billy Kidman, what's this all about?

Billy Kidman: This is about you disrespecting Billy Kidman Okerlund.

Gene Okerlund: Why I never....

Billy Kidman: BK's been backstage this whole time, but when BK looks at the screen, he sees Gene Okerlund interviewing Shane Douglas? He's not even employed here and you're interviewing him? You disrespected BK.

Gene Okerlund: They asked me to-

Billy Kidman: And BK's had enough of the disrespect. From you, from amangement, and from that ancient actor pretending to be a wrestler, Hulk Hogan.

Gene Okerlund: What's Hulk Hogan got to do with anything?

Billy Kidman: Hulk Hogan turned his back on these fans four years ago, turned his back on everyone, but as soon as he puts on some red and yellow gear, they all flock to him again. Everyone forgets about what he did. Everyone except BK.

Gene Okerlund: I don't think-

Billy Kidman: BK didn't forget. BK called Hogan out, called him a liar, but Hogan wants nothing to do with BK. Hogan's afraid of what might happen if he steps in the ring with BK. He, like you, disrespects BK.

Gene Okerlund: Billy Kidman-

Billy Kidman: But not for long. Hogan can't avoid me forever and soon, BK will get his chance. Hogan, BK's coming your way, all day....every day.

Kidman shoves his way past Okerlund, apparently satisfied with his choice of words. Okerlund, flabbergasted by the whole thing, just throws it back to the announce booth.

Tony Schiavone: Wow. What do you make of that?

Mark Madden: I believe it's called the Napoleon complex. You two should know something about that.

Mike Tenay: Well, if you ask me, I think Billy just lost it. He's not on the pay per view, he's not in any title contention, he's upset. I'm sure it'll blow over.

Tony Schiavone: But still, this isn't the way to act. If he wants a title shot, he needs to earn it in the ring, like our combatants tonight.

Mark Madden: He wants Hogan, but maybe he should want The Wall instead, since he beat Hogan.

Tony Schiavone: And his confidence is at an all time high. Booker T may be in for a struggle here.

The Wall vs. Booker T

Wall got a decent heel reaction, nothing too special but Booker got a strong face reaction, very strong. Wall doesn't wait for Booker to lock up, instead reaching out and grabbing him, pulling Booker in and then driving short right hooks to the side of Booker's head until Charles Robinson warns him about closed fists. Wall sends Booker into the ropes, then knocks him down with a standing shoulderblock. Wall laughs at how easily Booker fell, then drops an elbow to Book's chest. Wall stands back up, helping Booker up at the same time. Wall with another right hand, but this time Booker responds with one of his own. Wall goes for another and Booker ducks it, ending up next to Wall facing the same way. Booker lifts him into the air and Wall lands after recieving a side suplex. Booker hooks the leg, but Wall easily powers out. Book watches as the bigger man gets up, then rocks him with consecutive right hands, backing Wall into the ropes. Book sends Wall into the other ropes and looks for the axe kick, but Wall catches him in mid-air, then slams him forward, landing on top. Wall stands back up, letting out some sort of screaming release, then picks Booker up off the mat. After landing a stiff forearm in Booker's chest, Wall picks Booker up, turning him upside down and hanging him that way in the corner. Wall kicks Booker in the chest twice, opening him up, then stalks to the middle of the ring, turning and running full steam, his knee caving in the chest of Booker T. Wall backs up and does it again, this time Booker falls off, landing on the mat. Wall rolls Booker over and makes the cover, but somehow Booker T kicks out at two. Wall pulls Booker up, whipping him into the ropes then sandwiching him with a powerslam and another pin attempt....another failed pin attempt. Wall's growing increasingly frustrated with Booker's resiliance, this time lifting him into the air and dropping him over his knee with a backbreaker, again going for the pin but only getting a two count. Wall places Book face first in the corner, then puts his shoulder into the small of Booker's back, over and over and over, Booker screaming on impact. Wall waits and when Booker finally is able to turn around, Wall locks in a huge bearhug, not lifting Booker off the mat, but driving his shoulder into the ribs of Booker and squeezing him. Booker tries to fight out of it at first, but the longer that Wall keeps the move on, the less resistance there is from Booker. Despite the urging from the crowd, Booker's body goes limp and Wall lets him fall lifeless to the mat. Wall makes the cover, this time sure of his victory. Robinson's hand hits the mat once and Wall smiles. It his twice and the crowd goes desperate. It's on it's way for the third time when Booker's arm shoots up into the air and Wall's eyes bug out of his head. He yanks Booker to his feet, but Booker kicks him in the midsection, then hammers him with repeated right hands and a chop across the chest. Booker T with a bodyslam on The Wall and as soon as Wall gets back to his feet, Booker nails him with the axe kick! Wall's down and Booker plays to the crowd, who are popping huge for this instantaneous comeback. Booker slowly makes his way up to the top turnbuckle and once Wall's on his feet, Booker leaps off, delivering a missile dropkick that knocks Wall back into the corner. He stumbles out and walks right into a kick from Booker, bending him over. Booker with the scissors kick, his boot coming down hard on the back of Wall's head. Booker hooks the leg and with the crowd counting along, Charles Robinson's right there to slap the mat three times and award Booker T the match.

Cameras again cut backstage where Gene Okerlund is earning his paycheck. He's got his mic and a cameracrew with him as he knocks on a door in the locker room. The door swings open and Jarrett almost clocks Okerlund before realizing who it is. Jarrett pulls his fist back.

Jeff Jarrett: Yea? What do ya want Okerlund, I'm a very busy man.

Jarrett looks both ways down the hallway, apparently a tad paranoid.

Gene Okerlund: After crushing Scott Steiner with the guitar, what do you think his reaction's going to be?

Jeff Jarrett: Steiner knows it's a business. I did what it took to win, he didn't. I won, he didn't.

Gene Okerlund: I'm being told they had to take Scotty to the hospital. What do you have to say to your next opponent?

Jeff Jarrett: My next opponent? Look what happened to my first opponent. That's only a taste of what you're gonna get. Now you said Steiner's gone?

Gene Okerlund: Well yea, they took him to get his head looked at.

Jeff Jarrett: Then just sit back and watch Gene-O, I've got a title to win.

Suddenly, Jarrett has no concern in the World, walking out of the room with enormous confidence.

Sid vs. Sting

Before they made their way out, the cameras showed Douglas sitting in the front row, this time talking on a cell phone. Sting got his usual pop while people seemed confused about Sid. While circling each other, Sting shouts out to the crowd, hearing them whoo back at him. They lock up and Sid backs Sting into the corner, making a clean break, then trying to charge with a clothesline. Sting sidesteps and kicks Sid in the midsection when he turns around. He follows that up with a series of chops, both forehanded and backhanded, all landing in the chest region of Sid. Sid absorbs each blow, then when he's had enough, he lunges forward, shoving Sting to the ground. Sting rolls through it, back to his feet and charges at Sid, only to get lifted with a tilt-a-whirl and brought back down with a backbreaker. Sid makes the cover, barely getting a two count. Both men on their feet, Sid with a couple of hard right hands, then lifts Sting up to his shoulder, parading around the ring before dropping him with a basic bodyslam. He goes for the pin again but again, Sting kicks out. Sid helps Sting to his feet and Sting kicks him in the midsection again, following it up with another chop, a right hand, another right hand, then another kick and Sid's bent over in the ring. Sting drives his face into the mat with a facebuster, then stands up, cupping his hands and shouting to the fans, who respond with a huge whoo right back. Sid slowly gets back to his feet but when he does, Sting runs into him with a clothesline, making him stumble backwards. Sting looks around, backs up, then charges with another clothesline, this one putting Sid against the ropes. Sting tries to make it a trifecta, but Sid sends Sting flying over the rope instead, the man in black landing hard on the thin blue mat. Mickey Jay's over to the ropes, looking down on Sting, then he starts the ten count. Sting's re-grouping and is on his feet by five, rolling in by seven. Sid stomps at Sting on the mat, then drops a knee into the back of Sting, pulling hard up on Sting's head. Sting's close enough to the ropes that he reaches out, breaking the move, and is able to get back to his feet. He ducks a Sid clothesline, bounces off the ropes, and hits a flying clothesline of his own, knocking Sid down to the mat. Sting wastes no time in trying to lock in the Scorpion Death Lock, but Sid overpowers him and shoves Sting off. Sting still comes back with right hands and a back chop, then hooks Sid and manages to get him over with a sloppy looking vertical suplex. Sting to the top turnbuckle now and Sid's still on the mat. Sting's perched like a cat and leaps off, landing a big splash in the middle of the ring, but Sid's able to kick out at two. Sting lets Sid get to his feet, collecting his thoughts and trying to figure out what he has to do. Sting with a couple more punches, softening Sid up, then sends Sid across the ring into the corner. Sting yells out to the crowd, getting another whoo, then charges full steam and leaps with a stinger splash! Except Sid reached his hand out and grabbed Sting around the neck, stopping the splash! Sid walks with Sting towards the middle of the ring, lifts him into the air, and hurls him to the mat with a chokeslam. Sid catches his breath while slowly pulling Sting to his feet, then puts Stings head between his legs and lifts him up, lobbing Sting into the air with a powerbomb. Sid drops down and Mickey Jay's right there to make the three count.

Winner: Sid

Sting is lying motionless in the ring with Mickey Jay kneeling next to him, trying to get him to wake up. Sid leaves and heads to the back and the medics make their way to the ring. Despite all their efforts, Sting remains motionless and soon, all heads turn towards the rampway where Vampiro is seen making his way out. He slides into the ring, threatening the medics and getting them to back up. He drags Sting to the edge of the ring, then rolls out and puts Sting over his shoulder. Vampiro ignores the refs and medics, carrying Sting all the way to the back on his shoulder.

Tony Schiavone: Vampiro taking Sting to the back, but why? Is he helping him or is he going to finish him?

Mark Madden: As twisted as Vampiro is, you never know.

Mike Tenay: It looked like he had good intentions. Him and Sting have an odd sort of relationship, but I think he wanted to help him.

Tony Schiavone: We need to get someone back there now and make sure.

Mike Tenay: If he wants to hurt him, he may have already done it.

Tony Schiavone: We've got one of our semi-finals matches, but we're going to get this situation sorted out.

Diamond Dallas Page vs. Jeff Jarrett

Easily the most heat for any match of the night. The fans hate Jarrett and love Page. There's no love lost here and you could tell from the get go when they shoved the ref to the side and started trading right hands with each other. They tumbled into the ropes, spinning each other around as they battle to the corner where Jarrett finally gains the advantage. Jarrett acts like he's going to back off, but then drives a closed fist into Page's jaw, Page's head snapping on impact. Jarrett grabs his head and runs Page's face across the top rope, using the old school burn method, then pulls back on the top rope, knocking Page to the mat. Jarrett stomps the knee of Page, then lifts it and extends it, driving his own knee into the inside of Page's, then twists it around, Page screaming as the pain sets in. Jarrett keeps the leglock on and shows his old school learnings, yelling at the crowd while keeping the hold in place, drawing that extra heat. Charles Robinson checks on Page and Jarrett stands up, but only so he can drive his knee back into place and again wrench back on the hold, telling Page to give it up. Knowing it's not gonna happen, Jarrett releases the hold and watches as Page gets back to his feet, obviously struggling to put weight on the left leg. Jarrett lifts Page into the air, then brings him down with a kneebreaker, Page now hopping on one foot and Jarrett puts him down backwards with a back suplex, the back of Page's head hitting the mat. Jarrett hooks the weak left leg of Page, but Page still gets a shoulder up. Jarrett gets back to his feet, dragging Page's leg to the bottom rope and pulling it over. Jarrett slides to the outside and grabs Page's ankle, pulling it down over the bottom rope. Before he can do anything else, Page uses his right foot to kick Jarrett back into the steel guardrail. Page scrambles to his feet as Jarrett slides back in the ring. Page blocks a right hand and hits Jarrett with one of his own. Page with another right and Jarrett's back against the ropes. Page clotheslines Jarrett over the top rope, Dallas going with him all the way to the floor. The brawl ensues as they battle back and forth, Page limping every step of the way. Page has Jarrett bent back over the guardrail and drives a forearm into Jarrett's chest, then goes for an irish whip, but Jarrett reverses it and Page goes tumbling into the ringsteps, flipping over and landing hard on his back. Jarrett takes his time in getting over there but once he does, Page is ready to go again and stops him with another solid right, then rams Jarrett face first into the steel pole. Jarrett spins around dazed and walks right into a spinebuster, Page planting him on the concrete before sliding into the ring. Page is on one knee in the ring, clutching his ribs, feeling his other knee, all while Robinson starts the count on Jarrett, going slow and steady. At the longest count of seven, Jarrett finally rolls himself into the ring, kicking Page in the midsection when he advances, then hooking Page for a vertical suplex. Page is able to float over Jarrett and from behind rolls Jarrett up for a quick two count. Both men to their feet and Jarrett takes Page down with a running elbow, then looks back at Page's knee and calls for the figure four. Jarrett's able to lock it in, but Page is only inches from the ropes and only takes a few seconds before he's close enough to grab the bottom rope. Jarrett breaks the hold, but Page's knee is still feeling the effects. Page uses the top rope to pull himself to a standing position and when Jarrett charges, Page lifts him up and over the top. Jarrett manages to land on the apron though so Page drives his shoulder between the second and third ropes, getting Jarrett in the ribs, then flips him into the ring. Jarrett stomps at Page's leg, making sure he keeps the advantage, then heads to the corner, grabbing his way over-used guitar. Robinson steps in the way, telling him not to, but Jarrett shoves Robinson to the side and as soon as Page limps close enough, Jarrett swings it like a baseball bat. Page ducks and Jarrett spins himself around, stumbling slightly forward and walks right into the Diamond Cutter! Page falls on top of Jarrett, barely able to make the cover and Charles Robinson wastes no time in making the three count to the delight of the crowd.

While Page slowly makes his way to the back, the cameras once again find the busiest man in WCW, Mean Gene Okerlund. This time he's with his old pal, Hulk Hogan, who gets a huge pop for his appearance.

Gene Okerlund: Hulk Hogan, earlier in the night, BK aka Billy Kidman, had some choice words for you.

Hulk Hogan: Ya know, brother, all my life people have had choice words and yea, brother, I may have made some mistakes along the way but all those Hulkamaniacs out there know that I've moved past that. I regret what I've done and I'm here to make it right. Billy Kidman wants to be in my spot? Then he can earn it, brother.

Gene Okerlund: He wants to get his hands on you pretty bad, when will be seeing the match?

Hulk Hogan: I'll beat that punk Kidman any night of the week, but what's next for Hulk Hogan is just a little bit bigger than Billy Kidman, if you catch my drift Gene-O. Tomorrow night, on Monday Nitro, I'll have an announcement. Billy Kidman, you should tune in, brother.

Hogan poses for the camera as it returns to ringside where Sid is standing in the ring. Everyone's on their feet, waiting for Booker T but Booker T's music doesn't hit. Instead, a low rock bassline hits followed by a strong guitar.

Tony Schiavone: What's going on? That's not Booker T's music.

Mark Madden: That's not anyone's music.

Sid's looking towards the curtains, trying to figure out what's going on. Behind him, you can see the crowd parting and a man jumps over the guardrail in jeans and a black hoody. He slides into the ring behind Sid, standing almost as tall as Sid is. He stands there behind Sid and when Sid finally turns around, this man lifts him straight up into the air, then drops him straight back with a standing spinebuster. When he stands up, he rips off the hoody...

Tony Schiavone: That's....that's...

Mark Madden: MIKE AWESOOOOMMMMMME!!!!!!

Mike Tenay: What's Mike Awesome doing in a WCW ring?

Mark Madden: Destroying Sid!

Awesome sends Sid into the ropes, taking him down with a flying shoulderblock, then jumping back to his feet in a display of athleticism. Awesome waits for Sid to get back up, then turns Sid upside down and drives him head first into the mat with a stiff looking piledriver. Awesome looks around the arena, then heads up to the top turnbuckle. With Sid laid out in the middle of the ring, Mike Awesome leaps off with an amazing looking frog splash, his near 300 pound body landing right on Sid's body.

Mark Madden: The Awesome Splash!

Awesome bounces back to his feet and looks down at Sid before rolling out of the ring. He heads right over to Shane Douglas, who looks Awesome up and down, then extends his hand. Awesome pulls him in and the two embrace while the crowd boos the display. Awesome hops the guardrail and leaves side by side with Shane Douglas.

Tony Schiavone: Well, now we know what Shane Douglas was talking about. My god, Mike Awesome just decimated Sid in a matter of seconds.

Mike Tenay: What about the match Tony?

Tony Schiavone: I'm getting word from the back that if Sid can't continue, Booker T will move onto the main event. The medics are in the ring, checking on Sid no.

Mark Madden: Sid won't be able to continue. That Awesome splash had to have broken some ribs, had to.

Tony Schiavone: We're watching the medics in the ring and they're helping Sid roll out. They're taking him to the back!

Mike Tenay: So Sid's out of the tourney?

Tony Schiavone: He'll have a shot at the US Title tomorrow night against Jeff Jarrett, if he's ready to go by then. But right now, it's Booker T against Page for the World Title!

Mark Madden: This is hardly fair. Page is nowhere near one hundred percent, Booker's only had one match.

Mike Tenay: Never underestimate the heart of Diamond Dallas Page. I believe he's got at least one run left in him.

Tony Schiavone: I've never ever questioned the heart of Diamond Dallas Page, but he can barely even walk. Can he really overcome this?

Mike Tenay: If anyone can, it'll be Diamond Dallas Page.

Diamond Dallas Page vs. Booker T

Booker T waited in the ring, warming up while Page started limping down to the ring, his knee bandaged up heavily. He slides into the ring carefully and looks at Booker T. Nick Patrick checks with Page to make sure he really wants to go. Page tells him to ring the damn bell and it's on. Booker hesitates at first, not wanting to pick on the injured Page. Page strikes first and Booker responds by sending him into the ropes. Page takes a hard running forearm from Booker, followed by a russian leg sweep, putting the back of his head right into the mat. Booker goes for an early cover, trying to take advantage of Page's condition, but only gets a one count. Booker pulls Page to his feet, sending him hard into the corner. Booker hooked both of Page's arm over the ropes, then nailed Dallas with a back chop. He spread out his arms again, then again nailed Page with a back chop, both slicing the chest of DDP. Booker pulls Page out of the corner, then drops him with a straight vertical suplex that leaves Page in the middle of the ring. Booker with another cover, this time getting a two count but just barely. Booker stands Page up, kicks him in the midsection, then tries to lock in a double underhook. Before he can execute anything, Page lifts him backwards with a back body drop instead. Page follows that with a series of hip tosses, holding on after the third and turning it into a standard armbar. He twists the armbar, then pulls Booker in for a short armed clothesline, dropping Booker to the mat. Both men get back to their feet, Page uses a double armed DDT to drive Booker's head into the canvas. Page rolls him over, but's only able to get a two count out of that. Page backs Booker up towards the corner witth solid right hands, then a knee to the midsection before lifting Booker up to the top turnbuckle. The crowd stands in anticipation and Page gives em what they want, climbing slowly and gingerly, up to the top turnbuckle himself. He hooks Booker T and lifts him into the air, both men falling off the turnbuckle in a sloppy, yet painful looking, superplex! Booker nearly bounces out of the ring and Page seems to have hurt himself more than anything. Both men stay on the mat for some time. Patrick has to start the double ten count, but takes his sweet time and by the time he reaches six, both men are at least beginning to move. By the time he hits eight, they're both on their feet and Page has Booker in a full nelson. He puts his foot in front of Booker's, then trips him while keeping the full nelson in tact, driving Booker's face right into the mat. Page makes the cover and gets a two count. Page sends Booker into the ropes and Booker reverses a hip toss, nearly throwing Page out of the ring. Page back to his feet and Booker kicks him in the midsection, then bounces off the ropes and delivers the scissors kick to the back of Page's head. Booker makes the pin, fully expecting the three count, but still only able to get two. Booker looks at Patrick in astonishment, then pulls Page to his feet. Booker sends Page limping into the ropes, then grabs him and lifts him into the air, falling backwards with a flapjack. Booker re-groups and quickly heads to the top turnbuckle, waiting for Page to get himself back up. Booker's poised and ready. As soon as Dallas stands up, Booker leaps off with a missile dropkick, but Page's knee gives out and he falls to the mat, avoiding the dropkick. Booker lands hard but pops back up. Page is back to his feet and when Booker turns, Page sees the perfect opportunity and drills him with the Diamond Cutter! DDP's unable to make the cover right away and by the time he does, Booker's able to kick out just before the three count. Both men, exhausted, struggle to get to their feet. Page goes to whip Booker into the ropes, but Booker holds onto Page's arm, then turns and plants a superkick into the jaw of DDP. Booker gets a sudden energy burst, using the spin-a-roonie to get himself back up to his feet. Booker heads up to the top turnbuckle again and when Page gets back to his feet, Booker knocks him back down with a missile dropkick, this time making the cover right away. Three seconds later, Nick Patrick names him the new WCW World Heavyweight Champion!

Spring Stampede ends with Booker T on both knees in the middle of the ring, holding the WCW World Title over his head, then clutching it to his chest as the show fades to black.

For some reason this caught my eye today, so I gave it a read through and I found myself both pleasantly surprised as well as kinda uninterested. Allow me to explain.

One of the best things about this time period in WCW history is that it was so beyond belief hyper and fucked up that it wasn't even funny. It was as if Russo did crack and then produced the scripts while flying high, and Bischoff just sat back and watched him go. It was fun, funny, dreadful, and hard to watch all at the same time. Wrestling went out the window, ala WWF a few years earlier, and all that seemed to matter was the stories and brawling. Logic went out the window, as all that seemed to matter was TRYING like hell, and failing, to get the new guys over while burying the stars of the past if possible no matter what the cost to the history of WCW or it's potential future.

Now we get your version of this time, and while it is well written, it's too damned logical and coherent. This isn't Crash TV hyper manic wrestling, this ALMOST seems to be an old school booked promotion. Maybe that is the idea you have, but I see no traces anywhere that Russo is even involved. Another mistake, I suppose, is your decision to book three shows around the World Title and not give us anything else, and here it feels like Bischoff isn't even really involved. Bischoff knew that the way to get the fans into a show and keep them there was to open with a Cruiser match and build up from there. While many of the great cruisers were gone by this point, you still have plenty of decent enough ones that you could have, and perhaps even should have done the Cruiserweight Battle Royal to open the PPV. Get the fans into the night, and as I said build from there.

This time was wide open, and you recreated it as such, but at the same time you took a lot of the easy choices and easy ways out which seems too predictable and, well, easy to me. While I loved The Franchise and Awesome's involvement, the final four was ultimately far too easy, and for Sid to get THAT far only to be robbed the way he was of moving on was rather weak. Why not wait for the Awesome involvement during the match with Booker? Booker and the ref go down and then we get Awesome destroying Sid? The same idea is presented, Booker advances not through anything he did, but with the help of an outside force looking to make a name for himself in his WCW debut. Speaking of Booker, he and DDP, while not a bad choice by any means, was predictable. Perhaps your thinking was that it was almost a forgone conclusion that Jarrett was walking out with the belt as happened in reality, but I saw Jarrett's loss coming a mile away. You really took no chances in the tourney aside from putting some names in that weren't ready. Vampiro, The Harris Bros, The Artist, Duggan, and Knobbs never had a hope in hell of making it to the finals, but what a big chance and what an incredible swerve if they had? What if Vampiro walked out the champion this evening? What if The Artist surprised everyone by making it to the final four? That's your Russo booking, and you missed the boat.

There's nothing wrong with this diary thus far, but all in all it felt very generic to me. Take more chances, show your committee's individual sides and likes as you book. Russo pushes hard for a Billy Kidman push and a win over Hogan while Bischoff is saying he's not ready, showing us the power struggle going on backstage, as would have existed in reality. Sullivan is almost the odd man out, until Terry Taylor backs him in his call to put The Harris Bros over 3 Count for the Tag Team Titles, despite everyone else saying they suck. Take this beyond the predictable and the boring, and build a grand tale here. The set up allows you to do so, so meet and then exceed the possibilities that exist in this kind of a setting.

Grade thus far after three lackluster shows is a D+.

TGC

April 17th Meeting- Before Monday Nitro

Vince Russo: You can’t give Hulk Hogan anotha damn title shot Bischoff.

Eric Bischoff: We let you switch who won the World title at the last minute Russo, you can't control everything.

Vince Russo: There's no reason for Hogan to get a fuckin title shot.

Eric Bischoff: Look at the storyline. Kidman screwed Hogan out of his shot in the tournament, so Hogan deserves a shot now.

Vince Russo: That storyline was supposed to set up Kidman to take on Hogan at Slamboree.

Eric Bischoff: So continue it until Great American Bash, their match can go down there.

Kevin Sullivan: What about Hogan’s creative control?

Eric Bischoff: What about it?

Kevin Sullivan: You’re giving him a World Title shot and you think he’s going to lose?

Vince Russo: No fuckin joke, you know damn well he’s gonna wait til Slamboree and pull some crap about refusing to lose.

Eric Bischoff: If he had a problem with it, he’d let me know.

Terry Taylor: What other options are there right now Vince? It’s not like Stevie Ray’s going to be a buyable opponent for the World Champ.

Vince Russo: Mike Awesome just took out the fuckin former champion in four fuckin moves.

Terry Taylor: You want to put the belt on Awesome right away? What message does that send to the other boys in the back?

Bill Banks: He never said Awesome had to win.

Terry Taylor: Then he loses that main event credibility. You can’t build him up as an insta-monster just to deflate him with a loss.

Eric Bischoff: Hogan’s the best option right now.

Vince Russo: But you don’t have control over him. You can’t put him in a title match or he may be the last fuckin champion we have!

Bill Banks: What about Sid going after Booker?

Eric Bischoff: And ignoring what Awesome did?

Bill Banks: He could get his revenge quickly, then move on.

Terry Taylor: Then you’re back to losing Awesome’s credibility again.

Vince Russo: So you want to give the fuckin match to Hogan too?

Terry Taylor: I’m just looking at it logically and he seems to at least fit.

Vince Russo: Fuck it then, give it to Hogan, but when he fucks us over, don’t come bothering me for a fuckin solution.

The arguing was interrupted by slight laughter coming from Kevin Sullivan. Looking down at his cell phone, he placed it on the table and made sure he had the rooms attention.

Vince Russo: What the fuck's so funny?

Kevin Sullivan: Hogan won't be main eventing Slamboree. He won't even be at Nitro tomorrow night.

Eric Bischoff: What?! But he has to make the announcement.

Kevin Sullivan: According to Jimmy, he's got buldging discs in his back. He won't be out of bed for a week and won't be competing for at least a month.

Eric Bischoff: You've gotta be joking.

Kevin Sullivan: Read it and weep boys.

Sullivan slides the phone out for anyone who wants to question him. Nobody does.

Terry Taylor: So now what?

Bischoff looks at Russo in a "damn you for getting your way" sort of way.

Eric Bischoff: There's only one choice that makes sense.

Vince Russo: About fuckin time.

Only one choice? But who is it? Oh, Nitro was going to be interesting.

Although your diary is well written, as always, and full of fun I'm having trouble really getting interested. It seems that you just force fed us WCW from 2000 but with the exact same things that happened later that year. I mean Booker T winning the belt was not a shocker and neither were the brackets for the tournament and how they played out. TGC said take more chance, I say be more original.

4/17 Edition of Monday Nitro from Gary, Indiana

Nitro starts off with a pyro, then a series of images from Spring Stampede. The next thing you hear is the familiar music of Hulk Hogan, getting the crowd whipped up into a frenzy, but he doesn't step through the ropes. Instead, it's Billy Kidman who makes his way out to a chorus of boos, smiling and telling the fans to keep it coming. He slides into the ring and grabs a microphone, loving the attention from the crowd.

Billy Kidman: Surprise surprise, look who let the fans down…again? Where’s your hero? Where’s Hulk Hogan? Just last night, he said he was gonna have an announcement right here on Nitro. An announcement that was supposedly bigger than BK. He didn’t even have the balls to show his face, that’s pathetic Hogan, absolutely pathetic. BK knows what Hogan’s announcement was, he was going to announce himself as the top contender for the WCW World Championship, but he’s not here to do that. According to BK, that means the number one contendership is still open and since BK’s feeling extra froggy, BK’s gonna leap at the chance. There were 17 guys who competed in the World Title tournament, but none of them were BK. You’re telling me I’m not in the freakin top 17 guys in this business? Everyone knows that BK should have been in the tournament, but all that’s about to be ok. See, BK’s out here tonight to stake his claim, to name himself the top contender for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship. Booker T, what you did was impressive, but what BK's going to do to you is downright scary.

Before Kidman can continue, the fans rise to their feet upon hearing the music of the World Champion. Booker T steps out, the huge World Title draped over his shoulder. He originally stops on the rampway, but then changes his mind and walks right down to the ring, stepping in next to Billy Kidman.

Booker T: Ten years Kidman. Ten years, I've worked my butt off to get where I am today and you think I'm just going to give it up to some chump who can't stop running his mouth? Look at this belt Kidman, look at it.

Booker lifts it towards Kidman's face, forcing him to look.

Booker T: This isn't the cruiserweight title homie, this is a man's belt, something you'll never know anything about. This is something you get after years of hardwork, dedication, and determination. A lot of guys blood, sweat, and tears have gone into making this belt what it is. And you think you can just come along and claim a shot?

Billy Kidman: Oh save the tears sappy ass. You know as well as I do, you got lucky when you won that belt last night. Hell, you didn't even have to wrestle Sid in your second match. So rather than let WCW have a paper champion, BK's going to step up and put the value back in the championship. All you gotta do is accept the challenge.

Booker T: You want the shot at Slamboree, you can have it, but sucka, you're not on my level.

Billy Kidman: BK's on his own level you ignorant fool.

Booker T: Lemme splain it to ya. I've spent my entire career getting better, working harder than everyone else, staying on the right path. You think you can just wake up one morning and decide to be a star, but you'll never be the champ, dig that sucka.

Kidman nods his head slowly, then swings at Book, who steps back to avoid the punch, then delivers a kick to Kidman's midsection, followed quickly by the scissors kick. Kidman rolls out of the ring while Booker raises the belt to a decent pop from the crowd and the scene fades to commercial.

~~~COMMERCIAL BREAK~~~

Coming back from commercial break, Schiavone welcomed us to Monday Nitro alongside Mark Madden, then ran down the list of happenings from last night's Spring Stampede. They talk about Billy Kidman's recent ego-trip and now he wants to challenge Booker T. Madden thinks he's bit off more than he can chew. Schiavone throws it to the ring for the first match.

The Wall vs. Lash Leroux

You have to admire the heart of Lash Leroux. Not once did he back down from Wall, instead taking the fight right to the bigger man, but his series of rights wasn't doing much to phase the Wall and soon, Wall shoved him down to the mat. Lash gets back to his feet and charges again, this time running right into a choke from Wall. Wall lifts Lash up but Lash goes wild with rights, chops, and kicks and manages to squirm out of the chokeslam. Lash with a dropkick and the Wall stumbles back. Another dropkick and more stumbling. Lash, feeling brave now, leaps at Wall, who catches him and just slams him to the mat with ferocity. Wall argues with a fan in the front row, then turns back to Lash, bodyslamming him to the mat. Leroux barely able to get up under his own power and when he does, you knew it was as good as over. Wall chokeslammed him to the mat, then dropped to one knee and made an easy cover, getting a dominant three count.

Schiavone points out that Shane Douglas is sitting in the front row with Mike Awesome and says Okerlund's going to get a word with them as soon as we get back!

~~~COMMERCIAL BREAK~~~

Gene Okerlund's looking less than thrilled as he stands next to the guardrail, Shane Douglas and Mike Awesome both seated in the front row.

Gene Okerlund: Shane Douglas, last night you stayed true to your word, bringing out Mike Awesome in what may have been the most impressive debut I've seen.

Shane Douglas: Ah Gene, when will you people learn to not question me? WCW wanted me to stay gone, they didn't want me around here, but now, there's no choice Gene. I may have to buy a ticket every week Okerlund, but Mike Awesome's here to stay. And every week that I have to pay my way in, he's going to destroy another body.

Gene Okerlund: Why last night and why Sid?

Shane Douglas: Last night was just because I was tired of waiting. As far as why Sid? Tell him Mike.

Awesome laughs as he steps into the mic.

Mike Awesome: Why Sid? It just wouldn't look right, me beating up on someone like Disco Inferno would it? For a long time now, Sid has been the biggest, the baddest, and the most dominant man in WCW. And what did I do? I decimated him.

Gene Okerlund: Yes you did. Matter of fact, Sid won't even be here tonight and we're not sure how long it will be before he gets back to the ring. When can we expect to see you in the ring?

Awesome starts to answer, but Shane steps up.

Shane Douglas: Let's get one thing straight Gene. We'll be in that ring whenever we damn well please. WCW doesn't tell Mike Awesome anything, they ask and hope he goes along with it. He may not be extreme anymore Gene, but trust me, he's still extremely dangerous.

Douglas sits back down and Awesome smirks for the camera as Okerlund backs away and the action in the ring picks up.

Hugh Morrus vs. Dustin Rhodes

Morrus got a good reaction from the crowd, but Dustin didn't really get any reaction. Dustin did have the early advantage, taking Morrus down to the mat, then working him over with a variety of wear down holds, including a chin lock and an armbar. He kept Morrus on the mat for at least three minutes, ignoring the boring chant from the crowd. Dustin finally let Morrus up to his feet and sent him into the ropes. Rhodes tried to take Morrus down with a standing clothesline, but Morrus didn't budge, just looked up and smiled. Morrus bounced off the ropes voluntarily this time and ran into Rhodes, knocking him down with a shoulder block. He followed that with a scoop slam, then another scoop slam, then landed a big elbow drop, but only got a two count on the cover. Morrus backed Dustin Rhodes up into the corner, then went up for the ten punch, but only got through seven before Dustin lifted him into the air and brought him down with an inverted atomic drop. Dustin followed that up with a bulldog and got a two count of his own on the pin. Dustin lifted Morrus up to his feet, then went for a vertical suplex, but couldn't quite get Morrus up. Morrus reversed it, lifting Rhodes into the air and dropping him stomach first across the top rope. Rhodes hung there until Morrus flipped him back in, Rhodes landing hard on his back. Morrus quickly headed up to the top turnbuckle, facing backwards. He lept off and landed the No Laughing Matter moonsault, squashing Dustin Rhodes right in the middle of the ring. The three count was academic from Mark Johnson.

Winner: Hugh Morrus

~~~COMMERCIAL BREAK~~~

Coming back from break, Schiavone tells us it's time for our eight team tag team frenzy match. The winners at the end will become the new WCW World Tag Team Champions!

Tag Team Frenzy

Harlem Heat, the year 2000 version, started things off against The Mamalukes. Your standard brawl happened at first, neither team really gaining an advantage until Stevie Ray lowblowed Vito, then doubleteamed Johnny the Bull. They sent Johnny into the ropes and he came off with surprising strength, diving and taking down Stevie Ray with a shoulderblock. Big T grabbed him and sent him back first into the corner, then charged with a clothesline. Johnny sidestepped it and Big T hit the turnbuckles chest first. Johnny reached up and tagged in Vito, who went for the same move, except he hit his, sandwiching Big T in the corner. Stevie Ray's back on his feet and charges at Vito, who steps aside and Stevie sandwiches Big T in the corner too! Stevie turns around and Vito DDT's him to the mat, then tags in Johnny the Bull. Together, they pull off a double brainbuster on Big T and escape with a quick victory. They didn't have much time to celebrate because Jimmy Yang and Kaz Hayashi, the Jung Dragons come rushing down to the ring. Knowing they gave up a lot on the size side, Yang and Hayashi relied on their speed, countering anything the Mamalukes threw at them and using mostly an aerial attack to keep their opponents off guard. They had been going back and forth, exchanging momentum, for a little over four minutes when Johnny the Bull caught Yang out of mid-air and threw him with a falling suplex ala Scott Hall. Johnny brought in Vito and it looked like they were going for the double brainbuster on Yang, but Hayashi springboarded off the top rope and managed to kick Johnny in the head. Vito caught him and looked for a full nelson slam, but Hayashi flipped backwards out of that and brought Vito down with a cross face halo. Yang rolled over on top of Vito and the Jung Dragons squeak out a victory. Up next, it was the team who had given up the belts last week, The Harris Bros. Again, the Dragons found themselves completely outsized but they had the advantage by being in the ring first and used double baseball slides to take the Harris' down early. From then on, they ran the Harris' around, trying to wear them down, but as soon as Ron was able to get ahold of Kaz, the trouble began. Ron through Hayashi out of the ring, then forcefully brought Yang in. He whipped Yang into the corner, where Jimmy ran head first into the boot of Don. The Harris' just slammed Jimmy around the ring, bodyslams, punches, and kicks. When Don held Jimmy up for Ron to kick, it shoulda been over but Yang moved and Ron drove his boot into the face of Don Harris! Jimmy fell into the ropes, tagging Hayashi, who came off the top with a super tornado DDT on Ron! He made the cover and got the three. Of course, the luck of the Dragons wasn't looking too well when they saw Kronik making their way out where the action would continue right after the break.

~~~COMMERCIAL BREAK~~~

Coming back from commercial, Clarke had just kicked out of a Hayashi pin attempt but judging by the look on Yang's face, things weren't going the way of the Dragons. Hayashi remained in control of Clark, bending Clarke's head down and kneeing him in the face. Hayashi bounced off the ropes, looking for a rolling clothesline, but Clarke ended up clotheslining Hayashi out of his boots instead. Clarke tagged in Adams, who delivered a shoulderbreaker to Hayashi, held onto him, and delivered a second shoulderbreaker. Adams went over and knocked Yang off the apron, then turned back to Hayashi, kicking him in the midsection before delivering a third shoulderbreaker! Adams makes the cover and Kronik emerges victorious. The next team down the aisle was the wild and wacky duo of Crowbar and David Flair. Flair seemed lost and kind of wandered off on his own, but Crowbar went straight for the ring, sliding in and nailing Adams with right hands, then nailing Clarke with right hands. Crowbar bounced off the ropes and went for a flipping kick, but Clarke caught him and dropped him right on his head. Flair finally hit the ring, but he was laughing at Crowbar and didn't realize that Adams had him locked in a full nelson, soon to be followed by a full nelson slam. Crowbar stood back up and Clarke lifted him into the air, planting him with what used to be known as the Meltdown. That led to an easy three count. Things weren't quite over though. While Shannon Moore and Evan Karagias made their way down to the ring, David Flair grabbed a chair on the outside. With everyone's attention focused elsewhere, he managed to drill Adams in the small of the back, then brought it down hard on top of Clarke's head before rolling out of the ring, laughing to himself. Moore wasted no time in going to the top rope and delivered a senton splash to Clarke, hooking his leg and getting the three count! We were down to the last team, the surprise entry. The first man out got a decent pop, it was Chris Candido but who was his partner? He stood in the aisleway, then motioned and out stepped Jamie Knoble! The two hit the ring, ducking right hands from Three Count, then firing back with rights of their own. Candido tossed Karagias out and Knoble ran Moore over the top rope, the crowd now firmly behind this duo. Candido steps out and Moore rolls in, locking up with Knoble. Knoble with a go behind on Moore, then pulls his feet out, driving Moore face first into the mat. Knoble hops back up and Karagias smacks him in the back of the head. Knoble turns and that allows Moore to roll Knoble up. Knoble kicks out at two and locked back up with Moore. They switched moves a couple times, going back and forth before Knoble brought in Candido. Candido rocked Moore with right hands, then sent Moore crashing into Karagias. Candido quickly DDTed Moore in the middle of the ring, then whistled for Knoble. Knoble came in, charged at Candido, who helped lift him over the top rope. Knoble turned in mid-air and dropkicked Karagias on the outside! In the ring, Candido makes the cover on Shannon Moore and Mickey Jay's right there to make the three count and award the WCW Tag Team Titles to Chris Candido and Jamie Knoble!

Winners: Chris Candido and Jamie Knoble

~~~COMMERCIAL BREAK~~~

The Artist vs. Rey Mysterio Jr.

The fans were instantly drawn into this one by the series of chain moves at the very beginning, bodies twisting every sort of way until finally Artist chopped Mysterio in the chest, knocking him down into the corner. Artist put the boots to Mysterio in the corner until Charles Robinson forced him off. Robinson warned Artist, but that let Paisley reach into the ring, choking Mysterio in the corner. Artist went back to work, pulling Mysterio up out of the corner, lifting him for a vertical suplex, but instead falling forward. Artist makes the cover but can't get the three count. Artist sends Mysterio into the ropes, looking to lift him in a body press, but Mysterio twists in mid-air and dropkicks Artist in the chest, knocking him into the ropes. Artist bounces off and right into a head scissors takedown from Mysterio, Artist landing in the corner of the ring. Mysterio runs and leaps, landing on Artist's chest, riding him like the bucking bronco until Robinson pulls him off. Mysterio celebrates, walking around the ring, adjusting his pads, then turns back to Artist, who pulls Mysterio by his tights, sending him head first into the top turnbuckle. Artist then rolls Mysterio up right there and puts his feet on the second rope for extra leverage. Mysterio wiggles and squirms but Artist manages to get the three count.

Winner: The Artist

The screen goes black for a minute, then the blaze of a fire seems to light the screen, illuminating what is otherwise, a very dark room. As the cameras are able to absorb more light and zoom in more, it’s now clear to see Vampiro is standing over a table and on that table lie the body of Sting.

Vampiro: For years, you have fought the bad guys, fought against what you were destined to become, fought against…the dark side. But look at you Sting. Your all black attire, the white face paint, the black baseball bat. You are your worst enemy Sting, you are the evil that you despise, just nobody’s set you free. Nobody’s told you that it’s ok to be what you are Sting. You have no reason to hide anything. You could reach immortal status if you’d just let yourself be free, be free to be what you truly are. It’s my job Sting, to set you free. It’s my job to bring you to where you belong. All night long, you have been undergoing the change, now it’s time for the final step. You must cleanse yourself by burning off the falsities that go with you everyday. You must make yourself pure again and then, and only then, will you be ready.

With that said, Vampiro covers Sting with a blanket, then rolls him off the table into the fire, which explodes into a huge burst of flame, then instantly dies out. Vampiro does nothing but watch Sting’s motionless body.

~~~COMMERCIAL BREAK~~~

Coming back from commercial, Jeff Jarrett's standing in the ring with a microphone.

Jeff Jarrett: Shut up you filthy Indiana hicks, I have an announcement to make.

At least he's drawing more boos.

Jeff Jarrett: Seeing as how Sid got beat up and is at home nursing himself back to health, I see only one solution. Vince Russo, you need to come out here and crown me the new WCW United States champion. Now Russo!

Doing as Jarrett requested, Russo's music hits and he steps onto the rampway.

Vince Russo: When I made the announcement last week that WCW was stahting ovah, the reason was to give chances to the guys who may have been ovah-looked. Bischoff may have beat me to the punch last week by booking the whole tournament without me. But that's not gonna happen twice. Sure, I could bring out the decrepid Kevin Nash, or "Whoo", the ancient Ric Flair. But no, we're doing things the Vince Russo way. I've got a guy waiting in the back who's about to get the oppah-tunity of his lifetime. He's wrestled all over the World, one of the most athletic and entertaining wrestlahs in the bi'ness ta-day. Jeff Jarrett...meet your opponent...Shane Helms!!!

The crowd was completely unsure of how to react. Some popped just for the fact that it was unexpected. Some booed, thinking of Helms as just a member of 3 Count. However, Helms wasn't coming out singing and dancing. He's got his black jean shorts on and a huge smile as he hurries down to the ring, sliding in. Jarrett slides out, taking the chance to re-group and gather his thoughts. The show fades to one last commercial break.

~~~COMMERCIAL BREAK~~~

Jeff Jarrett vs. Shane Helms

Jarrett circles Helms, locking up with him. Helms drops to one knee and flips Jarrett over with an armdrag. Jarrett gets up and charges Helms, who puts him down with a drop toe hold, then gets back to his feet. Helms smacks Jarrett in the back of the head, then bounces around, waiting for him to get back up. Jarrett does but instead of locking up, he slaps Helms across the face. Helms wipes his jaw, then turns and nails Jarrett with a right hand. Jarrett responds with one of his own, followed quickly by a knee, a forearm to the back, then a quick vertical suplex, Jarrett finally gaining the advantage in the match. He backs Helms up into the ropes, delivering a forearm, then sends him into the opposite ropes, putting him hard on the mat with a powerslam. Jarrett hooks the leg but barely gets two. Jarrett pulls Helms back to his feet, but Helms shoves him off, then kicks Jarrett in the side of the knee, followed by an attempt to the midsection. Jarrett caught Helms left foot but didn't catch the right one as it connected with the side of Jarrett's head. Jarrett stumbles, not quite falling, so Helms lifts Jarrett up onto his shoulders, then spins him around and plants him facefirst into his knee with a topspin facebuster. Helms goes for a pin but only gets a two count himself. The crowd's starting to get behind him more though, impressed with the precision of his moves. Helms heads up to the top turnbuckle, getting there just as Jarrett gets to his feet. Helms leaps off looking for a super-rana, but Jarrett somehow holds Helms up in the air, re-groups, turns, and powerbombs him into the mat, not a move you see often from Jarrett. Jarrett pulls Helms to his feet, lifting him into the air, then down with a backbreaker. Jarrett with another cover, still only getting a two count. Jarrett sends Helms into the ropes. Helms ducks under a Jarrett clothesline, then comes off the other side with a flying cross body. Jarrett rolls through the pin attempt, then drives his knee into the face of Helms. Jarrett's showing signs of frustration now and walks over to his guitar, ignoring the threats from Nick Patrick. Helms is slow to get to his feet, but quick enough that he dives out of the way when Jarrett brings the guitar down. Helms ends up behind Jarrett, hooking both of his arms, then dropping him back with the x-plex german suplex, sending the guitar flying out of the ring! He bridges out, but Jarrett manages to kick out at two. Both men back to their feet and Jarrett runs over Helms with a double axe handle to the face, knocking Helms into Patrick. Jarrett drops down to the mat and proceeds to pound Helms with hard right hands, then sees his guitar in the aisleway. Jarrett rolls out slowly to get it, but as he gets to the outside, his eyes go wide when he sees Scott Steiner making his way down the aisle at the same time! Jarrett grabs the guitar, but Steiner grabs him. Steiner with a spinning belly to belly on the outside and Jarrett drops the guitar again! Jeff gets to his feet, holding his back after the suplex and Steiner crowns him with the guitar! Jarrett stumbles around and Steiner rolls him into the ring. Patrick's getting back to his senses and Helms is able to stand on his feet. He pulls Jarrett's limp body up to a standing position, hooking his arms in a reverse backslide position, then lifts Jarrett into the air before dropping straight down with the Vertebreaker! Helms falls on top of Jarrett and Nick Patrick makes the three count!

Winner: Shane Helms

Helms is handed the title as he's laying in the ring. The cameras go up the rampway to Vince Russo standing on the entrance ramp, applauding Shane Helms and his newly captured WCW United States Championship! Nitro fades to black.

Match Ratings

The Wall d. Lash Leroux

Match Reaction = 69.1%

Match Quality = 70.8%

Overall Rating = 68.9%

Dustin Rhodes vs. Hugh Morrus

Match Reaction = 71.6%

Match Quality = 80.6%

Overall Rating = 71.5%

Tag Team Frenzy

Match Reaction = 75.9%

Match Quality = 70.4%

Overall Rating = 74.0%

The Artist d. Rey Mysterio Jr.

Match Reaction = 55.8%

Match Quality = 81.1%

Overall Rating = 70.5%

Shane Helms d. Jeff Jarrett

Match Reaction = 80.1%

Match Quality = 80.9%

Overall Rating = 81.6%

Feckin hell mate. When he said take risks he never meant blow the ratings for the second half of the show. Having said that, Im loving this. Im actually also reading more of the actual matches as I went further into this diary. Its very very good. I only opened this because I wanted the date of Bischof/Russo era for my own diary but youve drawn me completely in. Lets look at your picture at the moment;

World: Booker T (okay...)

US Title (and as they say "on any given night the #1 contender to the World Heavyweight Champion): Shane F'N Helms. That is huge.

Tag Team: Chris Candido and Jamie Knoble.

Mate thats very very interesting and I "like it" (to the McDonalds music). Im interested in seeing what happens next. Booker versus BK pencilled in for Slamboree? Somehow I dont think Russo will get his way fully on this and something will change. Extra persons to the match? Also I see Shane Helms holding the US Title for a very short time before Steiner or Jarret takes it back and goes on to fight at SLamboree Steiner vs Jarret for the US belt.

I called it as I was reading - burning Sting. A funeral pyre for the sting we know... release who knows what demons onto the world? The tortured soul of Sting is about to be released... but can Vampiro control him? keep it going all year if you get really into this mate. Sting vs Vampiro would of been a great Starrcade 2000 match.

April 18th Meeting- Nitro thoughts.

Eric Bischoff: No more Russo, no more of this random selection shit.

Vince Russo: What the fuck are you talkin about random selection?

Eric Bischoff: Put Kidman in the main event, give Helms the US Title. You might wake up tomorrow and want Lash Leroux as the damn TV Champ.

Vince Russo: I'm creating new stars. I know that's new to you since you prefer to buy old ones.

Eric Bischoff: No, I prefer to give guys titles who actually earn them.

The conversation was starting to get pretty heated between the two so Terry Taylor stepped in with his own thoughts.

Terry Taylor: I'll admit I was against it too, but Eric, the way it went down last night, it felt...I don't know, it felt good.

Bill Banks: He's right. The match was well paced and the crowd started rallying behind Helms.

Kevin Sullivan: A hot crowd doesn't mean anything.

Vince Russo: At least we know Helms won't disappoint in the fuckin ring. If he can't carry the belt, then we'll get it to someone who can.

Eric Bischoff: You should have found out whether he could carry the belt before you gave him the damn thing Russo, that's the point.

Vince Russo: What's done is done Eric. Even if you were right, we can't go back and fuckin change it.

Eric Bischoff: But I want to make sure this crap doesn't keep happening.

Vince Russo: You want the fuckin control? Then take it.

Eric Bischoff: What?

Vince Russo: Take fuckin control Bischoff.

Eric Bischoff: The Hardcore and Cruiserweight belts? A ten year old could book those.

Vince Russo: But we don't have a ten year old, so you do it.

Eric Bischoff: And you can't say or do anything?

Vince Russo: It's all you slick.

Eric Bischoff: Good, now I can show everyone who's really got the brains back here.

Scene fades to black.

April 19th Edition of Thunder from Bloomington, IN

After the opening montage, the fans are treated to the Space Odyssey theme, the majestic music belonging to "The Nature Boy" Ric Flair, who gets an automatic pop as he steps out onto the rampway. Slowly, he makes his way down to the ring in his custom tailored suit, slowly stepping through the ropes while the crowd watches in awe. Flair grabs the microphone, listening as the whoos slowly subside.

Ric Flair: Whooooo!

I guess he just had to get em going. He smiles as they quiet down again.

Ric Flair: I'm sure I'm probably the last person you expected to start things off tonight, but there's something on my chest and I just have to get it out there.

Flair takes a couple steps, letting his words sink in like only he can.

Ric Flair: I wasn't a big fan of this whole starting over crap, stripping the belts. I'm a firm believer that you earn the belt and you keep it until you lose it.

Another momentary pause.

Ric Flair: That's why I was so disgusted when I sat in the back on Monday and watched Shane Helms....Shane Helms, a dancer not a wrestler, a dancer! I watched Shane Helms walk out with the WCW United States championship, a title I've held. A title that guys like Sting, Lex Luger, and Ricky Steamboat have all held. One of the most prestigious championships in all of wrestling and a boy band dancer is the champion. It makes me sick.

Before Ric can get another word out, some new music is heard, a high energy, futuristic type beat followed by the United States champion, Shane Helms, stepping out onto the rampway in his shorts and a WCW t-shirt. He slides into the ring, getting a decent pop himself, as he stands right in front of Ric Flair, asking for the mic. Flair looks him over, then reluctantly gives up the mic.

Shane Helms: Ric Flair. The name itself might as wayell mean champion. Growin' up down thurr in North Currolina, you were my idol Ric. Hell, to me, you were wrestling. From the Mid-Atlantic to the NWA to the WCW, every belt goes through Ric Flair. Now Monday Night was one o'da bayest nights o'my life, winnin' this here title. You named the names Ric, that's why this belt means so much ta me, look at e'ryone that's held it. They're legends.

Flair interrupts and grabs the mic.

Ric Flair: But you didn't earn it. You got thrown into a match, you took a spot that wasn't yours, and you came away on top.

Helms takes the mic back.

Shane Helms: I can't help how I got the shot Ric, but I did earn this title by beating Jeff Jarrett, right in the middle of the ring.

Flair takes his turn.

Ric Flair: You haven't earned that spot yet kid.

Helms takes the mic at Flair's offering, but doesn't speak right away. He seems rejected, rejected by his idol. He looks around, then looks right into Flair's eyes.

Shane Helms: Then tell me how to earn it.

Flair's surprised at how this is turning out and prepares his response.

Ric Flair: There's a saying kid. To be the man, you have to beat the man, whoooo!

The crowd responds with a whooo of their own.

Ric Flair: And son, turst me when I say that I'm still the man.

The crowd pops huge for this statement and Flair continues.

Ric Flair: You wanna be a real champion and earn that title? Then next Thursday, you meet me in the middle of this ring.

Helms takes the mic, looking around the arena, hesitant to say anything else. He finally seems to gather the courage and looks at the US Title, rubbing it before looking Flair in the eyes.

Shane Helms: You're on.

Flair smiles as he steps out of the ring and Thunder fades to it's first commercial.

~~~COMMERCIAL BREAK~~~

Thunder fades back into Bobby Heenan and Mike Tenay sitting ringside.

Mike Tenay: What an opening statement from Ric Flair!

Bobby Heenan: You're right about that Tenay, but Shane Helms held his own and next week, we could witness a classic.

Mike Tenay: We've got some classics tonight too Heenan. Two more belts will be decided!

Bobby Heenan: That's right Tenay.

Mike Tenay: And as a matter of fact, we're starting off with the Cruiserweight Battle Royal! Let's go to the ring.

Cruiserweight Battle Royal

Chavo, Juvi, Kid Romeo, Lash, Mysterio, The Artist, Crowbar, La Parka, Elix Skipper, and Alan Funk were the ten names entered into this battle royal. As soon as the bell rings, everything explodes and body parts start going every which way. There's punches being exchanged, chops being laced, and boots being stomped. La Parka is using his size advantage, backing Mysterio into the corner and kneeing him in his upper chest. La Parka lifts Mysterio up to the top turnbuckle but Lash manages to roll La Parka up from behind. Mysterio comes off the turnbuckle with a leg drop to the throat of La Parka. Lash takes a crescent kick from Crowbar and spins, nearly going over the top rope. Romeo and Elix Skipper, working as a team, both tried to lift Lash over, but were interrupted by The Artist, who managed to eliminate Romeo but Skipper landed with both feet on the apron, outside of the ropes. Juvi came flying with a leaping sidekick but Skipper dropped down to a prone position on the mat, pulling the top rope with him and Juvi goes sailing over the top, eliminating himself. Chavo with a spinning DDT on Funk, but as soon as Chavo stood back up, he took a seated dropkick from The Artist, Chavo falling back into the ropes. Artist follows it with a clothesline, but Chavo manages to hold on, staying in the ring and fighting off Artist with right hands. Chavo with a back suplex and Artist lands in the middle of the ring. La Parka with a charging elbow to the face of Crowbar. He follows with a wobbly knee walk into a kneedrop! La Parka full of celebration, but that allows Chavo to grab him from behind and run him right over the top rope! Lash tries to surprise Chavo but Chavo ducks down, rolling out of the way. Lash stands up and Skipper kicks him in the midsection. Lash holds onto Skipper's foot, so Skipper lifts himself up, taking down Lash with an insiguri. Mysterio waits for Skipper to turn back around and delivers a hurricanrana that sends him sliding across the ring. Alan Funk charges at Rey and Rey lifts him into the air, Funk crotching himself on the top rope but not quite falling over. Crowbar springboards off the second turnbuckle, turns his body and nails a crossbody on Funk, knocking him to the outside but at the same time, Crowbar lands out there as well! Crowbar eliminated himself! Mysterio with a facebuster on Artist and Elix heads up to the top turnbuckle, sizing up Artist. That proved to be a mistake when Chavo dropkicked the rope and Skipper crotched himself on the way to falling to the outside, eliminated. Mysterio went for a hurricanrana on Lash, but Lash stopped him mid-move and tried to turn it into a powerbomb over the top rope. Mysterio showed superior athleticism by keeping the move in tact, rolling in under the bottom rope and sending Lash out over the top! As soon as Mysterio stood up though, Artist tossed him to the outside, then turned back to the ring where Chavo dropkicked him. Artist nearly fell over, but managed to hang on and connect with a back kick to Chavo. Arist with a bodyslam, then a legdrop, but when he tried to carry Chavo to dump him, he couldn't complete it. Artist with some chops to the chest, hoping to soften Chavo, but when he lifts Chavo over the top rope, Chavo lands on the apron and nails Artist with a right hand. Chavo drove his shoulder into Artist's midsection, then suplexed him over the top rope, releasing him so Artist lands sideways on the outside! Chavo Guerrero's the new WCW Cruiserweight Champion!

Winner: Chavo Guerrero Jr.

Chavo celebrates as the scene fades to commercial.

~~~COMMERCIAL BREAK~~~

Tenay and Heenan talk about Guerrero's victory for the Cruiserweight Title, then talk about how Van Hammer matches up with The Wall.

The Wall vs. Van Hammer

Hammer's a good sized guy and he was feeling pretty confident when he stepped up to The Wall, nailing him with a right hand, then a right forearm to Wall's chest followed by a couple more. Hammer really thought he was in control when he went for a charging big boot. Wall moved and Hammer ended up straddling the top rope. Wall bounced him up and down on the top rope before bringing him back into the ring. Wall lifted Hammer to his feet, then put his massive hand around Hammer's throat. With ease, he lifted Hammer into the air and delivered him to the mat with a thunderous chokeslam. Wall stood on Hammer's chest with one boot while Mickey Jay made the three count.

Cameras go backstage where the image starts off on a pair of title belts, the WCW Tag Team titles. As the camera zooms out, you see Chris Candido standing next to Jamie Knoble, a site that up until mid-Nitro, you may have never imagined. Mean Gene asks the qeustion and Candido offers the explanation.

Gene Okerlund: Chris Candido, how exactly did this pairing come about?

Chris Candido: The way I saw it, there were two options. I could continue to float around WCW, just under the radar, putting on good matches but not getting noticed....or I could take advantage of this starting over situation.

Gene Okerlund: You could have gone for any title though, why the tag team belts?

Chris Candido: Because I knew I wasn't the only one in this position. I had been watching Jamie for a while and I knew that he was in the same situation, putting on great matches but staying under the radar. Jamie and I are a lotta like Okerlund. We don't need some stupid name or some phony exercise gimmick. We just go to the ring and get *beep* done.

Gene Okerlund: Jamie, how's it feel to have that belt around your waist?

Jamie Knoble: Word's cane't deescribe it Okerlund.

Gene Okerlund: Well there ya have it. Chris Candido, his new partner, Jamie Knoble. Your tag team champions!

The scene fades to commercial.

~~~COMMERCIAL BREAK~~~

Hugh Morrus vs. Berlyn

The old german gimmick doesn't seem to be working with the fans as they were silent when Berlyn made his way down. They popped for Morrus though and he was off to the early start, putting Berlyn in a side headlock, letting Berlyn go behind, then putting him in a full nelson into a full nelson slam for a quick one count. Morrus with clobbering right hands, then sends Berlyn into the ropes, powerpressing him into the air, then letting him fall to the mat. Morrus missed a big splash and Berlyn kicked him in the head. Berlyn pulled Morrus' arm around into a hammerlock, then lifted him into the air and slammed him right on his wrist. Berlyn then extended Morrus' arm and dropped a knee into that same wrist before twisting it around in a semi-armbar. Berlyn with a dropkick to the shoulder of Morrus, knocking him back into the corner. Berlyn spreads out Morrus' arms and drives a forearm into his chest, then starts driving his shoulder into Morrus' midsection. He does it again but this time, Morrus grabs Berlyn, lifting him into the air. Morrus slams him into the mat with a powerbomb! Berlyn's body shakes towards the middle of the ring while Morrus heads to the top. He delivers the No Laughing Matter and gets the win.

Winner: Hugh Morrus

Backstage, Kid Romeo and Elix Skipper are stretching in their red tights when in walks Miss Hancock, looking oh so lovely. They immediately stop the stretching and stand up, trying to compose themselves.

Miss Hancock: Hello boys. Before, you asked me for my...

She looks them both up and down seductively.

Miss Hancock:...services. I had planned to talk with you about that proposal tonight, but then I see your fighting each other in the Cruiserweight battle royal.

Elix Skipper: Yea, we're hoping that'll put the odds in our favor.

Miss Hancock: But I don't do singles, I only do two at a time.

Again, her sexual inuendoes seem to catch the duo offguard. She starts to back out the door.

Miss Hancock: Come see me when you think you can handle that.

She winks and walks off, leaving Skipper and Romeo speechless as the commercials roll.

~~~COMMERCIAL BREAK~~~

Bryan Clarke vs. Stevie Ray

Always interesting to see two guys go one on one when you're used to seeing them in tag action. That said, this match was nothing pretty. Beyond the basic punches, neither man showed much offense and there wasn't even a good flow to it. Stevie Ray got a two count after a big boot, but when he went for a double underhook DDT, Clarke powered out. Clarke went for the Meltdown, but dropped Stevie halfway through. Always a trooper, he tried again and managed to execute a shaky version of the move for the win.

Winner: Bryan Clarke

Footage rolls of the attack by Mike Awesome on Sid. It shows the stiff piledriver and then the footage shows the huge Awesome Splash right onto the ribs of Sid. The footage ends with the phrase "The Beast Returns This Monday." A huge pop from the crowd for that as Thunder fades into commercials..

~~~COMMERCIAL BREAK~~~

Hardcore Invitational

Bam Bam Bigelow, Crowbar, Dustin Rhodes, Fit Finlay, Konnan, Meng, Rick Steiner, and Tank Abbott were the eight men that showed up for the Hardcore Invitational. Rhodes stuck out as the most unusual, but he'd been in his share of bunk house brawls, so go figure. The bell rang and hell broke out in the ring, except for Crowbar, who slid to the outside and went under the ring, the first man to grab a weapon. Appropriately enough, he pulled out a crowbar. Konnan saw him and slid outside, managing to connect with a right hand before Crowbar could use the crowbar. More rights from Konnan and Crowbar dropped the weapon before getting his head rammed into the steel guardrail. Rhodes is tossed to the outside by Tank Abbott and Finlay is lighting up the chest of Meng with open handed chops. Meng takes a few before responding with a karate chop of his own to the head of Finlay, knocking him back. Steiner with a clothesline on Bigelow, Bam Bam barely moving, then headbutting Steiner, who barely backs up and comes back with another clothesline followed by another Bigelow headbutt. Abbott comes over and runs both of their heads together, then gets drilled in the head by the crowbar from Dustin Rhodes! Rhodes slides in the ring, driving the crowbar into Abbott's midsection before getting grabbed around his throat by the monster Meng. Meng locks in the tongan death grip, forcing Rhodes down to the mat but Finlay's boot to the back of Meng's head stops that momentum. Konnan slides into the ring with a steel chair but Rick Steiner clotheslines the chair into Konnan's face before he can swing it. Bigelow nails Steiner with a kick to the midsection, then lifts him into the air, turning him upside down and driving him head first with a piledriver into the steel chair! Crowbar slides a cookie sheet into the ring, then grabs a stop sign and slides that into the ring, then grabs a two by four and slides in himself. He fights off some stomps from Bigelow, then drives the two by four into Bigelow's midsection before DDTing him onto the stop sign. Meng has Finlay in the corner and charges, but Finlay moves out of the way. Finlay grabs the cookie sheet and smacks Meng in the face with it, then pulls back and does it again. He went for a trifecta, but Crowbar with a german suplex dropped Finlay on the same stop sign where Bigelow was laying. Crowbar ducked a right hand from Abbot, picked up the two by four and hit Abbott in the knee with it. He followed that with a stiff side kick, then ran the two by four into the chest of Abbott, knocking him all the way to the outside. Konnan looks for the rolling clothesline on Rhodes, but Rhodes grabs the fallen cookie sheet and when Konnan rolls through, he rolls right into a stiff shot! Rhodes holds the cookie sheet up in celebration but never sees Crowbar coming off the top rope with a missile dropkick into the cookie sheet into the face of Rhodes! Crowbar rolls Rhodes up and gets the three count just before Meng makes the save!

Winner: Crowbar

Crowbar rolls out of the ring, avoiding Meng as he grabs the WCW Hardcore Title and the scene fades to commercial.

~~~COMMERCIAL BREAK~~~

Shawn Stasiak vs. The Cat

Cat does a quick splits, then slides back up to his feet and that's when Stasiak nailed him with a right hand, having seen enough of the dance routine. Stasiak with a double underhook butterfly suplex, turning and planting Cat. Stasiak follows that with a knee to the Cat's midsection while he's standing, then another knee followed by a european uppercut, knocking Cat backwards, Cat turning and landing chest first across the second rope. Stasiak charges, looking to land on Cat's back and drive his throat into the rope, but Cat moves and Stasiak nearly crotches himself on the second rope. Cat gets a pop for his escape, then bounces off the ropes, spinning and connecting with a heel kick to Stasiak, knocking him into the corner. Cat leaps up to the second turnbuckle, then delivers ten straight right hands to the head of Stasiak before dropping to the mat, doing another little dance. He turned back to Stasiak, got kicked in the midsection and then bodyslammed right there in the middle of the ring. Stasiak snaps Cat's leg over his body, almost putting his foot to the side of his own head. Cat grabs at the back of his thigh instantly, which is exactly where Stasiak kicks him. Stasiak pulls Cat to his feet, but Cat spins out of the hold and delivers a back suplex, Stasiak's head bouncing off the mat. Cat back up to his feet but only to drop a fist into the forehead of Stasiak and start his James Brown impersonation again. Stasiak gets back to his feet and Cat goes for a back body drop, instead getting planted to the mat with a DDT that nearly stood him on end. Stasiak makes the cover, but Cat's foot is on the bottom rope. Stasiak sends Cat into the ropes, Cat ducks a clothesline, then drills Stasiak with a leaping front kick that shakes Stasiak up. Cat follows that with the Feliner and gets the three count.

Winner: The Cat

Match Ratings

Chavo wins Cruiserweight Title

Match Reaction = 60.6%

Match Quality = 79.7%

Overall Rating = 71.8%

The Wall d. Van Hammer

Match Reaction = 67.2%

Match Quality = 53.0%

Overall Rating = 63.7%

Hugh Morrus d. Berlyn

Match Reaction = 68.4%

Match Quality = 79.4%

Overall Rating = 76.7%

Bryan Clarke d. Stevie Ray

Match Reaction = 74.6%

Match Quality = 73.8%

Overall Rating = 78.2%

Crowbar wins Hardcore Title

Match Reaction = 62.3%

Match Quality = 78.2%

Overall Rating = 71.9%

The Cat d. Shawn Stasiak

Match Reaction = 73.6%

Match Quality = 67.2%

Overall Rating = 75.6%

Overall Rating of 78.0%

Crowbar had TWO bites of the apple on thunder. Lost the cruiserweight, won the hardcore. Makes sense and I have no idea if you intended it or if you just forgot but it was really cool. The nutter just throws himself into any match.

ditto. the accents do make it hard. We know how they sound ;-). Wouldnt go so far to say it was POing me. Its just a diary lol :)