Greatest Soccer Player ever?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe at his peak, Maradona may have owned Pele, but just look at how long Pele was around for (in the Brazil side at the age of 17), how good he was throughout his career, against players who threw it away (Best and Maradona spring to mind).

Maybe at his peak, Maradona may have owned Pele

There you go - Maradona was the greatest ever. It's not a debate on longevity in my mind, the sheer fact that Maradona was head and shoulders above everyone who played before him, who he played with and who've played after him means he's the greatest.

Not really. A football career isn't built on one tournament, or one season. The fact is, apart from one tournament, I'd argue that Pele has always played better football then Maradona.

What you've got to take into account is the eras Pele and Maradonna played in. When Pele played it was pretty much common for him to be kicked all over the pitch and it's amazing that he never had a major serious injury.

If Pele played in the early 80's to late 80's he'd have been even better than he was.

He did well in League one, till he got injured.

I rmember one of his last games for us, a cold night in Stockport.

Took the ball past 5 players on the wing, then megged the keeper. Amazing goal.

If George Best hadnt been Irish and had played in World Cups then he'd have been the best no doubt. The things he could do on the ball were unbelievable. As it is, i'm gonna say Pele and Maradona are the two that stand out but my favourite player from the past is Marco Van Basten. The guy was an outstanding finisher, his technique was probably the best i've ever seen for a tall(ish) striker. Just look at his volley against the USSR for proof of that.