Man United Thread

Jook

Ronaldo and Heinze are both really risking their Manchester United careers by going to the olympics. Heinze may never be able to break into the first team because of it. I mean if we're playing well and winning games and not leaking goals Heinze won't be bought in just because we spent a bit of money on him. Also Fergie said he wont be able to play Ronaldo until November because of tiredness. But if he finds someone that can fill in effectively for Ronaldo during that time it could be possible that Ronaldo will also get shut out of the team.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest theheartbreakid

Bob Wilson was quoted in the Daily Star Sunday, that "Man Utd only won the treble, because they wrere the richest club in the world"

That is absolutley disgraceful, Man Utd won the title on pure class and ability, not because they are/were the richest club in the world!

Don't believe a word the Daily Star says. He may have said that, but I'm 99.9% sure he was misquoted.

About the Olympics thing, I think it's disgraceful that all the teams are threatening the players by taking away a players captaincy (Craig Moore - Rangers), firing players (again, Craig Moore - Rangers) and basically just yelling at them and criticising them for representing their country.

Manchester United midfielder Nicky Butt will join Newcastle, the Red Devils have confirmed.

The 29-year-old England international has left the club's tour of the United States and is ready to discuss personal terms with Newcastle.

The Red Devils' website said: "Nicky Butt has left the Manchester United tour of America.

"Manchester United have agreed terms with Newcastle United, pending a medical and Nicky Butt's personal terms."

Butt emerged from Manchester United's successful 1992 youth team alongside David Beckham, Paul Scholes and the Neville brothers to play nearly 400 matches for the club.

He won six premier league winners' medals and was in the team that beat Bayern Munich in the 1999 Champions League final.

Butt lost his place in the side last season following injury problems, however, falling behind Roy Keane, Scholes, Phil Neville and Eric Djemba-Djemba in the central midfield pecking order.

An England regular at the 2002 World Cup, he was a member of his country's Euro 2004 squad but did not add to his 35 international caps after suffering a knee injury.

Butt should fill the gap in Newcastle's squad left by the recent departure of experienced midfielder Gary Speed to Bolton Wanderers.

source ntlworld.

Thats a shame about Butt, He wasen't a bad player. Still, he's easily replaced and is probably alot better off at Newcastle anyway.

Oh, and IIRC Smith's number the other night was 14. As far as I seen he played a good match but it was the others around him that let him down up front, Bellion to be specific. He did miss the first penalty though...

Smith played pretty well against Bayern. He held the ball up really well but as said before he was on his own most of the time. Bellion wasnt crap... off the ball he did well infact, just he panicked on occasions when he did get it. I thought the team did pretty well considering how many youngsters were in. For those of you that don't know the team was...

Carroll, McShane, Keane, Spector, Bardsley, Richardson, Djordjic, Djemba, Eagles, Bellion, Smith.

against Bayern's first team.

John Spector was the most impressive of the young players, Bardsley looked good too, as (in flashes) did Eagles + Djordjic, but Spector played very well throughout. He was really composed every time he got the ball at the back and looked as though he could be a good one for the future.

Edited by Whisper in the Wind

Does anybody think Manchester United can win the title this year? Realistically.

I don't think they can, they don't have the squad. They needed to spend big money on a creative central midfeilder in my opinion. I think if they would have signed Ronaldinho a couple seasons ago, Man Utd wouldn't be in the situation they are now.

Does anybody think Manchester United can win the title this year? Realistically.

I don't think they can, they don't have the squad. They needed to spend big money on a creative central midfeilder in my opinion. I think if they would have signed Ronaldinho a couple seasons ago, Man Utd wouldn't be in the situation they are now.

Yeah I know what you mean.

Although as a Spurs fan, I'd never write off Ferguson - I just don't feel Man Utd have that 'world class' auora anymore. I mean it's all well and good signing decent squad players like Smith or Bellion, but they do need that extra player - a Beckham or a Cantona.

The 'world class' players Man Utd seem to have are - Ferdinand, Keane (still!), Scholes, perhaps Ronaldo and RVN. Everyone else can perform on their day, people like Giggs are slightly inconsistent. You compare this to Arsenal (Campbell, Viera if he stays, Pires, Henry, maybe Bergkamp, Reyes and Van Persie look good) or Chelsea (Mutu, Lampard, Robben, Duff, Makelele, Kezman)

I feel Man Utd need just that little bit of extra flair - they used to be the most exciting team to watch, now Arsenal have taken that mantle.

It would only really take one signing to remedy that - say a Ronaldinho or a Zidane type.

Rui Costa is a signing that could have some truth behind it as AC didn't use him much last year and I'm sure he wouldn't want another season like that. It also gives Man united some more time to let players like Kleberson and Fletcher mould into the first team properly.

Edited by Sam

ALEX FERGUSON has been forced to fly his top stars to New York.

The Manchester United boss acted swiftly to save the club’s reputation.

United suffered enormous criticism after fielding a bunch of youngsters in the 0-0 draw with Bayern Munich in Chicago.

They were booed by the 58,000 crowd and have had pressure put on them by tour organisers Champions World.

Last night against Celtic in Philadelphia he brought in more recognised names like Tim Howard and the Neville brothers.

Now he has buckled under pressure and will fly out top-name stars Ruud van Nistelrooy, Mikael Silvestre, Louis Saha and Paul Scholes for Saturday’s game against AC Milan in New York.

Fergie had originally left them at home to rest after Euro 2004.

He said: “I have had to do this reluctantly but we have suffered a lot of criticism because of the team we played against Bayern Munich.

“We made a big impact in America last year on tour and we want to enhance that.

“We will be bringing out Van Nistelrooy, Silvestre, Saha and Scholes for the game against AC Milan in New York.

“I understand the public want to see the stars and we do not want them to feel as if we take that lightly.

“I had left those players at home to give them a rest after Euro 2004 and others out here have had injuries, but I do not think the American public have appreciated that situation.

“We have had to take this step now for the sake of our reputation in the States.

“I understand that organisers Champions World have come under pressure.

“Last year we captured a lot of people’s minds with our football and we do not now want them to think we take them for granted.”

The players will have to undergo a 13-hour round trip for just one game — coming out on Friday and returning to England on Sunday.

Credit: The Sun

----------------------