Man United Thread

Jook

Manchester United may continue to be linked with Atletico Madrid wonder-kid Fernando Torres but fresh reports in Spain are suggesting that Barcelona's Xavi is also emerging as a possible target for Sir Alex Ferguson.

Torres, who is also interesting Milan, is tipped to make an impact in this summer's Euro 2004 finals in Portugal after netting his first international goal in the recent friendly with Italy.

It has been claimed that United have offered £27 million plus Diego Forlan for the exciting Rojiblanco prodigy, but Jesus Gil's serious health problems have delayed any negotiations and, in any case, Atletico have no desire to sell their prize asset.

Milan could use the money they are owed for Jose Mari to try and broker a deal for 'El Nino', as hinted by chief executive Adriano Galliani.

"Torres? We have never negotiated for him," he told Gazzetta dello Sport.

"It's true instead that Milan have credits with Atletico Madrid and, on June 30, there is the first instalment.

"Surely we haven't the intention to give up this credit."

As for Xavi, Spanish reports insist United are also prepared to offer Forlan in part-exchange for the clever schemer, although the Barca stalwart would not come cheaply.

Ferguson clearly lacks a midfielder capable of providing killer passes and United have toiled when trying to create chances during a relatively poor season for The Red Devils.

Xavi impressed during the pre-season friendly between the two clubs last year, although the Azulgrana star who has most caught Ferguson's attention over the past couple of seasons is rugged defender Carles Puyol.

Source

Torres would be an excellent signing for United. He's billed as the next Raul and he's been superb for Atletico Madrid. I think he's currently lies 3rd in the highest scorers of La Liga.

I don't think Xavi is what Man Utd needs. He really isn't that good, until Ronaldinho came in. He, Ronaldinho and Javier Saviola have formed a very good partnership.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Red Devil

Just thought I'd comment on a few issues discussed here.

I don't think Ruud will be leaving at the end of season because he's stated on numerous occasions he doesn't want to leave and has given reasons unlike last season when Becks just denied it. Getting onto Beckham, i loved watching him play but the final 2 years at Man Utd he was a shadow of his former self playing great for England and OK for United, that could have been down to the Fergie/Becks argument but whatever it was it hurt United more.

I may not share a popular view on Diego Forlan but i still believe he is a great player who just needs a chance, this season he only got one chance when he was given a run of games, i think 8 or 9 games where he scored around 8 goals in and what does Fergie do? drop the guy. He was on red hot form scoring a screamer against Rangers and just because Ruud had returned they had to drop Forlan who since that run has had the odd sub appearance or odd match here and there which no player would be able to really take so even though he will probably go i think that at 25 years of age the guy has a lot of promise and if he finds a team that gives him the opportunity of first team football he can and will be a success.

Yeah, Silvinho was a class player at Arsenal. Are you forgetting the wondergoals? The amazing wing-play? The assists? He had/has so much skill it was incredible. He's not as good as he was now, but he plays for Celta...so that explains it :D

I agree that Forlan is an excellent player Diego, the only problem he has is that when he gets the odd chance he isn't taking it. And no sane manager would leave a fit, in-form Van Nistelrooy out and replace him with a relatively unproven striker.

Forlan is one of my favourite players at Utd but I think he'll go in the summer unless of course Ruud does but I don't see that happening.

I also agree about Beckham, his last two seasons at United he didn't even put half the effort into it as he did for England. I'll never say he isn't a great player but I lost a ton of respect for him over that, and also the way he was negotiating with Madrid before we had even thought about selling him.

Edited by Whisper in the Wind

Roy Keane is facing a race against time to be fit for next Saturday's FA Cup final.

Manchester's United's midfield powerhouse has been ruled out of Saturday's final Premiership game of the season against Aston Villa due to a hamstring complaint.

Red Devils boss Sir Alex Ferguson has conceded his captain's injury has not responded as well as had been hoped and is worried he may not make the Millennium Stadium showdown with Millwall.

"Roy is not 100 percent fit at the moment and I want to ensure he is fit for the final," said the Scottish tactician.

"We have another seven days and, hopefully, we can get him on the training field and mended.

"His hamstring has not progressed the way we expected.

"We've worked him hard on the training ground in terms of running to get him fit.

"If there is any question of his fitness next Saturday, he will not play. You cannot start an FA Cup final if you have a hamstring problem."

Ferguson, though, will give the Republic of Ireland international every chance to prove his well-being.

"It will not worry me that he has not had games leading up to the final as long as he is fit," added Ferguson.

"That shows what a key figure he is for us on the big occasion. But I will not risk him if there are doubts."

Ferguson, meanwhile, is said to be planning for next season - with reports suggesting he is ready to move for Newcastle defender Jonathan Woodgate.

England international defender Woodgate is said to be disgruntled by Newcastle's failure to secure a place in the UEFA Champions League and is considering his future at St James' Park.

Ferguson has always held a high opinion of Woodgate and is said to be ready to dip into his substantial war chest and reunite the defender with his former Leeds team-mate Rio Ferdinand.

Newcastle would be loathe to sell the defender, even at a substantial profit, and manager Sir Bobby Robson is sure to fight hard to keep his defensive lynchpin at the club.

Source

Roy Keane to face FA Cup final heartache?

I will be laughing my head off if Millwall defeats Man Utd at the final.

Newcastle will face an uphill battle to keep Woodgate if Man Utd goes in for him. After all, they are not even in the Champions League.

Well with this season over its time to look forward to our cup final and then the next season. The way we played today was good and we showed good counter attacking. Shame bout the sendings off but they mean nothing so no worries there.

Next season with Rio back, van Nistelrooy and Saha a strike pairing and the likelyhood of a top class midfielder coming in, Manchester United will almost certainly recover from this poor season.

Well with this season over its time to look forward to our cup final and then the next season. The way we played today was good and we showed good counter attacking. Shame bout the sendings off but they mean nothing so no worries there.

As I said in the other thread that you posted this in, why don't the suspensions matter to you?

You will have Fletcher and Ronaldo both missing for at least a match now.

Because they dont matter in terms of the cup final and even if they do carry over to next term it's doubtful we'll miss either player hugely for one game.

That's a dangerous attitude to have. It's when you underestimate a team that they are most dangerous. I actually fancy Millwall for the upset in the Cup Final. I mean Man Utd have hardly been at their best this season.

Ronaldo with his usual diving, and usual kicking ball away for no reason.

Fletcher, same thing with kicking balla way, and then that POINTLESs disgraceful foul, there was no need, ball was long gone.

Edited by Cloberella

blah blah blah

I repeat, you're annoying.

Ronaldo's so called dive.. in which he got his yellow card, wasn't a dive. His ankles were clipped, and he lost balance.

Arsenal foul, dive, and waste time as much as anyone else, you can't exactly preach about it.

That's a dangerous attitude to have. It's when you underestimate a team that they are most dangerous. I actually fancy Millwall for the upset in the Cup Final. I mean Man Utd have hardly been at their best this season.

I was actually refering to the facts the suspensions won't be implemented in the Cup final. And well everyone is doubting Manchester United winning the cup final but playing the way they did yesterday they'll win it.

Also Gooner4life you're the cock all you ever say is negative stuff about teams other than Arsenal and then seemingly never see it when Arsenal do it. Dude just grow up and stop acting like an immature 8 year old.

I was actually refering to the facts the suspensions won't be implemented in the Cup final. And well everyone is doubting Manchester United winning the cup final but playing the way they did yesterday they'll win it.

Also Gooner4life you're the cock all you ever say is negative stuff about teams other than Arsenal and then seemingly never see it when Arsenal do it. Dude just grow up and stop acting like an immature 8 year old.

Thank you. We all have to grow up around here. Lets try to have a disscussion about football without and Arsenal fan going 'OMG WE WON DA TROPHY INNIT? WE IZ BETTER THAN YOU CUNTS' and so forth

Nah I don't think he did, you can see his ankles clip eachother before he goes down, it probabaly wasn't a foul but also not a dive, the trouble is referees are starting to assume it has to be one or the other. Also I thought his second card was harsh, i mean how many times do you see a player put the ball in the net once the whistle has gone and get nothing for it? All the time. Still, they won't miss the cup final and them missing one or two games at the start of next season is no big deal really.

It was coming up to the end, we were trying to play fast, and Ronaldo hit the ball away, so, that did deserve a yellow. His ankles were clipped for his first yellow, but I wouldn't say it was a foul. And I still can't believe the referee booked Angel for 'diving'. Terrible.