Man United Thread

Jook

Guest Pirate Chasin' Booty

I don't see the need in big teams signing old worldclass players, thats usually why it doesn't happen, thats why the Rivaldos and Romarios of the world end up playing for crappy teams, they aren't worth the wage.

An egotistical player wouldnt sit at a rich club on a small salary, they're more excepting at a club that doesn't have much to give and a club that'll actually really benefit from such a 'star'/'bigname' signing.

No transfer is free when you're paying your ass in wages.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah.. that's what i meant when i said i doubt a big club would need to pick an old big money earner (even when they're great players) when they could pick a good player (maybe not as good, but much better physically and with a lot more potential) who would earn a lot less and be there for a lot longer.

Just one thing though... Romario and Rivaldo both played for Barcelona. Both were major a factor in their League wins with them, and Romario even got a Champions League. Whenever they get older though, they start being less needed and therefore, with the high paying contracts they demand, they'll have a hard time getting a place in a great competitive team, while the rest who demand less per month could always be signed easier.

Darren Fletcher really is more comfortable in the centre of midfield, where he doesn't get the opportunity to play often (and hopefully won't, as I'd rather see David Jones given a chance in there myself).

Anyway, our Reserve team, featuring many of the people who won the Youth Cup a while back, have just stormed over the Reserve league, so does anybody think the best young talents in there, mainly Spector, Jones and Rossi, should be given more of a chance in the first team next season? Rossi in particular seems to me like a talent, but he has more of a lightweight frame than someone like Rooney, so would probably need easing into the team over the next season or two. I think Spector should be considered ahead of O'Shea and Phil Neville in the pcking order next season, and he's already a better full back the Quinton Fortune could ever be. I would like to see Jones be given a chance next season, but chances are he'll be loaned out for at least part of it. Gerard Pique is probably the only other one in there with a chance of making it in our first team, and given a few years could be challenging Brown and Silvestre for a starting spot next to Rio.

As a keen follower of United Reserves I can pretty much say I've been impressed this season with them. I don't however feel they are good enough quite yet.

Some of the players including the one's you've mentioned have shown true potential in the Reserve leagues but in my opinion arn't quite ready for the first team. Players like Chris Eagles and Richardson have already taken the next step in the manager's eyes. There's a big step-up between the likes of Reserve football and proper first-team premiership football - a step that loan deals (such as Richardson's and Eagle's) helps reduce. Don't forget Beckham was loaned to David Moye's Preston before he made his first-team impact.

With that in mind, I couldn't see anyone other than Eagles, Richardson and perhaps Spector or Rossi making the first team. Sure theres a lot of talent in our reserves but I'm unconvienced that the players could cope on a bigger stage like the premiership or the Champions League.

I'd like to see them given a chance in Pre-Season once again, perhaps even towards the end of this season considering there's not much left to play for, just to see how they cope with the first-team. Who knows? Maybe next season's team-sheet will see the inclusion of Lee Martin, Blake, Jones aswell as the expected others.

Man Utd beat Blues to land Mikel

Manchester United have beaten Chelsea in the race to sign teenage midfielder John Obi Mikel from Norwegian top-flight outfit Lyn Oslo.

The 18-year-old Nigerian had looked set for a move to Chelsea after having trials at Stamford Bridge.

But United have stepped in to sign the player, who only made his first-team debut for Lyn last week.

Mikel has been named in Nigeria's training squad for this year's Fifa World Youth Championship.

I'm surprised to see Roy Carroll in the lineup. I thought that Howard had been solid and was performing better than Carroll, although he did make a mistake against Newcastle.

Looks like Fergie still isn't sure who to put in goal in the FA Cup final.

Carrol isn't as bed as people make him out to be. He makes some right good saves at times. The only thing that has let him down is a tonne of blunders, just like Dudek over at Liverpool too. He's not really that bad at all.

Great win for United too, just destroyed them to pieces. What the heck is wrong with Van and Ronaldo? The FA Cup Final is weeks away, why's he resting them? Oh and I still dislike Smith, just not a touch on what he used to be at Leeds.

Guest Pirate Chasin' Booty

Manchester United have trained their sights on Nigel de Jong, but Ajax have insisted they will resist all offers for their talented defender this summer.

United's vast scouting network has highlighted the versatile de Jong as a player capable of flourishing at Old Trafford and they have had the 20-year-old watched on a number of occasions.

The Red Devils have also been encouraged by de Jong's failure to agree a new deal at The Amsterdam ArenA, with the player reportedly unhappy at being asked to operate in a number of different positions.

De Jong rose through the ranks as a full back, a position Sir Alex Ferguson is keen to boost, but he has been asked to operate in midfield under new boss Danny Blind.

Ajax are aware of the interest in de Jong, but are keen to rebuff any offers and extend his stay in Amsterdam.

"We won't let him go," Ajax director Arie van Eijden told Algemeen Dagblad. "Nigel de Jong still has a deal until 2006 and is an important player in the vision of Danny Blind.

"We will not quote a fee, we want to keep him as simple as that."

De Jong would no doubt be a great signing for United. He's the kind of player that would fit well into first-team competition and also provide excellent back-up in the case of an injury. Like the report says, he's about as versatile as about anyone else out there...only testament to the fact that he can go onto better things than Ajax.

Guest Red Devil

De Jong is a great player and would be an awesome replacement for Neville once he leaves. Hopefully we can get him but I don't think we need him this season. Our priority needs to be a world class goalkeeper and maybe a central midfielder.

De Jong’s the kind of player who if for sale, you buy.

Much like Rooney, although on a smaller scale, if he were to leave Ajax, United would do whatever they could to buy him. In terms of transfer budget this season it’ll be sign first, sell later – in the sense that several sacrifices will need to be made to ensure the overall strengthening of the team. De Jong as a defender is top notch and still at such a young age, if any of this contract talk is true you better believe United won’t miss the boat to buy him regardless of where the transfer priority lies.

Man United have just confirmed the signing of John Obi mikel, a 17 year old Nigerian playing in Norway for anywhere between £6.5m and £10m, depending on who you believe. Wg=hatever the figure is, its a hell of a lot of money for a 17 year old who's only ever player three senior games. He's cheduled to join in January 2006, but despite that will go on the Asain tour with us this Summer, and will more than likely make an impact an the first team immediately. Apparently he's an all action central midfielder in the Roy Keane/Steven Gerrard mould, but all I know of him is what I've seen in a short 10 second video clip and what people have said.

The player has spent time with both Chelsea and Man United before, training with us in 2003. Mourinho said of him, "Our scouting department has found a lad of 17 who is training with me, seems like a mature man and a player with a lot of experience. He's Nigerian, plays in Norway ... we've found gold."

He might of found gold, but he didn't get gold, we did. Sounds like he could possibly be a great signing.

Edited by Jonny D

I already posted it; it’s up the page.

What I'm unsure of is where you're getting these details, such as the cost of the transfer. The amount you're quoting seems ridiculous and to my knowledge, at no point has a fee been made public. I don't know much about him other than what was in the MUtv feature they did on him, I wouldn’t say he's quite in the same league as a lot of our other players but more so a future prospect of sorts. Henning Berg gave his thoughts on the signing on manutd.com, he being a coach at the club Mikel was signed from, I'd check it out for more details.

As for the match today, I'm pretty confident we'll be able to pull off a convincing win. West Brom will surely be up for a fight but I reckon we should have enough class to walk out on top, hopefully banging a few past them. As for team news, I only know that Ruud will start with Saha on the bench...Hopefully one or the other will provide a goal or two.

I already posted it; it’s up the page.

What I'm unsure of is where you're getting these details, such as the cost of the transfer. The amount you're quoting seems ridiculous and to my knowledge, at no point has a fee been made public. I don't know much about him other than what was in the MUtv feature they did on him, I wouldn’t say he's quite in the same league as a lot of our other players but more so a future prospect of sorts. Henning Berg gave his thoughts on the signing on manutd.com, he being a coach at the club Mikel was signed from, I'd check it out for more details.