Man United Thread

Jook

From what I've heard, Mikel agreed to sign for United much to Chelsea's anger...Then after receiving a few 'death-threats' (read: Chelsea offer more money) he changed his mind. Apparently he's been in hiding and there's even rumours of him being in London attending talks with Chelsea.

All in all the story sounds all too exaggerated and a lot of it's probably generated on the idea of selling a few newspapers. Sure, the player’s said to possess a good deal of talent but even this story is ridiculous. It just seems like every player that United is linked with, Chelsea are reportedly ready to ‘snatch’ them right from under they’re nose.

You come to expect these things in football especially when such a team has the financial backing of Chelsea.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man United fans make me sick. Just because they wanted to beat the Chelsea fans down the M6 to London they left early and never stayed for the lap of honour. I don't care what people say, sneaking out of the ground on your last home game of the season 5 minutes early just because you're losing is pathetic. Noticed Alan Smith looked around the ground and wondered what the fuck he is doing there. To be fair, no-one deserves an empty crowd more than him

At least Man United fans don't have far to travel to their home games next season, unless they live in East London. Hey, it's a big city

But the main point of a lap of honour is for the players to applaud the fans on their support throughout the season. Regardless of how well the team did, walking out while they tried to show appreication for the Man United fans support is disrespectful to the players. No matter how bad the team does. I guarantee that if West Brom get relegated on Sunday in their home game (I don't support them BTW), I bet their fans will stay behind and respect the lap of honour

Yes they will, because the West Brom players have worked like dogs this season and whatever happens on Sunday, WBA fans will know their team has tried their very best. This season has not been good enough for Manchester United, for a number of obvious reasons, including bad management and players seemingly not giving a toss half of the time, and the fans showed that. Good on them.

Edited by Jonny D

Malcolm Glazer has taken another major step towards taking overall control of Manchester United by buying more shares from Harry Dobson.

Click here to read our earlier story on Glazer's £790 million bid for United.

The American tycoon followed up his buy-out of Irish duo J.P.McManus and John Magnier's Cubic Expression vehicle by splashing out on the 17 million shares owned by Dobson's Mountbarrow Investments Ltd.

With Dobson selling his 6.45 percent stake in The Red Devils, it is surely only a matter of time before Glazer has the 75 percent total that rubber-stamps his takeover and takes the company private.

After taking control earlier on Thursday, the American has paid 300p per share to Dobson, according to a statement released on the Regulatory News Service. The developments mean he now owns 63.25 percent of United.

Some sources are indicating that the 75 percent threshold could even be breached within 24 hours, although it may take a little longer before the Tampa Bay Buccaneers owner gets his way.

Glazer has overall control, in any case, and could make sweeping changes within 60 days - including alterations to the current board.

United supporters are planning to protest at Old Trafford on Thursday evening as they continue to fight the takeover.

I think people, more specifically idiots, are reading into this situation way too much.

So yeah, it happened to Leeds. Does it happen to all clubs upon takeover? No. It has been outlined that the club will be in debt by nothing other than the tabloids. Truth be told, no one really knows what the club will be like after the seemingly inevitable purchase.

Also as far as having no transfer funds, Glazer in an earlier proposal promised to provide at least £20 Million in the first season, a lot better than the current ‘sell before you buy’ policy.

I think people, more specifically idiots, are reading into this situation way too much.

So yeah, it happened to Leeds. Does it happen to all clubs upon takeover? No. It has been outlined that the club will be in debt by nothing other than the tabloids. Truth be told, no one really knows what the club will be like after the seemingly inevitable purchase.

Also as far as having no transfer funds, Glazer in an earlier proposal promised to provide at least £20 Million in the first season, a lot better than the current ‘sell before you buy’ policy.

You'll have the money to buy players, but you need to realise this is BAD for Manchester United.

Ticket prices, kits, season tickets, all sorts of merchandise will be going up in prices because you'll be paying off the Glazier's debts for years to come. Not even half of the money he's using to takeover the club is even his (I think), it's mostly the banks.

Even though I'm an Arsenal fan, and I'd like nothing better than for Man Utd to get relegated etc, I don't want this to happen.

Guest Red Devil

I'm not in favour of this but if he managed to turn around the fortunes of the Tampa Bay Bucaneers then what's to say he can't do the same for United? Also he still has yet to make a full takeover and may be stopped even though it seems inevitable.

Well the main thing about all this is what of Fergusons future?

I'm not to sure if Glazer will be to delighted to have him around seeing as the power he seems to have at the club. Before this week next season was looking quite good but now that all seems to be gone with the huge implications that this takeover will have on us. It wont be anything like the one that happened at Chelsea and right now the future of Man Utd is looking rather bleak. Miles behind Chelsea in the league and now seemingly heading towards huge debts.

Edited by Sam

This can do no good for

Man Utd. Glazer is no Abramovich, and he'll just put the (once) richest club in the world into debts. A poor season could now turn into a disasterous one.

I've read that some Man Utd fans are planning to boycott matches and merchandise. IMO, this will do no good at all for Man Utd. If Glazer doesn't make a profit, he doesn't bear the debt, Man Utd do.

Edited by G-O-D

My Utd friend who seems to know everything about this whole situation is saying this is going to affect every Premiership side bar Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool. Something about TV money.

Also, if he does get full control, Man Utd will be £500m in debt which means they will HAVE to win the league or the Champion's League nearly every season.

Guest Pirate Chasin' Booty

He doesn't have the money, he'll be borrowing against the club, thus putting the club in debt, it doesn't make any sense for him to takeover an already solid club, but hey, you've gotta laugh.

I'm sort of sorry to all the ManU fans out there. On one hand, this guy is gonna destroy your franchise pretty much, unless he sells a lot of other assets of his ... like the Tampa Bucs. But anyway, there's also the side of me that knows the current ownership has dealt with George Steinbrenner (NY Yankees owner). That and ManU is the Yanks of football.

ManU destroyed. ? - 2005.

Heh apparently Glazer will look to deal with sky sports and football coverage using Manchester United on its own rather than the joint package the premier league currently does resulting in many teams lower down the league losing out on a heck of a lot of tv revenue and really villanising Man U.

Glazer’s already in debt from the banks. The money he’s used to buy his current percentage (said to be reaching 70-ish) is al borrowed. Once he reaches 75%, the club will have to pay his debts.

So yeah, looking at it on paper it looks like a pretty shitty deal but who knows? Glazer may have a lot more to offer than most people are already assuming. Although the initial debt seems extraordinary, the long-term effect on the club may be a positive one.

Manchester United is a plc and it was only a matter of time before it was sold, this is far from the ‘death’ of this football club.

The Uefa executive committee have reiterated that clubs heavily in debt to banks will not be allowed to play in European competition in 2007/2008.

Although it is perhaps unlikely the ruling will have any impact on Manchester United in the wake of Malcolm Glazer's attemped takeover, their licence could be reviewed under the new guidelines.

It could mean United being told they could not compete in the UEFA Champions League, the continent's most lucrative competition.

"The idea is to make the regulations more progressive, but it will not be possible to impose a limit of say, €60 million debt across the board, because there are so many differences in the finances of all clubs in Europe," said a Uefa spokesman.

"However, if one club was permanently in debt to the banks, and the debt showed no sign of clearing or, in fact, got bigger year by year, then we would look very closely at that situation and then the licence of that club would have to be reviewed."

Glazer, who launched a £790 million bid for United on Thursday, is close to the 75 percent stake that gives him full control at Old Trafford and the ability to take the club into private ownership.

The American businessman confirmed to the Stock Exchange that he now owns almost 70 percent of the club, with more shares being bought on Friday.

Red Devils manager Sir Alex Ferguson refused to give any lengthy response to the situation when questioned by The Scotsman.

"I always look forward, and I do so again, but we'll just have to wait and see what is going to happen," said Ferguson.

I'm not exactly in favour of this but I am willing to give him a chance as long as he sticks with Fergie and most of the players.

However I don't agree with the fact that he is borrowing £500m. How the fuck is he going to get that sort of money back?

Also is there any Buckeneer fans here? If so what is your opinion of Glazier?