Drowning Pool left without Vocalist

livid

Texas-based metallers DROWNING POOL have parted ways with singer Jason "Gong" Jones. Jones apparently announced his decision to leave the band on the eve of the group's scheduled appearance in their hometown of Dallas on Sunday, June 12, resulting in the show's cancellation.

Jones officially joined DROWNING POOL in 2003 following the death of previous frontman Dave Williams. Jason went on to sing on the band's sophomore album, "Desensitized", which was released in April 2004 via Wind-Up Records, and spent most of the last year touring with the group in support of the CD.

A relative unknown, Gong had previously auditioned for the then-vacant singer slot in SEPULTURA during the Brazilian band's vocalist search in 1997 and was briefly a member of CHOP SHOP, the short-lived Los Angeles group led by ex-MANHOLE guitarist Scott Ueda. Prior to joining DROWNING POOL, Jones was linked with a project formed by ex-FEAR FACTORY guitarist Dino Cazares (with whom he recorded a three-song demo) and was believed to be involved with FIVE-O-CLOCK, a short-lived group featuring former AMEN guitarist Sonny Mayo, ex-WHITE ZOMBIE drummer Ivan De Prume and bassist Stevo Bruno.

The 30-year-old Williams was found dead on the DROWNING POOL tour bus on August 14, 2002 while the band were touring as part of the U.S. Ozzfest. An inquest into the singer's death in September 2002 concluded that the vocalist died from cardiomyopathy, a heart muscle disease for which he was never diagnosed. No traces of drugs were found in Williams' system, finally dispelling widespread speculation about the cause of his death.

Interesting, can't say I'm bothered either way really. I just hope the guys can get a consistant frontman from here on in. I'd have suggested Jonny Santos myself, but seeing as he's already off doing something else I believe I don't think that would be happening.

• 5 weeks later...

According to DROWNING POOL's web site, the band will be making a one-off appearance at this year's Ozzfest on August 25 at the Smirnoff Music Center in Dallas, Texas. The band will perform on the main stage in front of their hometown crowd in what promises to be the group's debut live appearance with their new singer, whose identity has yet to be revealed.

DROWNING POOL in June officially confirmed the departure of vocalist Jason "Gong" Jones less than two years after officially bringing him into the band. Jones has since teamed up with ex-STILL NAIVE guitarist Rob Dehaven and CANVAS members Clint Campbell (guitars and voice), Dean Andrews (drums) and Kenny Harrleson (bass) in the newly christened Orlando, Florida rock band A.M. CONSPIRACY.

Manager Paul Bassman told Launch Radio Networks that while DROWNING POOL was "very proud" of the album the band made with Jones, 2004's "Desensitized", the relationship with the vocalist "just didn't work out."

Bassman said the new singer was "really good" and someone the band had wanted when they first set out to replace original vocalist Dave Williams nearly two years ago (one rumored candidate is said to be former SOIL frontman Ryan McCombs).

Williams was found dead on DROWNING POOL's tour bus in August of 2002 while the group was on the road with that summer's Ozzfest. An autopsy revealed that Williams died from cardiomyopathy, a heart muscle disease for which he was never diagnosed.

A lengthy search led the surviving members to Jones, who had previously tried out for Brazilian metal act SEPULTURA and had worked on various projects with members of WHITE ZOMBIE, FEAR FACTORY and others. His one album with DROWNING POOL, "Desensitized", arrived in April of 2004, with the quartet spending most of the last year touring in support of the record.

So does that mean no more Soil? That's sad. Although it will give me a reason to actually like Drowning Pool.

EDIT

Ah, I did not know Soil already had a new singer. I've been out of the loop apparently. Good news for all then.

Edited by Zero

Drowning Pool did a free concert like, four years ago. They rocked. Hard. I'll never forget it.

I've never heard anything but their first album. Which I know I loved at the time but can't seem to remember besides "Bodies".